Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 18:27   #2341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Guys I need some advice,

During the 1st service of my SX4 (July 2009) I got Mobil-1 (0w-40) fully synthetic engine oil , Now the issue is that my 2nd service is due within this week,
so I wanted to know whether I should stick to the fully synthetic or switch to normal oil.

1. What would be advisable in the long run ?
(Taking into account various parameters such as performance, engine life and economy.)

2. Should I change to normal oil now and switch to fully synthetic during my 3rd service ?

P.S.: The car has 3900 kms till date and I plan to retain her for at least 7-8 years.
HOLD ON - Why do you want to change oil again ? Its only been 6 months and less than 5K kms right ?
Old 5th January 2010, 18:35   #2342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys I need some advice,

During the 1st service of my SX4 (July 2009) I got Mobil-1 (0w-40) fully synthetic engine oil , Now the issue is that my 2nd service is due within this week,
so I wanted to know whether I should stick to the fully synthetic or switch to normal oil.

1. What would be advisable in the long run ?
(Taking into account various parameters such as performance, engine life and economy.)

2. Should I change to normal oil now and switch to fully synthetic during my 3rd service ?

P.S.: The car has 3900 kms till date and I plan to retain her for at least 7-8 years.
1) Stick to Synthetic, shifting back to mineral is downgrading, best avoided.
2) No need for an oil change, synthetics last for 7k kms without much damage. Just let the car run more and then change the oil and filter to new maybe around 7-8 k kms. Stick to synthetics as pointed in 1).
Old 5th January 2010, 18:39   #2343
BHPian

Maruti authorized service stations should have TOTAL 5W30 for SX4. U may know that TOTAL is the 4th largest oil and gas producer in the world based out of Japan.I'am attaching a link to help you decide. Basically the terminology related to oils relates to viscosity. Once you go through the web page, you will realize that for a regular driver like you and me , the manufacturer's recommendation is more than sufficient for your needs. Incidentally W stands for winter. Motor Oil Viscosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
^^Move to 5W50 grade of Mobil1.
You should be fine.
Old 5th January 2010, 20:41   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
HOLD ON - Why do you want to change oil again ? Its only been 6 months and less than 5K kms right ?
I too changed the oil to Helix HX5 15W40/API SL during the first service of my Alto. Again did the oil/filter change with the same brand during the second service with 3000 KM on the odo, even though it was not recommended in the manual. There will be another mandatory change of oil and filter during the third service, and I will stick with the same brand. Thereafter I will change the oil once in six months, and oil+Filter every twelve months.

I have decided upon this regime as my running during a six month period will be max 3000 KM, and I don't feel at ease with annual oil changes.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:05   #2345
Senior - BHPian

I know this has been debated a zillion times but i will always doubt a oil change every 6 months if the distance traveled is less than the recommended 5000 kms.I have a 12 year (close to 13 years now May 97 model,31,496 kms total) 800.My distance covered has more has been around < 5000 kms per year.Except may be the on 1st year of ownership the oil has always been changed just once every year along with the oil filter.My car still runs smooth and fine as far as the engine is concerned and hopefully will remain so in the coming years.

Maybe one should consider the environmental impact of draining oil every 6 months if it is not warranted by the manafacturer.Ofcourse sometimes we all go the extra mile to protect our investment especially one which is bought by one's hard earned money but i think sticking to manafacturer's recommendations with respect to something like oil changes would not hurt the car and would also do good for the environment and your wallet.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:12   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Maybe one should consider the environmental impact of draining oil every 6 months if it is not warranted by the manafacturer.Ofcourse sometimes we all go the extra mile to protect our investment especially one which is bought by one's hard earned money but i think sticking to manafacturer's recommendations with respect to something like oil changes would not hurt the car and would also do good for the environment and your wallet.
I could not agree with you more. We tend to give lectures about environment conservation blah blah but forget lot of what goes into conserving it while we are at it!! Excellent point sumeet.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:12   #2347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
To my knowledge the Vista Quadrajet and the Fiat's using the same engine come with Synthetic oil filled from the factory.
Which, if confirmed, would very swiftly relegate the "run-x-kms-before-synthetic" theory to the dustbin.

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2010, 00:36   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Which, if confirmed, would very swiftly relegate the "run-x-kms-before-synthetic" theory to the dustbin.

Cheers!
Hi R2D2

There is a reason for the "run-x-kms-before-synthetic" theory.
A new engine needs to break-in really well. Synthetic lubricants lubricate too well for proper break-in.

Quote:
If the wrong type of oil is used initially, or the break-in is too easy, rings and cylinders could (read will) glaze and never seal properly. A fresh cylinder wall needs some medium to high engine loading to get the piston rings to seat properly for good compression but make sure you don't lug or overheat the engine. Use high quality, low viscosity oil, no synthetics, too slippery. If synthetics are used during initial break in the rings are sure to glaze over.
Source: New Engine Break-in Procedure
That is why regular mineral oil OR engine break-in oil(unavailable in India) is suggested for new engines.

PS: Mobil or oil companies will say anything they want to sell their merchandise.

Last edited by nitrous : 6th January 2010 at 00:37.
Old 6th January 2010, 00:54   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
^^Move to 5W50 grade of Mobil1.
You should be fine.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) Stick to Synthetic, shifting back to mineral is downgrading, best avoided.
2) No need for an oil change, synthetics last for 7k kms without much damage. Just let the car run more and then change the oil and filter to new maybe around 7-8 k kms. Stick to synthetics as pointed in 1).
I bought the car back in June 2009,
I told the service advisor that the car has run only 3900 kms from the date of purchase, to which he replied that I should change the oil as its been 6 months since the 1st service and an oil change is done during the 2nd service.
Is he correct? or should I gather more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
Maruti authorized service stations should have TOTAL 5W30 for SX4. U may know that TOTAL is the 4th largest oil and gas producer in the world based out of Japan.I'am attaching a link to help you decide. Basically the terminology related to oils relates to viscosity. Once you go through the web page, you will realize that for a regular driver like you and me , the manufacturer's recommendation is more than sufficient for your needs. Incidentally W stands for winter. Motor Oil Viscosity
Thanks for the article, if an oil change is necessary I guess I'll go in for (5W-50) as Nitrous suggested.
Old 6th January 2010, 01:35   #2350
Senior - BHPian

Hi Maglev

I suggested 5W50 since that's the only other grade from Mobil thats Mobil1.
Check your owners manual and use 5W40 or 5W30 keeping in mind the climate, road conditions,etc.
I'm saying this because The SX4 has the M16A engine and this new gen engine from Suzuki might work with lighter(5W30) engine oil even in frying-hot delhi summers. It might! I'm not too familiar with the SX4 engine.
So, do look up the owner's manual.

PS: You can definitely use the 5W40. I'm just not sure about the 5W30. But prats posted about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1666529-post2343.html

Last edited by nitrous : 6th January 2010 at 01:39.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:09   #2351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi R2D2

There is a reason for the "run-x-kms-before-synthetic" theory.
A new engine needs to break-in really well. Synthetic lubricants lubricate too well for proper break-in.

PS: Mobil or oil companies will say anything they want to sell their merchandise.
Yes Nitrous I agree with what you say.

If you look at some of my initial posts about factory filled synth I was a bit sceptical about the theory but was informed that:

a) Oil companies will always make a pitch to sell their synth formulations
b) Cars that come with factory filled synth (listed on Mobil 1 site) are high end vehicles with tighter engine tolerances than run-of-the-mill cars.

I believe in the "collective wisdom" on TBHP. But if Fiat, are using synthetic at the factory it is certainly food for thought.

Cheers!
Old 8th January 2010, 12:18   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maglev

I suggested 5W50 since that's the only other grade from Mobil thats Mobil1.
Check your owners manual and use 5W40 or 5W30 keeping in mind the climate, road conditions,etc.
I'm saying this because The SX4 has the M16A engine and this new gen engine from Suzuki might work with lighter(5W30) engine oil even in frying-hot delhi summers. It might! I'm not too familiar with the SX4 engine.
So, do look up the owner's manual.

PS: You can definitely use the 5W40. I'm just not sure about the 5W30. But prats posted about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1666529-post2343.html
yesterday i bought a idemtsu enigine oil specially formulated for maruti SX4 and grand vitara (as was written on the box) it was priced at rs.1090 for 5lts can. well the specification was 5w-30 API-SJ . it is a very smooth engine oil as i had put it in my friends SX4- it runs very very smooth and the engine is super responsive. also this NOT A FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL it is just a smei synthetic enigine oil.
i believe one should stick to this grade oil as the new VVT engine needs a thin oil for optimum performance.
well for now idemitsu engine oils are manufactured by savita chemicals, india.

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 8th January 2010 at 12:20.
Old 8th January 2010, 13:10   #2353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I should change the oil as its been 6 months since the 1st service and an oil change is done during the 2nd service.
Is he correct? or should I gather more info.
With synthetics you can easily push to 7k kms or 1 year without any damage or deterioration.
Old 8th January 2010, 13:41   #2354
BHPian

a somewhat unrelated question - I am getting mobil 1 from a slightly older stock, I think packed in late 2008 for approx 600/litre. My question is do the engine oils have a best before date? Is it safe to use a 1.5 yrs old stock of oil?
Old 11th January 2010, 23:24   #2355
Senior - BHPian

i changed from mineral oil to Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w40 in the Zen today as per the able advice of a lot of bhpians (on facebook) and I am thankful to them.
I am damn sure the engine is now sounding very very different and there's a very smooth feel at idle. It doesn't sound strained on revving anymore and for the first time I went for a joy ride in it to enjoy driving. Came back smiling as the engine has become rev happy and very tractable. Believe it or not, I am sure there is a slight increase in power too, but I might be dreaming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks