Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 10:15   #61
BHPian

re: The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
What You Won't:
  • Riding position is very forward biased - palms / wrists get sore after a few minutes of riding.
This will go away after few hundred kilometers. I bought a CBR few weeks back and its my first bike so you can imagine how much worse my wrists must have been. But its all gone.

And 1up for LS2 helmets. Simply love the pad design inside the helmet; snug but not tight...
Old 10th February 2012, 10:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
This will go away after few hundred kilometers. I bought a CBR few weeks back and its my first bike so you can imagine how much worse my wrists must have been. But its all gone.
I've done almost 5000 kms now. The wrists still hurt every time i start off.
But I guess the CBR has a much better(relaxed) riding position. It might have been so since its your first bike.

Congratulations on your purchase anyways, RIDE SAFE!
Old 10th February 2012, 16:12   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If your definition of smoothness is vibration free ride, then have no fears. In the ride on a test machine, on the v1.0, it was revving freely without vibes till 8k RPM. Did not have enough road to take it beyond.
Thanks abhinav.s. That is exactly what i meant. All my bikes used to give up as I am a bit demanding and push them to the limits. I haven't owned a Honda before but have driven my friend's Unicorn and the refinement levels are amazing. Just wanted to make sure that even this Yamaha offers similar refinement.

Quote:
I myself use the R15 for daily rides to the office and a few kms more later in the evening. So in a day i ride almost 80-90 kms. The ride is very smooth and its a free revving engine. It pulls relentlessly till the 10,000 rpm mark. For long bike rides, and especially around the corners, there is no other bike in this price bracket which handles as beautifully as the R15. The bike manages to give a FE of a little above 40 kmpl with decent high revving and highway cruising. The gearshifts are slick and you will not face in false shifting. (I faced it in my Apache RTR 180 - 2010). And the CBR is also a decent contender for long rides. But it depends on how you want to sit on the bike. If you want the tourer like riding position - its the CBR for you. But if you are looking for a race-track like forward bending sporty riding position, go for the R15 2.0.

Now, I would also suggest you to test the KTM Duke (if you are ok with a naked bike). I have been hearing from friends who have taken a test ride that the duke has a brilliant initial acceleration backed up with a grunty exhaust note.
Thanks parrys. I will keep the KTM in mind as well. I'm ok with naked bikes, just that I don't want to be a guinea pig with KTM. Also, Japanese bikes are truly trouble free. So it is - Y R15 2.0 --> H CBR 250R --> K Duke 200 --> H GT 650N.....
Old 10th February 2012, 16:45   #64
BHPian

Congrats on owning one of the sexiest bikes currently on sale! I did ride one a few days back, and the high-end torque is addictive, with my only grouse being that I had to downshift to 1st a lot of times on speed bumps (or it's maybe because I was riding it for the 1st time). If it had a proper rear-seat (which is a must for me) and ABS, I would have surely paid a premium and gone for the R15 without skipping a heartbeat. Agree about you on the riding position too, it's a bit too sporty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
And 1up for LS2 helmets. Simply love the pad design inside the helmet; snug but not tight...
Yes, but they are a bit heavy. Doesn't make a difference for 100 km trips, but I felt them heavy after continuously riding for 7-8 hours.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
with my only grouse being that I had to downshift to 1st a lot of times on speed bumps (or it's maybe because I was riding it for the 1st time).
I'll try to explain that downshifting in my personal opinion.
The problem while testing a new bike, or taking a test ride is that you are always overwhelmed either with the looks, performance or everything. So you revv hard and try and feel good for the moment on the bike. So in such a situation when you see a speed breaker, you tend to hit the brakes hard because you have to loose that extra momentum you gained just to feel good and when it was not necessary.
Once you own the bike, you get used to the engine by riding it daily. So then you know much better how much to brake and when to downshift.
So I guess that may have been the problem with you. And the speed breakers actually seem like spine / arm breakers lately. Small but so high that there is no other option but to downshift and then go slow over it. If you do not switch to 1st, you are just going to scrape the engine belly on the bump.

My personal opinion though. Suggestions on this are welcome
Old 10th February 2012, 18:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys

I'll try to explain that downshifting in my personal opinion.
The problem while testing a new bike, or taking a test ride is that you are always overwhelmed either with the looks, performance or everything. So you revv hard and try and feel good for the moment on the bike. So in such a situation when you see a speed breaker, you tend to hit the brakes hard because you have to loose that extra momentum you gained just to feel good and when it was not necessary.
Once you own the bike, you get used to the engine by riding it daily. So then you know much better how much to brake and when to downshift.
So I guess that may have been the problem with you. And the speed breakers actually seem like spine / arm breakers lately. Small but so high that there is no other option but to downshift and then go slow over it. If you do not switch to 1st, you are just going to scrape the engine belly on the bump.

My personal opinion though. Suggestions on this are welcome
Totally agree with your views. The ride with the r15 was too brief to get to the consequences. I did find the low end torque a bit less as compared to the A180 but after 7k, it is phenomenal. How I wish they get a 200 or 250cc engine in the same bike.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Well, today morning I did a quick top speed check on the bike.
I travel to work from Thane to Shivaji Park. (People familiar with the Eastern Express Highway would know the long stretch at vikhroli)
So, the bike did a 140 kmph. However, it went upto 135 kmph easily but had to crawl - iterally crawl to reach 140. So i guess that is the max ability of the R15. Which is not bad at all though.

[This was done on a completely empty stretch and not at peak traffic hours. Also being a Saturday morning there were very few cars at that time. Ride Safe]

When i was on my way, on the Ghatkopar - Mankhurd bridge; all of a sudden a Tata Manza comes charging on me from behind. I already am in the left lane and i have no where to go. Not that I was riding super slow. (80kmph)
The car then comes to my right and guess what, a cop points out and abuses me and goes charging ahead on everybody else. I guess this is what happens when the usual Armada / Sumo drivers get a car which can actually go fast. I dont think it is clear, but his rear windscreen also has a police plate on the RHS bottom corner.

watch him in action
The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-20120211_083941.jpg

P.S. I clicked this picture just to tell you about this incident. Please do not use your cell phones when on the bike. Not even a headset, since it completely cuts you off from the surrounding (cars honking from behind etc.)
Old 15th February 2012, 07:40   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys
Riding Position
nice ride brother, however I do agree with you on the riding position. I was also smitten by the looks but when I test drove I could not take it forward.

Note from Support - Post edited. Please avoid quoting an entire/lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th February 2012 at 12:33.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Finally, got a call from Yamaha to solve my handle-bar problem. Will keep this thread updated on what they do / don't.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

So I go to the Yamaha workshop in Thane and tell him about the problem.
He is the same guy i who had looked into the issue when I had just taken the delivery of the bike as well. I wonder how this time he accepts that there is a problem and denied before.

Anyway, the problem is that the "T" has a manufacturing defect and also the RHS handle bar is a little higher that the LHS. He says that it is just the issue of the higher and lower position and not the "T"-out. I am going to get the RHS handle bar replaced and will then ask them to solve the "T"-out. I do not understand why these guys at the workshop do not take us (owners) seriously. They seem to think that we own the bike just because we have the money and that we just do not know about the bike and its mechanism.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:36   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have got my bike back from Aims Yamaha, had sent it across so that they solve the handle bar issue.
  • The service advisor tells me that there is no T-out.
  • The RHS clip-on handle bas was faulty and was a little higher than the LHS and that was the main cause of pain i felt while riding on my palms / wrists.
  • The RHS Clip on has been replaced now.
  • I still somehow feel that the "T" is out. One of their mechanic also agreed to this the day i dropped of the bike with them, the next day he denies it by saying that it was just because of the handle bar.
  • 1 more possibility is that it is all in my head now, so i decided to take the bike out of the service station, i told them that i will ride the bike for a week and if i feel that there is an issue - kindly replace my T-out. I am also waiting for my friends R15 2.0 limited edition - white to arrive so that i can have a good comparison on the fault, if any.

The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-handle-alignment.jpg

The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-rhs-clipon.jpg

Pictures below are of the tank pad i have purchased from yamaha. This is an original accessory and retails at INR 620 approximately including all taxes. This has solved the issue of the tank paint getting dull due to my jacket and body rubbing against it.
The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-tank-pad-1.jpg

The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-tank-pad-2.jpg
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pictures below are of the tank pad i have purchased from yamaha. This is an original accessory and retails at INR 620 approximately including all taxes. This has solved the issue of the tank paint getting dull due to my jacket and body rubbing against it.
The tankpad looks unusually large and IMHO spoils the sporty look of the bike. I would suggest you to buy a clear tankpad. It will look hidden and deliver a classy look to the bike.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The tankpad looks unusually large and IMHO spoils the sporty look of the bike. I would suggest you to buy a clear tankpad. It will look hidden and deliver a classy look to the bike.
I agree that its a little bigger in dimensions as compared to the after market radical and colourful designs available. Also, even i do not like "racing" embossed on it. In my opinion it looks stupid.

But why i went for this tank pad is that the material is a hard silicon type, plastic like. So this doesn't peel off when the zip of my jacket rubs against it. I had a soft silicon similar looking but smaller in dimension tank pad which got scraped and so had to take it off.

If you can send me a link of a clear tank pad or an image of what you are exactly talking about would be great.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Aditya,
Do tend to agree with your point, but it does its job overwhelmingly good. It covers a whole lot of area minimizing the exposure. People used to the sleek ones might find this to be a bit of eyesore though but very practical one though.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can send me a link of a clear tank pad or an image of what you are exactly talking about would be great.
Here you go. Take your pick

Keiti Small Clear Look Tankpad SM1230C - 750.00Rs

Keiti Transparent & Logo Tankpad KT1240 - 900.00Rs

Keiti Wholly Transparent Tankpad KT1200 - 900.00Rs

Keiti Yamaha Clear Tankpad TYM-309C - 900.00Rs

Performance Racing Store. Ariete Flames Motorcycle Tank Protector

Performance Racing Store. Ariete CLEAR TANK PAD

Performance Racing Store. Ariete CARBON CLEAR TANK PAD

Performance Racing Store. Ariete TRANSPARENT TANK PAD PUZZLE EVO

Performance Racing Store. Ariete TRANSPARENT TANK PAD PUZZLE EVO

Performance Racing Store. TRANSPARENT TANK PAD PUZZLE EVO

Performance Racing Store. Ariete FLAME BLACK, SILVER TANK PAD

Performance Racing Store. Ariete FLAME TANK PAD PUZZLE EVO

You can order from these websites. Just call them for details. Very friendly and reliable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks