Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 09:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield TBTS 500 unveiled EDIT Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
The last batch of my Barsaat of pictures, and with this final upload i finally cease to become a newbie and hereinafter be referred to as a BHP-ian.

Phew its been a long day, Goodnight. Hope you like the pictures :-
thanks Vijayraj
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-dsc01597.jpg  

Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-dsc01595.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 11:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
The Back breaking winter mornings do continue on the newer generation REs too. My hardly 1 year old TBTS has been giving me these nightmares every night this winter, as I spend approximately 30 kicks on firing up the mill. If someone is thinking why do I spend time kick-starting my new gen TBTS, then please read on...RE have continued their legacy of putting in horrible quality spares, the battery in this particular case has died down before covering 10k on the odo and hardly a year being completed next month. And as usual, the RE guys do not have a new battery set or for that matter any proper frequently to be changed spares. So, I need to wait for a couple of more days to get my ride fitted with a new battery and hopefully end my nightmares of how to start it the next morning.
The self-start of the TBTS is a pretty useless thing, and never works in the mornings. The way I start mine is to kick the lever a few times with the engine switch OFF, and then put it ON and kick again. Usually works.
Old 7th January 2012, 12:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
thanks Vijayraj
OMFG...just saw the reflector fitted on the rear fender. This is the last nail in coffin, reminds me of the time when my MTB rockshox bi-cycle had better reflectors. This is indeed a disaster.
Old 7th January 2012, 22:38   #64

The bike looks beautiful. I didn't like the TBTS 350 for it's disproportionate looks. A purely personal opinion. But the design of the TBTS 500 looks much better to me. As someone in the thread had pointed out, I guess the main difference is the tank which gels better with the remainder of the bike. And rear disc brakes! I wish I had it on my cl500.
Old 8th January 2012, 03:31   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Rollin' Thunda
Are you saying the electric starter on the new UCE engines isn't starting your motorcycle easily, or are you speaking of one of the older engines made before the UCE powered machines?

As most know, the electric starter on the Iron Barrel and the AVL left a lot to be desired but I have not heard of hardly any problems with the fuel injected UCE's.

For what it's worth, kicking over the fuel injected UCE powered motorcycles with the key off will do nothing except waste leg power. With the ignition off, the fuel injector will not inject any fuel into the engine.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 8th January 2012 at 03:34.
Old 8th January 2012, 05:21   #66
BHPian

I am very happy that Royal Enfield has launched the TBTS 500. When i was looking for an enfiled took TD of both CL 500 and TBTS 350.
I was offered TD for CL 500 first and then TBTS 350. Just loved the pulling power of the CL and was very happy with over all feel of the bike and then when i TD the TBTS 350 , I really missed the pull CL had and it had a very ordinary feel, it was a huge difference. Then I enquired about the TBTS 500 and was told to expect it in by April 2012.
Now as the bike has been launched at the expo, will keep an eye on it and take the TD as soon as its available. I hope they have tried to curb the vibrations which are still felt on the CL500.
Old 8th January 2012, 08:38   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Rollin' Thunda
Are you saying the electric starter on the new UCE engines isn't starting your motorcycle easily, or are you speaking of one of the older engines made before the UCE powered machines?

As most know, the electric starter on the Iron Barrel and the AVL left a lot to be desired but I have not heard of hardly any problems with the fuel injected UCE's.

For what it's worth, kicking over the fuel injected UCE powered motorcycles with the key off will do nothing except waste leg power. With the ignition off, the fuel injector will not inject any fuel into the engine.
Hi, Jim. I have a 2009 Thunderbird Twinspark, which has a UCE engine (the first on an RE bike) but no fuel injection. I have already replaced the electric starter once, but even this one doesn't start up in the mornings.

Kicking the lever with the engine switch off is just to heat up the cylinder by the compression of the air in the cylinder (no fuel is burnt). This seems to make it easier to start when the engine switch is finally turned on.

I don't know about the starters sold in the USA, but the ones in India don't seem to have improved if my cousin's Chrome 500 is anything to go by. (RE does a lot of cost-cutting in India, to keep prices down).
Old 8th January 2012, 10:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

It's surely a subjective matter but then the new design looked more like a moped, especially from the rear. If not any thing else, the factor that was felt missing the most is the macho of the Bullet as a brand.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Ok, chest-thumpers all feel bad that the Royal Enfield has lost its manhood. Looks like oil leaks, electrical issues and stone age technology is really macho.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:51   #70
BHPian

my RE STD 500 looks much better than the TBTS500. RE do relish on a pic of my bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield TBTS 500 Unveiled. EDIT: Now Launched !!!-323310_1951357403828_1839444058_1304696_1370821553_o.jpg  

Dr.Awesomeness is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 14:00   #71
BHPian

With great anxiety, i had dropped into one of the dealer's showroom yesterday to find out when this Machine will arrive to the markets. He said JULY 12.
Old 8th January 2012, 19:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Sir, I am assuming that your comments were in reference to my last post on this thread. So, with all due respect, I just intend to bring to your notice about how nobody spoke of oil leaks & all the other intricacies that you have pointed out as a reflection of machismo.
If I wasn't explicit enough earlier, when I spoke of machismo, it was due to the design/styling of the motorcycle & that's it. I am sure you would have understood the same sentiment had I given an example of a Mercedes G55 appearing/feeling more macho than maybe an S-class, & again as mentioned earlier, it's subjective.

I hope we can keep sharing view-points without such comments.

Ride safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ok, chest-thumpers all feel bad that the Royal Enfield has lost its manhood. Looks like oil leaks, electrical issues and stone age technology is really macho.
Old 8th January 2012, 20:02   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Sir, I am assuming that your comments were in reference to my last post on this thread. So, with all due respect, I just intend to bring to your notice about how nobody spoke of oil leaks & all the other intricacies that you have pointed out as a reflection of machismo.
If I wasn't explicit enough earlier, when I spoke of machismo, it was due to the design/styling of the motorcycle & that's it. I am sure you would have understood the same sentiment had I given an example of a Mercedes G55 appearing/feeling more macho than maybe an S-class, & again as mentioned earlier, it's subjective.

I hope we can keep sharing view-points without such comments.

Ride safe.
Hahahaha! No way amigo was I making any reference to your post. Its only that I have noticed that whenever a new RE is released, the Chest-thumping-hardcore-onlysteelengineisanengine-Bulleteers start roaring and cursing anything out of the RE stable. No offense.

And btw, I also ride a Thunderbird and am part of a RE club in Bangalore.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Here's some more insight on the TBTS 500

2012 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Review plus some more Details inside. ~ BiKoholic

And Quoting this from another thread so that all information pertaining to TBTS 500 stays in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
I had the opportunity to ride the TBTS 500 when it was being tested and let me try and put it as subjectively as possible for you.
We can only tell you our opinion; ultimately you need to bite the bullet!

TBTS 350 over TBTS 500:
- proven track record & gem of an engine for touring and sedate riding - its no zipper but I have done 700+ kms in a day (keylong to delhi crossing rohtang) and it never complained; touché.
- easier to manouver than the 500 TBTS given the short ride I had.
- if touring, now the mechanics in nooks and corners can fix it.
- much better fuel efficiency (45+ is easy when touring & ripping).
- expect to save at least 70k on the OTR price & 20 paise per km of riding.
- the ribbed front Tyres make in city steering easier.
- the longer suspension will give a very marginal better ride.

TBTS 500 over TBTS 350:
- bigger engine, more torque, higher power ----- I do feel the need for a 500 engine when a fellow rider zips past on the extra 12kgm BUT I do manage to catch up. More relaxed cruising at speeds of 90-100. (on the 350 it's is between 70-80). Trust me when you do 600+ kms in a day it does make a hell of a difference.
- lower fuel efficiency but more range! 35 * 20 should give 700 kms in a well kept 500. TBTS 350 gives me about 500 kms range.
- rear disc brakes would mean progressive braking. (Don't go by hear say; disc brakes are good - you need to practice how to use them and not stamp in emergency situations. Find an empty stretch and practice).
- projector headlamps with 55 rating are much better than the 350!
- the pattern Tyres provide more grip & comfort for touring.
- the increase in weight (12 kg) should offset the wheelbase reduction. 41 forks should result in a more composed ride.

To add my perspective; I definitely will go for the TB500 but after RE has churned out 2 batches at least.
Specially from your case, you should outgrow the 350 & may not want to end up with a first batch niggle ridden 500. Though RE has extensively tested the TB 500 & I think it should be one of their best effort product to be launched in recent times.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 21:32   #75
BHPian

Very reliable info: Launch of the TBTS500 before 30 June 12.
Keep your monies ready!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks