Team-BHP - Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/118403-honda-cbr-250r-answers-some-commonly-asked-questions-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2757319)
No saar; its from the sensor located at front sprocket.

On all bikes w/o a front wheel cable, the speedo readings are from the front sprocket revolutions?

Hey, I didn't know this, thanks :) Always thought it has sensor @ rear wheel and so it shows crazy readings while spinning up the rear, but when the rear spins, the sprockets (both) will spin up as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2757006)
Mine had 0.0 on the trip and 0 on odo. I saw it being unloaded from the cargo in my presence.

I might be the odd one out ;)

Me too me too! clap:

Putting my two cents. Attaching an extract from the service manual, courtesy a friend and fellow rider Kishore. Have a look at Point Ref #7. That is where the sensor for the speed sits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik (Post 2756990)
Aargee: you might have come across this question before, but didn't see it listed here so asking.
Can the cramster tank bag and the cramster saddle bags be comfortably fitted onto the CBR and will the pillion be able to sit (read put her foot on the rear foot pegs comfortably) ?
Last year, when i checked out the bike i had some misgivings about the rear panels being strong enough hold the saddle bag in place without bending/breaking. Do give your thoughts.

Cramster worked very well for me. Both the bags were very stable through:
- 140+ speeds on highway
- Totally broken/non-existent roads resulting in bumps and jumps
- Aggressive cornering

I am attaching a few angles for you to judge yourself. Did not try with a pillion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalva (Post 2757789)
I am attaching a few angles for you to judge yourself. Did not try with a pillion.

Looks like you've taken the bike high up north. Leh Ladakh perhaps?

Those gloves are really huge so it must be a trip up in the mountains. Do share the trip experiences separately if you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2757803)
Looks like you've taken the bike high up north. Leh Ladakh perhaps?

Those gloves are really huge so it must be a trip up in the mountains. Do share the trip experiences separately if you can.

This was a failed but enjoyable trip to Spiti valley in early-March. :OT We turned back after running into a wall of snow blocking the highway. The army had been trying to clear it for a few days and we only had the 3-day weekend with us. And yes, the gloves and the liner were needed for the cold weather :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalva (Post 2757822)
This was a failed but enjoyable trip to Spiti valley in early-March. :OT We turned back after running into a wall of snow blocking the highway. The army had been trying to clear it for a few days and we only had the 3-day weekend with us. And yes, the gloves and the liner were needed for the cold weather :)

We had gone there in December end and had to turn back near Pooh because of BRO blasting taking place.
On Topic: How was the grip of the rear tyres on the Karchham-Powari section ?
My Michelin Sirac clad 220 slid around a bit when i tried a bit of throttle fun :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik (Post 2757899)
We had gone there in December end and had to turn back near Pooh because of BRO blasting taking place.
On Topic: How was the grip of the rear tyres on the Karchham-Powari section ?
My Michelin Sirac clad 220 slid around a bit when i tried a bit of throttle fun :D

Sir, the Karchham-Powari stretch had no roads for the tyres to grip :) Yes, there was sliding but I wouldn't call it the rubber's fault. The tyre design itself is not suited to that terrain. You need knobby, off-road tyres for that section.

That said, the bike's dynamics, geometry and brakes still let me do large parts of that stretch at 40+kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2757277)
Mine is a March '10 bike sold in Oct '10.

You learned to decode the VIN?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2747918)
Friend of mine tried it once; Result? Samsung gives 6% lesser than Nokia. Not sure what to believe. So we never claim those figures. IMHO, best way is Dyno, but you see, we don't work for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Bajaj :D

Don't see how a dyno would help.

GPS: the speed figure shown on the screen should be accurate enough. (In a proper quality GPS, it is calculated from the Doppler data). However, if you are recording trackpoints, and then doing a ds/ dt calculation, the 1 sec logging interval means one gets very erratic readings.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2758019)
You learned to decode the VIN?

Oops, it isn't '10 but March '11.

Not VIN, but via the manufacturing date mentioned in the smart-card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2757329)
On all bikes w/o a front wheel cable, the speedo readings are from the front sprocket revolutions?

Hey, I didn't know this, thanks :) Always thought it has sensor @ rear wheel and so it shows crazy readings while spinning up the rear, but when the rear spins, the sprockets (both) will spin up as well.

You of all people should've known that ! Big bikes incorporate more mature/car like means, and with twin discs up front, a front wheel driven speedometer could be a packaging problem too. SBKs have had gearbox driven speedometers for decades - and that is also why owners who re-sprocket their bikes , very un-American not to mod one's bike , have to get electronic speedo-correction devices (forgot the name , along with Power Commanders and TREs , one of the most common mods ).

Is the CBR250r available in Silver also, as referred in the FAQ posted by aargee some posts above ? On their site, I see only Red, Black and the new tricolor. I have mostly seen the Red in Chennai - not sure how the Black looks (would it get lost in the crowd ie not stand out?). Tricolor looks so-so on the website, maybe better in metal.

A little OT for this thread, but is there any possibility of Honda bringing in a higher displacement CBR (400cc or so) in the coming months/year ? And if so what might be the expected price, given the pricing of the 250 ? I like the 250 and am seriously considering it, but if a better option could come, would like to hold on & wait for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 2759810)
Is the CBR250r available in Silver also, as referred in the FAQ posted by aargee some posts above ? On their site, I see only Red, Black and the new tricolor. I have mostly seen the Red in Chennai - not sure how the Black looks (would it get lost in the crowd ie not stand out?). Tricolor looks so-so on the website, maybe better in metal.

The silver was discontinued last year.

Quote:

Tricolor looks so-so on the website, maybe better in metal.

A little OT for this thread, but is there any possibility of Honda bringing in a higher displacement CBR (400cc or so) in the coming months/year ? And if so what might be the expected price, given the pricing of the 250 ? I like the 250 and am seriously considering it, but if a better option could come, would like to hold on & wait for it.

One of the guys who joined us on our sunday ride had the new CBR 250R in the HRC color scheme. Looked nice and fresh.

Not sure if any bigger bikes are coming from Honda but the 600FF was tested by an auto mag last year but no confirmed info/news on its entry here (i hope it does come down though). A fully faired 600cc sports tourer will be one of the best bikes to take on the ninja 650 head-on. :)

Why not test ride the ninja 250? Its easily within reach in the used bike market and maintenance is as much as a small car, not obscenely expensive unless you crash (then there is nil depreciation top up covers on your insurance too ;))

Quote:

Is the CBR250r available in Silver also

It was but replaced with HRC or ambulance color :D

Quote:

is there any possibility of Honda bringing in a higher displacement CBR (400cc or so) in the coming months/year?

600 is on the cards for sure, pricing & any other information is not known yet; it should be worth waiting for sure. Go for 600cc if you're looking for a weekend ride, stick to 250 if you're looking for an everyday ride. For the kind of Kms I clock, CBR 250R is very very light on the wallet & its more of shut it & forget it kind of ride.

@Thanks, Aditya. So the tricolour is an option to consider then.

Regarding the Ninja, it is indeed a good option. And does look wicked (in a good way) in green. But it looks too costly/overpriced compared to the Honda (though I know it has its good points over the Honda) and I don't like buying a used bike or car.

@aargee, thanks. Yes, this is purely intended as a weekend ride. Plan to buy it at Kerala to ride during the weekends.