Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 10:26   #2971
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
.......... detailers ............
Oops, the correct term is blueprinting and not detailing.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:09   #2972
BHPian

Alright guys. Thanks for the info. So the oil & oil filter will now be changed at the second service mostly. Will try & find out the engine oil they use & post it here when its changed along with the cost. Perhaps itll help someone.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:46   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Running-in is still vital even today.
If not, Why would a piece of technical brilliance that is the 4.4litre BMW V8 revving up to 8000rpm have a run-in process of "5500rpm and no full throttle until 1200miles" specified in the owners manual ?
Old 14th April 2011, 00:24   #2974
BHPian

Well, we are discussing the oil & oil filter change during running in & not the running in itself. The car as been adhered to the running in gear ratios & speeds as per the manual.

The question here is, do we still need to change the oil & oil filter in the first thousand kms or miles?
Old 14th April 2011, 07:23   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
The question here is, do we still need to change the oil & oil filter in the first thousand kms or miles?
If your owners' manual does not specify it, you don't have to. Just adhere to whatever it says, and live happily ever after!
Old 15th April 2011, 04:38   #2976
BHPian

Hi all. After changing oil in my swift vdi abs, now going to change in my baleno. Bought Mobile 1 0W40 fully synthetic for Rs.4000 (4 litre can).Hope this is the right one. I dont know the oil spec for my baleno as per owners manual as I lost it. Baleno owners and friends of baleno owners please help me in finding the spec as per the owners manual.My Baleno is year 2000 model.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:32   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Hi all. After changing oil in my swift vdi abs, now going to change in my baleno. Bought Mobile 1 0W40 fully synthetic for Rs.4000 (4 litre can).Hope this is the right one. I dont know the oil spec for my baleno as per owners manual as I lost it. Baleno owners and friends of baleno owners please help me in finding the spec as per the owners manual.My Baleno is year 2000 model.
0W40 in Chennai summer?
Exchange it for the Mobil1 5W50.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:46   #2978
BANNED

API-SN Specifications.

Here is what I was able to find. No cards for simple folks like us so far.

@satish_tns: I hope you are talking about Mobil1 and not Mobile1!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf oilspecifications.pdf (33.1 KB, 534 views)
File Type: pdf 1509techbull1complete.pdf (261.2 KB, 389 views)
Old 22nd April 2011, 04:44   #2979
BHPian

Nitrous, before even I tell my brother to get 0W40 exchanged with 5w50, he went in and got the 0w40 filled in my baleno. On riding it after having mobil 1 0w40, i was surprised on the terrific change. In 80kmph on 5th grear, i fell that the engine is turned off and doubt whether it is running as it is so quiet. Also gives out a tearing performance.

Off topic, a quick question while we have experts here in this thread.. Does engine oil, even if it is fully synthetic, will be black in colour in diesel engines, that to a week after engine oil change?? Khivraj maruti says that engine oil will be only black for diesel engines even if oil is changed just now. Just wanted to confirm as it makes logic since diesel engine are oil burners. I wanted to ask as in my swift vdi abs, engine oil is black when I checked and it has done 1000 km since i changed to shell helix ultra 5w40 2 weeks back.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:07   #2980
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Well, we are discussing the oil & oil filter change during running in & not the running in itself. The car as been adhered to the running in gear ratios & speeds as per the manual.

Please do if the service schedule in the manual specifies it.

--Ragul
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:41   #2981
BHPian

After a Lot of seraching couldnt find any oil in delhi in 5W30 for my TDCI fiesta hence went ahead and purchased Mobil Delvac 1 And the results so far are just a quiter engine and its a little free in its revs then before nothing major though, Thanks SAnkar for all your help .

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Off topic, a quick question while we have experts here in this thread.. Does engine oil, even if it is fully synthetic, will be black in colour in diesel engines, that to a week after engine oil change?? Khivraj maruti says that engine oil will be only black for diesel engines even if oil is changed just now. Just wanted to confirm as it makes logic since diesel engine are oil burners. I wanted to ask as in my swift vdi abs, engine oil is black when I checked and it has done 1000 km since i changed to shell helix ultra 5w40 2 weeks back.
Diesel engine oil will go black within a day of you pouring it in to the car, if not sooner!
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:16   #2982
BHPian

Guys i have an Accent GLS 1.5 which has done 72000kms. Its overall engine work was done at 60000kms since then its running on Castrol gtx magnetic with oil change at regular intervals. I want to change it to synthetic. Which one should i go for Shell helix ultra or Mobil 1? and if Mobil1 then what grade? do i need to do an engine flush while changing to synthetic?
Old 24th April 2011, 02:19   #2983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
went ahead and purchased Mobil Delvac 1 And the results so far are just a quiter engine and its a little free in its revs then before nothing major though!
Hey B2BW,

The poor thing has gone and done what probably an injector flush and a decarbonization would not have been able to achieve ( without the associated side effects that is) and you still believe it is nothing major. Come on! do give the oil credit, where it is due.

Last edited by khoj : 24th April 2011 at 02:27.
Old 24th April 2011, 09:52   #2984
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
Guys i have an Accent GLS 1.5 which has done 72000kms. Its overall engine work was done at 60000kms since then its running on Castrol gtx magnetic with oil change at regular intervals. I want to change it to synthetic. Which one should i go for Shell helix ultra or Mobil 1? and if Mobil1 then what grade? do i need to do an engine flush while changing to synthetic?
I would suggest Mobil 1 5w40. Since its only run 12k after engine work , i would suggest to switch to synthetic after 20k. Do flush the engine before switch to synthetic.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 10:59   #2985
BANNED

Fquote=v&v;2324962]Do flush the engine before switch to synthetic.[/quote]

Why? Flushing has negative effects and is risky for engine performance is it not? Is it a MUST/ALWAYS recommendation? What if we dont?

Thanks
--Ragul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks