Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 01:02   #2866
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I got 3 litres of MObil 1 5w50 Synthetic for 700rs/Lt in delhi today jus wanted to check whats the Going rate for Mobil 1?? I hope i havent got Spurious oil!
You got it at a better price. In December last year, I purchased 0W40@750/- per litre from Sector 16 Noida.

Do let us know from where you bought the same?
Old 18th January 2011, 02:27   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Hey Born 2 Be Wild,

That is a good price and one reason could be that 5W50 may not be in great demand. I wonder what price your retailer would charge for the more popular grade 0W40 or the MUL approved grade of 10W40. Do share the contact details of the shop you bought it from.
Old 18th January 2011, 02:46   #2868
Senior - BHPian

0W40 is a costlier grade and its not very popular as well.
But, it is promoted at ASCs by Service Advisors.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:17   #2869
BHPian

I bought It From "Triple K Trading Co. United Auto Spares , g-22 Palaika Bhawan Opp Hyaat Hotel. The guy also stocks Shell helix oils and is a ditributor for Mobil was Wearing a Mobil Jacket too . Initially he quoted 800 Rs but i gave him the refrence of the guy who runs our workshop and he said ok its 700 then. Hence the doubt in my Mind but have been reassured by my mechanic that the guy is Authentic.
Old 18th January 2011, 13:58   #2870
Senior - BHPian

Pallika Bhawan can surprise you with its pricing for tyres, oils, batteries and the like. Majority of their business is from Govt. vehicles where drivers rule the roost. For private vehicles the drivers cut (in case of govt. vehicles) translates into upfront discount.
Old 28th January 2011, 03:53   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Last week on the 19th to be exact, the Blue Streak was put through its 3rd service at 9800 odd kilometers. The engine oil was changed and this time I lovingly had her fed with 4 full liters of MOTUL 8100 Xcess pure Synthetic oil recommended by Mitsubishi Motor Corporation. Currently at 10200 odd kilometers the oil change is beginning to show its true effects. The engine has become butter smooth. I am able to attain better speeds at lower RPMs and the engine response at start off has undergone a dramatic change. A couple of times, I almost hit the vehicles ahead due to the now amazing pick up in first and second gears. The manner in which she leaps forward at the slightest of pedal input is very addictive and corrupting. I have been listening non stop to Jagjit Singh's soothing melodies in an attempt to keep my impulses under control. I only wish that I had changed to Motul Synthetic at the first service itself.

Lovely oil this 8100, as the ad says "I'M Lovin It"!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MOTUL 8100-X-cess-5W-40-3682(GB).pdf (22.7 KB, 539 views)
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2011, 14:50   #2872
Senior - BHPian

I am time Khoj, I am in for the 70k service of my cedia in another 3k kms and I was thinking of going synthetic. I was planning for Castrol EDGE and a friendly auto parts shop has quoted me 3k for 4L oil. The MRP on same is Rs. 4300 (if I am not wrong). How much did the Motul cost you from Misubishi, if you dont mind sharing.

And yes Palika Bhavan can certainly surprise anyone, get this, bought a Bosch wiper set for lancer last week for only Rs. 200.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-photo0041.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 5th February 2011 at 14:59.
Old 5th February 2011, 21:12   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gaurav,

Not at all, I paid Rs.1,022.21 per liter for the 4 liters adding up to a total of 4,088.84 for the same. Of the above 511.11 was tax, so roughly 3500/- without bill. Trust that helps.

Unsolicited advice, If you can then go for the 8100 Xcess itself. At their respective change overs my other cars currently on Mobil1 and Shell Helix Ultra will be put on a Motul Xcess 8100 diet. The only catch is that this oil comes in 5 liter packs apart from that it is pure gold.
Old 6th February 2011, 00:17   #2874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey Gaurav,

Not at all, I paid Rs.1,022.21 per liter for the 4 liters adding up to a total of 4,088.84 for the same. Of the above 511.11 was tax, so roughly 3500/- without bill. Trust that helps.

Unsolicited advice, If you can then go for the 8100 Xcess itself. At their respective change overs my other cars currently on Mobil1 and Shell Helix Ultra will be put on a Motul Xcess 8100 diet. The only catch is that this oil comes in 5 liter packs apart from that it is pure gold.
Thanks Khoj, I wont mind synthetic at 4k if I start using 15k service intervals but if I stick to 10k service interval, which I of course prefer, even 3k for Castrol EDGE will be a bit of stretch. Most of ours and family's cars run on Castrol GTX. The problem is I have high running, I normally do 10k kms in 4 -5 months and then Rs.6-7k for service ever 4 months will be over our budget considering, we have the heafty Polo, and pocket friendly 800 (getting it serviced every 5k, makes it almost as expensive to service as cedia, lolzzz) and swift to feed.

I am still confused, but I think if I go synthetic, its better to go for Mitsui recommended motul. Another problem is that for now I pay for my cedia's service, but if I move for my MBA, probably this year or next, my dad will kill me once he gets to know I have been using synthetic in a car in which its not mandatory. But he was ok for Polo for which the company says its mandatory.

Thanks anyways,
Lets see, I badly want to go for synthetic, but I also have badly managed finances these days.

Gaurav

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th February 2011 at 00:26.
Old 6th February 2011, 01:01   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Two things here

You should be able to source Xcess for less from the open market since HMs margin will be shared between you and the seller.

Get the Edge only if it is manufactured in the UK/EU . If it says packed in India just let it be.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:09   #2876
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Mobil1 5W50 All this while in My Accent,and have been very happy with its performance.
Also,I have been using Motul 300V 15W50 on my Bike,and again,i have been happy with it.

Now while purchasing Motul 300V yesterday,i came across this Oil Motul 6100 15W50 for 4 Wheelers.

Has anyone used this oil?
Should i stick to Mobil1 or try this?
Old 6th February 2011, 16:40   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Khoj. Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Two things here

You should be able to source Xcess for less from the open market since HMs margin will be shared between you and the seller.

I think I will buy it from Mitsui if I go with Xcess .

Get the Edge only if it is manufactured in the UK/EU . If it says packed in India just let it be.

Thanks for the pointer. Just Curious, any specific reason for the same.
Old 6th February 2011, 16:50   #2878
BHPian

Yesterday the 3rd service @ 10K was due for my Ritz. After going through this thread i concluded that Semi Synthetics are best buy for me since they are easy on the pocket as well as are much better than Mineral Oil and does not require frequent changing.

Since MASS was providing either Mobil1 @1100 per litre or Servo mineral oil @ 1k for 3.5 litres, i decided to buy Castrol Magnatech 5W30 from outside. This particular oil is recommended by MUL also. I informed this to my Service Advisor in advance and he agreed to that. Now when it was time to change the engine oil, the head mechanic blatantly refused to put Castrol and said that only company provided oil will be used. Things escalated and finally had to talk to Senior Most SA. His reply was that they are ready to put the Oil i had brought but it will void the Engine warranty because the oil was not provided by MUL and they wont be showing in the records that the oil has been changed.

In order to retain the Warranty, i was bound by their Stupid rules and finally had to settle with Mineral Oil. I just want to confirm that anybody else has faced a similar issue? And at what interval should i change the Oil. The SA advisor recommended 10k interval even for the mineral oil.
Old 7th February 2011, 01:38   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Thanks Khoj. Please find my replies in bold
I do not like it when someone tempers with such expensive and high tech liquids here. If the product says blended in the UK and bottled/packed in India, I will not spend my money on it. I would then rather get the 4 liter for 1K mineral. Having moved around in various blending units and industry in general I am put off by how carelessly goods are handled from raw to finished products. I will only spend that kind of money when the import label reads manufactured & packed in XYZ and imported by ABC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaks7 View Post
Yesterday the 3rd service @ 10K was due for my Ritz. After going through this thread i concluded that Semi Synthetics are best buy for me since they are easy on the pocket as well as are much better than Mineral Oil and does not require frequent changing.

Since MASS was providing either Mobil1 @1100 per litre or Servo mineral oil @ 1k for 3.5 litres, i decided to buy Castrol Magnatech 5W30 from outside. This particular oil is recommended by MUL also. I informed this to my Service Advisor in advance and he agreed to that. Now when it was time to change the engine oil, the head mechanic blatantly refused to put Castrol and said that only company provided oil will be used. Things escalated and finally had to talk to Senior Most SA. His reply was that they are ready to put the Oil i had brought but it will void the Engine warranty because the oil was not provided by MUL and they wont be showing in the records that the oil has been changed.

In order to retain the Warranty, i was bound by their Stupid rules and finally had to settle with Mineral Oil. I just want to confirm that anybody else has faced a similar issue? And at what interval should i change the Oil. The SA advisor recommended 10k interval even for the mineral oil.
This is a ploy used by the various service centers to sell what is in their stock. They will frown and huff and puff if you take your own oil but will relent "Just this once SIR". At the most they can mention in your service history that the oil was supplied by the car owner. they have absolutely no authority to void your vehicle's warranty. MUL alone has the authority to do so and that too will happen in a very extreme case. I have checked this with Maruti Service Masters who are partly owned by MUL besides two other Japanese financial institutions. Even MSM though 1/3rd owned by MUL can't void the warranty so what to speak of a normal dealer.

I did use to face this earlier when MUL S.C.s only had M.G.O. i.e. Servo but now ever since they have started stocking the entire range I have reverted to getting the oils from them. The one thing I still insist on though is that synthetic oil must be poured in front of me or my driver/representative and that it has to be a sealed pack. If they have an issue with that they can refuse upfront in the morning itself and my car will be out of there in a flash. However I have never had a problem in this regard. I have had Castrol Magnatec poured in to my Swift Zxi on 1000Kms at Automotive Manufacturers, Nerul then on 5000kms at Thanawalla Motors in Thane and Mobil 1 at MY CAR in Wakad upon completing 10000Kms. In each case a new 4l pack was issued by the store and poured in my presence.

You can change the oil at a mileage that you want to change it at. The service center will be more than happy to sell you the oil + filter and earn the labour charges too. Your car you decide.
Old 7th February 2011, 10:54   #2880
BHPian

Price of Mobil 1 5w50

Dear BHPians,

Picked up a 4l can of Mobil 1 5w50 with bill for around 3300. They were willing to give it away without bill for 2970.

This is in J C Road.

Best Regards

Sateesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks