Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:40   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tuning Box versus Remaps (Diesel tuning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Specially the PDF doc which is a bible of sorts for people looking for a remap. Skimmed through the contents and the index itself is so exhaustive. Superb find
I do not claim that the said document would be 100 percent accurate or perfect. But the Author has written in detail and lot of information is available. Based on my experience in dealing with various "custom" remap tuners in India.. I feel what's written on that document is almost true. Tried and tested maps are anyday better than "Custom" tune developed on your car by experiments.

Big tuning firms in Europe even pay the customer in case if it's their first car and take consent from the customer to develop a good tune. This involves a lot of dyno testing followed by road testing too. There is a reason why companies like APR USA is well known across the globe
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:08   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I do not claim that the said document would be 100 percent accurate or perfect. But the Author has written in detail and lot of information is available.
Agreed that the information might not be 100% accurate & will not hold you responsible for it as well. But it makes for a good read to understand the basic concepts of ECU and what it controls etc. even before going to the tuning bits of the document. Hence in that sense it is a very informative read at least for me and am sure it will help a lot of other members too!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:13   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence in that sense it is a very informative read at least for me and am sure it will help a lot of other members too!
Yes.. I second that. I have not come across any such thread or posts on the forum before. I have seen many debate saying remap is safer, more power, etc etc. Yes, they are correct. But what they had not mentioned or do not know about is the way of remapping. This document explains it very well. I won't be surprised even if some tuners also find it useful
Old 23rd March 2017, 22:26   #109
BHPian

I would like to tune my Ecosport. Unfortunately, there is no reputed tuner in Delhi NCR, with Local support, as Ford is known to flash ECU updates during service, which will flash out the remap. Tuning box installation is tough in Ecosport and will take a good 15-20 minutes before service for me to do it. Also, I am worried about warranty and a burnt ECU or blow up engine. I am very confused and desire-full to get my car remapped. How do it proceed ? Are my fears too much ?
Old 23rd March 2017, 22:33   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I would like to tune my Ecosport. Unfortunately, there is no reputed tuner in Delhi NCR, with Local support, as Ford is known to flash ECU updates during service, which will flash out the remap. Tuning box installation is tough in Ecosport and will take a good 15-20 minutes before service for me to do it. Also, I am worried about warranty and a burnt ECU or blow up engine. I am very confused and desire-full to get my car remapped. How do it proceed ? Are my fears too much ?
I believe your Ecosport is a diesel. It's a simple OBD flash now. There is no need to open the ECU. Akshay (GT Tunerz)is based out of Delhi and is providing good support. He gets the remaps from Quantum tuning UK.

If you are very much worried about warranty, RD dual channel box is the best option. The gains are as good as remap in most of the cars. I don't think it's a problem to spend 20 minutes once in a year before giving the car for service
Old 23rd March 2017, 23:27   #111
BHPian

Quote:
I believe your Ecosport is a diesel. It's a simple OBD flash now. There is no need to open the ECU. Akshay (GT Tunerz)is based out of Delhi and is providing good support. He gets the remaps from Quantum tuning UK.

If you are very much worried about warranty, RD dual channel box is the best option. The gains are as good as remap in most of the cars. I don't think it's a problem to spend 20 minutes once in a year before giving the car for service
That sounds like an awesome news !!! If obd is possible half my worry is already gone. I enquired from autopsyche(Arush) through a friend, and last I heard pete's was doing through bench flash.
Old 23rd March 2017, 23:33   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
That sounds like an awesome news !!! If obd is possible half my worry is already gone. I enquired from autopsyche(Arush) through a friend, and last I heard pete's was doing through bench flash.
Even Petes should be able to do via OBD. It was bench flash before, but I am 100 percent sure that it's OBD flash now. Even new 100 HP Ecosport could be flashed via OBD.
Old 24th March 2017, 16:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even Petes should be able to do via OBD. It was bench flash before, but I am 100 percent sure that it's OBD flash now. Even new 100 HP Ecosport could be flashed via OBD.
Is this specific to the Ecosport only? As I remember fellow member Bhuvan Prasad with the new Figo TDCi was unable to get a read off the ECU since the make was a Bosch Made in India unit. Is that all sorted now?
Old 24th March 2017, 17:04   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this specific to the Ecosport only? As I remember fellow member Bhuvan Prasad with the new Figo TDCi was unable to get a read off the ECU since the make was a Bosch Made in India unit. Is that all sorted now?
It's not yet sorted for Figo / Aspire. Ford Ecosport 100 HP also gets "Made in Mexico" ECU. I don't know why Ford localised the ECU only for Figo / Aspire. The ECU is same Bosch EDC17C10, but made in India. I believe the seed key / password is different and the tool manufacturer like Alientech would need physical access to crack the protocol for Indian ECU.
Old 1st April 2017, 22:43   #115
BHPian

Re: My Engine Remap Experience With Sx4 & Grand I10

Quote:
November 2015 Code 6 remap for Grand i10
My Grand i10 had clocked 50k kms and I wanted to remap. I did not want to go back to Petes and I did not know about Wolf moto. I contacted code 6 and Tune O Tronics. I decided to go for Code 6 since the price quote was lesser. I drove to their bangalore workshop and remap process was initiated. Tuner told 90 bhp 200 nm would be ideal and he can give 100 bhp 220 nm with few precautions. I asked for the more powerful map and he worked on it and Flashed. I was very excited to feel 100 horses. We go for a drive. I start the car and accelerate.. No difference. Shift to 2 nd and accelerate.. May be there is slight difference. Shift to 3 rd and ya there is mild increased. Noticed mild increase even in 4 th and 5 th. But I was quoted 100 bhp and mild difference, I was not at all happy. Tuner did some changes to map and still I couldn't appreciate power gain. What I noticed was huge amount of Black smoke. I decided to get back stock map and work on remap at later date. Tuner had said Grand i10 is VGT, but I think it's a FGT. Guess the remap methods are different for FGT and VGT equipped cars.
Thanks Dr.Naren for sharing your experience on remap with different tuners over various vehicles. This is really helpful.

The one thing which got me confused is your Grand i10 testing. My assumption is that you are referring FGT/VGT to fixed and variable geometry turbo chargers. But does Grand i10 has got a turbo charger, it is a naturally aspirated engine right.

Or Am I completely misplaced on my assumptions and understanding?
Old 1st April 2017, 22:50   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Engine Remap Experience With Sx4 & Grand I10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Or Am I completely misplaced on my assumptions and understanding?
It's Grand I10 diesel buddy. A 3 cylinder diesel engine with FGT ( no electronic control).
Old 2nd April 2017, 00:58   #117
BHPian

Thanks. It was a brain fade. Mind read it i10. I did miss your subsequent post in which you confirmed it as FGT turbo. So finally did you settle down with Race dynamics box in your Grand i 10?
Old 2nd April 2017, 01:13   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
So finally did you settle down with Race dynamics box in your Grand i 10?
Haha, it's a long story buddy. It has been documented on other threads.

Code 6 remap : As mentioned before the map failed to extract more power.

RD Box : The car did make good power and it was noticeable. I drove the car on the box for few months and later went with TOT remap.

TOT remap : The car made little more power compared to tuning box.

As of now I am not driving the car much and have no plans to do any further mods on Grand I10.
Old 11th April 2017, 23:40   #119
BHPian

Temp

Sharing my experience with the Steinbauer power module. I'm new to tuning and remaps.
All my previous cars had been stock. Never, felt that urge for a power upgrade.

What happened? My previous car E60 530d (now sold) gave me that rush everytime I floored the throttle. I missed that feeling in my F25 X3 20d. Inspite of having 4 different driving modes and Msport steering with paddle shifts , something was missing.
I needed a solution. I needed to get more power from a 190 hp 400 Nm 2 liter engine.
Did a bit of research, Teambhp/Forums/Google and zeroed in on the Steinbauer power module.
The X3 being in warranty, I wanted a plug and play module which would be VFM with guarantee.
http://steinbauer.cc/products/passenger/

Got in touch with the Steinbauer Indian dealer who got the power module and had it installed in a week.

https://www.steinbauer.cc/products/p...40kw__53h/bG8/
This is what the company claims, 20% increase in horse power and torque. It's now 222hp 480 Nm.

After the installation, which happened late night, I had to go for a test drive. The engine felt much more smooth than before installing the module. It felt more peppy and eager to go. Definite improvement in torque. Enjoyed every moment of the drive. It was worth it, money spent well. It's been a fortnight, and every time I go for a drive, there is that smile on my face. Even the wife mentioned the car feels much better. There are a few more settings on the box. But, for now it's the recommended company settings.
Will be going for a long drive soon.

Happy Steinbauer customer.

Few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Tuning Box versus Remaps (Diesel tuning)-img_7740.jpg  

Tuning Box versus Remaps (Diesel tuning)-img_3523.jpg  

Tuning Box versus Remaps (Diesel tuning)-img_1756.jpg  

Last edited by Happysmiles : 13th April 2017 at 18:53.
Happysmiles is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 14:42   #120
BHPian

I was planning on a similar upgrade cause I feel the power of my 20d is low and I currently don't want to change (preferably X5) and will have to wait 2-3 yrs for that...

Could you pls let me know how the car feels now (post a months usage)..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks