Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 19:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Hey all

My Hella 1000 on the Swift needs a halogen bulb replacement. It needs a H2 halogen - can't seem to find it anywhere in the vicinity, tried most accessory stores. Can anyone kindly point to where I might get it ?

The local accessory guy had offered to fit in a H3 instead, which I did not think was a great idea.

Any help will sincerely be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2011, 20:18   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
whitelion : The PDF gives wiring diagrams for Independent switch and with high beam connection.
n.p ! Actually, if you notice the diagrams, there, both the wiring diagrams show setup where the Hella's are connected to the High-beam. Only diff between the two wirings is that, in one there is a switch (either Highbeam alone -or- High-beam + hella) & in the other, High-beam & Hella's both come on together.

Quote:
whitelion : I am planning to use empty switch position for Rear Fog Lamps in Figo.
Yes- exactly my plans.

Quote:
mercedised : ..the main idea behind connecting this to parking light or headlight is to prevent accidental case in which the AUX lights would remain ON if you forget to switch-off the AUX light switch.
Yes, that is exactly the intention & plan.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:32   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Mercedised - yes. was just thinking of that. Needs to be in parallel with the head-lamps. Now to figure out where to tap the wire.
The wiring looks simple enough, but.............

I did it parallel to the head lamps so that it would come on when I put it on and go off when I switch it off. The wiring of the Scorpio could not handle 4 bulbs ( I have a 100V on the headlamps too) and the fuse got burned pretty badly and so also a portion of the wiring!!!! Took it to the ASC electrician (he's the best part of the ASC here) then fixed up a separate wiring, switch and relay only for the Aux lights. It would be best and safer to do this.

@ Whitelion:
Comet 500 in my old Scorpio CRDe (which I sold last week) had a throw of 350 MTRS, nice spots which complimented my headlights, very happy with the lights. They were fixed on the crash guard, drilled two holes and fixed them up.

The Hella guy is supposed to call me for the display, could be anytime next week, I'm not in a hurry. Will let you know price soon.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

Here's my plan, might be an off-topic to this thread:

"Take 2 Pulsar 150 Classic headlights (most probably cost 500 Rs maximum). Put in 2 Philips Rally 90\100W and route the wiring via a relay."

I want to save money and well believe that this setup will fulfil my needs. Vehicle Tata Safari DICOR. Total cost around 1,000 Rs.

Last edited by mercedised : 16th September 2011 at 20:47.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:47   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hella 500FF should cost you around 4000 and the 700FF around 4500. Saw these at the Reliance Auto Zone on the double road.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:13   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The Hella 500FF should cost you around 4000 and the 700FF around 4500. Saw these at the Reliance Auto Zone on the double road.
I guess we can expect original Hella's at a Reliance store?

I will pick them up this weekend then.

--Ragul
Old 16th September 2011, 21:46   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I did it parallel to the head lamps .... The wiring of the Scorpio could not handle 4 bulbs ( I have a 100V on the headlamps too) and the fuse got burned pretty badly and so also a portion of the wiring!!!! Took it to the ASC electrician (he's the best part of the ASC here) then fixed up a separate wiring, switch and relay only for the Aux lights. It would be best and safer to do this.
Ramky, the separate relay & wiring is how the diagram also shows it. If you put the Hella's in parallel like that, then the same will happen in almost any production vehicle. Not just Scorp's.

The installation doc I have re-quoted shows two options for wiring - and both use a separate set-up (not directly connected to the high-beam). Only diff there is the control over the Hella's - or directly coupled to the High-beam.
Old 16th September 2011, 22:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ramky, the separate relay & wiring is how the diagram also shows it. If you put the Hella's in parallel like that, then the same will happen in almost any production vehicle. Not just Scorp's.

The installation doc I have re-quoted shows two options for wiring - and both use a separate set-up (not directly connected to the high-beam). Only diff there is the control over the Hella's - or directly coupled to the High-beam.
Oops...... didn't see closely at the diagram.

The guy who wired the Comets first was an idiot, only later I realized when the ASC electrician explained what was done. Fortunate the fuses blew, or he could have caused a fire and cooked me. This is how many cars catch fire, irresponsible wiring.

Can the combination switch on the stalk handle the Hellas load too? Don't know the ratings of these switches.

--Ramky
======
Old 16th September 2011, 22:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can the combination switch on the stalk handle the Hellas load too? Don't know the ratings of these switches.

--Ramky
======
If you have a extra (separate) relay in the circuit (to support Hellas) then yes otherwise the stock relay or fuse will burn and cut the supply. IMO the stock switch is good for a few amperes only.
Old 17th September 2011, 10:52   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
If you have a extra (separate) relay in the circuit (to support Hellas) then yes otherwise the stock relay or fuse will burn and cut the supply. IMO the stock switch is good for a few amperes only.
Thanks. I thought so..... was not sure of ratings.

My experience with separate wiring, relay and switch for the aux has been good, except for a few times when the fuse has blown when driving in heavy rains or when water has hit the lights in front. This is the safest option, one cannot take ANY risk with short on wiring or fire in the engine compartment, it's not worth the saving.

--Ramky
======
Old 17th September 2011, 11:28   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

My experience with separate wiring, relay and switch for the aux has been good, except for a few times when the fuse has blown when driving in heavy rains or when water has hit the lights in front. This is the safest option, one cannot take ANY risk with short on wiring or fire in the engine compartment, it's not worth the saving.
I think 35W Stock switch's rating will be sufficient when used to operate relay since it will be just used to switch Power on/off from Battery to Hella lamps. The main current will pass from Battery to Lamps which might be heavy. To best of my guess, current through stock switch will be just enough to operate switch in relay which will be much lower. The basis for this logic is, For so many years people are using 90/100W bulb upgradations on Stock High/Low beam switches and very rarely incidences of Melting of Switches are reported, though incidences of blowing of fuse on battery supply mains have been reported. I believe that 90/100W-Relay-Battery circuit and Battery-Switch-Relay circuits are different and they don't interfere with each other. Correct me If I am wrong.
Old 17th September 2011, 13:14   #102
BHPian

Have purchased Rallye 4000 for installing in my scorpio for $116 from Hella Rallye 4000 Driving, Pencil, Fog, Cornering and Xenon HID Driving and Pencil Lamps

waiting for my friend to get them here next month . Isolux graph shows illumination upto 500 mtrs .

Same lamps costs 11-12k in india .
Old 17th September 2011, 16:41   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

--Ramky
======
Fire in the engine compartement, well ask me I have paid 50K to restore my burnt engine bay Safari DICOR and still the car has not been started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
I believe that 90/100W-Relay-Battery circuit and Battery-Switch-Relay circuits are different and they don't interfere with each other. Correct me If I am wrong.
Yes, you will need a relay anyway or you will have to put a 20 Amps switch in place of it.

For good efficiency choose a relay of 150-200 Watts.
mercedised is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 22:30   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you will need a relay anyway or you will have to put a 20 Amps switch in place of it.

For good efficiency choose a relay of 150-200 Watts.
@ mercedised Thanks for the tip. Hella 500FF comes with relay, but I dont know its rating so will confirm with dealer. May I know your opinion on, whether stock switch for 35W bulbs can be used for switching Hellas on/off with use of relay ?

The Hells Dealer has stated that, If Hellas 55W bulbs wont suit my requirements then I can put Osram 100W H3 bulbs safely as Reflectors are metal one and Front lens is Glass. In this case what rating of relay you would like to suggest ? I think I need to change wires and fuse too.
Old 18th September 2011, 09:46   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
@ mercedised Thanks for the tip. Hella 500FF comes with relay, but I dont know its rating so will confirm with dealer. May I know your opinion on, whether stock switch for 35W bulbs can be used for switching Hellas on/off with use of relay ?

The Hells Dealer has stated that, If Hellas 55W bulbs wont suit my requirements then I can put Osram 100W H3 bulbs safely as Reflectors are metal one and Front lens is Glass. In this case what rating of relay you would like to suggest ? I think I need to change wires and fuse too.
Yes you can safely connect the Hellas with stock switch with the help of relay. But, in this case your Hellas will come ON even when you don't need them, therefore you will need a extra switch specifically for the Hellas. Just make sure you connect the 30 No. pin to the parking lights.

For 100W*2 bulbs you need 200\12= 16.5 Amps of current, so a relay of 20 or 30Amps would be more than enough. Similarly for 55w*2 bulbs we need 110\12= 9.1 Amps i.e. a 10-15 Amps relay woul be doing its job for a long time. Just make sure that the relay capacity (in currents) is slightly higher than needed. Ofcourse, use a good 10 Guage wire with a fuse.

Last edited by mercedised : 18th September 2011 at 09:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks