Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 15:36   #916
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

I will be getting my Venue soon, fitted with 195/R15/65 Apollo Alnac 4g tyres. I have read mixed reviews about the same, including sidewall issues. For mainly city drive shall I change them to better ones like Michelin? Kindly advise. Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 12:50   #917
BHPian

Hi folks, the stock tyre size of my Fazer 150 '09 motorcycle is
Front 100/80 17 = 80mm,
Rear 140/60 17 = 84mm,
i.e. rear is 5% taller than the front tyre

but the stock rear tyre being low profile is highly prone to puntures, so about 5 years ago, due to lack of knowledge/experience I changed the rear tyre size to 120/80 17.
Never got a single puncture ever since the replacement but the dynamics of the bike changed for worse & since the height at the rear rose, I felt more pressure on the wrists & posture felt tiring(I kept the front size as stock).

Fast forward to present, I again have to change both the tyres. I'm getting a really good tyre with the dimensions,
140/70 17 = 98mm,
so for front a tyre which would be closest to being 5% shorter than the rear would be,
100/90 17 = 90mm.

What all can I expect from the bike if I replace with the above said size, moreover is it recommended?
Old 11th October 2023, 13:43   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
I will be getting my Venue soon, fitted with 195/R15/65 Apollo Alnac 4g tyres. I have read mixed reviews about the same, including sidewall issues. For mainly city drive shall I change them to better ones like Michelin? Kindly advise. Thanks
Alnac 4g's are good tyres, not prone to punctures and offer good grip. Nothing wrong with the side wall either. My car has the same tyres with 195/55 15 size and I have done around 45k kms on them. Except for worn out roughness, they are still good.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 13:27   #919

Dear Senior members and Experts,
I own a MG Hector DCT 2019 model and drove more than 50 KM and now want to replace the Tyres. The stock size is [215/60/17] . Looking at the soft suspension of MG hector and keeping stability in mind specially at high speed on long drives i am thinking of upsizing the Tyre size but a bit confused. I would request experts to guide me on which size would be advisable which will have provide answer to both suspension and stability issue. Pls also guide me on what brand would be best in that case and what are the expected price. Looking forward to get expert advise from senior members with pros and cons so i can make a right decision.
Thanks in advance.
Old 15th October 2023, 15:52   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV only View Post
Dear Senior members and Experts,
I own a MG Hector DCT 2019 model and drove more than 50 KM and now want to replace the Tyres. The stock size is [215/60/17] . Looking at the soft suspension of MG hector and keeping stability in mind specially at high speed on long drives i am thinking of upsizing the Tyre size but a bit confused. I would request experts to guide me on which size would be advisable which will have provide answer to both suspension and stability issue. Pls also guide me on what brand would be best in that case and what are the expected price. Looking forward to get expert advise from senior members with pros and cons so i can make a right decision.
Thanks in advance.
No advise for you on tyres, but if youre out looking, I saw that harriers have a 16" wheel option with pretty substantial sidewalls. Do ask around about downsizing with your dealers. There's a multifold spend involved too, but no expense to ask, no.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 12:19   #921
BHPian

Planning to change tyres for my 44k run honda wrv diesel, oem goodyear tyres have been pathetic.

Cost of Michelin is 8200, yokohama earth 1 is 7950.
Ceat secura drives are costing around 5350 per tyre.

Is the quality difference between ceat and other companies so significant that the difference in price is 50%, or is it also because ceat is not a popular brand and not many prefer them over other brands.

They also have a warranty for non manufacturing defects for the first 2.5 years I think, so I am kind of leaning towards ceat.

Last edited by Aksthedreamer : 19th October 2023 at 12:20.
Old 19th October 2023, 15:55   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post
Is the quality difference between ceat and other companies so significant that the difference in price is 50%
I haven't used the other two tyres, but I have 195 section Secura Drives on my Tigor and have been pretty impressed by them. On my Nainital trip I just loved the way the car handled.

You will not regret the purchase, that's for sure.

So much I am impressed with the tyres, that my Kushaq will get the same once its time for replacement.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 16:49   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post
Planning to change tyres for my 44k run honda wrv diesel, oem goodyear tyres have been pathetic.

Cost of Michelin is 8200, yokohama earth 1 is 7950.
Ceat secura drives are costing around 5350 per tyre.

Is the quality difference between ceat and other companies so significant that the difference in price is 50%, or is it also because ceat is not a popular brand and not many prefer them over other brands.

They also have a warranty for non manufacturing defects for the first 2.5 years I think, so I am kind of leaning towards ceat.
You have already come to the aftermarket after learning that your OEM goodyear is rubbish - so naturally you`d be looking at an upgrade, most likely Michelin and Yokohama will be preferred over a Ceat.

You know where this is going, so that is one reason for the price difference.

The other thing is, there will be some difference in the way a Michelin behaves Vs a Ceat when you have already run 50K Kms, Michelin \ Yoko may have some advantage over Ceat in terms of how the tire feels and performs after 5 years, there is plenty of technology that goes into tire making and a premium tire will have those but may not be worth 50% cost increase purely on that merit. If you are keeping the car for long, you could spend more and go for a premium tire brand - that is about it.

I think Skoda Superb came with Apollo or Ceat, so they definitely will meet the specifications of OEM in terms of performance and safety.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 10:01   #924

Hi ,

I am planning to change tyres of my 2021 Volkswagen T-roc. The OEM ones are Bridgestone Turanza T 001 ( 215/55 ). I am looking for a high performance tyre that can offer good dry & wet grip. After some google search, I've shortlisted following options that I have (yet to check the availability with local dealer).

Continental UltraContact UC6 (94 V)
Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51 (94 W)
Bridgestone Turanza T001 (91 V)
Michelin Primacy 4ST (94 V)
Pirelli Cinturato P7 (94 W)

What should be the pecking order? Is there any other good quality rubber that I am missing in this list?

Last edited by ambabu : 27th October 2023 at 10:25.
Old 31st October 2023, 18:59   #925

I own a 2018 Brezza diesel with 50,000 kilometers on the odometer, and I'll be looking to upgrade the factory tires soon. Any recommendations for tire replacements?
Old 2nd November 2023, 16:14   #926
BHPian

I need to replace at least 2 tires of my 2011 Wagon R VXi. Currently, 155/65R14 75T Bridgestone tires are in use. Could anyone suggest a brand for the replacement tires.
Old 2nd November 2023, 17:18   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadySteer View Post
I own a 2018 Brezza diesel with 50,000 kilometers on the odometer… Any recommendations for tire replacements?
Brezza came with 205 section R16 tyres from Apollo IIRC. Yours is a diesel (2018 model) and I’d suggest that you pick one of these:
1. MRF Perfinza
2. Continental UC6
3. Yokohama Earth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
I need to replace at least 2 tires of my 2011 Wagon R VXi. Currently, 155/65R14 75T Bridgestone tires are in use. Could anyone suggest a brand for the replacement tires.
For a wagonR with 14 inch wheels, check out the standard Apollo Amazer 4G or one of these:
1. Yokohama Earth1
2. Continental CC6
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 09:31   #928
BHPian

Hello everyone,
My 2018 BRV V CVT has run 75k kms on stock Michelins (195/60/R16) across all types of terrains in the country ( Himalayas/Hills, good/bad/no roads) and it's time to change them.
Have been advised to change to 205/60/R16 and have the following options-
1. MRF Perfinza
2. Yokohoma
3. Vredestein
4. Continental UC6
(sadly, Michelins are unavailable in this size)
Requirements are less road noise ( BRV NVH insulation is poor) and reliability on long road trips.
Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 21st December 2023 at 09:33. Reason: Formatting
Old 22nd December 2023, 12:34   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
Hello everyone,
My 2018 BRV V CVT has run 75k kms on stock Michelins (195/60/R16) across all types of terrains in the country ( Himalayas/Hills, good/bad/no roads) and it's time to change them.
Have been advised to change to 205/60/R16 and have the following options-
1. MRF Perfinza
2. Yokohoma
3. Vredestein
4. Continental UC6
(sadly, Michelins are unavailable in this size)
Requirements are less road noise ( BRV NVH insulation is poor) and reliability on long road trips.
Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Based on advice of Mohsin from Madhus Tyre Centre, Wilson Garden, Bangalore, went for Yokohama Earth 1. Excellent infrastructure and service. Mohsin and staff are very professional, courteous and efficient.
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:32   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hi everyone. What upsize options do we have for a MG Hector 2023. The current size the vehicle comes on is 215-55-18. I would like to upgrade to preferably 225-55-18 or better 225-60-18. Some queries as below-
1. Would it be advisable to upgrade considering warranties.
2. What would be the best size for the upgrade.
3. What tyres do you recommend.

With better road grip, I would also like to have a better overall look of the car with the wider shoes. My running would be around 12k Km’s per year.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, did you change the tyres finally! Do reply.
I changed the stock 215/55/R18 to 235/50/R18 after driving initial 1000 km. Till now, I have driven 28000 km with the new size. Mine being a diesel, has more torque thus wider footprint has helped.

For your answers:

1. Would it be advisable to upgrade considering warranties. - Warranty shall be void once the stock size is changed

2. What would be the best size for the upgrade. - 235/50 R18, the diameter remains unchanged. If you are living in an area with bad roads, 235/55 R18 is better option as the side wide height would be more.

3. What tyres do you recommend. - Continental Contisport contact SC5.

I have owned Maruti Zen, Honda City & S-Cross 1.6 in the past and have driven almost 5 lacs km in the last 20-22 years. Have stuck to Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama & Continental in these cars. Out of these, I have found Continental to be most reliable and suitable for me. Of course, JK and Goodyear were driven for a few km being stock OEM tyres.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks