Team-BHP - Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/118403-honda-cbr-250r-answers-some-commonly-asked-questions-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2774156)

Just for the numbers, say, if one takes about 30-35 seconds to reach 145 by shifting at 6K RPM, doing redline shifts will get you (just example, not measured really) between 20-25 seconds.

Did I answer your point or confuse you?

But is it bad for the engine if you shift at near red-line everytime to touch top-whack faster? I can understand someone doing that in a race - perhaps the engine will be used for only that one race, but won't it do long term damage to red-line shift?

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 2774173)
But is it bad...won't it do long term damage to red-line shift?

Naveen, like everything in this Universe, anything too much done & too little done is bad, the engine is no exception :D

Once in a while redlining the engine is MUST, overdoing it or not doing it at all has their own consequences. Optimum regular gear shift is between 6000 to 6500 RPM; if you want a feel of the punch, shift between 6500-7000; if you need more punch its above 7000 RPM. To get an idea, regular city rides...
- Shifting at 5500 is more than sufficient to smoke out most vehicles
- To smoke few posers, shifting at 6500 is sufficient
- Take it to 8500 & beyond & I'm sure you'll leave most people to dust

The wonderful aspect here is that, you're still riding relaxed while most other people are about to loose their steam ;)

Sheel - I think I overlooked your question last time when answering...
Quote:

My take - I always wait for the temp gauge to show the 3 bars before going over 5,000 revs
I tried this now & this is what I found on my CBR...
For RPM shifts between 4500-5000
- Shifts for 1,2,3 is OK (good incase of 1 & 2 as engine is not stressed as well as no signs of knocking)
- Shifts for 4 & 5 is about to knock as the RPM falls down (1000 incase of regular gear shift & 500 incase of quick shift) after shifting.
- Regular shift for 6 is CERTAINLY lugging when shifted at 5000 RPM & barely knocking when shifted quick

Check if this is the same case on your CBR

There is no need to go over 3rd IMO till the temp is normal. Hover around 5,000 revs in 3rd/4th and the bike heats optimally & fast.

^^^ I got what you're trying to say; the 3 bars of temp can also be done that way; riding around 5K RPM for sometime OR riding normally. Both can be done as long as there's less stress on the engine when the vehicle is cool.

Folks, not sure if my query really should come in this thread but I have some questions:

1. It becomes a nuisance having to carry the helmet everywhere I go and I would rather leave it when I park my bike. I have a Nuvo Full face helmet and I am thinking of getting one of these - Lockstraps 901 Helmet Lock | eBay . Does anybody have better ideas? The cable lock which comes with the bike is too small.

2. I would like to install some theft deterring mechanism - what makes more sense, a disc lock/alarm or a Chain cable lock. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeshb (Post 2775606)
It becomes a nuisance having to carry the helmet everywhere I go and I would rather leave it when I park my bike. I have a Nuvo Full face helmet and I am thinking of getting one of these

You've a Nuvo & you want to leave it on the bike? Did you think about vandalism? My sincere suggestion, carry the helmet where ever you go & carry it with PRIDE!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeshb (Post 2775606)
I would like to install some theft deterring mechanism - what makes more sense, a disc lock/alarm or a Chain cable lock

XENA Security Disc-Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters
Alarm Padlock | Alarm Padlocks and Security Alarms,Siren Padlock,Heavy Duty,Disc Lock,Cable Lock,Multi Purpose Padlocks - Kabrus

Both not available in India, but if you can procure them from abroad, there's nothing like it.

n_aditya suggested me Xena; I bought it & never knew peace of mind was provided free along with it :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2776068)
You've a Nuvo & you want to leave it on the bike? Did you think about vandalism?

+1. As aagree has mentioned, your helmet could be locked to the bike when you return after your errands but someone might have stolen the cheek pads and the visor, procuring these alone is not only expensive but cumbersome too considering its a Nuovo. ;)

Quote:

You've a Nuvo & you want to leave it on the bike? Did you think about vandalism? My sincere suggestion, carry the helmet where ever you go & carry it with PRIDE!!!

The biggest problem is 5 star hotels who refuse to allow you to take your helmet inside - I have had quite a few arguments with security and get it placed at the guard room, etc. Just adds to the pain.

Quote:

XENA Security Disc-Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters
Alarm Padlock | Alarm Padlocks and Security Alarms,Siren Padlock,Heavy Duty,Disc Lock,Cable Lock,Multi Purpose Padlocks - Kabrus

Both not available in India, but if you can procure them from abroad, there's nothing like it.

n_aditya suggested me Xena; I bought it & never knew peace of mind was provided free along with it :thumbs up

I like the Xena ones, I will be in Europe next month and would love to pick these up. Which exact model did you get BTW? There are quite a few product ranges adding to the confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2776414)
+1. As aagree has mentioned, your helmet could be locked to the bike when you return after your errands but someone might have stolen the cheek pads and the visor, procuring these alone is not only expensive but cumbersome too considering its a Nuovo. ;)

That is true I would rather carry the helmet on my person, but I just want to have the choice - I would still want to carry the helmet where there is insecure parking but if there is a guard/attendant close-by, I can probably leave it on the bike and tip the guard to take care of the helmet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeshb (Post 2776467)
The biggest problem is 5 star hotels who refuse to allow you to take your helmet inside - I have had quite a few arguments with security and get it placed at the guard room, etc. Just adds to the pain

Lol!!! All you need to do is, call the manager, talk to him calm & say the importance & convey your sentiments & you're not a terrorist; if they don't allow, then, its not worth visiting that hotel ;) I'm sure most of them allow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeshb (Post 2776467)
Which exact model did you get BTW? There are quite a few product ranges adding to the confusion

Go through; just go through the website, there're several videos as well in Youtube. Gain some knowledge & you'll know which one suits you well. If you still don't, call the customer support of Xena & they'll guide you :)

I believe politely asking them to keep it somewhere safe should work and while at it, you may quote some ridiculous price. It works :P

Aargee - Brilliant thread. Appreciate the time & effort that has gone into making this extremely informative thread that is the must read for potential CBR owners.

I do have one query though. You mentioned in one of your posts that the Cramster Colt saddlebags got burnt on your CBR but a few posts later Jalva mentions that he had a very good experience with Cramster saddlebags (though he doesnt mention if it is the Colt or the Stallion and by looking I couldnt make out the difference).

I checked the Cramster website & neither the Colt nor the Stallion mention the CBR250 as a fit. Is it a case of Cramster not having updated their website or is it a case of using the saddlebags that were designed before the launch of the CBR250 which would explain why they got burnt? Could you shed some light on this?

Also in your experience what are most CBR owners using to carry stuff while touring? Tank bags or tail bags or saddlebags?

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 2776548)
Aargee...for potential CBR owners

Did you miss this out reading in xBhp? Infact that is more exhaustive as I can keep editing the posts over there quite often so I get to update that one more frequently than this :(

Quote:

You mentioned in one...looking I couldnt make out the difference)

COLT worked like charm during my RJ trip; the only flip side is that it has to be mounted between the split seats & hence it take the comfort of riding. If you mount between the seats, its perfect. But in my coastal ride trip, I couldn't sacrifice my comfort & fortunately it happened during my return leg

Quote:

I checked the Cramster website...why they got burnt? Could you shed some light on this?

I know you're a fan of them, but still pls don't get offended my friend :) I'm talking the bland truth & nothing but truth. You mean this one...
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-c1.jpg

Quote:

Also in your experience what are most CBR owners using to carry stuff while touring? Tank bags or tail bags or saddlebags?

Sorry that I'm not aware as what other's prefer; the thumb rule what I follow is...
Saddle bag for more than 5-6 days of trip; tail bag for anything upto 3-4 days. Tank bag...I don't use at all; I like to keep my front clean for a good riding experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2776611)
Did you miss this out reading in xBhp? Infact that is more exhaustive as I can keep editing the posts over there quite often so I get to update that one more frequently than this :(

Dont spend too much time there nowadays, just hop onto the riding gear & helmets thread. You can understand why :)

Quote:

COLT worked like charm during my RJ trip; the only flip side is that it has to be mounted between the split seats & hence it take the comfort of riding. If you mount between the seats, its perfect. But in my coastal ride trip, I couldn't sacrifice my comfort & fortunately it happened during my return leg

Quote:

I know you're a fan of them, but still pls don't get offended my friend :) I'm talking the bland truth & nothing but truth. You mean this one...
Attachment 927300

I checked the link Cramster - Travel Gear For The Restless : Motorcycle Luggage, Saddlebags, Magnetic Tankbags, Riding Gear - Jacket, Gloves, Backpacks... today to see if I could understand before posting my question. The bikes they have listed are below
Bajaj Pulsar
Bajaj Avenger
HeroHonda CBZ
HeroHonda Karizma
Honda Unicorn/Shine
Suzuki Fiero
Yamaha Enticer
TVS - Apache
Royal Enfield Classic
with Stock Upswept Exhaust
Kinetic Aquila
Honda Shadow
Yamaha TDM850
Yamaha VMax

Since I didnt see the name on the list, I asked whether it was designed prior to the arrival of the CBR & hence wasnt a proper fit.

Quote:

Sorry that I'm not aware as what other's prefer; the thumb rule what I follow is...
Saddle bag for more than 5-6 days of trip; tail bag for anything upto 3-4 days. Tank bag...I don't use at all; I like to keep my front clean for a good riding experience.

I think I didnt frame my question properly. What I meant to ask was, since the CBR is meant as a sports tourer and you would probably know quite a few CBR owners, both in Madras and elsewhere, have you noticed a trend in the sort of equipment being used on CBRs? Tailbags have picked up quite a bit over the last year or two but arent still univerally accepted. I love the comfort of a tankbag and occassionally borrow saddlebags if necessary.

Wanted to know how CBR owners lug around stuff on long trips to fully make use of the CBR as a comfortable long distance sports tourer. Like I said I havent been too active on the other forum so I havent gone through the CBR ownership thread and dont know too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2776520)
Lol!!! All you need to do is, call the manager, talk to him calm & say the importance & convey your sentiments & you're not a terrorist; if they don't allow, then, its not worth visiting that hotel ;) I'm sure most of them allow.

Mate, it's Delhi-NCR (Gurgaon) you are speaking about :) Nothing works if you are calm! Well, I do go through the routine of speaking to the security manager, supervisor, etc and get it attended to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2776520)
Go through; just go through the website, there're several videos as well in Youtube. Gain some knowledge & you'll know which one suits you well. If you still don't, call the customer support of Xena & they'll guide you :)

OK sire, will have a detailed study. BTW, I am curious to know which ones folks have been using.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2776525)
I believe politely asking them to keep it somewhere safe should work and while at it, you may quote some ridiculous price. It works :P

I do quote a significantly higher price tag and that gives them some sense of responsibility!

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeshb (Post 2779088)
BTW, I am curious to know which ones folks have been using.

I'm using the Xena XX-6 and i guess aargee uses the same model too. It is equipped with a 120dB alarm and is compactly sized to fit under the pillion seat of the ninja and cbr.