Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 22:13   #1
BANNED

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!

Been three since I got a taste of a high performance bike for a decent price with stunning looks. Over a decade old but still the Karizma (launch in Indian market) still has that charm and still attracts customers for its simplicity, reliability and superior comfort. This thread is dedicated to the ownership of my Karizma.

Before jumping into the ownership I would go back a little into history of how I landed up with this Handsome Beast. My first bike was Honda Unicorn – Version 2 (Stickers on the front cowl, fuel tank etc) which I got when I turned 18 in 2006. Lovely bike and I still miss that smoothness it gave while on the move. In 2009, met with an accident which involved my bike and a LML Vespa with a drunken rider on it who decided to take a right turn without any intimation. The crash damaged the whole front end of the bike and the repair cost incurred was 5000. The accident has taken its toll on the smoothness and feel. Rode for a few months and sold it off to a friend for 35K.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-uni-alloy2.jpg

Now the replacement..

I was determined that my next bike would be the Karizma and started putting tenders at home for its approval. Exactly a month later Dad and I went to Phoenix Motors (Habsiguda) and paid 1000/- towards booking amount for the bike. Only Yellow colour was available readily but was not bent towards it, Went to the service centre below and saw a few Karizma’s. Loved the bike in Black and booked that colour. The Manager told it would take a week’s time from the booking date for the delivery. Agreed and went home all happy.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01469.jpg

A week later came the D – day. Did a PDI and took the delivery of my bike. Overall the buying experience was Good and the staff was really helpful all the way till I was handed over the keys. Got all the free and paid services done at Karuna Motors (Bowenpally) since it was near to my house and had a friend who knows the service manager there.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01468.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th July 2012 at 20:03.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 22:24   #2
BANNED

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma

Coming to the bike, apart from the chain sounds on the move there is nothing to complain about this bike. Highest mileage achieved till date is 46 kmpl and the worst is 33 kmpl. Spare parts are costly as is the bike which has kept the ownerships costs high for me.

Below I am giving all the service charges (6 Free and 3 Paid) incurred till date.

Free Service – 1

Odometer Reading : - 739
Parts/Consumables – Engine Oil (10 W 30) - Rs 220.
Du Pont Teflon Coating – Rs 300.

Free Service – 2

Odometer Reading : - 2076

Free Service – 3

Odometer Reading : - 5040

Free Service – 4

Odometer Reading : - 7032
Parts/Consumables – Engine Oil (10 W 30) - Rs 175 (Prices decreased during this time)

Free Service – 5

Odometer Reading : - 9009
Parts/Consumables – Engine Oil (10 W 30) - Rs 178.

Free Service – 6

Odometer Reading : - 11010
Parts/Consumables – Engine Oil (10 W 30) - Rs 180

Paid Service – 1

Odometer Reading : - 13037
Parts/Consumables – Engine Oil (10 W 30) - Rs 180; Water Washing – Rs 40; Labour – Rs 200.
Total Amount: Rs 420.

Paid Service – 2

Odometer Reading : - 14684
Parts/Consumables – Labour - Rs 200; Water Washing – Rs 40
Total Amount: Rs 250.

Paid Service – 3

Odometer Reading : - 15632
Parts/Consumables – Engine Oil (10 W 30) - Rs 180; Water Washing – Rs 40; Labour – Rs 200.
Total Amount: Rs 420.

Apart from the regular service schedules which said Engine Oil change to be done at every 6000 kms and Air filter element change at 10000kms. I never followed this schedule but changed Engine oil every 5000 kms and Air filter element every 2000 kms. After the 6 free services I changed the Engine from the Stock Hero Honda to Motul 20 W 40. Found a slight difference in smoothness and longevity of the oil.

Parts that I changed outside the service centre :

1) Apache RTR Disc pads: Rs 300. Straight fit to Karizma unit. Better feel and cheaper (Original part from Hero Honda costs 1200). It’s been 14000 kms since I had installed the RTR brake pads and still has little life left.

2) Changed to front fender since it developed a crack near the mounting point when the bike had fallen from the main stand – Costs incurred Rs 800.

3) Steering handle had also been changed during the same time which costed Rs 180.

4) Clutch Cable – Rs 60.

5) Throttle cable A – Rs 64

6) Throttle Cable B – Rs 70.

7) NGK Iridium Spark Plugs – Rs 500.

8) Roots VibroMini horn – Rs 400 (Sold in pair). The stock horn and wiring retained still.

After a year into ownership I decided to change the stock rear tire (MRF) to a better one since the stock never gave me confidence under normal braking and kept fish tailing under hard braking. After little R & D decided to put Michelin M45 4.00 x 18 - 64 S (110/90 x 18) which costed Rs 1900. This is a tube type one. Grip levels in sand, wet roads has improved a lot and enhanced my confined too. Paisa Vasool (I mean total VFM).

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th July 2012 at 22:34.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 22:33   #3
BANNED

Coming to the present condition of the bike - it’s sitting idle 6 days a week and used only on Sundays since I use the car to work. Throttle response is still the same as new but post 80 km/h the engine struggles and takes its own tile to touch 100kmph and above. Not able to dedicate much time towards the bike to solve the problems. The left and right side cowl have broken and could not be replaced as there were no spares available.

Need help now as the battery (Amco) is dead totally and needs a replacement. Can you guys suggest which one to go with as a replacement? Thanks.

That’s it for now. Thanks for reading this report. As time passes I shall be updating this thread with any developments on the bike. For now let the pictures do the talking.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01460.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01463.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01465.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01466.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01470.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01471.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01473.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01480.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc02414.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-dsc02416.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 17:47   #4
BANNED

Coming to the BIKE!

Looks

This is still the best looking bike from many angles in spite being a decade old. The front fairing is long needs to get used to riders who are not used to the front headlight not moving. Yes this was my problem for the first few days till I got used to it as I migrated from the unicorn. The bike had to turn fully to focus its headlight. With the twin tail lamps and high rear part the look from the side was stupendous with the raised angle of the silencer taking my eyes off it became difficult. I have managed to scrape the fairing a few times with the other road users when I was new and was not able to judge the correct distance. The front fairing the main part where the rattles are in the whole bike. Not able to understand how to stop these rattles.

Engine

Ahh! There comes the gem of the whole bike which produces more Torques than Power. This factor yields in better ride ability and relaxed cruising at speeds between 80 – 100 kmph. I have never felt any strain in the engine during these speeds for any number of kilometers. Now yes, there is harshness in the engine after 90 kmph. The throttle response till date is very sharp and responds to any input given by the right wrist in any gear at any point of time. The whole setup is stock till date except for change from stock spark plug to iridium ones. The change and feel to throttle response is noticeable but NOT that great. Mileage wise I have not found any increase though still the same as before. Keeping up with cars is no problem in this black beauty!

Fuel Efficiency

Not the thing to be checked on a performance bike, but still for the heck of it. The best I got till date was 48 kmpl and the worst I have is 33 kmpl. Most usage is within the city with stop – go traffic. Used the thankful – thankful method. Only thing that doesn’t get into my head is those 8 fuel bars. How much does each of that bar represent the amount fuel. Generally driving is keeping the bike speeds between 60 – 70 kmph.

Gearbox

Was hard in the first 1000 kms as is with any new bike but after the oil change at 500 kms the shifting was positive and finding neutrals were easy. No false neutrals till date. Only hitch I have found was with the length of the gear shifter. Would have been great if it was a touch longer than stock (this is my personal opinion). In certain occasions when cruising near 100+ kmph the engine felt harsh and crying for another gear but when looking at the RPM meter it shows 5500. I’m just using 55% of the power but why this harshness?

Brakes

With 270mm large front disc brakes the bite was low as is with the rear drums. The people at HH call this as progressive braking. They say this was done to protect the rider from skidding the bike under emergency braking. I presume this also saves the fairing from cracking as it would hit the front mudguard often on braking. On the whole satisfactory is what I would rate them. After the change from stock to RTR disc pads I have found the brakes to be sharp and responsive (hope this feeling is not psychological).

Seating

One of the most comfortable seats I have found in the bikes I have ridden till date. Not too soft or too hard. The angle of the seats with respect to the handle bar and the foot pegs is ideal for highway trips as well as hooligan driving. No back pains or wrist pains I have got in my ownership. The rear seat requires a special mention for its space. The passenger does not sit on the drivers head. The space between the two is good enough and on hard braking the passenger doesn’t slide into the driver. Only that short people find it difficult to climb the rear seat because of its height and I get cursed for this most of times as most of friends are medium height.

Ride and Handling

Soft and gliding is what I feel with the stock suspension setup. With the tire change to a larger profile the handling and braking has improved. Water channeling out is much better in the Michelins than the MRF. With the long wheelbase stability has never been an issue but negotiating U-Turns is a pain in tight areas.

Looks,
Engine capability,
Headlights (always same brightness),
Instrumentation console (Feels like a Ferrari – I hope you guys get by this),
Riding position (Sporty yet Relaxed).

Dislikes

Brake feel and bite,
Chain sounds,
Expensive spare parts,
Stock battery (Amco).
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 20:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!

Great review of a wonderful bike, reminds me of the days I owned a Karizma, it was the best bike I ever owned.

Over a period of time, they have drastically improved the Mileage of this bike with very minor compromise on the performance which is a welcome change given the current fuel prices.

Why do you dislike the Battery? As for the chain sound, I liked it, it was kind of a signature sound
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 22:09   #6
BHPian

Fantastic report.

I am trying to find a replacement for my Karizma, test rode many but nothing comes close to the refined engine of my Karizma in the same price range. Mine is 1st gen and going absolutely strong.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 00:14   #7
BHPian

OMG your zma looks too good man. Congrats. I own 2005 zma.

Congrats for having a passion for your bike. many people have great bikes but lack the passion. they just don't know the happiness it gives.

Battery
Go for Amaron 9Ah maintainance free battery (1600/- approx).
Zma comes with 7ah but the compartment can easily accommodate the 9ah battery
Just bend the metal plate that holds the battery in place.
My zma has the same battery. In fact all 3 of my bikes, car have Amron batteries.
Many friend have bought same batteries for their bikes on my recommendations and are very happy.
Dealer might not advise you to put 9Ah battery in Zma, but trust me and do it. Don't go for Exide at all. Next best is Tata Green
FYI Amron doesn't have 7Ah battery

Front Brake
Also if you haven't changed the brake oil, replace it with TVS DOT4 oil. It's almost transperent in colour, whereas DOT3 is red.

TVS RTR brake pads are good ones, indeed. but they are bit hard. check the condition of your disk.

100 kph at 5500
You are not using 55% power at 5500rpm. the max power comes at 7000rpm

Oil
About harshness in engine, i think you can relate it to oil drain period
Mineral oil ( cost 180- 250 ) 2000KM recommended any 10w30
semi Synth (cost 400-500) 3000KM recommended Motul 5100 or Castrol Power1
Fully synthetic (cost 800-900) 4000-4500 KM recommended Motul 7100 or 300v or castrol power1 racing

Don't put xW50 unless you live in very hot area (atm temps cross 40C).
xW40 is good enough

AFAIK You are using mineral oil. for this 6000KM is too much.

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2012 at 18:22. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language please. Gr8 = Great
motionfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 17:08   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Great review of a wonderful bike, reminds me of the days I owned a Karizma, it was the best bike I ever owned.

Over a period of time, they have drastically improved the Mileage of this bike with very minor compromise on the performance which is a welcome change given the current fuel prices.

Why do you dislike the Battery? As for the chain sound, I liked it, it was kind of a signature sound
Thanks Buddy!

This bike still puts the sales chart on fire being priced between 78 - 85K all over India where as the competitors are 1 Lakh +. An absolute VFM this bike is.

The battery I dislike because of the cold start problems. Saying this the first start of the bike is done using the kick starter and Electric is used after warming up. Earlier it never started fast.

Since I migrated from the Honda Unicorn which was a perfectly silent bike from all sides, but the Karizma has this chain sound.

"Kucch paane ke liye kucch khona padta hai!" - To gain something you have to loose something.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Fantastic report.

I am trying to find a replacement for my Karizma, test rode many but nothing comes close to the refined engine of my Karizma in the same price range. Mine is 1st gen and going absolutely strong.
Have you done the TD of CBR 250R? Try it. My eyes are set on that as a replacement but the On road prices is holding me back.

I don't know why but I call this engine having a diesel engine characteristics. Meaning - higher torques than power produced which enhances the driveability. Pulls from low speeds without jerking (NOT lugging).

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
OMG your zma looks too good man. Congrats. I own 2005 zma.

Congrats for having a passion for your bike. many people have gr8 bikes but lack the passion. they just don't know the happiness it gives.

Battery
Go for Amron 9Ah maintainance free battery (1600/- approx).
Zma comes with 7ah but the compartment can easily accommodate the 9ah battery
Just bend the metal plate that holds the battery in place.
My zma has the same battery. In fact all 3 of my bikes, car have Amron batteries.
Many friend have bought same batteries for their bikes on my recommendations and are very happy.
Dealer might not advise you to put 9Ah battery in Zma, but trust me and do it. Don't go for Exide at all. Next best is Tata Green
FYI Amron doesn't have 7Ah battery

Front Brake
Also if you haven't changed the brake oil, replace it with TVS DOT4 oil. It's almost transperent in colour, whereas DOT3 is red.

TVS RTR brake pads are good ones, indeed. but they are bit hard. check the condition of your disk.

100 kph at 5500
You are not using 55% power at 5500rpm. the max power comes at 7000rpm

Oil
About harshness in engine, i think you can relate it to oil drain period
Mineral oil ( cost 180- 250 ) 2000KM recommended any 10w30
semi Synth (cost 400-500) 3000KM recommended Motul 5100 or Castrol Power1
Fully synthetic (cost 800-900) 4000-4500 KM recommended Motul 7100 or 300v or castrol power1 racing

Don't put xW50 unless you live in very hot area (atm temps cross 40C).
xW40 is good enough

AFAIK You are using mineral oil. for this 6000KM is too much.
Regarding the discs and the brake oil. I have change the disc oil every 10K and flush out completely with a new one. A week back just came back to the original ZMA disc pads which costed me 1100.

Engine Oil: I shall try changing the oil every 20K.
Old 25th July 2012, 19:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Expensive spare parts,
Spares are expensive, agreed, but they are surely very long lasting. That's what I like because it is a fairly trouble free bike even after about 6 years of ownership.

Quote:
Have you done the TD of CBR 250R? Try it. My eyes are set on that as a replacement but the On road prices is holding me back.
Nope, thank you. I do not like the idea of using sports bikes for daily commutes for their uncomfortable driving stance. Sad part is they are just mushrooming like anything and no comfortable bikes with large engines on offer. Also NO LEG GUARD on CBR. For me it is absolute necessity in city traffic.
Old 26th July 2012, 14:21   #10
BHPian

Well my friend, we have one thing in common. Both have graduated from a Unicorn to a Karizma. I was handed the key of the Unicorn by my brother during engineering. We still use the bike and the engine's an absolute masterpiece. Refined enough to keep you stress free yet pwoerful enough to keep loudmouths at bay.

I got the Karizma last year despite the plethora of bikes a la CBR and Ninja. It was always a dream to own a ZMA. To date, not much has been spent on maintanance, apart from the consumables. However, I guess it's when you have a fall that you realise this is a premium bike.

It cost me close to 20k to replace most of the fairing bits and an alloy. Been only 2 days since I've taken back possession of my bike and looking forward to a lot of miles on it. Ride safe.
Old 26th July 2012, 16:35   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Spares are expensive, agreed, but they are surely very long lasting. That's what I like because it is a fairly trouble free bike even after about 6 years of ownership.

Nope, thank you. I do not like the idea of using sports bikes for daily commutes for their uncomfortable driving stance. Sad part is they are just mushrooming like anything and no comfortable bikes with large engines on offer. Also NO LEG GUARD on CBR. For me it is absolute necessity in city traffic.
A CBR for a daily communte would be a little difficult as you said regarding the seating position which is a little too forward bias. If ONLY the CBR had the stance of ZMA it would be a very good bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Well my friend, we have one thing in common. Both have graduated from a Unicorn to a Karizma. I was handed the key of the Unicorn by my brother during engineering. We still use the bike and the engine's an absolute masterpiece. Refined enough to keep you stress free yet pwoerful enough to keep loudmouths at bay.

I got the Karizma last year despite the plethora of bikes a la CBR and Ninja. It was always a dream to own a ZMA. To date, not much has been spent on maintanance, apart from the consumables. However, I guess it's when you have a fall that you realise this is a premium bike.

It cost me close to 20k to replace most of the fairing bits and an alloy. Been only 2 days since I've taken back possession of my bike and looking forward to a lot of miles on it. Ride safe.
Sorry buddy to know about the fall and the repairs done on the ZMA. Hope the bike is back and as new as possible. Do you have the same colour too?
Old 26th July 2012, 16:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry buddy to know about the fall and the repairs done on the ZMA. Hope the bike is back and as new as possible. Do you have the same colour too?
Thanks Anurag. The bike's been restored as much as possible, but my confidence levels have taken a beating after the fall. Riding the Unicorn was fine, but my first ride post restoration on the ZMA brought back some horrid images. A good long ride should sort this out though.

Yup, I too have black, but the 2011 model, so graphics are different.

Last edited by tejus.s : 26th July 2012 at 16:56.
Old 26th July 2012, 16:59   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Anurag. The bike's been restored as much as possible, but my confidence levels have taken a beating after the fall. Riding the Unicorn was fine, but my first ride post restoration on the ZMA brought back some horrid images. A good long ride should sort this out though.

Yup, I too have black, but the 2011 model, so the graphics are different.

Aah! Good to know your fine and bike too. Regarding your confidence levels being down, no problem. get back on the ZMA and drive it long and you wont be surprised to be back on track. We learn from our mistakes and take car of not repeating them. Sometimes accidents happen even when it's not your fault.

Attaching two images of my Unicorn after the accident. Have to thank gods for the Leg guard else i guess would be using the walking sticks today. Special thanks to the MOD I had done by changing the spoked wheel to the Hero Honda CBZ's alloy.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-image.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-image001-2.jpg

I could ride the bike back home and to the service centre.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Aah! Good to know your fine and bike too. Regarding your confidence levels being down, no problem. get back on the ZMA and drive it long and you wont be surprised to be back on track. We learn from our mistakes and take car of not repeating them. Sometimes accidents happen even when it's not your fault.
Yup, I'll be a safer and better rider once my confidence levels are up there. Your bike seems to have taken quite a beating (Unicorn). Good to know now things are fine.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:10   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Yup, I'll be a safer and better rider once my confidence levels are up there. Your bike seems to have taken quite a beating (Unicorn). Good to know now things are fine.

The whole front fairing, front suspension, handle bars, cone set, brake and clutch levers was changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks