Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 02:47   #136
BHPian

Id say downsize if the dealer agrees. This should mostly solve the problem as you have already mentioned that the wheel arch has been tapped flat. im sure the tyre downsize will be fine.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

I know a Tbhpian who got a wrong offset alloys for his Santro with stock tyres and the wheels started touching everywhere.
Old 17th April 2008, 16:00   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Suzuki San!
Do you see the error of your / your dealer's ways in what you have posted?
When you increase the width of the tyre, the profile height is supposed to go DOWN in order to keep the overall diameter the same.
In this case the tread width has been increased and so has the profile height!
Use any of the tyre size calculators here and you will see that your new tyre's overall diameter is almost 2" larger than the stock tyres. This (8+% variation) is way more than the acceptable 2-4% variation in size.

Chances are your tyre guy chose this size since :
1. He didnt know better (i hope not)
2. The correct upsize (165/55 (or 165/50)) was not available in the tyres you wanted, or he didnt have it in stock.
3. You really stressed that you wanted a more comfortable ride so he thought he would give you some more sidewall.

It is, in theory, his fault - as he is supposed to do the math and not you. You did make it clear that it shouldnt touch, (and he said it wouldnt?).

You should definitely try to get him to change it - paying a SMALL amount might be acceptable too (for labour + 800km use).
Dont listen to him if he says this is caused because your suspension must be old and saggy (unless it is).

Goodluck.

Thanks guys. Appreciated.

cya
R
Hi Guys,

Got the Michelin tyres changed today to 155 x 65 on the same alloy rims.

As I had done 1000 Kms the guy charged me an additional Rs. 2400 for 4 new tyres. Does this seem fair? I haven't paid him the whole amount yet.
I also had to pay for balancing and weights.

I took 3 mechanics in the back seat and and went for a short drive. The tyres did not seem to be touching any part of the body. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

May I suggest that you put a note in your tyre guide about this problem that I faced so that other guys upsizing their tyres on a Wagon R will not face the same problem.

Regards,
Suzuki San
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2008, 16:31   #139
BHPian

That seems unfair in my opinion. He is charging you for his fault (Being a tyre dealer and having no knowledge about it!!!). Furthermore, balancing should be free. Dont know much about the weights, others can help you here.

Anyway, pay him a little if he insists but try to reduce the overall cost including the balancing and weights.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:32   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
That seems unfair in my opinion. He is charging you for his fault (Being a tyre dealer and having no knowledge about it!!!). Furthermore, balancing should be free. Dont know much about the weights, others can help you here.

Anyway, pay him a little if he insists but try to reduce the overall cost including the balancing and weights.
Hi Xehaust,

Yeah! I know it's unfair.
However, his argument is that if I had come back within the first 100-150 kms he would have done it for free but after 1000 kms, he can only sell them as second hand tyres. I can see his point though it does not help my wallet!!!

The problem is that when the car was loaded - which is when the tyres started touching - I had already crossed 700 kms.

The balancing was free but the weights cost a lot - sticker type on the inside of the alloys - supposedly imported. Once used, throw away. Nothing I could do about that!!!

Anyway, main point here is to learn from this (my) costly lesson. If possible, please put a note on the tyre chart (the one made by KpZen and Rehaan - I think) stating this problem.

Thanks all for the help.

Suzuki San
Old 18th April 2008, 19:08   #141
Senior - BHPian

Hello All
I'm getting my Swift VDI delivered shortly and when following is what i have decided on.
Upsize - 185/70/R14
Tyre Brand - Yokohama A300/Michelin Energy XM1
Now, can you enlighten me more on the difference between going in for Yoko and Michelin. Following are the prices that im quoted in chennai, Yoko - 2850 Rs/Tyre and Michelin - 3550 Rs/Tyre. Are these prices reasonable and what would you suggest makes a good buy? Since the price difference is almost 600 Rs per tyre im inclined to go for Yoko than Michelins. My priority would be minimum road noise and good ride comfort. Im more a sedate driver. Looking for suggestions/advise from you all.

Also OT - How is the brand "Advanti" for alloys. Im getting a good deal (set of 5 for 16000 Rs), but couldnt find much information on the alloys section on this brand.
Old 21st April 2008, 09:54   #142
Senior - BHPian

I did buy Michelin XM1+ 175/70 13 for Rs. 11000 (4 tyres) last month.
Old 21st April 2008, 13:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Im more a sedate driver. Looking for suggestions/advise from you all.
Bala,

If you are a sedate driver you do not need a tyre upgrade. existing tyre will work just fine (I am on stock tyres and I do not call myself sedate but have never faced a critical situation for last 20K KMs). If you do go for an upgrade both Yoko and XM1+ are great. Michelin is better in terms of durability.
Old 23rd April 2008, 00:06   #144
BHPian

hello all
i have an i10 magna
the stock tyre size is 155 80 r13 tubless.
CAn the gurus offer me advice about upsizing, though im not willing to sacrifice too much of the FE since im mostly a city driver.
I dont drive too fast,nor do i corner too hard. i just want my car to be expressway stable at speed upto 120

Most importantly
can [FONT=Arial]165/75-13[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]or[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]175/70-13[/FONT]
fit onto the same stock rim
what would be advisable in my case
please help
Old 23rd April 2008, 00:30   #145
Senior - BHPian

Magma

Get 155/80-13 michelin XM1
Old 23rd April 2008, 07:34   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
hello all
i have an i10 magna
the stock tyre size is 155 80 r13 tubless.
CAn the gurus offer me advice about upsizing, though im not willing to sacrifice too much of the FE since im mostly a city driver.
I dont drive too fast,nor do i corner too hard. i just want my car to be expressway stable at speed upto 120

Most importantly can 165/75-13 or 175/70-13 fit onto the same stock rim what would be advisable in my case please help
Hi,

165/75-13 would be a good upsize. This can go into your stock rim. But no tyres from Michelin for this size. 175/70-13 is the next best upsize and you can go for Michelin XM1 on stock rim.

If you want to go for Michelin XM1+ (much better than XM1) you could do a plus one upsizing to 185/60-14. You could think of changing your stock rims to alloys in this case.

Both shall suit your requirements I feel.

Nirmal
Old 7th May 2008, 07:32   #147
BHPian

Hi,
Id like some feedback regarding a tyre change.

The front left tyre was damaged due to scraping on a road under construction.
The tyre is a Dunlop in the size 205/55 R16. Now the question is, since only one tyre has been damaged, is it advisable to change only that one tyre or two tyres?

I cant use the spare as the spare is the OEM size (15 inch) so was wondering whether to buy 2 new tyres or buying just one is fine?

Also, the tyres being used are Dunlop so i was also wondering whether i should buy Dunlop tyres only (which might be a little expensive i guess) or buy Michelin.
And if i buy Michelin, should i buy two or just one? (im thinking two to keep the same amount of traction on the same axle)

Irrespective of buying 1 or 2 new tyres, the new tyre/s will be mounted on the rear.

Last edited by Xehaust : 7th May 2008 at 07:35.
Old 7th May 2008, 08:18   #148
Team-BHP Support

If you buy one, you may as well buy the same tyre. If you buy two, you may as well "upgrade" to michelin.

Whether you buy one or two would depend on - how many km your current tyres have run. Something which i dont think you have mentioned in your post.

cya
R
Old 7th May 2008, 10:43   #149
BHPian

I think they must have run between 5-10 K kms max. If it would help, i could post a picture of the tread.
Old 7th May 2008, 14:50   #150
Senior - BHPian

If it's only 5-10k kms max then buy one Dunlop. If you can't find that then whatever other brand you buy, you need to buy two. Two different tyres on the same axle are not a good idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks