Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 14:14   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
BTW how much does the 700FF's retail for ?
Riju, saw a pair of 700FF's at Rel A.Z for 5k. But make sure the full package is there - wiring, brackets, bolts, switches etc.
Old 16th September 2011, 13:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Did some digging and found that the FF series are better, meaning Free Form which is more scientifically manufactured and have a better beam than the 500. Thinking of taking the 500 FF.

--Ramky
=======
Old 16th September 2011, 13:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Did some digging and found that the FF series are better, meaning Free Form which is more scientifically manufactured and have a better beam than the 500. Thinking of taking the 500 FF.

--Ramky
=======
Ramky, Eventually I am also narrowing down on Rallye 500FF the beam/spread pattern is good. You can find Beam Pattern with LUX values here (Check with beam pattern tab) As per dealer with lux value 4 we can even see a hairpin on road and with 1 one can read newspaper. I don't how much authentic it is.

If somebody knows how to interpret ISOLUX diagrams please update us. I would like to know whether these diagrams are prepared with values which driver perceives or just absolute values at respective spots.
Old 16th September 2011, 14:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Ramky, Eventually I am also narrowing down on Rallye 500FF the beam/spread pattern is good. You can find Beam Pattern with LUX values here (Check with beam pattern tab) As per dealer with lux value 4 we can even see a hairpin on road and with 1 one can read newspaper. I don't how much authentic it is.

If somebody knows how to interpret ISOLUX diagrams please update us. I would like to know whether these diagrams are prepared with values which driver perceives or just absolute values at respective spots.
Thanks for that link, you'd find that SKU: HLA-005750952 has a beam of 400 mtrs plus which would be perfect, normal headlight would go up to 250 300 and the rest can be illuminated by these spots.

Found live photos on the beam pattern and throw here:

Index of /TrailBlazer_Files/Hella-500FFs

I think good quality aftermarket wires and relays would do if you do not get the original Hella switches. In my case the challenge would be to get the switch fixed on the dash; all all the switches are taken up in my MhWAK VLX.

What's the price your dealer is quoting?

--Ramky

------------
Old 16th September 2011, 15:32   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that link, you'd find that SKU: HLA-005750952 has a beam of 400 mtrs plus which would be perfect, normal headlight would go up to 250 300 and the rest can be illuminated by these spots.

Found live photos on the beam pattern and throw here:

Index of /TrailBlazer_Files/Hella-500FFs

I think good quality aftermarket wires and relays would do if you do not get the original Hella switches. In my case the challenge would be to get the switch fixed on the dash; all all the switches are taken up in my MhWAK VLX.

--Ramky

------------
Ramky Thanks for Beam Pictures Link. What I have perceived is as follows, Please correct me If I am wrong.

1. HLA-005750952 Are just Hella 500
2. HLA-005750941 Are Hella 500FF.

I think beam upto 300M is more than enough for ample reaction time. I am prefering HLA-005750941 (500FF) since though they have marginally less throw they are having good spread, about 10M on either side for Dist about 150M to 200M, which will provide better visibility and will be a confidence inspiring lighting. Offcourse I am open for points raised on this issue. Please do comment what you feel. Ultimately the purpose should be served to a maximum extent. I usually drive below 110/120 KMPH so 200M to 250M throw is good enough for me, which can provide @7 to 10 sec reaction time at 100 KMPH.

Please also download PDF for Installation Instructions on same page which provides information about proper aiming of these lamps. I feel its very important information. People generally focus them hypothetically which does not maximizes its utility. Please ref. pictures you mentioned, that guy has focused them on both sides of road so those are not lighting up Road Ahead quite well, plus they will blind oncoming traffic also.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I overlooked this Point, For 500FF he is quoting 5000 but has kept option of discount open and asked me finalize the model then we will talk about it. I think it will come down by 10 to 15% atleast so 4500/- may be the final price. Actually he was suggesting Commet 450 to me so I have studied those also but I feel 500FF will be a better option.
whitelion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 16:14   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Found live photos on the beam pattern and throw here: Index of /TrailBlazer_Files/Hella-500FFs
Ramky, thanks for that. I was checking the images there & found this image to be best. From what I saw there, I think this is a combination /series of 3 images: low-beam, high-beam & with Hella's.

http://gordinho80.com/TrailBlazer_Fi...tern-comps.gif
Old 16th September 2011, 17:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ramky Thanks for Beam Pictures Link. What I have perceived is as follows, Please correct me If I am wrong.

1. HLA-005750952 Are just Hella 500
2. HLA-005750941 Are Hella 500FF.

I think beam upto 300M is more than enough for ample reaction time. I am prefering HLA-005750941 (500FF) since though they have marginally less throw they are having good spread, about 10M on either side for Dist about 150M to 200M, which will provide better visibility and will be a confidence inspiring lighting. Offcourse I am open for points raised on this issue. Please do comment what you feel. Ultimately the purpose should be served to a maximum extent. I usually drive below 110/120 KMPH so 200M to 250M throw is good enough for me, which can provide @7 to 10 sec reaction time at 100 KMPH.

Please also download PDF for Installation Instructions on same page which provides information about proper aiming of these lamps. I feel its very important information. People generally focus them hypothetically which does not maximizes its utility. Please ref. pictures you mentioned, that guy has focused them on both sides of road so those are not lighting up Road Ahead quite well, plus they will blind oncoming traffic also.
From my Comet 500 experience, HLA-005750952 looks good (500 non FF) give me about 50-100 mtrs extra and they would act as spots that would highlight areas beyond the reach of my fixed head lights so I would have clear vision for almost 400 mtrs. This is the logic part, the Hella guy here has promised to give me a demo, so after getting the feel, I would decide finally and may go your way to FF!!

I agree, the focusing part is very important, my Comets were going off beam and every 50 KM or so I had to correct them; I am going to take more time and effort to fabricate the clamp on the bull bar to fit it firm and steady. In your case also, your head light should be good enough for 300 mtrs and the extra lights should do the area beyond that.

As for oncoming traffic, it's difficult to use these on single track roads, you need the kill switch handy to spare oncoming traffic. Where you have 4 tracks with dividers, you can have them on and let rip

I think you can get a discount and would cost about 4.5 K finally.

@Condor: Hai. Spot on, its a combination and I think the longest spot was the 500 FF. Right now evaluating proper bull bars, I like the short ones, just enough to fix the Aux. lights.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 16th September 2011 at 17:15.
Old 16th September 2011, 17:12   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Hella Rallye 500 FF - Wiring diagram

While checking the links in the above posts for the spread pattern diagrams, I found the installation guide in this link:

Poly Performance RALLY*::*Lighting & Light Bars*::*Halogen Lights*::*Hella 500/500FF Halogen Driving & Fog Lamp Kits - Eibach Springs, Fuel Safe, KC HiLites, Sparco, Sabelt, Russell, Fragola, Crow, Auto Meter, Vision X, Hans, Wilwood, more....

The wiring diagram is:

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-hella500ffwiring.jpg

The wiring looks very easy to do, and now I am planning to do it myself.

One question:
Why is the switch connected to the highbeam here ? If connected to highbeam, does it mean that the Hella's will come on only when High-beam is on ?

How should the wiring be if I want the Hella's to be independent of high-beam or low-beam ?
Old 16th September 2011, 17:37   #85
BHPian

Quote:
the Hella guy here has promised to give me a demo, so after getting the feel, I would decide finally and may go your way to FF!!

I agree, the focusing part is very important, my Comets were going off beam and every 50 KM or so I had to correct them; I am going to take more time and effort to fabricate the clamp on the bull bar to fit it firm and steady. In your case also, your head light should be good enough for 300 mtrs and the extra lights should do the area beyond that.

I think you can get a discount and would cost about 4.5 K finally.
You have Commet 500, so can you share experience with them ?

When you get demo please let me know which one you found better, since My dealer is In Mumbai, far away from my place, so I dont have any chance to see any demo. I am solely relying on experiences of others and documentation I find on net. How you have fixed your commets ? are they on bumpers ?

Please let me know, how much your dealer is quoting for 500 and 500FF also.

In my case, Figo Headlamps are very pathetic. Their reach is very poor so I have to use them mostly on low beam and use Hellas for Visibility beyond the HL low beam reach. That's why I am considering spread of Light at 150M to 250M as a important decision factor. In your case parameters are different. BTW which car you have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

One question:

Why is the switch connected to the highbeam here ? If connected to highbeam, does it mean that the Hella's will come on only when High-beam is on ?

Yes It seems So.

How should the wiring be if I want the Hella's to be independent of high-beam or low-beam ?

You can download PDF which contains wiring diagram for both cases and interesting information about Aiming of those lamps.
Old 16th September 2011, 17:42   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can download PDF which contains wiring diagram for both cases and interesting information about Aiming of those lamps.
Where do you think I got this pic from ?
Old 16th September 2011, 18:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Connect them to parking light wire for lamps to come ON as soon as you switch ON the lights.

Last edited by mercedised : 16th September 2011 at 18:08.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:22   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mercedised - yes. was just thinking of that. Needs to be in parallel with the head-lamps. Now to figure out where to tap the wire.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:22   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Since you asked this

"How should the wiring be if I want the Hella's to be independent of high-beam or low-beam ?"

I got impression that you might have got it from some other source which might not have both the cases shown clearly, otherwise this question wouldn't have come at all. The PDF gives wiring diagrams for Independent switch and with high beam connection.

I am planning to use empty switch position for Rear Fog Lamps in Figo. It will avoid having additional switch on Dash and All the controls will be at one place.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Mercedised - yes. was just thinking of that. Needs to be in parallel with the head-lamps. Now to figure out where to tap the wire.
No need of a TAP, just insert it in the socket (Female part of socket or the hole in which the bulb connector sits in) which powers the parking light. Pardon if you know already but the main idea behind connecting this to parking light or headlight is to prevent accidental case in which the AUX lights would remain ON if you forget to switch-off the AUX light switch.

Otherwise, you can connect this wire to any of the car wire which carries 12V even direct to battery with a FUSE used in between. If you want a independent connection of lights.

Last edited by mercedised : 16th September 2011 at 18:43.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks