Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2023, 09:48   #901
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by adasisthefuture View Post

In light of the above, the tyre size I am looking to upgrade takes the car's ground clearance to 165+ which would be sufficient for Indian Roads inasmuch as many India manufactured sedans also come with a similar ground clearance.

I would request you to share your opinion on the above. Thank you.
Sir, I understand why you are going for the s90. It’s a brilliant product. We have one too in the company fleet. However, putting 21 inches on the car will make it unusable. The car already has pretty low suspension travel. The wheel hits the bump stops over even moderately thick rumble strips when loaded with 4 pax + luggage. With no sidewall to absorb some of the impact, you’ll end with popped tyres and bent rims in no time no matter how good you are at playing pothole bingo.

I read you’re going to use your car for outstation trips which I assume will involve driving on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway. I’ve heard of so many people loosing their tyres, suspension on that highway.

The Volvo is not an enthusiastic machine per se. So why not look at the XC60? Moreover, all of the cars you’ll find in that price range will be built safe and there’s no harm in checking out options from other brands. Trust me, you’ll end up switching off the ADAS 90% of the time.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:26   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Sir, I understand why you are going for the s90. It’s a brilliant product. We have one too in the company fleet. However, putting 21 inches on the car will make it unusable. The car already has pretty low suspension travel. The wheel hits the bump stops over even moderately thick rumble strips when loaded with 4 pax + luggage. With no sidewall to absorb some of the impact, you’ll end with popped tyres and bent rims in no time no matter how good you are at playing pothole bingo.

I read you’re going to use your car for outstation trips which I assume will involve driving on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway. I’ve heard of so many people loosing their tyres, suspension on that highway.

The Volvo is not an enthusiastic machine per se. So why not look at the XC60? Moreover, all of the cars you’ll find in that price range will be built safe and there’s no harm in checking out options from other brands. Trust me, you’ll end up switching off the ADAS 90% of the time.
Thank you very much for your kind response and suggestions.

May I request you to shed light on the ground clearance calculations mentioned in my post ? An upgrade to 245 / 35 / R21 will raise the ground clearance of the car by 13mm. Won't the raised ( increased to 165 mm from 152mm on stock wheele ) ground clearance be sufficient to manage Indian road conditions? Kindly share your opinion and experience.

As regards XC60 is concerned, Volvo is removing features from the SUV one by one, year on year. Air Suspension was taken away in 2019. The most recent blow is the removal of BLIS ( Blind Spot Information System ) which they earlier used to give also in entry level XC40 is now gone. On one hand they are raising the prices and on the other, they are removing the features. Further, XC60 as with many other SUVs , is more prone to roll over deaths as reported by IIHS consistently over the years. The S90 being a Sedan, has a natural advantage. I am spending the money only for safety and removal of BLIS as well as increased risk of rollovers is a deal breaker for me.

As regards the competition is concerned, I think Volvo is far ahead of others with regard to the extreme crash testing they do with their cars. No other brand comes close as Safety is Volvo's philosophy while for others, it is sportiness, tech, comfort and so on.

Thank you.
Old 2nd August 2023, 22:40   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your kind response and suggestions.

May I request you to shed light on the ground clearance calculations mentioned in my post ? An upgrade to 245 / 35 / R21 will raise the ground clearance of the car by 13mm. Won't the raised ( increased to 165 mm from 152mm on stock wheele ) ground clearance be sufficient to manage Indian road conditions? Kindly share your opinion and experience.
Yes, speed breakers will be easier to deal with. But the s90 is already better at tackling speed breakers than the 5 series and the Lexus ES (two other current gen competition cars that I’ve driven extensively). And you can crab walk the car over the irregular ones. Even if the car rubs its belly over a couple of humps, no big deal as the underbody protection takes care of it. However if you hit a pothole, heck even a sharp edge on an expansion joint or a road surface transfer point, your tyres may be toast and a bent rim is also a possibility. Also do factor in the waiting times for such an odd sized tyre when you need a replacement after such an incident.

Case in point:

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_8478.jpeg

Here’s my Octavia happily enjoying Lonavala weather earlier today. Now I wouldn’t dare venture on this surface with rubber band tyres.

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_8479.jpeg

A few weeks back I hit a sharp edge in the road while driving on an unknown highway at night. It was a concrete road where nobody would expect any imperfections. And the tyre developed a sidewall bulge. This was on a 225/45/18 tyre. Can’t imagine what would’ve happened on 21 inchers.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 00:40   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, speed breakers will be easier to deal with. But the s90 is already better at tackling speed breakers than the 5 series and the Lexus ES (two other current gen competition cars that I’ve driven extensively). And you can crab walk the car over the irregular ones. Even if the car rubs its belly over a couple of humps, no big deal as the underbody protection takes care of it. However if you hit a pothole, heck even a sharp edge on an expansion joint or a road surface transfer point, your tyres may be toast and a bent rim is also a possibility. Also do factor in the waiting times for such an odd sized tyre when you need a replacement after such an incident.

Case in point:

Attachment 2484907

Here’s my Octavia happily enjoying Lonavala weather earlier today. Now I wouldn’t dare venture on this surface with rubber band tyres.

Attachment 2484908

A few weeks back I hit a sharp edge in the road while driving on an unknown highway at night. It was a concrete road where nobody would expect any imperfections. And the tyre developed a sidewall bulge. This was on a 225/45/18 tyre. Can’t imagine what would’ve happened on 21 inchers.
Thank you once again for your kind response. The Volvo showroom is also offering a 245 / 45 / R20 as an alternative size though it is not listed on the website. Would you recommend opting for that size instead of 245 / 35 / R21 which I am presently looking at ? This size if opted for, would raise the ground clearance by 26mm taking it to 177mm. Sidewall height is also similar to stock tyres which are 245 / 45 / R18.

There is one more option - 235 / 50 / R19. Additional ground clearance gained is 20mm i.e overall 172mm.

Last edited by adasisthefuture : 3rd August 2023 at 01:03. Reason: Correction of one typographical error and adding some information.
Old 3rd August 2023, 04:43   #905
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Thank you once again for your kind response. The Volvo showroom is also offering a 245 / 45 / R20 as an alternative size though it is not listed on the website. Would you recommend opting for that size instead of 245 / 35 / R21 which I am presently looking at ? This size if opted for, would raise the ground clearance by 26mm taking it to 177mm. Sidewall height is also similar to stock tyres which are 245 / 45 / R18.

There is one more option - 235 / 50 / R19. Additional ground clearance gained is 20mm i.e overall 172mm.

In your post you’ve mentioned three different sizes which you are evaluating. Each of the three shows a different wheel rim size. Is it that you will be changing your wheel rims also along with the tyres?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:41   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In your post you’ve mentioned three different sizes which you are evaluating. Each of the three shows a different wheel rim size. Is it that you will be changing your wheel rims also along with the tyres?
Yes. Rims will be changed. May I request you share your views on the options?
Old 3rd August 2023, 13:30   #907
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. Rims will be changed. May I request you share your views on the options?
For Indian road conditions, personally, I would go for a smaller rim and a tubeless tyre with a higher sidewall. Its what Ive done on my Cooper S.
Makes all the difference to the ride comfort and is able to handle the debris strewn, pothole and speed breaker filled roads that we drive on.
Old 3rd August 2023, 18:13   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For Indian road conditions, personally, I would go for a smaller rim and a tubeless tyre with a higher sidewall. Its what Ive done on my Cooper S.
Makes all the difference to the ride comfort and is able to handle the debris strewn, pothole and speed breaker filled roads that we drive on.
If you were to choose from the options I have evaluating, which one would you choose?
Old 4th August 2023, 03:09   #909
BHPian

Quote:

Case in point:

Attachment 2484907

Attachment 2484908

Would you advise opting for RIM protectors like Alloygator with low profile tyres and 21s. Would that help ? Have you used any of those ? Thank you.
Old 4th August 2023, 05:31   #910
BANNED

Quote:
If you were to choose from the options I have evaluating, which one would you choose?
I would choose the option of size 235/50/19 which you have written.
Old 4th August 2023, 10:48   #911
BHPian

Hello everyone.

I’m planning to book Altroz iTurbo XZ+(S) varient that comes with 185/60 R16 Goodyear/MRF tyres which I’ll get it swapped with Continental UC6 but confused between 185/55 and 195/60.

Altroz used to come with 195/55 R16.

I think 195/60 would be the best bet in terms of grip levels/comfort but not sure how adverse it will affect the mileage/performance of the car.

Would love to hear from all the experts out here.

Thank you.
Old 4th August 2023, 12:18   #912
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekNigam View Post

I think 195/60 would be the best bet in terms of grip levels/comfort but not sure how adverse it will affect the mileage/performance of the car.
We upgraded my Dad’s Glanza whose stock tyres were 195/60/16 to MRF Perfinza 205/55/16. It was a good upgrade. These are nice, silent, grippy tyres. No appreciable impact on mileage. But the car is definitely much more sure footed. The Perfinzas of this size are a very good option to consider.
Old 12th August 2023, 10:21   #913
BHPian

Hello members,
I am looking to replace the tyres on my 2019 Audi Q3 Quattro. The stock tyre was Bridgestone Dueler in 235/50 R18. I'm not looking to upsize or anything as I am comfortable with the way it drives. One of the options give by a tyre store is Bridgestone Alenza 001, as per him it is better than Dueler as well & made for SUV's. Also there are options for CSC5 & Primacy 4ST, but the dealer said those are for sedans and not suitable for SUV's.
Just wanted members feedback on the Alenza 001.
Old 13th September 2023, 22:55   #914

Hey guys,
I own a Kia Sonet GTX and the car has 36k on the ODO. One of the tyre got burst yesterday. Currently I have Apollo Alnac 4gs 215/60 R16 and am looking for a replacement for all the 4 tyres. Have checked Bridgestone Turanza t001 and Primacy 4st. It would be great if you guys can provide me some advice and recommendations about the tyres that I should be looking at.
Old 28th September 2023, 12:11   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I am being quoted Rs. 10,500 per tyre for Continental UC6, with alignment and balancing included. At Pirelli Performance Center (Tyre City), Malviya Nagar. Is this a good deal and a good choice?
Planning on getting the replacement in Ocotober/December. The stock 215/60 R17 JKs on my Creta DCT have done 54K KMs. On my last alignment and balancing visit to Pirelli Performance Center (Tyre City), Malviya Nagar, I was advised replacement around 60K.

Would love to hear BHPians experiences/opinions/tips on the proposition for Continental UC6 for Rs. 10,500 per tyre from Pirelli Performance Center (Tyre City), Malviya Nagar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks