Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:19   #1
BHPian

The Logan Makeover

Ever since my school days in the 80s, I have been doodling automotive forms in my rough books...Never knew then that I would some day chuck a successful IT career, spend all my earnings and more to complete 2 masters Coventry University programmes - an MSc. in automotive Engineering Manufacturing Management and an M.A. Automotive Design...

One may call me mad, but this is what I had to go through when I was told that it was not possible for a B.Com grad to get into automotive design/ styling in India...

Well here I am typing out an intro to my first customising project - a styling makeover on a Mahindra Logan a spacious, comfy, sturdy and much maligned entry mid sized car which I found to be an excellent donor car, whose looks could be transformed into something more characterful and individualistic...

For regular pictorial and other updates folks...feedback and suggestions are most certainly welcome...do watch this space...
Old 22nd November 2010, 01:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

What an intro Ramesh ! Looking forward for the updates and pics ! And nice to see that you belong to "Namma Bengaluru" ! So you do customisation only for Logan or its just something to start with ?

And Logan is a nice car when it comes to the space and engine [not a scorcher though], one serious let down with the car is its grey interior plastics. Take care of those, I think a 25% job is already done to make it look good.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd November 2010 at 01:03.
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:47   #3
BHPian

You are quite a tease how would you expect replies if you dont even let us in on your drift. I hope you are doing a crossover type of mod and would you be doing mods for other vehicles too? Waiting for the pix
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

eagerly waiting for some pics!
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:42   #5
BHPian

Ramesh, Please keep that coming. Please share some pictures. Are the designs in the on-paper stage or on completed on a physical Logan?
Anyways, will wait for your pics.
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please post some pics Ramesh. Waiting impatiently for them.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:24   #7
BHPian

Thanks for all your encouraging words folks...
It is quite thrilling to do the project but more so when the joy that comes form it is shared with our family of auto aficionados here at Team-bhp...

Well yes as you mentioned Swiftnfurious - this, my friend's car - is a diesel engined version so no scorcher, but well the power is shall I say sufficient for long legged cruising...He wants to get the redesing done more to give it a tasty and upmarket new look as he wants to keep this car for ages - a good luck car that grew with his software company...

We have planned to give it a makeover in stages:
- Exteriors first keeping the wheels in mind for a swap later on
- Should not look obviously tarted like a boy racer - a more restrained look like an OEM car with good lines and proportions
- Interiors will be executed at a later date - the car comes with Beige interiors and not the more bland grey one...

Well Maverick a good natured tease does help break the ice wot say? I have actually thought about a crossover on another more spritely sedan or mini SUV, believe it or not but not for this - my first project. Taking it a step at a time on the complexity scale - I am first exploring to see if my ideas can be productionised with the crude custom sheet metal practices seen in India - I believe with a bit if ingenuity the overall design robustness and finish can be brought up to international levels...
This project will as of now be restricted to external sheetmetal work without structural or mechanical rework. And yes I will certainly be working on other models subsequently...and not just cars n SUVs.

The project has already started BusyboyKK - it is not just on paper but exists very much on the shop floor even as I type here...

Have never really posted pictures here on the Team-Bhp server so am checking out how to do this now Ashutoshb and Samsag12 and the rest of you folks...The next post should come with some pictures...

Last edited by R.K.Ramesh : 22nd November 2010 at 22:30.
Old 22nd November 2010, 23:38   #8
BHPian

Well here she comes

This is what the stock lady looked like a few weeks back...She drives into the garage on a fine monday morning.
A metallic brown 1.5 litre Diesel Logan in upmarket trim with lower chin fog lamps...

She looked like any of the 'airport cars' that my friends sometimes refer to her as... Well all that is set to change soon enough...
The Logan Makeover-dscf1057.jpg
Name:  DSCF1061.jpg
Views: 17017
Size:  114.6 KB
The Logan Makeover-dscf1070.jpg

With so many annoying, but not major dents all around, a simple body massage and full body paint job would have done for most cars.

But not for this lady No! She wanted to go the full hog...

'Those derisive names are not for me!' she said - No siree -
'May I have a new nose please, a delectable new chin, piercing powerful eyes, a new hem on my skirts,
a sporty looking tail... well you know what I mean - I want to be dressed up in my sunday bests, a glamorous evening gown or a tuxedo if you may!'

Why most certainly madame...the pleasure's all mine

Last edited by R.K.Ramesh : 22nd November 2010 at 23:40.
R.K.Ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 23:59   #9
BHPian

And the operation starts

Sketches are in place post approval, and transposed onto the line diagram of the Logan and off we go.

On the operation table - modesty carefully placed aside - the lady sheds some of her old clothes.
Look ma, no more smiley grille and boring bumpers.
The Logan Makeover-dscf1080.jpg

With the sun shining sweetly through the concrete grille creating an arty light and shadow play, I must admit that she presents a purposeful and strong look.
The Logan Makeover-dscf1081.jpg

Almost like she was readying herself for a rally...But no, this is not the kind of look we have in mind for her .

The Logan Makeover-dscf1093.jpg
And of course, one must apreciate the strong crash bar and underpinnings Renault has blessed her with.

Next stop the side skirts...she did mention a simple understated hem didnt she
The Logan Makeover-dscf1094.jpg
The Logan Makeover-dscf1091.jpg
R.K.Ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:29   #10
BHPian

And now for those smouldering new eyes

I must add that care was taken to ensure that only the visual ground clearence was lowered and not the actual ground clearence... Didnt want the skirts getting dented by those big bad bumps that spring up from no where at times...

We had to give her an eye transplant - she requested that her eyes not be donated by any existing car so we had to go in for those smaller projector type of lamps...to try and fashion something nice for her - this is uncharted territory - praying that it comes good at the end of it all.
The Logan Makeover-dscf1088.jpg

Here she is trying them on for size...
The Logan Makeover-dscf1086.jpg

Thats it for today folks - the story shall further unfold subsequently
R.K.Ramesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:44   #11
BHPian

@Ramesh : This is something everyone will be hooked on to . I believe the logan is a good car when it comes to the machinery and the electronics . The only place is lost out was the looks . Apart from the usual side skirts front bumper extensions lips and rear bumper extension lips or maybe the HID headlamps , am seriously hoping you have done a lot of cosmetic work on this car . The stock rear is absolutely old age and definitely requires a lot of upgrade . I dont know about the other but am hooked on to this one !
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh Man! One of kind makeover of a ..what ??? Logan! Man I am hooked to this. Already seems promising.
Old 23rd November 2010, 01:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Ramesh View Post
With the sun shining sweetly through the concrete grille creating an arty light and shadow play, I must admit that she presents a purposeful and strong look.
And of course, one must apreciate the strong crash bar and underpinnings Renault has blessed her with.
Exactly the points which got me hooked onto this car while surveying the options. And after 2 years of ownership when i took him (yes, i prefer to call him a HE because of the sturdy no-nonsense looks as well as behaviour) to a garage recently to repair a small dent in the bonnet and front fender, I was almost bowled over when i saw the strong crash guard hidden under the fender.

All the best for your project. Please keep us posted with lots of detailed pictures. I may as well make a trip to Bangy for getting a make-over for my boy.
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

Ramesh, this is an interesting project and you have our attention. I am curious to see how you plan on enhancing the looks from the rear for the Logan.
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I always loved the Logan for its space and vfm. And now I see namma Ramesh Saar doing some nice mod jobs. Waiting for the rest of the pics!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks