Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 06:36   #31
BHPian

Hello GTO

Have you ever been pulled over by the cops for having the automech free flow?

Happened to me twice, my custom made end can was giving a bit of sound and I have been pulled over twice and once fined for 500 bucks for having a loud exhaust. He also should me a small book where the regulation was written for loud exhausts/mufflers.

Can you put some light on that!

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th December 2010, 06:40   #32

Yes, they were correct. Legally, It isnt allowed.
Old 7th December 2010, 08:34   #33
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Yes, they were correct. Legally, It isnt allowed.
What is the legality?

Even in the UK the cops can't just fine you for what they consider a loud exhaust. They need a sound pressure metering device to do so and even then they have to show me that they are qualified to use it correctly.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

The legality is that you cannot change a single part on your car. They can charge you with anything if they are running short on money or if they are in a bad mood. If the exhaust is "loud", you have to pay up.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:38   #35
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The legality is that you cannot change a single part on your car. They can charge you with anything if they are running short on money or if they are in a bad mood. If the exhaust is "loud", you have to pay up.
Hmm. is about time that we change the law.
Old 9th December 2010, 20:19   #36
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Any idea if there is a dyno set up in New Delhi ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Wish there was a dyno here in Delhi / NCR...
To quote :

" it is ideal to have access to an all wheel drive dyno. Finding an all wheel drive dyno facility is no easy task, and Mr. Singh once again proved his unwavering determination by immediately initiating the import of India’s first all wheel dyno!"

SOURCE

cya
R
Old 27th July 2011, 15:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Just got the Typhoon kit for the Civic yesterday from the US. Planning to do the install myself over the weekend. Went about identifying all the parts and the tools needed. I guess I'm all set. Fingers crossed.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• To the uninitiated : Don't get misled or expect even a 1 BHP gain with a stock replacement filter. Good plumbing & positioning with a short-ram / cold-Air-intake can get you a handful of horses though.
• The easy mods are over. Now what? Remap? Piggy back? Forced induction
Awesome!!
Just some thoughts - It would be interesting to see how a factory airbox design + performance filter element fares against this system?
e.g. Retain the original airbox and plumbing and drop in a replacement "performance" filter element to substitute for the original factory filter element.
I know dyno runs are expensive ..but just thinking it would have also been interesting to do another run with just the empty factory box with no airfilter foam..
Old 30th July 2011, 13:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Ok, Took half day off from work last Thursday and did the install myself. Parked the car in a isolated corner parking in the apartment complex (to dodge unnecessary questions from all and sundry), else I will spend half the time explaining why this is needed, does it justify the price etc etc.
Coming to the kit, I have to admit the quality is awesome, down to the last nut and washer. Everything is made in USA - filter, heat shield, rubber hoses, screws, nuts and even the hoseclamps. Everything reeks of quality. The installation manual is very very detailed, even mentioning that when you pull a particular hose out, few drops of coolant might spill, so ave a small cup handy to catch it. The installation instruction ends with telling you to por back the coolant collected (a few drops mind you) back into the radiator. You just need the right tools and a bit of patience to do this. Install was a smooth process wth the ast washer going into where it has to. Started the car and observed for any noises, leaks etc. None, am I satisfied.
Now the drive, the low end seems to be the same. By same, I mean the same as it was after I removed the Catcon. The Catcon removal had really changed the car totally, the low end driveability was awesome after that. So, Civic guys, take my word, if you want a fun to drive Civic in the city, the Cat has to go (unfortunately).My worry that the Typhoon might spoil that, was put to rest, the car had the same eagerness and low end response as before. Now for the famous intake growl - man, I say its awesome, floor the gas and from 3000rpm, the growl is something to die for, all the way to 6000rpm it gets sweeter and sweeter. Not annoyingly loud but, the intake lets you know vocally what this engine can do. The best part - at normal driving and ambling around, when it comes to sound, its absolutely stock which is good. So, when you feel like it, its there for you. I'm reasonably sure, there is a good difference in the mid and top end, but I do not have any statistics to base that on.
So, am really happy now, 5 years of ownership and the Civic continues to be one of the best cars I have experienced. My saga with the beauty continues. So, here are the value for money mods done successfully on the car till date.
1) Catcon knockoff - Rs 3000 at Redrooster, the best value for money mod
Post#61
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...exhaust-5.html

2) Coil spring assisters - Rs 2600 + Rs 1000 installation, the ground scraping issue disappeared, the only hitch, I regret paying 1000 for the install which was a 10 min job, that I could have done myself, had I known
Post# 172, 180, 189
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-12.html

3) Typhoon intake - Rs 9000 (since it was brought in by a friend from US). Install free, great mid and top end, the growl a bonus

Slightly higher budget mods
1) Audio - was a fantastic journey 3 years back and the finesse of the install by Anwar continues to impress - Touchscreen, twin subs, 4 channel amp and monoblock.
The whole step-by-step story of the saga is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...e-upgrade.html

2) Projector headlamps with HIDs - got it when I went to Bangkok, pretty good, but I would say more of bling

Here are some pics of the Typhoon kit and the installed pics
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-box.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-filter.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-heat-shield.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-intake-tube-1.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-intake-tube-2.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-parts.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-installed1.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-installed2.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake-installed3.jpg  

Last edited by dinu2506 : 30th July 2011 at 13:02.
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 23:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quick question for you, Rush.

Does the K&N in your Civic gets real dirty very quickly? I mean, I have cleaned my Typhoon 3 times in past 11000 kms or so! Damn this, Civic's engine bay picks up so much of dirt in no time.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

Does the K&N in your Civic gets real dirty very quickly? I mean, I have cleaned my Typhoon 3 times in past 11000 kms or so! Damn this, Civic's engine bay picks up so much of dirt in no time.
I don't think you need to go by the looks. It will lose its pink colour very soon, but I don't think it means its due for a cleanup. I suggest cleaning every 10000kms or so. You can probably use a light paintbrush to brush off the dust on the outside.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:39   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

It's not too bad. One reason is that my Civic's running has dropped since June of this year. I think I can get away with cleaning it once a year / 10,000 kms, though if you can do it twice a year, that's probably more recommended. India is an extremely dusty country
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks