Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2023, 17:13   #886
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Looking to change tyres on my Honda City ZX 2019 model. It has 185/55 R16 with alloys (OEM).

Is 195/55 R16 a proper upsize (I want to go only one size up)?

For this size I checked with two dealers in Noida and got the following quotes:

Yokohama Earth1 - 8100 and 7700
Continental CC6 - 8900 and 8100

Includes: Alignment and Balancing, tyre exchange (200/-)

I also enquired about Michelin XM2+, MRF Perfinza, Yoko BlueEarth AE51 and the feedback was
- Michelin not available
- Yoko BlueEarth has less longevity than Earth1
- MRF may better be avoided

With an assumption that there might be a 1 point drop in FE with upsize, I need some help with the following

1. Is Conti UC6 a better tyre than CC6? Mostly I drive in Delhi NCR region with occasional visits from Noida to Chandigarh via EPE / NH1 (now NH44).
2. If I upsize from 185 to 195, will it impact initial pickup?
3. How much error can I expect in odometer and speedometer?
Old 5th June 2023, 19:08   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post

Is 195/55 R16 a proper upsize (I want to go only one size up)?

1. Is Conti UC6 a better tyre than CC6? Mostly I drive in Delhi NCR region with occasional visits from Noida to Chandigarh via EPE / NH1 (now NH44).
2. If I upsize from 185 to 195, will it impact initial pickup?
3. How much error can I expect in odometer and speedometer?
Have been using 195 section Michelin Primacy 4 ST tyres on my City for the past 30k Kms. Not a single puncture, rides superbly, very low tyre noise (my City is not driven on the highways, vmax is about ~100kmph that too only for short bursts) and the handling is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock setup. The tyres don’t wear out easily either. Much recommended. Try to source them through a different dealer if possible, Michelin has a list on their website.

Answering your questions-

1. UC6 tyres are ‘sport’ oriented(read soft compound) and they are pretty good, a friend has gone through 2 sets in his Innova without any major issues.

2. No, you won’t notice any changes in performance besides the increased grip levels and stability.

3. Negligible error which will be entirely ruled out anyways because cars over read their speed by some margin right from the factory.

Last edited by revsperminute : 5th June 2023 at 19:09.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 20:50   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Have been using 195 section Michelin Primacy 4 ST tyres on my City for the past 30k Kms. Not a single puncture, rides superbly, very low tyre noise (my City is not driven on the highways, vmax is about ~100kmph that too only for short bursts) and the handling is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock setup. The tyres don’t wear out easily either. Much recommended. Try to source them through a different dealer if possible, Michelin has a list on their website.

Answering your questions-

1. UC6 tyres are ‘sport’ oriented(read soft compound) and they are pretty good, a friend has gone through 2 sets in his Innova without any major issues.

2. No, you won’t notice any changes in performance besides the increased grip levels and stability.

3. Negligible error which will be entirely ruled out anyways because cars over read their speed by some margin right from the factory.
I checked with couple of more dealers around my place but none of them have michelin tyres. One of them strongly suggested Yoko Earth1 (above Conti UC6 and Yoko BlueEarth). But I saw reviews on YT where many people complained Earth1 is a very noisy tyre even when new. So, I am confused what should be my option.

Should I go with Conti UC6? How long do these tyres last. I am looking for lower noise, comfort, strength and atleast 45-50k life. Not sure if I am asking for too much

If anyone is from Noida/Gurgaon and knows where can I get michelins then I dont mind spending a few hundred bucks extra if it fulfills all my above requirement!
Old 11th June 2023, 12:11   #889
BHPian

While I am still pondering over which tyre to get and was discussing with a friend, an interesting thing he pointed out which didn't strike me earlier.

My City ZX has 185/55 tyres and I am planning to upgrade to 195/55. But what if there is some emergency and I have to use the spare tyre which is going to be one of existing tyres with 185/55 size. Will it cause any issue if I have to drive some significant distance, say 200-300 km with three 195/55 and one 185/55 sized tyre.

Can someone help know if this can cause some issue?

Also, most dealers I spoke to are pushing for earth1 over blue earth GT. Any merit in that?
Lakwontsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 08:53   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Thanks! Could you share which Pirelli and Michelin tires you're planning to go back to? Their company sites recommend Michelin Latitude Sport and Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season or ATR. I wanted to look at other options in addition to the Earth1 because I read in a few forums about noise and hardening on Earth1 tires after it ages around 3 years.
Just wanted to post an update here that I went ahead with the Earth-1. They performed as expected, though didn’t notice any remarkable improvement in noise or ride when I shifted to them from my 4.5 year old tires as usually happens.

15 months and 10k kilometres later, yesterday I saw a sidewall bulge but the dealer says warranty claims rarely work for it. He said he’ll try though.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_4843.jpeg  

Last edited by di1in : 12th June 2023 at 08:54.
Old 17th June 2023, 17:02   #891
BHPian

After thinking a lot and going through hundreds of post on this forum eventually I have decided not to change all tyres at this time (got this idea from one of the posts)

One of the Honda City tyres BS Ecopia 150 burst after 31000 km and I replaced it with the spare tyre that was never used. After having close inspection of other three tyres it seems they still have some life left. So I have decided to get one new Ecopia 150 and put it on rear along with the new spare that was put to use recently and move one of the three older tyres to spare. Hopefully sometime early next year I will replace all four tyres with Conti or Yokos and move the newly purchased tyre to spare at that time.

Tread wear indicator and overall condition of three old tyres make me believe that they can serve for some more time.

But I just want to get some views from fellow BHPians to see if this decision makes sense. Sharing a few pictures to get some inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20230617_144657701.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20230617_144453746_hdr.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20230617_144643365.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20230617_145644983.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20230617_145542042.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20230617_144827951.jpg  

Old 18th June 2023, 03:56   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
While I am still pondering over which tyre to get and was discussing with a friend, an interesting thing he pointed out which didn't strike me earlier.

My City ZX has 185/55 tyres and I am planning to upgrade to 195/55. But what if there is some emergency and I have to use the spare tyre which is going to be one of existing tyres with 185/55 size. Will it cause any issue if I have to drive some significant distance, say 200-300 km with three 195/55 and one 185/55 sized tyre.

Can someone help know if this can cause some issue?

Also, most dealers I spoke to are pushing for earth1 over blue earth GT. Any merit in that?
Ideally, you should be changing your spare tire also when you change the rest of these old tires when you're upsizing so that all the tires are of the same size.

Driving on different-sized tires at highway speeds can potentially be dangerous. It can result in loss of control under hard breaking as this can confuse your ABS (ABS measures wheel speed and different-sized tires will be rotating at different speeds).

What you can instead do is buy a puncture repair kit and tire inflator and just forget about the spare.

As for your question about Yokohama, even their own website clearly pitches BlueEarth GT as a premium tire as compared to Earth-1 which seems to be an India-specific tire. Stick to Blue Earth GT.

My recommendation will be Continental Continental UltraContact UC6 which is slightly more expensive but seems to be a better tire.

My parents in India (Shimla, HP) recently bought a Toyota Glanza (G) manual and upsized the stock tire from 195/55R16 (Apollo) to 205/55R16 Continentals on my recommendation.

On my recent trip to India, I drove the car with three passengers from Shimla to Dharamshala in pouring rain and I was really impressed by the ride quality and the ability of these tires to displace water. The car has now done 5,000 kms and my father is very happy with these tires.

Just so you know this tire comes standard on BMW X1 in Europe.

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-yoko-1.jpg
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 12:18   #893

I am using 2017 Model Maruti Suzuki WagonR VXI. I am planning to change my tyre, currently vehicle have stock tyre sized 155/65R14 Apollo Amazer 3G. Car is fitted with OEM Alloy and due to the low tyre wall height, my alloy got go many scratches.
I have some doubts regarding the tyre change, Please help me.
Need better ride quality and comfort, Better braking, Low road noise, Doesn't matter if the tyre life is bit low
1. Planning to upsize it to 165/65R14. Is it a good choice? What are the pros and cons of this upsize?
2. Will this upsize make any damages to suspension or lowerarm of the vehicle?
3.If i upsize 4 tyres to 165/65R14, can i use my spare wheel with 155/65R14 Whenever needed?
4. What's your opinions about Bridgestone Sturdo? or is there any other better option for WagonR?
5. Any WagonR users have upsized to 165/65R14 from 155/65R14 please give a user review and pros and cons you found on the upsize.
Thanks
Wagonboy7662 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 19:42   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonboy7662 View Post
I am using 2017 Model Maruti Suzuki WagonR VXI. I am planning to change my tyre, currently vehicle have stock tyre sized 155/65R14 Apollo Amazer 3G. Car is fitted with OEM Alloy and due to the low tyre wall height, my alloy got go many scratches.
I have some doubts regarding the tyre change, Please help me.
Need better ride quality and comfort, Better braking, Low road noise, Doesn't matter if the tyre life is bit low
1. Planning to upsize it to 165/65R14. Is it a good choice? What are the pros and cons of this upsize?
2. Will this upsize make any damages to suspension or lowerarm of the vehicle?
3.If i upsize 4 tyres to 165/65R14, can i use my spare wheel with 155/65R14 Whenever needed?
4. What's your opinions about Bridgestone Sturdo? or is there any other better option for WagonR?
5. Any WagonR users have upsized to 165/65R14 from 155/65R14 please give a user review and pros and cons you found on the upsize.
Thanks
Upgrading from your stock tire to 165/65R14 tire size will result in an increase of 2.3% in rolling diameter and an increase in sidewall height of 5%. This is reasonable and well within the acceptable tolerance of 3% for the rolling diameter.

My recommendation for the tire upgrade is Continental UltraContact UC6 which is only slightly more expensive than the Bridgestone Sturdo but is a much superior tire. The USP of the Bridgestone Sturdo seems to be a tire life and it uses a harder rubber compound. Incidentally, Continental UltraContact UC6 is an OEM fitment on BMW X1 in Europe.

Ride quality/comfort, better braking, and low road noise are what you mention as your priorities and Continental UltraContact UC6 fits the bill perfectly.

Last year my parents in India bought a Toyota Glanza that came with 195/55R16 Apollo Alnac 4G as a stock tire and they upgraded to 205/55R16 Continental UltraContact UC6 immediately after taking the delivery of the car. My parents live in Shimla, Himachal, and have driven the car about 6,000 kms in various conditions all over the state and are very happy with the Continentals.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 12th July 2023 at 19:45. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 20:16   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Upgrading from your stock tire to 165/65R14 tire size will result in an increase of 2.3% in rolling diameter and an increase in sidewall height of 5%. This is reasonable and well within the acceptable tolerance of 3% for the rolling diameter.

My recommendation for the tire upgrade is Continental UltraContact UC6 which is only slightly more expensive than the Bridgestone Sturdo but is a much superior tire. The USP of the Bridgestone Sturdo seems to be a tire life and it uses a harder rubber compound. Incidentally, Continental UltraContact UC6 is an OEM fitment on BMW X1 in Europe.

Ride quality/comfort, better braking, and low road noise are what you mention as your priorities and Continental UltraContact UC6 fits the bill perfectly.

Last year my parents in India bought a Toyota Glanza that came with 195/55R16 Apollo Alnac 4G as a stock tire and they upgraded to 205/55R16 Continental UltraContact UC6 immediately after taking the delivery of the car. My parents live in Shimla, Himachal, and have driven the car about 6,000 kms in various conditions all over the state and are very happy with the Continentals.
I enquired several tyre shops here. Availability of Continental Tyres is very limited in my location. Some told me that, currently Continental tyres are made in India and they lost their old quality. I don't know whether it is correct or not. Do you experience any quality problem on Continental tyres in your Toyota Glanza?
Only one shop had continental tyre in stock and they quoted 5300rs for 1 tyre.
Bridgestone is easily available and all the tyre shops quoted different prices It varies from 4600rs to 5100rs.
Now i am really confused between Continental and Bridgestone
Old 13th July 2023, 02:52   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonboy7662 View Post
I enquired several tyre shops here. Availability of Continental Tyres is very limited in my location. Some told me that, currently Continental tyres are made in India and they lost their old quality. I don't know whether it is correct or not. Do you experience any quality problem on Continental tyres in your Toyota Glanza?
Only one shop had continental tyre in stock and they quoted 5300rs for 1 tyre.
Bridgestone is easily available and all the tyre shops quoted different prices It varies from 4600rs to 5100rs.
Now i am really confused between Continental and Bridgestone
I can imagine the availability of these tires can be a problem, especially in tier 2/3 cities.

As for the quality, I cannot make a definitive comment but my father is very happy with the ride quality and the grip, especially in the wet weather conditions.

This tire is available for Rs. 4,943 per tire at this website: https://www.tyremarket.com/Continent...-79-H-Car-Tyre

You can source from them and get the tires fitted locally.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 12:20   #897
BHPian

I am being quoted Rs. 10,500 per tyre for Continental UC6, with alignment and balancing included. At Pirelli Performance Center (Tyre City), Malviya Nagar. Is this a good deal and a good choice?

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2023 at 22:26. Reason: Typo
Old 1st August 2023, 22:46   #898
BHPian

I am planning to buy a new Volvo S90 and want to upgrade the wheels to 21 inches ( 245 / 35 / R21 ) . The upgrade will be through Volvo only therefore there will not be any issue with the warranty.

Stock tyres are 245 / 45 / R18 ( Michelin )

The following upgrades are offered by Volvo :

1) Continental EcoContact 6 Silent ( https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516181/2023 )

2) Pirelli Pzero PNCS ( https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516180/2023 )

Learned members of the forum are requested to advise which of the two - Continental or Pirelli will be better for Indian conditions.

Thank you.
Old 2nd August 2023, 00:10   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adasisthefuture View Post
I am planning to buy a new Volvo S90 and want to upgrade the wheels to 21 inches ( 245 / 35 / R21 ) .
21 inches on a s90 in India? I really hope you’ve thought this through.

When it comes to tyres, I guess the only options available to you will be via the dealer themselves. Pirellis have relatively weak sidewalls but in the mentioned tyre size, no manufacturer will be able to make a sturdy tyre for Indian conditions.

PS- I see your location as Valsad and I know from personal experience how the roads almost disappear in that area during the monsoons. Please reconsider your decision to go with 21s.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 00:48   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
21 inches on a s90 in India? I really hope you’ve thought this through.

When it comes to tyres, I guess the only options available to you will be via the dealer themselves. Pirellis have relatively weak sidewalls but in the mentioned tyre size, no manufacturer will be able to make a sturdy tyre for Indian conditions.

PS- I see your location as Valsad and I know from personal experience how the roads almost disappear in that area during the monsoons. Please reconsider your decision to go with 21s.
Thank you for your response. S90's ground clearance on stock wheels ( 245 / 45 / R18 ) is 152mm. I am buying this car for its safety, more particularly ADAS and build quality and therefore in these aspects, Volvo has no competition and accordingly, no alternative. This car will be used mostly for ourstation intercity trips on highways.

I don't want to buy an SUV however considering Indian road conditions, a little more ground clearance is desirable to avoid belly scraping. Following wheel upgrades are offered by Volvo ( https://www.volvocars.com/in/support...a80151032fd5e9 )

1) 255 / 40 / R19 ( Additional ground clearance gained - 4.45mm )

2) 255 / 35 / R20 ( Additional ground clearance gained - 4.39mm )

3) 245 / 35 / R21 ( Additional ground clearance gained - 13.59 mm )

Tool used to find out additional ground clearance: https://net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

In light of the above, the tyre size I am looking to upgrade takes the car's ground clearance to 165+ which would be sufficient for Indian Roads inasmuch as many India manufactured sedans also come with a similar ground clearance.

I would request you to share your opinion on the above. Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks