Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 12:50   #1
BHPian

Zen prep for hi-performance street driving

hi guys,
Am looking to mod my mpfi zen for track racing,the zen was being used by my mum and we recently got ourselves a santro,so the zen is back to me and frankly i dont want to dispose it...currently i am planning to do stage by stage mods as that would help be judge the performance gain as well as be kind to my pocket.

My plan is.
1)Race dynamics standalone.
2)Complete exhaust
3)Air filter
4)Plugs.
5)Maybe a port/polish job

I do have in mind a piper 285 cam,but iam unclear about what mods will the head require,i was told by a respectable tuner that just installing the cam wont give you the 100 percent gain..

He has recommended to bore the unit to 1300cc but as of now i would like to keep things simple,plus the cost of 1300cc boring,cam,pistons,oils etc etc i have been given a quote of 124000/-which is off my budget.

So guys please chip in with your ideas..
Old 11th July 2009, 13:01   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
hi guys,
Am looking to mod my mpfi zen for track racing
Are you planning to drive competitively for instance in the national racing championship? If yes, you can't just go out and mod it the way you want as there are a set of regulations to be kept in mind while prepping the car. If you want a street drive then its a different issue.
Old 11th July 2009, 13:05   #3
BHPian

Well for starters at the moment lets just keep it as a daily street drive......I want the car to be a fun drive ...i hope you get the point
Old 11th July 2009, 13:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
He has recommended to bore the unit to 1300cc but as of now i would like to keep things simple,plus the cost of 1300cc boring,cam,pistons,oils etc etc i have been given a quote of 124000/-which is off my budget.
1300CC is a good idea but the price quoted is way too high. You can buy a old second hand esteem at that price.
Old 11th July 2009, 13:37   #5
BHPian

Heres the quote...

Engine rebuild 124000 (with full exhaust , Pistons, Cam & Oils)
ECU 26500
Gearbox 25000 (short ratio)
LSD 70000
Body strength lightning with fibre body panels 65000
Filter HKS 8500
HKS Spark plugs 6400 (4 plugs, each plug 1600rs)
Suspension 25000 (KONE)
Old 11th July 2009, 14:26   #6
BHPian

124000/- for engine rebulid - for how many engines?

Last edited by siddartha : 11th July 2009 at 14:27.
Old 11th July 2009, 14:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Heres the quote...

Even if you include the Piper cam and 1.3-litre stroker, its way too much. Come on, Suzukis are all about going fast for cheap- this ain't cheap by a long shot.

Quote:

LSD 70000
Short ratio gearbox costing 25k? Way off again.
Why would you need a LSD for the street?

Quote:
Why is it needed for the street? You will be plonking a ~100bhp 1.3-litre engine into a Zen, not a B16 with ~170 horses. No lightning and all that needed. Zen is light enough from the factory for that kind of power. Will keep you fairly busy and entertained as it is.

Quote:

Suspension 25000 (KONE)
Guess you mean KONI. This is a good investment for any car. But only for the street.

Last edited by doomsday : 11th July 2009 at 14:39.
Old 11th July 2009, 20:59   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't miss out on better tyres & a performance suspension, especially if you intend to start practicing on the track. Only question : You are based in Mumbai. What track?
Old 11th July 2009, 21:52   #9
BHPian

@Siddartha
Yes when i got the pricing i was shocked too,

@doomsday
Thanks for replying and yes i too feel zen is pretty light and needs no further lightning.

@GTo
Yes upgrade of tyres and brakes will be surely on the list,well the car will be moving to Goa shortly and more so it will be a lot of fun driving it on the highways since i do a lot of highway runs

Iam thinking of not touching the gearbox,just the engine but how do i go about it?

Should i go for the 1300cc conversion that is boring the existing one and fitting larger pistons etc am not looking for an engine swap coz i dont want cop trouble anytime in future.

So will the 1300cc conversion on the existing engine be good or stick to the current one and get a head job and apiper cam in to it??

Basically the figure mentioned after a standalone,exhaust,intake,cam was said to be a increase on 30% which i suppose is around 18bhp(as told by tuner) so if the stock zen is 60 then after this mods say its 78bhp,thats a pretty good gain but frankly iam quite unsure about the 18bhp figure...

Guys pls suggest what way should i go
Old 12th July 2009, 02:16   #10
BHPian

The answer is in your post, "go for the 1300cc conversion that is boring the existing one and fitting larger pistons etc". I have done it and its fast and torquey. If you are not happy, then try head, port polish etc...

Since you have a mpfi zen, a standalone from Race Dynamics would be too good.
Old 12th July 2009, 04:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Iam thinking of not touching the gearbox,just the engine but how do i go about it?

Should i go for the 1300cc conversion that is boring the existing one and fitting larger pistons etc am not looking for an engine swap coz i dont want cop trouble anytime in future.

So will the 1300cc conversion on the existing engine be good or stick to the current one and get a head job and apiper cam in to it??

Basically the figure mentioned after a standalone,exhaust,intake,cam was said to be a increase on 30% which i suppose is around 18bhp(as told by tuner) so if the stock zen is 60 then after this mods say its 78bhp,thats a pretty good gain but frankly iam quite unsure about the 18bhp figure...

Guys pls suggest what way should i go
A 1.3-litre swap is a virtually no-hassle way of finding more grunt from a one litre motor. If possible go for the entire 1.3 motor (head/block/injectors/ECU/harness/ distributor etc.) as it will save you a lot of pain. You don't have to worry about cop trouble since one needs an expert eye to identify the difference between a 1 litre, 1.3 or a 1.6 single-cam Suzi G motor. To a normal guy (like a cop), they all will look the same. You can retain your one litre engine or trade it in for a complete 1.3 and save some bucks in the process which can be utilised for other mods.

A 1.3-litre G13 from an Esteem will make about ~85 ponies at the crank. With a cam, I/H/E, PnP and RD ECM you can easily expect some 15-20 horses or more freed up. So there you are- ~105 stallions in a Zen can be quite a lot of fun. As GTO said, keep rubber and suspension always into the equation and even brakes too, if the budget allows (you can swap in Esteem type II stuff).

An all-round well finished daily driver can be a lot of fun unlike something that just goes fast in a straight line and fails everywhere else- as you mentioned highway driving will be a core requirement so the entire dynamics package should be really well sorted out to avoid any unwarranted incidents.

Hope this helps.

P.S. It won't hurt to get quotes from other tuners for the job before you start work.
Old 12th July 2009, 09:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So guys please chip in with your ideas..

Why do you want to bore the current engine? A 1.3L swap with an esteem engine would be far more reliable, cheaper, and will have more mod potential too.

i think your current 'tuner' maybe taking you for a ride, any knowledgeable person would recommend a swap instead of going through all this work on a stock engine.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would reccomend that you reach out to more people before you even think of the mods. The list you have on the first post are good enough to get you going. If you want more do the same set of mods with a 1.3.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Heres the quote...

ECU 26500
LSD 70000
Filter HKS 8500
HKS Spark plugs 6400 (4 plugs, each plug 1600rs)
Suspension 25000 (KONE)

6.4k for a set of 4 Plugs

HKS is just rebadged Denso.

Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com
Old 14th July 2009, 20:04   #15
BHPian

Hi guys,
Let me first thank you al for all your replies,well i have decided to do a little more research and then set sial accordingly.

At the moment my mind has narrowed down to get the car set up in banglore,one of the reasons being that i will be in bangy for a month or so,so i guess that will be a good time to get things done.Any suggestions for good and non fleecing type tuners in banglore?Am thinking of Raj Hingorani,have read good views about him,and would really appreciate if you guys could also suggest something or your views about his work.

My options
stock motor,polished/ported,change in compression,standalone,exhaust and a intake job...

option two is plonking a esteem engine in to it,which is a good option but i have just 50k and i dont think the swap will come in that.

option 1 seems to fit in to my budget...and maybe a while later il get my self a wild piper...

what say guys?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks