Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2009, 23:27   #211

Hi,

I bought A set of Yokohama A drives. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Goodyear GT3 was a good tyre indeed. Let's hope Yokohamas are better. But i think Michelins are best and if i had to splurge i should have gone for Michelin Primacy LC or Energy XM+. The reason is yokohama is bit cheaper than michelins. About 20%. But it got the same rating as goodyears in the JD power Awards which are a truthful indacator of all products and services over the world. (PS. I am sad i didn't check it earlier) PLUS YOKOHAMA doesn't exist even in the comparison for LUXURY cars awarded to MICHELIN, PERFORMANCE TYRES - AWARDED TO GOODYEAR next is michelin, AND PASSENGER CARS awarded to MICHELIN, TRUCK TYRE AWARDED THE best to MICHELIN then PIRELLI. PIRELLI STANDS very close to MICHELIN all the times and goodyear is next in line along with BRIDGESTONE. BUT YOKOS have dissappointed me in the awards. Let's hope they don't on the car.

IN CASE YOU WANNA SEE THE LINK Ratings | J.D. Power

NOTE- JK confirms to have won the award but its nowhere to be found on in the contenders.
Old 16th August 2009, 10:32   #212
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan, extremely insightful reading.

However, for all our tyre gurus helo me out with this one:

I find that the exact same size tyres from different manufacturers, give a softer or harder ride, as the case may be. For eg: Good Year NCTs/Eagle F1s give a much harder ride than say the Michelins. I figure this has to do with the rubber compound and the construction, right?

So if I need the softest smoothest ride, how do I decide which manufacturer to go in for? Tyre size being 225/55/16.

If this has been addressed in another post, I apologize, kindly redirect me. How about a poll regards the various attributes of tyres ... performance, durability, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mohnish : 16th August 2009 at 10:35.
Old 16th August 2009, 16:39   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
So if I need the softest smoothest ride, how do I decide which manufacturer to go in for? Tyre size being 225/55/16.
To get the softest smoothest ride go for the performance tyres with soft compounds. But the downside of the same is it wears out too quickly and you might have to replace the tyres with the new set every 15-20 k kms.
Old 16th August 2009, 18:59   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Thanks Rehaan, extremely insightful reading.

However, for all our tyre gurus helo me out with this one:

I find that the exact same size tyres from different manufacturers, give a softer or harder ride, as the case may be. For eg: Good Year NCTs/Eagle F1s give a much harder ride than say the Michelins. I figure this has to do with the rubber compound and the construction, right?

If this has been addressed in another post, I apologize, kindly redirect me. How about a poll regards the various attributes of tyres ... performance, durability, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Soft/hard ride comes largely from the sidewall's firmness or lack of it. If the sidewall flexes (deforms) more, the ride will be softer and if the sidewall is firm, the ride will be harsher.

The tread compound determines the level of grip or traction, performance tyres with soft grippy compounds are often combined with a stiff sidewall to give better handling around corners.

For a softer smoother ride go with Michelin MXV8 or XM+ or XM or Primacy LC. Several TBHPians have given excellent reviews of them.

Cheers,
Old 16th August 2009, 20:31   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
To get the softest smoothest ride go for the performance tyres with soft compounds...
Thanks, but how does one determine which is 'softer' between brands? Is there some sort of rating, or does simply go by opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Soft/hard ride comes largely from the sidewall's firmness or lack of it. If the sidewall flexes (deforms) more, the ride will be softer and if the sidewall is firm, the ride will be harsher.
...a stiff sidewall to give better handling around corners.
Yep, that part I am aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
For a softer smoother ride go with Michelin MXV8 or XM+ or XM or Primacy LC. Several TBHPians have given excellent reviews of them.
Thanks, thats a place to start. So basically, stay with the Michelin range...expensive!
Old 26th August 2009, 17:42   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNarula View Post
I bought A set of Yokohama A drives. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Goodyear GT3 was a good tyre indeed. Let's hope Yokohamas are better. But i think Michelins are best and if i had to splurge i should have gone for Michelin Primacy LC or Energy XM+. The reason is yokohama is bit cheaper than michelins. About 20%. But it got the same rating as goodyears in the JD power Awards which are a truthful indacator of all products and services over the world. (PS. I am sad i didn't check it earlier) PLUS YOKOHAMA doesn't exist even in the comparison for LUXURY cars awarded to MICHELIN, PERFORMANCE TYRES - AWARDED TO GOODYEAR next is michelin, AND PASSENGER CARS awarded to MICHELIN, TRUCK TYRE AWARDED THE best to MICHELIN then PIRELLI. PIRELLI STANDS very close to MICHELIN all the times and goodyear is next in line along with BRIDGESTONE. BUT YOKOS have dissappointed me in the awards. Let's hope they don't on the car.

IN CASE YOU WANNA SEE THE LINK Ratings | J.D. Power

NOTE- JK confirms to have won the award but its nowhere to be found on in the contenders.
Thanks for the link to JD Power.
I had been trying to evaluate the Pirelli Aquamile p400 tyres in my Honda CityZX, for a long time.
Nowhere I could find any detailed comments about Pirelli till date. Was upset about the whole thing, especially after being forced to change all 4 tyres in a week's time, due to the unknown damages identified in Good Year tyres at 25000 kms only.
I paid 12500 total for 4 Pirelli tyres... Is that a good deal?
Experts please comment

TG
Old 30th August 2009, 21:32   #217
KK396

Yokos

I have used Yoko A-drives on my OHC. Found them to be better than MIchelin XM1's. Got better grip and less road noise.

Old 31st August 2009, 18:30   #218
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, but how does one determine which is 'softer' between brands? Is there some sort of rating, or does simply go by opinions?
Go for the "comfort" range of the big tyre brands. To know which, just search
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:02   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hyroplaning I think..
The contact area of a thin tyre with the road is a canoe-shaped patch that effectively can squeeze water out of the way.
i guess thats why ice tyres on WRC cars are so thin as well. If it can do it's job well, why increse rolling resistance???

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
In wet conditions wider tyre helps or a thinner one ?
Thats agr8 question.. i thought that a wider tyre was better but then it has to move more volume of water for proper contact but a thinner one has to move less volume so if it could do so faster than a fatter tyre that should be better ......Right??? we'll wait for an ans.

Mod's Note: Please do not make back to back posts. Use the Multiquote button to respond to multiple posts at one go. If the content is already posted then use the Edit button in the 1st 20 mins of posting.

Posts merged.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:38   #220
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Folks, just a point to ponder.

Your cars contact patch is equal to about four Size 8 shoes. It had to do everything on this small contact area. Also, while none of will even dream of using the same footwear for everything, but expect our tyres to cope with whatever we may throw at them.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:27   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK396 View Post
I have used Yoko A-drives on my OHC. Found them to be better than MIchelin XM1's. Got better grip and less road noise.
A drives have lesser tire width than michelin or other brands. A 195mm a drive is few mm thinner. As for comfort, go for mxv8
Old 3rd October 2009, 00:59   #222
alphamike

hi, just needed some advice picking up a new set of 4 tyres for my elantra. it runs the apolo amazer sports 205*55*R16 against the stock 195*65*R15. I find Michelin primacy LC 205 *55*R16 the best @ ~ 7k per tyre. any better suggestions for the same cost or same quality tyre at better price??
cheers

Old 10th October 2009, 18:00   #223
BHPian

Hi ALPHA!!
If u have not already purchased the tyres check out bridgestone potenza G3. I was hunting for a good set of replacements for my swift and i have identified Ashok tyres in Bangalore who quoted the lowest for the B'stones( he is a wholesaler apparently).The guys name is nitin and his no is 9844386378. If u are in bangalore u can call and check
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike View Post
hi, just needed some advice picking up a new set of 4 tyres for my elantra. it runs the apolo amazer sports 205*55*R16 against the stock 195*65*R15. I find Michelin primacy LC 205 *55*R16 the best @ ~ 7k per tyre. any better suggestions for the same cost or same quality tyre at better price??
cheers
Old 13th October 2009, 11:57   #224
BHPian

My one year old Maruti 800 AC running on a stock Tyres and done 13000 Kms.I was going through this thread and was quite impressed with the tubeless tyre technology and wanted to go for it for my car.My concerns as follows.

1.Do I need to change to alloy wheel for M800 to make use of full advantage of tubeless tyres?

2.Can use the same stock tyre as a Tubeless one ?

3.Can i know which brand of tubeless will be good ?

waiting for your valuable suggestions and advice.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:53   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Do I need to change to alloy wheel for M800 to make use of full advantage of tubeless tyres?
Tubeless tyres can be used with the steel rims that came with your car.
Quote:
Can use the same stock tyre as a Tubeless one ?
Your existing tyres can't be used without tubes, you'll need new tyres.
Quote:
Can i know which brand of tubeless will be good ?
I've personally used goodyear GPS2, Michelin XM1+ and Ceat tubeless tyres on my 800 (I drive a LOT).

Michelin has the best grip amongst these three (and is the costliest).

Most Viewed