Team-BHP - Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/118403-honda-cbr-250r-answers-some-commonly-asked-questions-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2779244)
I'm using the Xena XX-6 and i guess aargee uses the same model too. It is equipped with a 120dB alarm and is compactly sized to fit under the pillion seat of the ninja and cbr.

Thanks for the info, will post which model when I pick up mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 2776844)
What I meant to ask was...of equipment being used on CBRs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 2776844)
Wanted to know how CBR owners...and dont know too much.

Hmm...to be honest, I think they too use COLT for now; what I mean is, if the saddles are mounted between the rider & pillion seat, no matter what you do, there's 100% guarantee that the bag will not even "T" of touch the exhaust. But that's uncomfortable to ride. So last time, I mounted it completely on rear seat & that's how the hole was punched :(

I personally think the RJAY's sport pannier kind of saddle bag will fair much better than anything.

From Chennai, I think its best to consult with people like Xinfii (AFAIK, he uses Rjay's platinum sports bag or something), Ananth, Steveburnside as these guys tour for more than a week's time & they've upswept exhaust. Otherwise most people use tail bags.

For 3-4 days out on the road, I rely upon Nelson Rigg Spirit 30; n_aditya has witnessed that bag & I vouch anywhere for its stability. As a matter of fact I didn't even buy the easy load/unload straps sold for @#$@# $30 or something. Even then, the tail bag faired more than superb in our last trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2774077)
Though I do it too, but don't adhere to RPM; say, I ride above knocking RPM's. Any specific reason?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2774156)
Try this (just once is fine, no big deal, but not often though) - Notice the engine sound difference between 6th gear & 3300 RPM versus 6th gear & 4400 RPM; notice the engine noise & stress & keep that throughout the gears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2774263)
I tried this now & this is what I found on my CBR...
For RPM shifts between 4500-5000
- Shifts for 1,2,3 is OK (good incase of 1 & 2 as engine is not stressed as well as no signs of knocking)
- Shifts for 4 & 5 is about to knock as the RPM falls down (1000 incase of regular gear shift & 500 incase of quick shift) after shifting.
- Regular shift for 6 is CERTAINLY lugging when shifted at 5000 RPM & barely knocking when shifted quick

Hi,
Difference between knocking and lugging?

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2779488)
knocking

6th gear, above lugging; CBR suffocates for fuel; happens most of the times at varied RPM's. Its very minute to notice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2779488)
lugging?

6th gear 60 Kmph

Hi,
6th gear, <4k = lugging, the way I understand it.
Cant understand the knocking part, as mentioned in your previous posts. Are you calling a (perceived) flat spot/ instability knocking?

Regards
Sutripta

Hi,
Frankly speaking, I haven't gone to the depth of understand if its flat spot on the mapping. I'm more of user in testing & experiencing than understanding from engineering front. This was told to me by a good friend of mine who's an automobile engineering by graduate & owns a CBR. Since then I made careful attempts to observe the same & share it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2779361)
For 3-4 days out on the road, I rely upon Nelson Rigg Spirit 30; n_aditya has witnessed that bag & I vouch anywhere for its stability. As a matter of fact I didn't even buy the easy load/unload straps sold for @#$@# $30 or something. Even then, the tail bag faired more than superb in our last trip.

Actually i would recommend the Nelson Rigg over the one i have - Rjays Elite Platinum series. Reason being, the RJays one expands vertically so downside being you can't swing your leg over the bike unless you are really tall. Not much of an issue but for purists this might be valid ;) No issue with stability whatsoever. I have done good speeds while touring with this bag.

On the good side thought it also serves as a nice backrest while stuck in traffic.

The Rjays however has plenty of pockets to stuff small, inconspicuous things such as tissues, sanitizers, puncture kits, etc. and comes with bungee cords to secure the bag to the bike.

Great Compilation answered most of my questions
I have a few more questions..
I intend on owning a CBR250r inquired with the showroom they told me a I would have to book the bike first, and post allotment the waiting period is 5-6 months. :eek:

I have come across a used CBR250R.
Its a July-11 model which has done 700 kms. Its an ABS model.
I have not seen the bike in flesh was supposed to go yesterday but being a 'bandh' postponed it.
I am a bit confused as to what to look out for.
Obvious question to the owner will be as to why just 700kms in a year.
What else do i keep an eye an out for? Any changes that where introduced or incorporated in later models?
Thanks and regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron (Post 2796066)
Great Compilation answered most of my questions
Obvious question to the owner will be as to why just 700kms in a year.

Thanks and regards.

Many like me got the bike just for weekend pleasure rides and not daily routine riding. I use my car for all commutes, and use the bike just for a highway sprint or long ride once a month. Even my odo is just 800kms in a year. In a way it is a good thing to have a lower odo reading, it means the bike has not been abused much on daily traffic runs.

1. Check for any visible scratches on panels and heat shield on exhaust
2. Check his service booklet if he has serviced his bike on time at authorized centers (if not warranty will be void)
3. Check for any accident claims/restorations

Otherwise a one year old bike with just 700 kms is a very nice option.

Brgds,
Vishal

I managed to get out of town for a bit - 50 kms from Gurgaon on the Jaipur Highway with almost full gear to see how I can cope up as I was planning to do a Gurgaon-Chandigarh trip on the bike. I left home at around 4:30 in the afternoon on Saturday and it was about 45 degrees plus. I had my T-GP Plus Air Jacket (with chest and Back inserts) and my T-Shirt was soaking wet by the time I got back home with a stop in between. My bum was quite sore as well. I guess with the weather as bad as it is now, I will skip the Chandigarh trip.

The problem is that my knee guards were rubbing against the tank and I had got a 1 cm2 area on the right side of the tank where it got really bad. I guess I will need some kind of a protective layer. Any suggestions folks?

Also, over the last 4 months I have picked up quite a lot of gear but have only managed to do less than 650 kms. My wife says I am indulging myself and am being a show off :)

BTW, also brought nice panniers (Bagster - French??) while I was in Paris last week and they are quite big (25L expandable to 37L each side). And it cost me 89 Euros. Couldn't get Xena disc locks in the couple of stores I was able to visit and hence got a big heavy lock for the front wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeshb (Post 2812487)
I had my T-GP Plus Air Jacket (with chest and Back inserts) and my T-Shirt was soaking wet by the time I got back home with a stop in between. My bum was quite sore as well. I guess with the weather as bad as it is now, I will skip the Chandigarh trip.

This is very natural. The mesh jacket will keep you cool since it allows maximum air flow while riding. Do keep yourself hydrated by sipping on electrolytes mixed with water. Avoid red bull and any other energy drinks as they will dehydrate you instead (since they are high in caffeine). Munch on chocolates to keep energy levels on tap and eat bananas since they retain water in the body (high on potassium and very good for retaining energy and stamina).

Buy a good pair of riding pants. These have foam padding on the butt and hips region so it will cushion you from having a sore behind. :)

If you are riding long distances and are not a mile muncher yet, take ample breaks. Fatigue sets in rather quickly (and you wouldn't even notice it) since you also need to maintain high level of concentration. Do not skip meals for the fear of getting drowsy. Eat light but never skip meals. You will doze off or lose concentration and it can be dangerous.

Quote:

The problem is that my knee guards were rubbing against the tank and I had got a 1 cm2 area on the right side of the tank where it got really bad. I guess I will need some kind of a protective layer. Any suggestions folks?

Check this out. You can also go to a regular sticker shop and ask the guy to cut a piece of transparent film to the shape required to avoid these scratches.

Quote:

Also, over the last 4 months I have picked up quite a lot of gear but have only managed to do less than 650 kms. My wife says I am indulging myself and am being a show off :)

Showing off your gear (by wearing it) is way cooler than showing off any battle scars. ;)

P.S. Buy a set of riding gears for her and take her for a ride. She's probably envious that you're having so much fun, lol.

Is there any news about facelift / engine tweaked version of this ride in near future?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2812595)
Check this out. You can also go to a regular sticker shop and ask the guy to cut a piece of transparent film to the shape required to avoid these scratches.

Googled quite a bit but couldn't find out a place in Gurgaon where I can get this done. I remember in one of the Ninja 250R threads, somebody had gotten carbon-fiber detailing in the tail I think. Couldn't find that out either. I also remember somebody had some kind of strips on either side of the tank to protect it.

Quote:

Showing off your gear (by wearing it) is way cooler than showing off any battle scars. ;)

P.S. Buy a set of riding gears for her and take her for a ride. She's probably envious that you're having so much fun, lol.

LOL, Hopefully when the weather changes a bit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeshb (Post 2814860)
I remember in one of the Ninja 250R threads, somebody had gotten carbon-fiber detailing in the tail I think. Couldn't find that out either. I also remember somebody had some kind of strips on either side of the tank to protect it.

Both these things were done by me on my ninja.

I got paint protection films which were adhesive based (unlike the 3M ones) installed on the sides of the tank to protect it from scratches due to usage of knee guards. A friend of mine bought a roll of this in USA at pepboys.

I could not get the rear tail panels covered with PPF (as above) and 3M also had not launched the product so had to make do with regular carbon fiber look alike sticker from a sticker shop. After some time it developed a lot of bubbles and looked ugly but did the job of protecting the tail panels well.

Recently i peeled them off and got the 3M ppf's installed on the rear tails. Cost me Rs. 1100/- Expensive compared to normal 300 bucks sticker job but this is not adhesive based and "sticks" to the panels using surface tension. It's just like applying a screen guard on your mobile phone :)

Quote:

Do keep yourself hydrated by sipping on electrolytes mixed with water. Avoid red bull and any other energy drinks as they will dehydrate you instead (since they are high in caffeine). Munch on chocolates to keep energy levels on tap and eat bananas since they retain water in the body (high on potassium and very good for retaining energy and stamina).

Electrolytes and energy bars - this is stuff that ultra-marathon runners would use to keep them going over the seriously challenging situations like 50 - 100 miles per day over hills and mountains. Surely if a motorcycle rider needs this sort of stuff to keep him going, he's doing it wrong!! :D