Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 12:05   #2986
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

^^ I would suggest a change of fresh mineral oil + filter, run for 20 KM, drain and change to synthetic oil + filter. IMO this would be better and safer than an engine flush.

But one can straightaway change to synth without flush, according to the Shell website.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th April 2011 at 12:07.
Old 24th April 2011, 13:32   #2987
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Fquote=v&v;2324962]Do flush the engine before switch to synthetic.

Why? Flushing has negative effects and is risky for engine performance is it not? Is it a MUST/ALWAYS recommendation? What if we dont?

Thanks
--Ragul[/quote]

Engine flush is done to remove the sludge deposits in the engine. It again a personal call , if the engine oil is changed on time and vehicle is maintained well then IMO not required.
AFAIK flush does not have any negative effects, rather if done once every 50K kms flush should improve the performance.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:23   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey B2BW,

The poor thing has gone and done what probably an injector flush and a decarbonization would not have been able to achieve ( without the associated side effects that is) and you still believe it is nothing major. Come on! do give the oil credit, where, it is due.
That was a just a day after i changed the oil seems to have grown on me , The engine is super quite now plus its smokin a little lesser then earlier, I had also done the Desi Decarb with the Hosepipe in the silencer and let it rev after that, The amount of carbon that came out of the silencer was astonishing ! All in all i feel the oil is worth the 3600/rs i spent on it.
Old 25th April 2011, 06:57   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I had also done the Desi Decarb with the Hosepipe in the silencer and let it rev after that, The amount of carbon that came out of the silencer was astonishing !.
Care to elaborate? I would like to know what a hosepipe is and what this procedure is in detail.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:14   #2990
BHPian

I have heard that there are alot of duplicate mobil1 available in the market which are from China! is that true? if yes then how would one come to know whether its an original or a duplicate? At some places the rate of mobil1 5w40 is around rs.600/litre and some places its around Rs.900/litre. Im not able to understand this! please help
Old 25th April 2011, 23:03   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Care to elaborate? I would like to know what a hosepipe is and what this procedure is in detail.
What some people say about diesel cars is that to clear the exhaust out, One needs to start the car let it idle and then put a water hose pipe into the silencer do this for 3-5 minutes and then take the hose pipe out the car will start throwing out the water in the silencer then you simply let it REv and all the water comes out with the carbon deposits. My car had run 42 k kms and i switched over to SYnthetic Mobil 1 Delvac, flushed the engine and did the Desi decarb as well . No side affects till now, i was apprehensive about doing it but since all the Tax drivers get it done at our workshop i said what the hell lets give it a shot.
Old 25th April 2011, 23:42   #2992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What some people say about diesel cars is that to clear the exhaust out, One needs to start the car let it idle and then put a water hose pipe into the silencer do this for 3-5 minutes and then take the hose pipe out the car will start throwing out the water in the silencer then you simply let it REv and all the water comes out with the carbon deposits. My car had run 42 k kms and i switched over to SYnthetic Mobil 1 Delvac, flushed the engine and did the Desi decarb as well . No side affects till now, i was apprehensive about doing it but since all the Tax drivers get it done at our workshop i said what the hell lets give it a shot.
Is this the Ikon 1.8D? Does it have a cat-con? Wont this water in the exhaust hurt the cat-con, and isn't there a risk of water being sucked in - the car is idling and there wont be much pressure in the outwards direction in exhaust, I guess?
Old 26th April 2011, 01:22   #2993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Is this the Ikon 1.8D? Does it have a cat-con? Wont this water in the exhaust hurt the cat-con, and isn't there a risk of water being sucked in - the car is idling and there wont be much pressure in the outwards direction in exhaust, I guess?
Nope its The 1.4 TDCI and as per my Mechanic the water cant be sucked into the engine through the exhaust, atleast thats what he said and i have run the car for close to about a 1000 kms after that with no issues so far plus have seen this being done to INdigo's, Innova's indica's. Maybe the Gurus will know more i am travelling in the same boat you are
Old 26th April 2011, 01:27   #2994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope its The 1.4 TDCI and as per my Mechanic the water cant be sucked into the engine through the exhaust, atleast thats what he said and i have run the car for close to about a 1000 kms after that with no issues so far plus have seen this being done to INdigo's, Innova's indica's. Maybe the Gurus will know more i am travelling in the same boat you are
Am asking because cars that get stuck in rain usually get stuck when the exhaust get stuck under water and there is not enough pressure in the exhaust (read not enough throttle) to not allow the water inside the exhaust, resulting in water getting sucked in. But like you said, let someone with more tech know how figure this out for us
Old 26th April 2011, 01:35   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Am asking because cars that get stuck in rain usually get stuck when the exhaust get stuck under water and there is not enough pressure in the exhaust (read not enough throttle) to not allow the water inside the exhaust, resulting in water getting sucked in. But like you said, let someone with more tech know how figure this out for us

I am Going OT with this but just cant help it, Am not a Guru With enough Tech knowledge on this but applying what ever little common sense i have brings me to believe that in case with water logging during rains the exhaust is completely submerged with absolutely no escape route for the Exhaust gases as the outlet is completely submerged , but with the hosepipe it was never completely closed or blocked. After removing the hosepipe the water was actually flowing out steadily and on hard revving its like black acid rain the amount of carbon that came out was huge. The water ran out in about 3 hard Revvs.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:55   #2996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
I have heard that there are alot of duplicate mobil1 available in the market which are from China! is that true? if yes then how would one come to know whether its an original or a duplicate? At some places the rate of mobil1 5w40 is around rs.600/litre and some places its around Rs.900/litre. Im not able to understand this! please help
I regularly buy Mobil1 from a vendor in Trivandrum, I pay 1000 Rs per liter (MRP 1100). I guess if the engine produces less sound on the new oil, it must be genuine (It's difficult to duplicate the 'less sound' without the excellent lubrication, right?).
Old 26th April 2011, 19:40   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Why? Flushing has negative effects and is risky for engine performance is it not? Is it a MUST/ALWAYS recommendation? What if we dont?
I used to put mineral oil in my car on a regular basis and was afraid to use engine flush in my car, as the car was already over six years old and had run 50000+ KM before switching over to synthetics. But the result was quite impressive and I am very much satisfied. But the oil I put in my car was Castrol Edge, which may not be recommended by everyone, specially the Mobil1 users.
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

Last edited by rahul4640 : 26th April 2011 at 19:42. Reason: Spelling check
Old 29th April 2011, 01:40   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Castrol Edge packs being sold currently are filled with oil made at their plants in the UK so at the moment they are good to go. Once they switch the production to their local facility, that would be the time to say bye bye to the Edge.
Old 1st May 2011, 19:06   #2999
BHPian

Hi all. After changing to shell helix ultra 5w40 fully synthetic on 3rd service of my swift vdi abs at 10k km, after doing 800 km, engine oil pressure light started to remain on. Check and got the engine oil pressure changed under warranty as that was found to be defective. My question is, how is it possible for that to go defective after the oil change service. Is switching from mineral to shell helix ultra 5w40 fully synthetic has anything to do to the occurance of this problem? or is it possible for the cause to be the way the oil was changed. After getting the engine oil pressure sensor changed, i can clearly feel as if they have changed it back to mineral as the difference i had on switching to synthetic oil is no longer there. Noise level is higher and also the engine performance is little less when compared with the one I had after changing to synthetic and before getting the oil pressure sendor changed. Is there anyway i can check if they have not changed the oil? Experts help please.. I got the engine oil changed and also the sensor changed by khivraj maruti, chennai. They say that they have not changed the oil but i feel the change very clearly.
Old 1st May 2011, 20:03   #3000
BHPian

^^ they will not change the oil for free!! So, check your bill - if they changed, they must have charged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks