Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2023, 00:04   #541
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Hello everyone,

We recently got a new addition to our garage, it's the Hyundai Tucson (amazon grey color). We were thinking of getting PPF done on it to protect its paint from the various damages possible such as swirl marks, rock chipping the paint, or a minor accident where the bumper or door might get scratched.

We live in the Ahmedabad area and are thinking of getting it done here in the city.

So far I have found two reputable workshops which are Nine One Automotive and Autograd. Their offerings are as below:

1. Nine One Automotive: Brand-STEK, 5 Years Warranty, 200 microns thickness, costing around 155K for full PPF.
2. Autograd: Brand-Madico, 5 Years Warranty, 180 microns thickness, costing around 120K for full PPF.

We are also planning to get sun film for heat resistance on all four windows and sunshade. As of now, we are thinking of Garware's sunfilm(costing around 10k) as other options like 3M were costing around 30K-40K price bracket which I think is very pricy.

If anyone on here has any experience with the mentioned workshops or any other places then please do share. Please mention the name of the workshop, the PPF material/Brand, and the cost of the service. If there are any suggestions related to sunfilm then please share them too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th April 2023, 16:39   #542
BHPian

Hi all

Recently bought a Skoda Superb L&K and after much deliberation between ceramic and ppf chose the latter.
This thread was instrumental in helping me make a decision on vendor and brand so thought will pay back to the community with my experience.

I opted for Optimum Detailerz basis feedback from this group and fellow bhpian KD getting his 340i PPFed there. Spoke to Mr Amol from Optimum and his enthusiasm for his craft and suggestions were amazing. At no point did he try to sell me any particular brand or service or product.
The next question was choosing between Stek Shieldeffect (5 yr warranty), Avery (10 years) and Stek Dynoshield (10 years). The filters were cost, product attributes and my vision of keeping this car. Keeping everything in mind and the fact that Stek is known for their gloss finish, finally decided to go with the Stek Shieldeffect which came with a 5 year official warranty and costed me Rs 675 per sq ft. The Superb eventually turned out to be a 250 sq ft application so I will leave the mental math to you
I also chose the Stek Nex70 graphene infused window film which again came backed by lifetime warranty and some really good reviews. It is supposed to cut back 99% UV rays (if i remember correctly), has 70% transparency and cost me around 28,000 approx for all windows, front & rear glass, quarterpanel glass and the sunroof. I can totally vouch for the effectiveness of the film having driven the car on not-so-nice sunny days. It has a slight blue hue(with no issues on driver’s visibility) and the installation has been very seamless to keep it discreet. Definitely recommend this.

I took delivery of the car and went straight to Optimum (with pooja garland et al). Mr Amol had given tips on what not to do on the car during delivery (eg dont put tilak on the paint or any polishes as PDI). Optimum Detailerz took about 8 days to get everything installed and handover my beauty back to me. I was asked to visit again for a mandatory check and foam wash post 1 week.

For new cars they also throw in a complimentary interior detailing and ceramic coating on non-PPFed external parts like the wheels and bumper diffusers. Another sign of good workmanship has been the way the logos were managed (Skoda owners will understand how delicate that L&K badge is) and the single large panels of PPF used over the car instead of multiple small pieces. Everything on the car including the lights have been covered with PPF and the peace of mind this gives to my OCD self is something I can’t explain when friends declare me foolish to have spent 2 big ones on paint protection.

In all, I am very satisfied with the workmanship, the attention to detail on the whole application and my interactions with them. If you’re searching for a reliable ppf applicator around Mumbai I would strongly recommend Optimum Detailerz

P.S- I am not associated with them and putting this feedback basis my own customer experience

Leaving you here with few pictures of the car post installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-c5596885bd954299825c8c70ae9ec351.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-ca1a9ac0ab164e1d80fd4bab1935af62.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-c15ea0cb140a40f8826c2f974145e5ef.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-d8c9a37c7c03439c8019e37e0d6a3648.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-f30836fe675244c08a56c0a6e000a1df.jpeg  

Last edited by narula123 : 19th April 2023 at 17:01.
narula123 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 02:00   #543
BHPian

My PPF Journey

Summary: Even before my X5 was delivered, I started researching different types of PPF. I was all set on getting the Llumar Valor PPF. After I received the car, a few folks told me I really didn’t need PPF because the clear coat is really good on the car. So, I got cold feet for a week or two. In the meantime, I continued my research. I finally decided on STEK Dynoshield and got it done a few weeks ago.

The Story with all the details: Delhi is incredibly dusty and there are a lot of birds and trees that drop multiple things on the car everywhere. In the couple of weeks I was undecided, the car got incredibly dirty and it wasn’t easy to get it sufficiently clean. Since I was frequently on travel, the car didn’t get much use, but I thought my mineral white metallic was going to look terrible in a short time if I am not able to clean the car easily. With any PPF, one can use a bit more pressure and with a good PPF even the worst of bird poop or bug guts is not going to stick. So, I decided on getting the PPF. In addition, with a good PPF, any superficial scratches will self-heal and normally the paint doesn’t get damaged even if the film surface looks black if scratched (say, if a motorcyclist puts a minor scratch with his mirror). I didn’t care so much about film warranty but wanted to make sure the car stays clean at least for a couple of years. Most of these recent PPFs don’t yellow all that much for at least four or five years and these also come off without leaving adhesive residue – there are some videos of that on youtube on this already. So, when it comes time to peel the film off, my guess is that any of the advanced films are going to come off without much trouble.

I was really leaning toward Llumar Valor initially. This film is advertised as extremely hydrophobic and comes with a ceramic coating on top. Other two films in this class of ceramic coated films are Ceramic Pro Kavaca and STEK Dynoshield. I never really was able to reach the Ceramic Pro outlet in Delhi at whatever number I got from internet. Most other independent installers were willing to install either the STEK or the Llumar.

Then I came across this video:

Note that STEK and SUNTEK seem to be glossier and have much more clarity than the 3M (an older version). SUNTEK and Llumar are both manufactured by the same company and I am told there are virtually no differences between them.

Eventually, I came across the video below (long). While this fella didn’t particularly compare the STEK Dynoshield to Llumar Valor, he was comparing it to XPEL which has a lot of faithful following in the US market. I had eliminated XPEL early on based on what I saw in some comparison tests, but what he says are the positives for STEK Dynoshield seemed sufficiently attractive.

Another video I came across actually compared Llumar Platinum with a number of other films including the more recent 3M Pro Series 200 PPF.

The STEK and 3M seem ever so slightly a cut above the rest in these tests. I was a little surprised that the tester was able to draw a clear line with the permanent marker on the Llumar Platinum that showed it wasn’t as hydrophobic as the STEK Dynoshield or 3M Pro 200. So, now I was torn between the STEK Dynoshield and the 3M.

To answer my own question earlier: two types of Llumar films seem to be more popular – the Llumar Platinum and the Llumar Valor. There is a third type – the Llumar Platinum Extra. It seems like Llumar Platinum and Llumar Valor are thinner than many other films in the market (by about 20 or 30 microns). The Platinum Extra is thicker (if I remember correctly, it is about ~240 microns) and so it is the most expensive. Almost all installers thought that this Platinum Extra is an overkill. A thicker film is also probably a bit more challenging to install. Towards the end, I moved on from the Llumar brand altogether.

I talked to a number of installers in Delhi. Almost all of them have a good internet presence. Two or three installers only installed Garware films at about 60% of what it costs for the STEK Dynoshield. I couldn’t find out more about these made in India films and so I didn’t go that route although I visited a couple of places that installed them.

In the end, two installers were shortlisted. One was Wheel Force detailing studio near Mayapuri Police Station and the other was 3M Shop in New Friends Colony. Most other installers stopped following up during my “contemplative” phase. The 3M Pro Series 200 was quoted about 20% more than the STEK, but I couldn’t find any comparison of the gloss of this newer 3M 200 film with STEK Dynoshield. So, the decision was made to go with the STEK Dynoshield and with Wheel Force. Both the Stek Dynoshield and the 3M Pro Series 200 seem to be of similar thickness – about 200 microns. The 3M Pro Series 100 Gloss was cheaper, but it doesn’t have a hydrophobic coating on top. Given the small difference in thickness between films, I am not sure it matters much generally, but might matter a little bit in places like Delhi if one gets scratched by a motorcycle mirror. Although STEK has a good US presence, the film is made in South Korea whereas Llumar and 3M are US manufactured.

The Wheel Force folks installed the film professionally. I don’t think anyone can tell now that the car has PPF by looking at the exterior of the car. I don’t see any orange peel effect. The car cleans up really easily with water beading and streaking very well. I did see a few yellow spots (tree sap?) on the car stuck to the film, but even those came off really easily. It appears that the car only needs to be hosed off with water on a regular basis. The best way to dry would be to use a blower after rinsing the car off but I don’t have one the moment. Wheel Force folks also provided a few microfiber towels. I already had a stash of similar towels so I can just use different towels to dry.

Overall, I am pleased. The Wheel Force person (Mr. Parmeet) who responds to calls is very good and patiently answers all the questions. He also threw in a few extras such as Koch-Chemie ceramic coating for the piano black trims and alloy wheels. Please note: I am relatively new to Delhi and I have no business relationship with Wheel Force – only a satisfied customer.

Now, I will have to wait and see how the film ages. I have high hopes for it. A couple of pictures of my Gyrfalcon X after PPF.

Sideview 1:

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-sideview1.jpg

Sideview 2:

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-sideview0.jpg

Reflection off the hood - the car was in shade and the picture was taken at an angle:

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-hoodreflection.jpg
THE-U- is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 13:42   #544

Hi does anyone have any good / bad experience with durashield ppf and the detailed Dura Point in Mumbai?
Old 2nd June 2023, 16:42   #545

Hello Everyone!
Buying a new Lexus ES 300h (white colour) from Lexus Chennai.
Should I get PPF done for the car? If yes, which detailing studio would you recommend in Chennai/ Coimbatore?
Old 6th June 2023, 00:33   #546
BANNED

Re: My PPF Journey

My sincere gratitude for the comprehensive research you provided regarding PPF for premium cars and its applicator. Your insights were incredibly valuable and greatly appreciated.

Your detailed explanation shed light on the benefits and features of premium PPF brands, and the significance of choosing a skilled applicator for its installation. Your research in the subject matter were evident, and I am grateful for the effort you put into sharing that with us.
I am currently considering the installation of PPF for my Audi A6, and after conducting some research, I came across Saint Gobain PPF as a potential option(recommended by wheel force ) . However, I wanted to seek your opinion and guidance regarding the suitability of Saint Gobain PPF for my vehicle if you have any idea about it . I don’t want to go for Llumar or Stek due to budget constraints.

Parmeet from wheel force studio proved to be an incredibly knowledgeable individual who provided excellent guidance. Understanding my budget constraints, Parmeet suggested Saint Gobain PPF or Llumar basic ppf for my car.

After careful consideration and research, I have decided not to go with most of the studios’s own brand PPF. My findings indicate that it is merely a cheap Chinese PPF marketed under the studio's fancy name.
Instead, I am determined to opt for reputed PPF brands that are known for their quality and reliability.
If you have any recommendations or insights into reputable PPF brands that are compatible with Audi A6 ( under 1.25L ) I would greatly appreciate your input. Your expertise and knowledge in this area would be immensely helpful in guiding me towards making an informed decision.
Thank you in advance for your assistance. I value your opinion and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th June 2023 at 01:24.
Old 18th June 2023, 19:49   #547
BHPian

Re: My PPF Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkworkrock View Post
I wanted to seek your opinion and guidance regarding the suitability of Saint Gobain PPF for my vehicle if you have any idea about it
Apologies for not responding to you earlier. Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge of Saint Gobain PPF. Perhaps asking the following general questions of not so well known PPFs may help in the decision making: a) Does the film have a hydrophobic coating?; b) Does it self heal?; c) What is the thickness of the film?; d) What is its tensile strength of the film?; e) What is the warranty period and the type of warranty provided?; f) how long does one want the PPF on the car; and; g) Does it have a ceramic coating?

Of course, the ceramic coating on the film is not critical as one can always apply a ceramic coat after the film is installed. But, I would certainly want a hydrophobic coating on the PPF. If the film is too thin or thick compared to leading brands (leading brands are at about 200 microns thick, so if a film is only a 100 micron thick you might as well avoid it, and a 300 micron thick film might possibly have serious optical effects). Hope this helps!

Last edited by THE-U- : 18th June 2023 at 19:50.
THE-U- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 17:11   #548
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I need suggestions for my one month old XUV700. After a brief research I’m considering PPF protection. I have limited or no knowledge. Years ago, the part 3M PPF I did for my car in a Middle East country, peeled and yellowed in 2 years. I guess it was a TPH.

Now I’m looking for something under 1L or approx. My current location is current Bangalore.

Does anyone had any experience with Feynlabs? And/or Maxdecal TPU-G20. STEK which is the best, is costing way too much.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th June 2023 at 16:43. Reason: Extra spacing in the post
Old 26th June 2023, 04:57   #549
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyQP View Post
Years ago, the part 3M PPF I did for my car in a Middle East country, peeled and yellowed in 2 years. I guess it was a TPH.
I recently got full body PPF work done on my Harrier (used Aliphatic TPU acrylic glue which I think will not yellow in its usable life of around 7-8 years at least).
I've shared my experience here (PPF & Coating - Krithi Car Care (near Manyata Tech Park, Bangalore).).

Last edited by NPV : 26th June 2023 at 05:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 16:19   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnakumar777 View Post
Hello Everyone!
Buying a new Lexus ES 300h (white colour) from Lexus Chennai.
Should I get PPF done for the car? If yes, which detailing studio would you recommend in Chennai/ Coimbatore?

I got a quote from detailing mafia for 1.5L for xuv700. That’s a ripoff.
Old 26th June 2023, 19:46   #551

After going through so many opinions on PPF vs Ceramic - if it's needed or not and so on, I just decided to go with a PPF with a simple thought - if you can prevent a scratch in spite of driving safely, it's probably worth it.

Now comes the pain of zeroing down on a detailer. Now, what was news to me was Carsbuddy in Bengaluru has tied up with Martial Motors as their official detailer for ppf. They say they are nationwide distributors in Xpel and Modesta and i know they run the Koramangala and Shivajinagar outlets.

I did check with Bubbes and Esperto - which seemed reasonable but eventually went ahead with Carsbuddy - simply because it gave me the flexibility of getting the car wrapped by the time I was to get the delivery. At all other places, I would have had to give the car once I got the delivery and then wait for a few more days to get it back.

The Shivajinagar outlet is where most of the Volvos are detailed including mine.

The xc40 was registered around 23 June 23, and the car was picked up by Carsbuddy from the MM showroom on the 24th - for delivery on 30th June as instructed.

Their SOP is as described in this forum - WhatsApp group, regular updates, pictures, videos, and the works.

While my car is still being detailed, the total cost for the xc40 was pegged around 1.7L including GST. However, for white cars, the warranty is only for 7 years, 10 for darker colors.

I chose Xpel Ultimate for my PPF which is the n-1 version. While the top of the line is their satin finish ppf ( don't remember the proper name for it right now )

So far, I've found the work to be good - in line with the reviews. I hope I don't need to use their warranty.

Attached are some pictures and the xpel pdf shared by carsbuddy team during the process and another white xc40 as a reference to a finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-whatsapp-image-20230625-2.34.38-pm.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-whatsapp-image-20230625-2.34.39-pm.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-whatsapp-image-20230625-8.40.13-pm-1.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-whatsapp-image-20230613-8.08.15-pm.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-whatsapp-image-20230613-8.08.16-pm.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-whatsapp-image-20230613-8.08.14-pm.jpeg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf XPEL CLIENT PDF-1.pdf (1.16 MB, 154 views)

Last edited by sid_moghe : 26th June 2023 at 19:57. Reason: edited pictures
sid_moghe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 07:41   #552
BHPian

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if doing a matte PPF will cause any issues during a traffic stop since it's not mentioned in the RC. Should I also change it in the RC? Any insights on this?
Old 27th June 2023, 13:29   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAwX View Post
Hey guys,

I wanted to know if doing a matte PPF will cause any issues during a traffic stop since it's not mentioned in the RC. Should I also change it in the RC? Any insights on this?
The matte ppf is clear and will not change the color of your car, so you should be fine.

The color of the car is only changed when you do a vinyl wrap on the car. This will need an update to the RC.
Old 27th June 2023, 14:13   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_moghe View Post
The matte ppf is clear and will not change the color of your car, so you should be fine.
Yes, I am well aware of that, and I do have PPF in my cars. The problem is that the matte shade will be considered modified in the Kerala State, and the chances of getting into a traffic stop are 50 times higher than with an everyday color. I have had bad experiences with the police here, so I want to be sure. The shade matters here. If I go for the matte PPF, it will change the color code and overall look of the car from Metallic Black to Matte Black. I want to hear from people who have had real experiences. My Regional Transport Office doesn't really know about it and says I need to get it changed as it makes a difference. At the same time, since it's a film, they also claim it's illegal, like vinyl wrapping. Dealing with the Kerala Motor Vehicles Department is the worst.
Old 8th July 2023, 11:32   #555
BHPian

And my 2nd post here. Not that I am keeping track ;-)
So, looking to do a PPF on my new Black Creta SXO Diesel MT (yet to get my hands on it, though). Dealer says early next week, whew!

Wanted to do a complete PPF on the car, perhaps with the idea that the car will remain with me till the end.

Dwelling on 2 options

1st Option: Amol Chitre of Optimum Detailerz / Chembur
Pretty good reviews, met him and saw his set up as well. He gave me 3 options Stek SheildEffect / 5 years / 1.42L, Stek DynoSheild / 10 years / 1.83L, Avery Denison MatteEffect / 10 years / 1.95L
Frankly, wanted to a matte film on the black car but was advised by most not to go ahead with it and stick to glossy film. A matte film by Stek sets one back by 2.75L for Creta. And that itself made by mind.
On the other hand, read pretty bad reviews about Avery Denison and thought against it.
So if I go with Amol, it would be Stek and veering towards the DynoSheild - 10 year

2nd Option: MAD Detailers / Oshiwara
Secondly, I was exploring Xpel. In Mumbai they have one detailer who is authorised by Xpel - MAD Detailers of Oshiwara, a person named Tahir. Apparently he does Xpel and other brands like Garware as well. He gave me a quote of 2.2L for Xpel Ultimate and a similar quote for Xpel Stealth (Matte effect Film). Though Xpel Stealth looks awesome, heart burns to spend 40K just for the look which gives me similar protection.

Now to the moot question - in all the posts and thread on Team-BHP on PPF, I haven't even once come across MAD Detailers / Tahir. So was wondering if anybody has done any work with him and how is his work? Surely, somebody would have mentioned him here?
Any info, anybody?

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks