Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2008, 09:14   #1
BHPian

And another Lancer

I am posting after sometime as the last few months have been terribly busy travelling. I started off my introduction here saying I would be going in for a Swift Vdi, after which days, weeks, months passed by and I have been changing my decision on and off. Nearly booked the Getz CRDi.

But then, I am only home in India for barely 3 weeks a year so finally listening to my friends I chucked the idea of going in for a new car and adding accessories to it, instead I decided on an used car.

The hunt for a used car is definitely not easy, and certainly not sitting so far away. A couple of my friends in Calcutta helped me a lot and a couple of mails to few members based in Kolkata and I set my mind on an used Lancer.

My friends checked out 8 lancers and finally short-listed only one. The possession is due to be taken on Monday after my friend has checked the paperwork etc.

The car would be going through a complete overhaul. I have been thinking of body kits, which are not too extensive, may be a decent looking bumper mated with a good spoiler.
More on the list are complete beige interiors, 15-inch alloys; free flow exhaust and performance air filters. I have been warned against Angel eye headlights, so I would see the best way to improve the lighting could be a xenon conversion may be?

The ICE is also something, which needs to be given a thought.

A few pictures before the project begins – terrible pictures thanks to my friend, but he promised to send me better ones soon.

I have been in China since the last one week and would be here till Christmas which is when I go home to see my car, I must say there are some amazingly modified lancers around here which are helping me take ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
And another Lancer-2.jpg  

And another Lancer-3.jpg  

And another Lancer-4.jpg  

And another Lancer-5.jpg  

And another Lancer-6.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 15th November 2008, 09:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

It looks like a SFXi withe the full body kit and the nice alloys but the front bumper skirt is missing.
Old 15th November 2008, 09:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
It looks like a SFXi withe the full body kit and the nice alloys but the front bumper skirt is missing.
It is an SFXi, however I personally do not like the alloys - its one of the first things going out of the car.
Old 15th November 2008, 09:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
It is an SFXi, however I personally do not like the alloys - its one of the first things going out of the car.
Yeah had all the SFXi parts but the front skirting which is part of the SFXi body kit is missing.

Another thing I noticed that the handbrake has way too much of play. Your rear brakes are not set correctly or the shoes are worn out. The handbrake should not come up so much just 3-4 clicks.
Old 15th November 2008, 09:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing I noticed that the handbrake has way too much of play. Your rear brakes are not set correctly or the shoes are worn out. The handbrake should not come up so much just 3-4 clicks.
Thanks for the pointer Vid, will take a note of that. Would you suggest stock brake shoes or do you get some after market better ones ? How expensive would it be to do a disk brake conversion, and does it make sense ? Anyone ?
Old 16th November 2008, 13:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be a good find Indra. Mechanicals are the key... if they are in good shape, most of the work is done. Cosmetics can be easily taken care of.
Regd the brakes, would suggest you stick to stock for now. The Lancer doesn't put out enough power to warrant a rear disc conversion. Get new front discs (OE replacement) if needed along with new pads.
Get the rear brakes checked and adjusted... that should take care of the handbrake issue and reduce the play on the brake pedal.
Since you will be getting better tyres, that would help in the braking department as well. And in spite of all that if you find the brakes lacking, you could invest in some good aftermarket brake pads. I have fitted EBC Greenstuff in my Lancer, and they are awesome.
As discussed, ask your friend to get in touch with me... maybe I could be of some help.
Old 16th November 2008, 13:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
As discussed, ask your friend to get in touch with me... maybe I could be of some help.
Thanks Razor.

I also need to decide on the colour - I would chose from Red, Blue and White. Really confused on this. Brake calipers and rear hub would be orange.
Old 17th November 2008, 10:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah had all the SFXi parts but the front skirting which is part of the SFXi body kit is missing.
correctly spotted Vid.

It makes sense to find out why the front bumper does not sport the body kit parts. Has the car been through a frontal collision that damaged the bumper? Question the owner and get some comments from the A.S.S. guys

Before getting to the external mods and the FFE, air filters etc. Run the car for a while. get used to it, understand it . Ensure that all mechanicals are set right.

how much has the car run.
Please post some details of the cars history.
Old 17th November 2008, 10:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its fairly easy to break the front skirt lip on sfxi's on potholed and uneven roads. Most of those models ive seen have their front lips missing.

The car looks good Mr.Sen, congrats on the buy.
Old 17th November 2008, 12:12   #10
BHPian

Being in India only 3 weeks a year at a stretch, barely, would not allow me to really run the car for a while, understand it etc, which I would love to do. Once the car is picked up Razor has volunteered to drive the car around for a while to point out any work which needs to be done, and if any, would be looked into and rectified immediately.

I have asked my friend who is purchasing the car on my behalf to question the owner about the missing skirting.

The car has run 40,000kms the owner lives in Bombay and does not use the car. He is now in Kolkata for a few days to do the paper work etc.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
correctly spotted Vid.

It makes sense to find out why the front bumper does not sport the body kit parts. Has the car been through a frontal collision that damaged the bumper? Question the owner and get some comments from the A.S.S. guys

Before getting to the external mods and the FFE, air filters etc. Run the car for a while. get used to it, understand it . Ensure that all mechanicals are set right.

how much has the car run.
Please post some details of the cars history.
Thanks Autopsyche, I myself am yet to see a better picture of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Its fairly easy to break the front skirt lip on sfxi's on potholed and uneven roads. Most of those models ive seen have their front lips missing.

The car looks good Mr.Sen, congrats on the buy.
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th November 2008 at 13:24. Reason: see note in post
Old 19th November 2008, 12:58   #11
BHPian

Just a quick update. The front skirting which is missing has been removed by the owner as it cracked during normal day to day use. He refused that the car had any collision, and the mechanic confirmed the same. I am supposed to recieve some better pictures today. Its a pity that I am not around when the work on my car is being done, things would have been so much easier and different !
Old 19th November 2008, 13:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

great buy and the best car to modify. any small thing on lancer looks awesome.
Mr. Sen can u please specify the year of make , the total ODO done and the cost in which u purchased.
i am looking for a similar purchase.
Old 20th November 2008, 07:13   #13
BHPian

Some more pictures from my end.

Year of make : 2002
Mielage : 40,000 odd kms
Cost : 180,000 INR
Attached Thumbnails
And another Lancer-image003.jpg  

And another Lancer-image004.jpg  

And another Lancer-image005.jpg  

And another Lancer-image006.jpg  

And another Lancer-image007.jpg  

And another Lancer-image008.jpg  

And another Lancer-image009.jpg  

And another Lancer-image011.jpg  

And another Lancer-image023.jpg  

And another Lancer-image032.jpg  

And another Lancer-image036.jpg  

And another Lancer-image038.jpg  

And another Lancer-image040.jpg  

And another Lancer-image041.jpg  

Old 24th November 2008, 06:02   #14
BHPian

The latest update is the car has been completely dismantled. Clutch being completely overhauled, new plates etc. Brakes being completely done up. Suspension will be changed to Pedders. Each and every rubber part will be changed.

Hope to get some pics to see myself and post up here.
Old 24th November 2008, 06:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Some how from the pics it doesnot look like that the car has done just 40K kms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks