Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 16:08   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Mr Pervez at Mazda Motors where I ended up last, was of the opinion that I should not be spending the 1L rupees that it would cost to do a strip and paint job at his garage. He also said that his opinion was that the car doesn't need it right now. He said there was hardly any corrosion, and can easily be fixed. He said I should just get that addressed, fix the dents and paint whatever panels need to be painted. Of course, this means that I cannot change the color of the car. Which is fine with me. He also mentioned a certain polish, that costs 5k, that he guarantees will bring the shine back into the somewhat dull panels of the car. He was confident that those panels will NOT need to be repainted, and they will match the freshly painted panels! I'm going by his word. Front bumper needs to be changed. Overall, I think this one will set me back by about 30-35k. Work begins on Thursday. Will post the progress.
Mr. Pervez probably didn't remove his sunglasses. There is quite a lot of corrosion. You must paint the car. Putting in 15k extra will paint the car completely at a competitive paint shop in Pune. Choice is yours.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Mr. Pervez probably didn't remove his sunglasses. There is quite a lot of corrosion. You must paint the car. Putting in 15k extra will paint the car completely at a competitive paint shop in Pune. Choice is yours.
Baba, I am painting the car, and in all likelihood, it will be a full overcoat. In the booth. With Standox paint. But he only advised against stripping down the whole car, and hence changing color also. He said that all parts where corrosion has set in will be addressed. And also the dents on the part above the doors will be taken care of along with all the others.

I dont want to get it done in Pune for just one reason - want to be around to damp the hell out of the car when the pieces are taken apart. Like the hood liner, the inside of the part above the doors, the flooring, the engine firewall etc. Not that its a problem for me to do it myself, but why have a second exercise?
Old 11th November 2008, 19:55   #78
A.R
BHPian

30-35k and still not a a comprehensive Paint job? Is labour in Mumbai so expensive?

When I checked for quotes in Bangalore for my Baleno, I got quotes in the range 20-25 to strip & paint completely. Polishing & paint protection was offered at a discount.
Old 12th November 2008, 14:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Is there a space saver spare wheel solution available for the Lancer? Something that is really slim and can be driven for about 20-25kms in the event of a flat?

Also, is it advisable to stock one of those cans that can be used to temporarily inflate a completely deflated tire? If yes, any brands?
Old 12th November 2008, 14:30   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a space saver spare wheel solution available for the Lancer? Something that is really slim and can be driven for about 20-25kms in the event of a flat?

Also, is it advisable to stock one of those cans that can be used to temporarily inflate a completely deflated tire? If yes, any brands?
Planning for a wheel well sub install????
Old 12th November 2008, 16:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Certainly looks like it! Unless he's planning a plexiglass cum fancy lighting display for his Amps a la Vkram18.

Ajay - With your tubeless tires, the probability of a puncture are extremely low. Even if you do have one, you'll know well before your tire deflates, so that you'll have enough time to get to a service station. (Unless you have a sidewall cut or something).

Given the proximity of your office to your home, I think you could leave the spare at home on most days. For the times you are going to be driving on the highway, just dump a spare into the boot.

EDIT: I know this is not the best advice and can be foolhardy - but keep in mind this is the same person who was once upon a time considering having the spare wheel of his Wagon R mounted on the tailgate SUV style just to make space in the boot!!

Last edited by swale84 : 12th November 2008 at 16:12.
Old 12th November 2008, 23:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

i second suhail. the tubeless tyres on your car can run about 15 km without any troubles. and a tyre walla is always at arms length ya! forget the space saver! i mean SAVE the space but chuck the wheel!
Old 12th November 2008, 23:11   #83
Team-BHP Support

The boot i pretty huge. Get the 175/80-13 OE tyre size and just put it somewhere else in the boot.
Old 13th November 2008, 02:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

The car is fantastic to drive Ajay, it's a real steal & maintained very well! Thanks for the extended drive!

And the wheels look great while the tyres are working perfectly! Now you only need to tackle that almost minimal rust & bodywork and of course the audio install and you're all done!

And, forget about the body kit, the car looks fantastic as is now!
Old 13th November 2008, 17:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
The car is fantastic to drive Ajay, it's a real steal & maintained very well! Thanks for the extended drive!
Thanks, even I thought so. But since I did not have a reference, I wasn't sure. So I guess plans change once again, and Gogi sir's cousin will indeed do the tin / paint for me.

Quote:
Quote:
Certainly looks like it! Unless he's planning a plexiglass cum fancy lighting display for his Amps a la Vkram18.
Nothing finalized as yet, but it is better to make as much room as possible to begin with and then explore the options.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 13th November 2008 at 17:31.
Old 13th November 2008, 21:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

v16's cousin? whats the name of the workshop? and a full scrap or just an overcoat?
Old 19th November 2008, 11:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

Update: Car has been given for painting at Gogi sir's cousin's garage. The car will be completely stripped, and repainted. They suggested I do this since any and all corrosion will be evident when this is done. I also dont mind it. Will damp the living daylights outta the car while she's bare. Also probing the possibility for a "front subwoofer".

Now I have the option for a color change. Can anyone suggest some good colors for the car? I dont want it looking too youthful. I am not going for the sports body kit. Just want it to look elegant and executive-ish. Silver would be a good option for this, I think. Any other suggestions? Whats the name for the Lancer stock silver color?
Old 19th November 2008, 11:30   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Car has been given for painting at Gogi sir's cousin's garage. The car will be completely stripped, and repainted. They suggested I do this since any and all corrosion will be evident when this is done. I also dont mind it. Will damp the living daylights outta the car while she's bare. Also probing the possibility for a "front subwoofer".

Now I have the option for a color change. Can anyone suggest some good colors for the car? I dont want it looking too youthful. I am not going for the sports body kit. Just want it to look elegant and executive-ish. Silver would be a good option for this, I think. Any other suggestions? Whats the name for the Lancer stock silver color?
Waah !
Sudden change of plan eh ? Hum log ne sar patak patak ke bola to mana nahi :(
Anyways glad that you are doing the right thing. Silver i guess is the best option you have.
Black would also look nice but will be pain to maintain.

The Lancer's stock silver is called Symphonic Silver.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

BLACK ! black is a beautiful colour on the lancer. Even if you go for the silver, make it a shade of silver, not the pure bland silver.
Old 26th November 2008, 14:27   #90
Senior - BHPian

Clear headlamps cannot be installed on my car without buying a new hood. And apparently without adding the new look grill. So I got myself a full set of replacement parts of the older gen Lancer.

List provided to me is thus.

Head Lights - 1800/-
C Light (? - I think these are the indicator lights next to the head lights) - 500/-
Show Grill - 500/-
Front Bumper - 1400/-
Tail Blazzer plain (probably the reflectors on the trunk lid) - 900
Tail Lamp - 1800/-
Side Indicators - 400/-
Monograms Set - 300/-

All lights are Depo. Some of them procured from a Mitsubishi Showroom. Very cheap, I must add.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks