Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 11:42   #136
BHPian

Re: The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastichouse View Post
If not, get the coolant level checked too.
Thanks sarcastichouse.

I had been getting the coolant refilled during every workshop visit after engine overheating (which is 3-4 times in last 2 months).

Unfortunately, the stubborn overheating problem refuses to go away. Bombay's largest Yamaha workshop had been unable to sort out the problem.

They have already tried changing the various parts of coolant circulation system.

Now, as a last ditch effort, they are suggesting expensive clutch plate change. I am not sure if even this will work.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:47   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Thanks sarcastichouse.
===============
Now, as a last ditch effort, they are suggesting expensive clutch plate change. I am not sure if even this will work.
Oh I get it. This might seem trivial, but have you made sure that the overheat lamp isn't throwing out phantom warnings?
Old 27th October 2014, 17:13   #138
BHPian

Hi Guys, again got into an issue with my bike. Its a yamaha r15V2.
Today morning suddenly my bike refused to start. The engine warning light popped up on HUD. Checked the blinks & it came 4 longs blips and 8 short blips. Push starting also failed. Called the svc, mech came down and fixed the issue.
Now coming to the issue, the wire going into the Fuel Injector has got almost worn off near the inlet of the injector. He has temp fixed the issue by putting a black tape on it. Asked him what permanent fix option is to which he is saying that the whole wiring kit ~ Rs 3550 and the injector ~5K needs to be replaced. When I pointed out why I need to change the injector he said that I can give it a skip. Also he mentioned that there is another way of repairing the whole wire and he will charge me ~1500.
Somehow am not too convinced with his methods and he said that this is a very common issue.
Guys let me know if any of you have faced this issue. Also tell me if there is any mech in Bangalore who can do this work properly (svc is on a rip-off mode I guess).
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-img_20141027_143114.jpg  

Old 31st October 2014, 10:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

Overheating could be due to multiple issues.

Check if the thermostat is working properly and is kicking in the radiator fans when the bike is nearing the thermal cut off temperature.

Is the radiator or coolant reservoir leaking? I am surprised that it is thirsty for so much coolant.

If the bike is pulling effortlessly when you whack open the throttle, clutch is not the issue. Only if you notice clutch slippage, the clutch plates need to be checked.

For the above issue on bike not starting, check the fuel pump, starter motor and other related parts.

Please go to a reputed authorized service center to have these issues resolved.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:32   #140
BHPian

Hi Anup

Good to know that you let go of all the inhibitions regarding R15.
Here are a few links that can help with pre delivery inspection

This one is for cars, but shares some basic element
http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-d...pdi-check-list

These are for bikes

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...n-signing.html
scrol down and you will find a list, its for enfield though but again some similar points.

Another one for bike.
http://nexgenbikes.com/site/2011/01/...ke-motorcycle/

Plus, make sure the tyre presssure is correct aswell before hitting the road.
Showroom guys often neglet this.

Regards
Mehuel
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 20:53   #141

Hello, fellow R15 riders/enthusiasts..
I ride an R15v2.0,about to complete 59-60k kms. In the last two service visits(Yamaha SCs) I was informed about engine noise. They suggested to replace the camshaft. At first, i ignored but on careful listening ,i too heard a sound other than the normal engine sound.
What can be the probable causes?
Is it a problem that anyone else here has faced?
Is changing the camshaft the only solution?
TIA
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:05   #142

Hello everyone,
My R15 v2.0's front tire needs urgent replacement. No MRF retailer in Kolkata has the stock Zapper FY1 90/80- 17. Ralco is the only other manufacturer which makes this particular size.Even their dealers don't have it. What are the other tyre options that I can go for ?
Urgent.
TIA.
Old 4th October 2018, 16:01   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup89 View Post
Hello everyone,
My R15 v2.0's front tire needs urgent replacement. No MRF retailer in Kolkata has the stock Zapper FY1 90/80- 17.
TIA.
Did you try the MRF T&S showroom? The name of the franchisee is radhakrishna tyres and while its on the outskirts you may stand a chance. Do check and post here for the benefit of others as well. Ceat may also have an option in 90/80. Is it possible to fit a 100/80 by tinkering with the fender i wonder.
Old 24th February 2019, 12:05   #144
BHPian

Bought a new bike; some questions and some experience sharing

I bought a new Yamaha R15 v3 ABS about a week back. I have a question or two and want to share some experience too for the benefit of others who could have similar journey some time.

Background I come from Royal Enfield Bullet 350 1962 model as my first bike including learning to ride a motorbike, and then Continental GT 535 for past 4.5 years additionally. I have anotherbthread in this forum on my journey to choosing the R15.

Now I completed the mandated break in process for my first 1000 kms, strictly going by the book, the day before yesterday I had the bike first service done yesterday (due to visitors from Canada in office I may not be able to do any ride in coming week!). The service dealer was astonished that I had already completed 1000 kms in less than a week (6 days to be precise including a 280 kms ride on the last day). He was surprised at my passion for bikes when he learned that I took out the bike for a 100+ kms spin every single day after office since day time till 8 or 9 pm was usually busy.

Anyway, here are some observations on the v3 ABS version so far (will try to add more later as I ride more).

Observations
1. Thr bike is quite tall. Missed this point when I concluded on this one as my choice. Incidentally among my priorities was to get a short, easy to ride bike.
2. Very lightweight. Although it is only 25 kgs lighter than my Continental GT, it feels very very light.
3. Extremely easy to ride. Despite that very tall build, and me being a short guy at 5’4”, I find it extremely easy to ride. No sweat!
4. Bike handling is DAMN good even in those very rare (twice or so) situations when I was able hit the 100 kmph mark! Both in the high speed situations, and high brake moments or when handling curves, the bike offers IMMENSE confidence in handling. This is truly it’s main hallmark of what I had experienced so far.
5. Brakes are quite good although did not offer that confidence I had with the Brembo brakes in the Continental GT. They do stop extremely well and confidently.
6. ABS kicks in a little early. Once with my rear brake and another time with the front one. Both the situations were not those panicky situations but yes some quick braking indeed. Before I realised if it indeed was the ABS effect, in a split second the ABS feel was gone. And I am happy that it kicks in a little sooner than later. Glad that I paid extra and got the ABS version.
6. ONLY GRUNT Sure I was, frustrated that it wa so difficult to hit a ton (100 kmph) on this new bike. On the CGT it was so easy to get to 100 I barely managed twice to hit the magic mark. During the first 500 kms ride due to restrictions of break in period, it wouldn’t hit ton. I was okay with that. But during the second part of the 1000 kms break in, when I was allowed to rev up to 7,500 RPM, it still wouldn’t pass the hundred, even if I held the throttle there for a while. It was only during my last section of return on the 280 km ride did I notice that the bike expects me to use 6th gear only for cruising and not for any acceleration. The 5th gear does put me past the 100 mark if was going to be in the VVA (Variable Valve Actuation) zone of 7,400+ RPM. Regardjess of me being allowed to cross 7,500 RPM after first service, I felt the engine was already on high rev to go even further. This way I can never cruise at 100+ kmph during long drives. I am not a fast rider by any means. But I don’t like riding at lower than 90 kmph. The service guy tells me after the second (that’s another 3000 kms) service, the bike will easily touch 100. So far I thought only the first service was important to bring the bike to full potential. Apparently not, if he is right.
7. Thanks to that wonderful YouTube share by a BHPian which so wonderfully explains torque vs horsepower, I now realise I have a tough time with steep learning curve ahead. Perhaps the Royal Enfield’s all along have taught me riding a high torque bike with very low RPM of 2,000-3000 RPM, while the R15 v3 is expecting me ride at above 9,000 RPM (the lowest custom setting for shift change indicator light to come up as an alert), and a maximum of 13,000 RPM. Even adter staying around 6,000 RPM during the last ride, fingers of my both hands are still numb from the ride even after one full day! (Whoever said Royal Enfield bikes were high vibrating should try this very high revving bike!). I am not sure at this time if I will ever be comfortable to push the RPM so high as 10,000 just to change a gear.

QUESTIONS
1. Will the second service really make a difference that the first one wouldn’t and I need to wait further (to complete 4000 kms ODO)?
2. Should I never expect to CRUISE at 100 kmph? Will it always be either accelerating or decelerating only on this bike? All the time?
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-bcc185cff0c140f3b8b904756c1675b0.jpeg  

mkovuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 12:25   #145
BHPian

Re: Bought a new bike; some questions and some experience sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
I bought a new Yamaha R15 v3 ABS about a week back. I have a question or two and want to share some experience too for the benefit of others who could have similar journey some time.

QUESTIONS
1. Will the second service really make a difference that the first one wouldn’t and I need to wait further (to complete 4000 kms ODO)?
2. Should I never expect to CRUISE at 100 kmph? Will it always be either accelerating or decelerating only on this bike? All the time?
Congratulations on your new bike!!

I don't have any experience on Yamaha R15 but in general for sports bikes (and sports bike engines), the focus is more on RPM than on torque. Consequently to really have fun you need to rev the bike all the time. Don't upshift at 3-4k rpm like you would on your RE. Wring the throttle to 7-8k before upshifts. Again in comparison to RE, you would always be at much higher RPM for same speeds. It is just the nature of the engines.

You will get used to being in higher RPM all the time.

Again in general the bike will be smoother post second service but don't expect any big miraculous changes in way power is delivered.
Old 24th February 2019, 12:41   #146
Senior - BHPian

What you are experiencing is displaced expectations that occur normally when a rider shifts to a different capacity/category motorcycle compared to the older one he had and starts comparing traits.
If you want me to give you a short answer then NO, you will not be cruising on the r15 like you did on the bullet. 2 nd, 3rd or even 10 th service is not going to change it.
But lets try making this enjoyable for you. Firstly, forget about the bullet and stop comparing your r15 to it. Two completely different motorcycles having nothing in common.
Secondly, understand that you now have 1/3 rd the cc to play with. Displacement is everything. Also, the bullet puts everything on the line at around 4000 rpm where as the r15 does not even start screaming unless it reaches around 8500 rpm. That difference in rpm range is astronomical.
All this is going to reflect in the way the bike runs.
What you do gain is an overall sporty set up , corner craver , squeezing through traffic and that typical sports bike feel.
I guess you will have to first decide the intended purpose for your bike and if its touring you might be disappointed.

Last edited by bigron : 24th February 2019 at 12:57.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 13:44   #147
BHPian

I knew the bikes were different and that was among the reasons that I bought the R15. So I wasn't expecting it to behave like the RE. But I didn't know was that it will be a ride of accelerate or decelerate. I thought at some speed and presumably at a high RPM, the bike will coast. From the replies, it seems like it will never coast; irrespective of RPM. That is of course I want it anything higher than 70 kmph. At that speed though the bike is smooth and happy to continue.

Either ways, I am eagerly looking forward to the new experience. Good news is I have not been affected by the so called committed posture for up to the 280 kms ride. All in all, seems fun so far. I need to try out those RPMs above 7,000 to know how it feels like.
Old 24th February 2019, 15:48   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
Even adter staying around 6,000 RPM during the last ride, fingers of my both hands are still numb from the ride even after one full day! (Whoever said Royal Enfield bikes were high vibrating should try this very high revving bike!). I am not sure at this time if I will ever be comfortable to push the RPM so high as 10,000 just to change a gear.
Resonance vibrations are common with single cylinders, on my P220 I get them from 4.5~5.5k RPM, I like to relate them to a normal top-load washing machine, its silent at first, as it builds speed there are some vibrations which vanish as soon as ideal RPM's are attained.

At highway speeds the RE's do tremble a lot, the 350 past the 115kmph mark and the 500 past the 120kmph mark, in comparison the R15 is like a hot knife through butter at higher RPM's, if the vibrations are getting to you I'd suggest you follow the ideal super-sport seating position and reducing load to your hands.

Quote:
QUESTIONS
The 'Second Service' as such would not make a difference, but the motorcycle would get smoother as your ODO keeps climbing and you keep putting fresh oil into the crank case. Which is basically what the mechanic is trying to tell you.

Quote:
Had the same issue when climbing on the P220 coming from the ZMA.

It just takes a bit of unlearning and learning and you'd find the sweet spot. The R15 can cruise comfortably maintaining revs anywhere from 80+kmph in final drive.

But yes due to the taller final drive of 0.8x:1(IIRC) I'd suggest you refrain from accelerating in final drive and rather shift to it once you're at a comfortable speed of your choice.

Reason being more load in overdrive on a tall geared single cylinder machine at lower RPM's puts unnecessary load on the crank and cylinder.

Ride Safe.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks