Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 16:51   #2956
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 in my swift petrol for the past one year. It is time to chnage the oil now. Should I stick to Shell or change to Mobil1 0W40? Are they both priced similarly? The car has clocked 28k km and is into its 6th year now.
Try it. See if you can feel any difference. Coming from Shell Helix Ultra you'll be able to identify the benefit, if any, better than people who haven't used both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Prices are more or less similar. Advantage with Mobil is, it is available in the MASS itself, though price may be higher than outside.
Here they're pushing Shell Helix Ultra at the MASS i go to.

Last edited by Sankar : 6th April 2011 at 16:53.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:58   #2957
Senior - BHPian

^^
I see. If one takes the car to MASS for service, it will be hassle free to buy the oil from them, provided they stock the brand we prefer. It will be better not to bother about the slightly higher price because,

a) Chances of spurious oil will be minimized, and

b) They will be more enthusiastic about the oil change job - will not crib when we insist they wait till the last drop of old oil drains out!

Last edited by Gansan : 6th April 2011 at 16:59.
Old 8th April 2011, 05:00   #2958
BHPian

Hi all.. Thanks for the response.. My swift vdi abs manual reads this : "Be sure that the engine oil you use comes under the quality classification of ACEA B3. The recommended Engine Oil is SF 15W40, API-CG4 or above. The oil that I have used is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 fully synthetic that has the specification that reads API SM/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4. Since I have CF in my oil and recommended is CG4, is there any problem where I have to change immediately or can I change it to CG4 or grater oil, on my next oil change (tentativly after using this oil for 10,000 km) ? Also, recommendation says SF 15W40 and what does that SF mean? Also, since the oil I use meets ACEA B3, is it ok to use this oil for now? I am little concerned now :-( As said earlier, I should have done these thinks before changing to shell helix ultra 5W40 fully synthetic. (But i belive in this : It is not too late to correct our mistakes).
Old 8th April 2011, 07:00   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Hi all.. Thanks for the response.. My swift vdi abs manual reads this : "Be sure that the engine oil you use comes under the quality classification of ACEA B3. The recommended Engine Oil is SF 15W40, API-CG4 or above. The oil that I have used is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 fully synthetic that has the specification that reads API SM/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4. Since I have CF in my oil and recommended is CG4, is there any problem where I have to change immediately or can I change it to CG4 or grater oil, on my next oil change (tentativly after using this oil for 10,000 km) ? Also, recommendation says SF 15W40 and what does that SF mean? Also, since the oil I use meets ACEA B3, is it ok to use this oil for now? I am little concerned now :-( As said earlier, I should have done these thinks before changing to shell helix ultra 5W40 fully synthetic. (But i belive in this : It is not too late to correct our mistakes).
Don't waste the Shell Helix Ultra.
Replace it with a CG4 or higher after 10,000 kms.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:56   #2960
BHPian

Hey guys. Just thought id take some feedback from everyone. Got a Tata Manza Elan in the family recently & it just came back from its 1st service. Now, after reading quite a few threads on BHP, ive made it customary to get the engine oil & oil filter changed on a new car after it completes its first 1000 kms.

But the service advisor said that since they fill synthetic oil in the manza elan from factory, its not required to change the oil for 20000 kms or a year, whichever is earlier.

So id like to ask this, firstly, want to confirm whether the manza (Diesel) comes filled with synthetic oil. Secondly, should the oil & oil filter be changed or be left alone?

Last edited by Xehaust : 8th April 2011 at 15:59.
Old 8th April 2011, 16:27   #2961
Senior - BHPian

^^
The manual that came with the car is the best reference for this. Adhere to whatever it says.
Old 8th April 2011, 18:34   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 in my swift petrol for the past one year. It is time to chnage the oil now. Should I stick to Shell or change to Mobil1 0W40? The car has clocked 28k km and is into its 6th year now.
You may consider switching over to Castrol Edge (Synthetic, 05w40) oil. I am using it in my 6 year old Indigo (Petrol-MPFI) car for now over a year and is very much satisfied with it. It is slightly cheaper and easier to obtain too, compared to Mobil1.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 8th April 2011, 20:24   #2963
Distinguished - BHPian

More and more aam aadmi Jap, European and Indian cars are being rolled out with factory filled synthetic..not just the exotics and luxury marques.

Which essentially debunks the theory that you don't need to run x thousand KMs before using synthetic.

Cheers!
Old 8th April 2011, 22:42   #2964
BHPian

Folks - Can i change my 73k KM run Fiesta Diesel engine oil to synthetic? Is this advisable?
I should have done it before.

Regards,
Bala

Last edited by sbala : 8th April 2011 at 22:49.
Old 9th April 2011, 01:30   #2965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xehaust
But the service advisor said that since they fill synthetic oil in the manza elan from factory, its not required to change the oil for 20000 kms or a year, whichever is earlier.
Thats utter crap.
If you change oil every 20,000kms for a car that does city cycles, in dusty indian conditions, then I would pray for the engine even if it was built by Honda.
Like mentioned earlier, follow the owner's manual like its the gospel truth.
Old 9th April 2011, 08:13   #2966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey guys. Just thought id take some feedback from everyone. Got a Tata Manza Elan in the family recently & it just came back from its 1st service. Now, after reading quite a few threads on BHP, ive made it customary to get the engine oil & oil filter changed on a new car after it completes its first 1000 kms.

So id like to ask this, firstly, want to confirm whether the manza (Diesel) comes filled with synthetic oil. Secondly, should the oil & oil filter be changed or be left alone?
It seems that your service advisor is correct and Manza indeed comes with synthetic oil from the factory and they refill it with synthetic during service. Please see the following post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2172750

Change the oil filter too, its only once in 20000kilometers isn't it?
Old 11th April 2011, 09:26   #2967
BANNED

Quote:
Hey guys. Now, after reading quite a few threads on BHP, ive made it customary to get the engine oil & oil filter changed on a new car after it completes its first 1000 kms.
Was the practice once upon a time. <modern engines do not need it.

Biggest joke used to be, they may drive the Amby/Fiat for 1000/1400km to deliver it to you .Then insist on an oil change at 500km! What stupidity.

Quote:
Most likely to be correct. remember 20,000/ once a year.
Old 11th April 2011, 18:53   #2968
BHPian

Alright, thanks for the help everyone. Know the oil change intervals & so on (once a year atleast) but could someone clarify how newer engines dont require the oil change during running in?

I always thought, regardless of old or new engines, the running in period causes some wear & tear as the seals & so forth "set in" during this period causing the metal shavings to mix with the oil & hence we should change the oil & oil filter after the first 1000 kms or so to prevent these shavings from causing any harm to the engine.

So firstly, why dont newer engines require it (as they are after all, still the same old combustion engine platform) & also, how does synthetic prevent these shavings from harming the engine???
Old 12th April 2011, 09:54   #2969
BANNED

Quote:
..... but could someone clarify how newer engines dont require the oil change during running in?.....
The materials which go into the newer engines are much superior to what was used earlier, and also the manufacturing tolerances are much finer. So the amount of wear and tear in the initial period is far lower. Also, modern oils (and filters) are much better. Remember the old Ambys and FIATS used to come with bypass type filters and not full flow filters till at least the mid-70's.

To give an example of manufacturing tolerances, when Datsun (as Nissan was known then) in the early-mid 1970s some detailers opened up the engine. They found that it was so well made that they could hardly do anything. Normally, detailing got a 10-15% power increase for rallying purposes. That was all you could do in Group N (stock).
Old 12th April 2011, 11:37   #2970
BHPian

@Xehaust: I also own a Manza and I have been advised by a couple of SA' in Chennai as well as MyTVS owner (which is also a Tata authorized service outlet) as well that though oil change interval for Manza is 20K or 1 year, they would recommenend oil change at 10k or worst 15k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks