Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2012, 01:15   #3571
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Not just new cars. Mine is a 2009 Alto and for that also the drain interval is one year / 10k km
My Alto 2007 also has a 12month/ 10000KM oil change shedule specified in the manual and followed by me. So its not a new development.
I also know that Linea diesel has a 15k KM oil change interval.(not sure about the time limit)

PS: my alto's service is coming up, it needs 2.8L of oil. i got a 3L quartz 5000 15W40 for it. i also have half a litre of Total Quartz 7000 10W40 remaining. So can i put half litre of 10W40 and 2.3 L of 15W40 ?
Old 4th August 2012, 13:41   #3572
Senior - BHPian

^^Why? Just use the full 3 litre pack for the oil change. If you wait long enough for the old oil to drain out and the oil filter is also changed, a full 3 lite pack will result in only a slight overfill above the upper mark in the dip stick, which will be fine. Never mix different grades of oil.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:23   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Why? Just use the full 3 litre pack for the oil change. If you wait long enough for the old oil to drain out and the oil filter is also changed, a full 3 lite pack will result in only a slight overfill above the upper mark in the dip stick, which will be fine. Never mix different grades of oil.
thanks gansan,
i will change the filter too but ive read that one should not overfill, it can be just as bad as underfilling. So will fill 2.8L and keep the rest, will top up in a day or two if the level is below the upper mark.

I was only thinking of mixing so ill only have to store one container instead of two. I read a post here (i think by sgiitk) that all oils after API SG can be mixed. But if its not advised then no major hassles, ill use only 15W40 and keep the small quantities of both with me.
Old 17th August 2012, 09:10   #3574
BANNED

Well folks. As long as the oil level is between the high and low marks (preferably nearer the high) I will leave it at that and not bother about topping off.
Old 17th August 2012, 10:13   #3575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
thanks gansan,
i will change the filter too but ive read that one should not overfill, it can be just as bad as underfilling. So will fill 2.8L and keep the rest, will top up in a day or two if the level is below the upper mark.
Trust me, a slight over fill of a couple of mm does not matter. That is how I change the oil for my Alto for the past three years, with absolutely no issues. If you fill exactly 2.8 litres, it will actually show a little below the upper mark in the dip stick, which is also fine. Because the new filter will take in about 200 ml of oil!

The level showing slightly below or above the upper mark does not matter. It matters only when it is way above the upper or dangerously close to the lower marks.

Different brand oils of same grade / viscosity can be mixed in an emergency top-up. For instance any two API SL, 20W40 oils. But why do it deliberately?
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 20:38   #3576
BHPian

Hi All

My car ( Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI- 11 months old ) is approaching 19k & is due for 3rd service. This time I wish to go for synthetic oil to see if it helps in any manner. Engine oil specification as per manual is " API service CH-4, ACEA B4 ( without DPF), ACEA C3 ( with DPF ) or above. Which synthetic oil should I go for which should meet the above specifications. Service station has their own stock, but no synthetic oil is available with them. Again will there be a warranty issue if I go for oil from purchased from outside stores.

Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 23:41   #3577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi All

My car ( Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI- 11 months old ) is approaching 19k & is due for 3rd service. This time I wish to go for synthetic oil to see if it helps in any manner. Engine oil specification as per manual is " API service CH-4, ACEA B4 ( without DPF), ACEA C3 ( with DPF ) or above. Which synthetic oil should I go for which should meet the above specifications. Service station has their own stock, but no synthetic oil is available with them. Again will there be a warranty issue if I go for oil from purchased from outside stores.

Thanks
Mobil Delvac 1. But, I'm not sure it's available freely in the market.
Old 26th August 2012, 00:05   #3578
BHPian

My Nano had the 10,000kms service and changed to Mobil1 synthetic oil 0w-40. earlier the car would not drive below 50kmph speeds in 4th gear(without lugging). now the same nano putters around town in 40kmph speeds - is this a good effect ?

also for the same throttle position - earlier the nano would cruise @ 80kmph speeds. now for the same throttle position, it reaches 90kmph - can this be expected ?

the engine feels butter smooth and less noisy, but i also feel the engine revving smoothly and quickly to the redline in half throttle in each gear. earlier it need to be pedal to the metal - big day and night difference for such a small engine.
Old 26th August 2012, 00:41   #3579
Senior - BHPian

It's great to know that you are feeling the benefits out of using the Mobil 1 0W40, however, I am using it in Maruti's K12M motor & somehow just find the motor running a lot rougher. While it's cold, it's alright but as soon as the temperatures build up, the oil feels like it's not even there.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
My Nano had the 10,000kms service and changed to Mobil1 synthetic oil 0w-40. earlier the car would not drive below 50kmph speeds in 4th gear(without lugging). now the same nano putters around town in 40kmph speeds - is this a good effect ?

also for the same throttle position - earlier the nano would cruise @ 80kmph speeds. now for the same throttle position, it reaches 90kmph - can this be expected ?

the engine feels butter smooth and less noisy, but i also feel the engine revving smoothly and quickly to the redline in half throttle in each gear. earlier it need to be pedal to the metal - big day and night difference for such a small engine.
Old 26th August 2012, 02:31   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Well folks. As long as the oil level is between the high and low marks (preferably nearer the high) I will leave it at that and not bother about topping off.
There are a couple of issues worth considering before we believe that any level between the min and max are fine. One is that lower volume of oil in the engine means lower heat transfer and hence higher temperatures (as oil also acts as HT agent in IC engines). In a liquid cooled engine, it may not matter much, but in an air cooled engine, it would matter. Even in liquid cooled engines, it may mean somewhat more work for the cooling system.

Another issue is that lower volume of oil means less detergency, lesser amount of other additives. So in short, if you going to utilize the oil for say 10,000 km or so, you could possibly be protecting the engine more and keeping it cleaner with the oil close to the upper mark rather than the lower; as quite simply lesser oil will be doing the required "work" when its closer to the min. level.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:46   #3581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post

Are you sure that this improvement in performance is due to the oil change only and not due to overall servicing procedures?

As per my experience, I had observed characteristics very similar to what you have mentioned above, when I changed the oil from mineral to synth in my Alto, but I had also performed engine decarb and throttle body cleaning at the same time. I believe that the improvements in performance which I had observed were due to these procedures.
Old 27th August 2012, 07:30   #3582
BHPian

yes, the airfilter and engine flush also had been done with the 10k oil service. apart from that, nothing extra done. yes, can feel the differences after changing to synthetic oil, sure on this aspect.

mileage or performance difference is quiet noticeable, but needs to be monitored over the next 10k kms. also my dealer says tata recommends 15k for oil change and i can safely go till 20k, with a topup/check @ 10k interval.
Old 27th August 2012, 16:23   #3583
BHPian

It's great to know that you are feeling the benefits out of using the Mobil 1 0W40, however, I am using it in Maruti's K12M motor & somehow just find the motor running a lot rougher. While it's cold, it's alright but as soon as the temperatures build up, the oil feels like it's not even there.

Drive safe.

^^^^ I am facing the same problems with my sx4.
Manual recommends 5W30. First i used 5W50 MOBIL1 then bought SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5w40 and still using the same. For my next oil change i will go with castrol magnatec 5w30 since all other options are mineral .There is no synthetic available in 5W30 or is it ?

Last edited by M124 : 27th August 2012 at 16:25.
Old 27th August 2012, 16:40   #3584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
For my next oil change i will go with castrol magnatec 5w30 since all other options are mineral .There is no synthetic available in 5W30 or is it ?
I dont think Magnatec is available in the 5W30 grade. For 5W30 you could use Castrol GTX for modern cars or Shell HX5-AZ. As far as I know 5w30 is not a synthetic grade.
Old 27th August 2012, 17:48   #3585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
I dont think Magnatec is available in the 5W30 grade. For 5W30 you could use Castrol GTX for modern cars or Shell HX5-AZ. As far as I know 5w30 is not a synthetic grade.
I have personally seen both gtx and mangatec in 5W30 grade cans. Also listed on castrol website. Even TOTAL is available in 5w30. magnatec 5w30 cost is 1600rs. for 4 litres.
M124 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks