Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review

Bad LED. Should be replaceable.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:31   #227
BHPian

2nd Service Done @ 4K kms

Hello Guys,

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

Sorry for letting this thread die with no updates from my end, as I have been kept away from my Ride and was busy preparing for the Bride.

Coming back to business, second service took place last week. As a matter of fact, the bike was with the service center folks getting pampered while I was away on my honeymoon.

Quick Update:-
  1. Mileage - 32-34 Kmpl (50% City & 50% Highway)
  2. Top Speed - 154kmph (With no wind resistence on straight road - Without crouching or redlining) - Gets to 140 easily, thereafter takes it's own sweet time!!!
  3. Road Grip - Great!!! So far no issues with the tyres - Loose Gravel is only surface you have to be careful on (mainly if braking), otherwise Continentals are doing a great job.
  4. Brakes - So far the braking has not been a problem and the pads are good for another 2K kms. While braking is pretty much on spot, the braking from front could have been better
  5. Rattling - A few fairing clips were missing, now sorted
  6. Lighting - Have not got a reason to complain yet, the headlights are pretty much enough even on highways (No blown bulbs yet)
  7. Electricals - No issues yet
  8. Battery - No problem
  9. Engine Heating - Never experience over heating except for bumper to bumper traffic (but only felt heat on legs not on the guage)
  10. Stabilty - I would say good, on highway be careful of cross-winds if you are doing triple digits
  11. Quality/Durabilty - Am yet to find any flaws, some issues pertaining few bolts and the mirrors has been taken care of now

Things done during second service :-
  1. Oil Change - Semi-Synthetic instead of regular Non-Synthetic (Planning FS next time
  2. Oil Filter Changed
  3. Both RVMs changed under warranty
  4. Rear Indicator (LHS) replaced as earlier one had broken from the stay
  5. Rusted bolts replaced
  6. Paint Job
  7. And other regular items as due during 2nd service

Post 2nd service the bike feels more refined and the shifts are much more smoother now. Bike sounds less husky since moved to Semi-Synthetic (against Mineral earlier) and I am sure once I move to FS oil it will make a world of a difference. I am not sure why the A.S.S. is not using FS oil.

Regarding the paint job - During the feedback session with Honda folks, I had expressed my dejection on the step-motherly treatment Indian customers are given and told them we also needed more color options. In fact the black color offered in N. America looks any day better than the Black/Silver option we have. To make up for the dissat, I was offered a paint job from service center at a reasonable price and while they did charge me a mere 2K for it the job done has brought a smile to my face.

The finish and gloss for the plastics has been matched with existing color on the bike and the heat plate on the exhaust has been powder-coated to my satisfaction.

Honestly, the bike looks much better, bigger & meaner now. Some pics for comparison :-

Bike before the makeover in 2011

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-side-profile-2011.jpg

After the paint job in 2012

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-side-profile-2012.jpg

View from front - Before & After

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-front-view-2011.jpg
Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-front-view-2012.jpg

Mirrors earlier did have a lot of quality issues, even the paint on the mirror bars was chipped and the bolts were completely rusted.

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-front-2011.jpg

New mirrors have a much better finish and there are bolt caps provided while will prevent rusting which was caused due to water logging in the bolt holders.

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-front-2012.jpg

Last edited by mantrig : 18th January 2012 at 20:34.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:28   #228
BHPian

The bike looks gorgeous after black paint and black powder coat on silencer heat guard is awesome......Congrats for good job n new look
Old 19th January 2012, 08:44   #229
BHPian

Re: 2nd Service Done @ 4K kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello Guys,

Post 2nd service the bike feels more refined and the shifts are much more smoother now.
Completely agree, I have had a world of a difference since my second service. Engine is smoother; pick up and top speed both are easier to achieve (compared to the grunting attempts before).

The replacement of nut bolts and the bolt cap for RVM's have been a boon for us

Though I am not really happy with the braking, it does not induce confidence at high speeds (maybe the ABS version is better).

And man does your new black beauty shine or what, thank god looks dont kill . Are you up for the Dudhani ride this weekend ?
Old 20th January 2012, 11:49   #230
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2nd Service Done @ 4K kms

Congrats and wish you a very happy married life.

Quote:
Post 2nd service the bike feels more refined and the shifts are much more smoother now. Bike sounds less husky since moved to Semi-Synthetic (against Mineral earlier) and I am sure once I move to FS oil it will make a world of a difference. I am not sure why the A.S.S. is not using FS oil.
As far as i know, it comes with 10w30 FS oil. And all the A.S.S in bangalore use this.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:43   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
The bike looks gorgeous after black paint and black powder coat on silencer heat guard is awesome......Congrats for good job n new look
Thanks Buddy!!!

Actually, the pictures uploaded don't do justice to the look as these are clicked from a 2mp cell phone camera. Will upload better quality pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post

Though I am not really happy with the braking, it does not induce confidence at high speeds (maybe the ABS version is better).

And man does your new black beauty shine or what, thank god looks dont kill . Are you up for the Dudhani ride this weekend ?
Agree with you Vishal, the bike feels much better now. However, I am not sure if having ABS would help bringing the bike to stop at high speeds that this baby is capable of. I am sure we will be at peace hard braking, but my basic issue is the ability of the front disc at higher speeds. May be the Nissin capilers inspire more confidence. We should try it sometime!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Congrats and wish you a very happy married life.

As far as i know, it comes with 10w30 FS oil. And all the A.S.S in bangalore use this.
Thank you Sir.

Yes, I agree that the they are supposed to use 10w30 FS but here even during my first service they were out of stock so used regular (NS) oil. And this time also they had the same tale to narrate and ended up using Semi-synthetic of same specs.

I am taking Motul FS during my next service, have already spoken to someone who is sourcing the stuff for me.

Let me know your thoughts on using Motul which I will be picking up from elsewhere.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:59   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Paint Job
Looks great mantrig. I've seen one black CBR with all the silver bits replaced with carbon fiber (replica, i guess or maybe stickering) and it looked great too.

This looks really nice and very stealth. Any plans on getting the rims also painted? Light gold would look nice IMO.

Quote:
Let me know your thoughts on using Motul which I will be picking up from elsewhere.
Check this out. I am using the 7100 FS Motul oil and its a single ester compared to the double ester in the 300V Racing line. After filling in this oil, the engine feels very smooth and even more refined. Some rough edges which were marginally noticeable also disappeared. Would keep this as the standard fill for my ninja and only switch to the 300V once she becomes a dedicated track tool.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 18:33   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sir.

Yes, I agree that the they are supposed to use 10w30 FS but here even during my first service they were out of stock so used regular (NS) oil. And this time also they had the same tale to narrate and ended up using Semi-synthetic of same specs.

I am taking Motul FS during my next service, have already spoken to someone who is sourcing the stuff for me.

Do you know the grading/viscosity used by them in your first service and now.
Old 23rd January 2012, 20:57   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Looks great mantrig. I've seen one black CBR with all the silver bits replaced with carbon fiber (replica, i guess or maybe stickering) and it looked great too.

This looks really nice and very stealth. Any plans on getting the rims also painted? Light gold would look nice IMO.

Check this out. I am using the 7100 FS Motul oil and its a single ester compared to the double ester in the 300V Racing line. After filling in this oil, the engine feels very smooth and even more refined. Some rough edges which were marginally noticeable also disappeared. Would keep this as the standard fill for my ninja and only switch to the 300V once she becomes a dedicated track tool.
Thanks Aditya,

Yes, using the light gold is on cards. I am waiting to suck more life out of the tires before I go in for the next paint job as I have Ride-On (puncture sealant) in my tires and getting the rims out for the paint job means the solution inside the tires would go waste.

Also, the silver bits replaced with plastics in Carbon Fiber finish are actually the plastic parts sold at the Service Centers. Here in Mumbai, they charge 1,100/- INR for each piece of plastic (only the ones that are in silver color on all bikes). So if I need the RHS & LSH of any particular piece of plastic in the carbon fiber look then it costs around 2.5K per set including labor and service tax.

Thanks again!!! For sharing the info on oil. I am considering taking my own can (Motul) next time. I want to get more info on the oil used in other CBRs by fellow members on board.

Quote:
Do you know the grading/viscosity used by them in your first service and now.
Hello RK - Sorry for the delay in replying back, I tried looking for the pics of the oil can from my 1st service but in vain. Will upload them once I find them.

I do remember the viscosity of the oil used at both times was 10w 30. Same as used on your bike however it's not been FS.

Cost of oil Change during 1st service was Rs. 320/- INR (Mineral) and this time it was Rs. 565/- (Semi-Synthetic). I am not sure why this is the case honestly, and would appreciate your thoughts on the same.

Also, I was not around when the oil change took place this time so have not seen the can myself, however I checked the details of the oil used with the service manager. The 1st time service was done, the oil was changed in my presence so can testify the fact that oil used was non-synthetic.

Also, check this link I came across on the internet :-Honda Kits : Northwest Honda, Honda Bike Parts & Accessories

CBR250R 2011 Lube Service Kit

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-250-lubeserve_lrg.jpg

CBR250R 2011 Service Fluids

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-250-fluids_lrg.jpg

CBR250R 2011 Full Service Kit

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-250-full-serve_lrg.jpg

Last edited by mantrig : 23rd January 2012 at 21:19. Reason: Updated the post with more info!!!
Old 24th January 2012, 18:37   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello RK - Sorry for the delay in replying back, I tried looking for the pics of the oil can from my 1st service but in vain. Will upload them once I find them.

I do remember the viscosity of the oil used at both times was 10w 30. Same as used on your bike however it's not been FS.

Cost of oil Change during 1st service was Rs. 320/- INR (Mineral) and this time it was Rs. 565/- (Semi-Synthetic). I am not sure why this is the case honestly, and would appreciate your thoughts on the same.

Also, I was not around when the oil change took place this time so have not seen the can myself, however I checked the details of the oil used with the service manager. The 1st time service was done, the oil was changed in my presence so can testify the fact that oil used was non-synthetic.
This is the one used in my bike and it is FS 10w30. And during the service camp organised by Honda, few of us confirmed with them about this and they insisted that this is the right oil.

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-dsc02495.jpg

But observing the cost you paid, looks like not FS. FS 10w30 costed INR 515 per litre appx and we need 1.5 ltrs appx every oil change.

Last edited by rk_sans : 24th January 2012 at 18:39.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 18:44   #236
BHPian

Quote:
This is the one used in my bike and it is FS 10w30. And during the service camp organised by Honda, few of us confirmed with them about this and they insisted that this is the right oil.

But observing the cost you paid, looks like not FS. FS 10w30 costed INR 515 per litre appx and we need 1.5 ltrs appx every oil change.
That's right. This is the same can used for my servicing, however the ones used were not 100% synthetic.

I am not quite sure, as to why this is the case here. I will be calling in before my next service to check if the have the FS oil in stock else will pick up Motul and head to the service center.

So what is the update on your front about the bike? I mean, any update on performance, kms clocked, mileage, niggles, upgrades in mind etc..
Old 24th January 2012, 19:38   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what is the update on your front about the bike? I mean, any update on performance, kms clocked, mileage, niggles, upgrades in mind etc..
8200 kms clocked, Mileage never checked after initial days, appx should be 30kmpl in city.
Got the "ex" shims changed and as there was difference in it.
Started using 3M lube for chains and found it not good for highway run, would last max 200-300 kms on highway runs. So back again to Motul lube.
Planning for a Leh trip in june, so looking out for good rubbers suitable for that trip and that's the only modifications planned so far.
Need to change the clutch levers to an adjustable levers. Had a friend check in Bachoo motors but they did not have stock of Silver color about 2-3 weeks before.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:14   #238
BHPian

Quote:
8200 kms clocked, Mileage never checked after initial days, appx should be 30kmpl in city.
Got the "ex" shims changed and as there was difference in it.
Started using 3M lube for chains and found it not good for highway run, would last max 200-300 kms on highway runs. So back again to Motul lube.
Planning for a Leh trip in june, so looking out for good rubbers suitable for that trip and that's the only modifications planned so far.
Need to change the clutch levers to an adjustable levers. Had a friend check in Bachoo motors but they did not have stock of Silver color about 2-3 weeks before.
Hey, Sorry for the delay in getting back and thanks for those updates.

Looks like you will cross the 10K kms mark before we enter the next financial year.

Any particular sign that indicated the "ex" shims needed to be changed?

I was planning to use the 3M as was unable to lay my hands on Motul, however reading your experience I might as well hunt religiously and get myself a can of Motul Lube.

All the best with your plans to get Leh"D and do let me know which are the options you are considering for the rubber switch.

Regarding new/adjustable clutch levers, let me know if you want me to give a check in bachoo or PRS as I do visit that area pretty often. Also, have you looked at options available online?

PS:- Have managed to finally cross the 5K mark and the odo reads 5,100kms now.

Last edited by mantrig : 6th February 2012 at 19:30.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:39   #239
Senior - BHPian

I test rode a Honda CBR 250R about 4 days ago at 2 different places in Bombay. Although the engine is smooth it sounds like an industrial motor. Really didnt like the crude way it sounds.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:37   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any particular sign that indicated the "ex" shims needed to be changed?

I was planning to use the 3M as was unable to lay my hands on Motul, however reading your experience I might as well hunt religiously and get myself a can of Motul Lube.

All the best with your plans to get Leh"D and do let me know which are the options you are considering for the rubber switch.

Regarding new/adjustable clutch levers, let me know if you want me to give a check in bachoo or PRS as I do visit that area pretty often. Also, have you looked at options available online?

PS:- Have managed to finally cross the 5K mark and the odo reads 5,100kms now.
Difference in valve clearance will let you know that the shims need replacement.

There is a ebay vendor, who ships lube directly home. Will pm you the details.

Will definitely keep you informed about the rubber switch.

I did check with Bachoo few days ago but they mentioned they do not have for non-abs version. Online, it is little expensive and does not feel like spending so much for that.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks