Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 23:18   #2791
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quite frankly. Just look at the higher end of the grade specified for (unrestricted) ambient. Then get any decent oil with this higher rating. The lower lower point (a in aWb) is not that critical. You can search for my post(s) on this forum (incl. this thread) for a full explanation.
Thanks for the reply sir...So according to the owners manual, the engine oil table provided is as under.

It says that temperature range for SAE Viscosity numbers are as follows,

1. For -5deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 20W50
2. For -15deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 15W40
3. For -20deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 10W30
4. For -30deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 05W20 or 05W30.

Now from the above info what i gather is unrestricted ambient as per above would be point nos.4 which recommends 05W20 or 05W30, am i right?

Last edited by prince85 : 27th December 2010 at 23:20.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:28   #2792
BANNED

Then I am surprised by the specs and that your are getting a rough engine. Even Honda recommends SAE30 or 40 for India as against 20 for the US! Thus I am advised on 0/5W30/40 for my Civic.

I will say stick with No.1 (Castrol GTX is one), or 2 (Magnatec will be SAE10W40 which is safe, avoid the new 5W30!).
Old 28th December 2010, 10:53   #2793
BHPian

Hi All,

After driving for about 1000 Kms i have switched from 5W30 Magnatec to Shell 20W40 Maruti Genuine Oil.

The feel of the engine in 4th gear under load was terrifying with 5W30. But the brighter side is that the 5W30 was kind of darkish even in this short usage so i guess it acted as an expensive engine flush.

Shell 20W40 MGO is rated SF & drain interval is mentioned as 10K kms. Price Rs 612/- on can. But got it for 570/-

Now everything is back to normal. The Oil contains the engine clatter very smoothly. I would say it is as good as Magnatec 10W40 although it is cheaper.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:23   #2794
BANNED

I would have preferred a better grade API-SJ/L/M. API-SF is an obsolete grade, but you should be Ok with it. It is the lowest grade which allowed 12 months/10,000km
Old 28th December 2010, 11:45   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Could somebody let me know a dealer in Gurgaon/Delhi from where I could buy Castrol 10W40 semi-synthetic with an API-SM rating
You are probably looking for Castrol Magnatec

You can search for authorized Castrol pitshops.

I personally bought it from Batra EoK

It should be widely available at almost any spares shop.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:52   #2796
BHPian

Quote:
Then I am surprised by the specs and that your are getting a rough engine.
Din't get you on that one sir.

Quote:
I will say stick with No.1 (Castrol GTX is one), or 2 (Magnatec will be SAE10W40 which is safe, avoid the new 5W30!).
Even i was thinking of going in for magnatec 10W40. How about shell helix ultra 05W40?

Also wanted to know (due to my driver's mistake) about the current Shell HX3 API-SG 20W50 oil that is in use in my car for like one month/500kms now. hope i have not drastically ruined my engine..

Plz advise.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:05   #2797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Din't get you on that one sir.
The specs seem to be allowing SAE30 but still he is getting a rough engine. This is a contradiction! I always thought that SAE40 was required.

Quote:
Even i was thinking of going in for magnatec 10W40. How about shell helix ultra 05W40?

Also wanted to know (due to my driver's mistake) about the current Shell HX3 API-SG 20W50 oil that is in use in my car for like one month/500kms now. hope i have not drastically ruined my engine.
Lose no sleep over Shell SAE20W50 SG oil. It is more than Ok for most cars, and you can use it for 12 months/10000km. Only exotica or high revving engines like Jazz/City/Civic may not be totally happy with the oil. You can switch to 5/10W40 next time round. Take the case in point - I am quite happy with Magnatec in my Santro but have gone Synth Mobil1 0W40 in my Civic. Should explain the picture. I would not have changed to synth in the Civic and would have preferred another six months with semi-synth. The car came filled with Synth so I just stuck with it. I will stick with Magnatec type of oil and save a decent amount of money.

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th December 2010 at 16:06.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:11   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Guys, has anybody tried Eneos engine oils? They are a product of Nippon oil corporation (Japan) & are marketed here in India by the Tide water company (Veedol). I have a few cans lying around but never really got a chance to use them.
Hi, i used the Veedol 'Blue blood' brand (dont know if its manufactured by Eneos) for my car around a fortnight ago. Its the first time its been fed with synthetic oil. The difference in engine vibrations and overall running is positive. The car definitely runs smoother now! Hope this helps.

Cheers!
S
Old 28th December 2010, 18:42   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
The specs seem to be allowing SAE30 but still he is getting a rough engine. This is a contradiction! I always thought that SAE40 was required.
Never complained of a rough engine sir.

Infact regarding SAE30, below the engine oil viscosity chart (which i had posted in post#2791 in this thread), there is a note that says "For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 05W20, 05W30 (API SJ, SL/ ILSAC GF-3). However, if the engine oil is not avalable in your country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart"

I am confused

Quote:
Lose no sleep over Shell SAE20W50 SG oil. It is more than Ok for most cars, and you can use it for 12 months/10000km. Only exotica or high revving engines like Jazz/City/Civic may not be totally happy with the oil. You can switch to 5/10W40 next time round. Take the case in point - I am quite happy with Magnatec in my Santro but have gone Synth Mobil1 0W40 in my Civic. Should explain the picture. I would not have changed to synth in the Civic and would have preferred another six months with semi-synth. The car came filled with Synth so I just stuck with it. I will stick with Magnatec type of oil and save a decent amount of money.
thank you sir, i'll most prolly go in for castrol magnatec 10W40 during my next oil change. But could you plz shed some light on my above mentioned doubts

Thanx

Last edited by prince85 : 28th December 2010 at 18:46.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:54   #2800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi, i used the Veedol 'Blue blood' brand (dont know if its manufactured by Eneos) for my car around a fortnight ago. Its the first time its been fed with synthetic oil. The difference in engine vibrations and overall running is positive. The car definitely runs smoother now! Hope this helps.

Cheers!
S
Hey mate,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I might be wrong, but I suppose that the Eneos brand is marketed by the name of Eneos only & they only carry a label of SAE ratings etc to differentiate between products, & so I feel that Blue blood might just be a product from Veedol's stable. I will check it up with the dealer here & I guess, I will go ahead with the Eneos thing & see how it works.

Drive safe.
Old 29th December 2010, 09:45   #2801
BANNED

@Prince85: Sorry for the mixup. This of SAE30/40/50 discussion was started by Skykine GTR for his M800, so I did not check the name of the person posting and assumed it was him. What car are you quoting the info for?

Yes, it is true a lighter oil will save some fuel due to its lower viscosity/resistance. However, I will be surprised whether the saving will be even 1%. I am conservative in this matter. Even in my Civic I have for for Mobil1 0W40 though I could have gone for the Honda (i.e. Idemitsu) 0w\W30 at under Rs.900 per litre and save some money. Once the car is run in better in 12 months time I may go for the SAE30 oil. I am not too keen on SAE20 but once the engine is run in you should be OK with SAE30.

Let us accept that Honda engines are one of the better ones, and in India they are not recommending SAE20 as they do in the US! But then Honda rea a conservative lot.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:18   #2802
Senior - BHPian

I am typing this from MSM as my car is undergoing general check-up and service. I am not changing oil now (only 2000 KM done since last service) but they are now offering Mobil 0W/40 synthetic oil. Costs ~ Rs 4500 for 4 litres. They said 3 litres will be poured in to the engine and balance will have to be carried away by me!
Old 29th December 2010, 12:24   #2803
Senior - BHPian

I did go for Motul X8100 after reading that it's one of the few actual fully synth oils. But I am yet to see the difference.

Can I go for their top of the line V series performance oils? Any benefits? Also various articles say that this oil needs to be replaced every 8-10K. what is true?
Old 29th December 2010, 13:51   #2804
BHPian

Quote:
@Prince85: Sorry for the mixup. This of SAE30/40/50 discussion was started by Skykine GTR for his M800, so I did not check the name of the person posting and assumed it was him. What car are you quoting the info for?
No problem sir, soo we are back to square one again. The car in question is a 2009 Hyunda i10 Kappa 1.2.

And according to the owners manual, the engine oil table provided is as under.

1. For -5deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 20W50
2. For -15deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 15W40
3. For -20deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 10W30
4. For -30deg (C) to 50deg (C) - 05W20 or 05W30.

Infact regarding SAE30, below the engine oil viscosity chart, there is a note that says "For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 05W20, 05W30 (API SJ, SL/ ILSAC GF-3). However, if the engine oil is not avalable in your country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart".

Soo with the above n mind, which grade of oil would be recommended for a place like mumbai?

Also i am keeping my options open with regard to semi-synthetic/synthetic route as well. Please suggest a brand and grade which will be best suitable in my case.

Lastly, now that the car in queston is an i10 Kappa and not (skyline GTR's M800), please shed some light on the fact that my car is currently running on Shell HX3 API-SG 20W50 oil that is in use in my car for like one month/500kms now. hope i have not drastically ruined my engine..

plz advise!
Old 29th December 2010, 14:38   #2805
BANNED

Quote:
Infact regarding SAE30, below the engine oil viscosity chart, there is a note that says "For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 05W20, 05W30 (API SJ, SL/ ILSAC GF-3). However, if the engine oil is not avalable in your country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart".
Considering it is a modern engine (Kappa 1.2) and the manual a 'global' one I think SAE30 will be quite fine. I will avoid the SAE20. My Santro requires SAE40 being the older 1.1 engine from Hyundai. As you are in Mumbai with moderate temperatures I will not even bother about 0/5/10/15W.

The API ratings only specify API-SJ, SL and SM as current. You may even be able to find SM in 'pure mineral' oils. My previous three cars have all been on whatever was the best value for money (semi or high end mineral). I worked with a once a year/10,000km schedule once the warranty was over, and have never regretted it. For example my Accent (which predated the Civic & Santro) was at various times fed GTX2, GTX, Magnatec and once Petronas Mach 5 (then a mineral API-SM, now SG with a price reduction). Hope this helps. We can carry on on PM for specific points.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks