Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 14:28   #1
BHPian

Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

My wife and I felt the need to own a gearless scooter for our short run abouts in the city.

After a lot of deliberation and a thorough analysis of all of the scooters available in the Indian market as on October 2012, I put down my money on the Yamaha Ray.

The Yamaha Ray being a newly launched scooter in the Indian market had no reviews or test reports on its performance, behavior and dynamics except for some of the first impression reviews.

Based on my thorough analysis over the last 2 to 3 weeks (given the Dasara Holidays) and several test rides across all available scooters in the market, I found the Yamaha Ray to be a mixed bag with goodies pulled in from its counterparts with the only disappointment being a low ground clearance of 128mm.

After being satisfied that the Yamaha Ray does not bottom out on our Indian Roads given its low ground clearance after several rides on it with different sized pillion riders, I went ahead and took the plunge.

After making the full payment, I took delivery of the Yamaha Ray this wet wet morning in Bangalore (Thanks to the cyclone Nilam).

The scooter was bought from Perfect Riders. Mr Murali the Manager has been extremely courteous and supportive through the entire purchase experience. Mr. Yousuf has also been of great support in conducting the PDI and also explaining some features of the scooter.

The Manager Mr. Murali was grateful in offering me a free wash for the scooter when I returned for the registration number, as the roads were wet and the skies had let loose the wet spray.

Would like to mention that the overall dimensions of the Ray are LXBXH 1835X675X1075 and this is on par with the competition. The wheel base is 1270mm and this is far better than some of the other scooters in the market today.

The engine has 2 valves and the best in class (Vespa LX 125) has 3 on offer, this distinguishes the engine from rest of its competition.

The carburetor on the Ray works on the principle of vacuum rather than the pressure created due to suction/intake. This again helps in stretching the litre of fuel.

In terms of power the Ray is sure a laggard when it comes to open stretches on the highway with its 7.1PS@7500rpm (The Activa/Dio when launched had a 102cc engine with an output of 7.1PS@7000rpm, now with its 109cc engine throws out 8PS@7000rpm), however its response to the throttle within the city and in traffic is on par with any of its competitors.

The fuel tank capacity of 5L though on par with its competitors is less, should have been larger.

The electricals are on par with the competition and the power transmission is through the variable transmission which is found on other scooters offered in our country.

The tyres are the same on any other scooter offered in our country, however should have been tubeless rather than with tube.

Given the fact that both my wife and I would be using the scooter, I chose the black color which sure doesn't look feminine in any manner or form. It does definitely appeal to both the sexes. (Guess Yamaha with their Gender biased positioning have sure bitten off a big chunk of their prospective male customers, a bad marketing strategy unless they come up with another scooter positioned for the boys with more grunt in the next month or two)

The fit and finish of the scooter is fabulous. The panels fit perfectly, the plastics feel and look good, however they are not the best, the handle feels just about right, the grips are great with the motorbike like brake levers. The other disappointment was that the Ray does not come with the brake lock, which would pose a problem when parked on the side stand on a slope

The scooter slips onto the center stand with relative ease and comfort, unlike the Access, Activa or the Dio. The wheels are just the usual 4 point mount ones, would have looked good with mag wheels instead of the disc like looks.

The Seat is firm and contoured. It has a great dotted design and feels nice to sit on. The seating position/posture is just about right. Given the low stance of the scooter, you can bottom both your feet on the ground. My height is 5'7" and I found it very comfortable.

The storage under the seat though broad is mere basic and is about 10 to 15 % less than the competition, however the small cubby holes and front hook are a saving grace for some small packages on the go.

The suspension is far superior than what the competition offers and it absorbs all the rough patches, speed breakers and the potholes without breaking the slightest of sweat and without bottoming out.

The foot board has a nice finish to it, however it does narrow down a bit when compared to competition.

The rear of the bike is smart with the transparent tail lights and long sleeve of the rear mudguard. It has an inner one and an outer one which is a smart move to protect loose fitted clothing

The scooter keys are very basic and carry no frills. The key hole is basic with the spring loaded shutter. There is nothing fancy about it.

Name:  DSCF0560t13.GIF
Views: 30542
Size:  79.1 KB

The super cool suspension and seat

Name:  DSCF0541t1.GIF
Views: 32099
Size:  63.7 KB
Name:  DSCF0557t11.GIF
Views: 29307
Size:  79.8 KB

The not so cool storage space.
Name:  DSCF0553t8.GIF
Views: 31564
Size:  76.4 KB

The nice feel of the break levers and the missing brake lock
Name:  DSCF0558t12.GIF
Views: 29376
Size:  70.5 KB

The super fit and finish of the engine bay, the good feeling of the hand grip and the acceptable plastic panels

Name:  DSCF0556t10.GIF
Views: 31591
Size:  86.6 KB
Name:  DSCF0551t6.GIF
Views: 28606
Size:  79.9 KB
Name:  DSCF0552t7.GIF
Views: 28659
Size:  74.5 KB

It doesn't bottom out even with its disappointing ground clearance

Name:  DSCF0555t9.GIF
Views: 28493
Size:  71.5 KB

The nicely integrated headlight

Name:  DSCF0548t4.GIF
Views: 30225
Size:  79.4 KB

The nicely finished footboard, seems a bit narrow when compared to the likes of Dio and Access, but very much on par with the other scooters in the market

Name:  DSCF0547t3.GIF
Views: 29516
Size:  79.3 KB

The simple and functional speedometer cluster

Name:  DSCF0542t2.GIF
Views: 36587
Size:  79.5 KB

The smart stance, sharp lines and good looks of the Ray are highly appealing

Name:  DSCF0541t1.GIF
Views: 32099
Size:  63.7 KB
Name:  DSCF0549t5.GIF
Views: 32335
Size:  75.4 KB

More on my riding experience to follow over the days, weeks and months to come

Note from Support - Only TWO smileys per post. Please read this before posting any further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 31st October 2012 at 14:45. Reason: excessive smileys deleted.
yikes6633 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
The tyres are the same on any other scooter offered in our country, however should have been tubeless rather than with tube.
The other disappointment was that the Ray does not come with the brake lock, which would pose a problem when parked on the side stand on a slope
The storage under the seat though broad is mere basic and is about 10 to 15 % less than the competition,
The foot board has a nice finish to it, however it does narrow down a bit when compared to competition.
@Yikes

Congratulations on the Ray.

Would like to know how is the road grip of the tyres since the weather was wet. Did it hold strong against the slippery surfaces/water logged potholes? Does the storage hold a full face helmet? I felt the foot board is too narrow and surely no space will be left if a child is standing.

Do let us know your riding experience and the service intervals for the scooter - is it any different from existing scooters. Did you opt for the extended warranty? How much does it cost? Whats the OTR cost of the scooter? Sorry - asking too much information

Happy mile crunching and drive safely, Use helmet always.
Old 31st October 2012, 16:16   #3
BHPian

Re: Yamaha and it's Ray of hope - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Yikes

Congratulations on the Ray.

Would like to know how is the road grip of the tyres since the weather was wet. Did it hold strong against the slippery surfaces/water logged potholes? Does the storage hold a full face helmet? I felt the foot board is too narrow and surely no space will be left if a child is standing.

Do let us know your riding experience and the service intervals for the scooter - is it any different from existing scooters. Did you opt for the extended warranty? How much does it cost? Whats the OTR cost of the scooter? Sorry - asking too much information

Happy mile crunching and drive safely, Use helmet always.
The scooter is very well planted on the road and it inspires a lot of confidence. In the past I've owned the TVS Champ, Kinetic Honda, Hero Puch, Hero Honda, Honda Activa followed by the Bajaj Pulsar. The Ray sure is excellent in this department and I would give it full points.

The storage is a tad smaller (15.5 lts) and it cannot accommodate a full faced helmet.

The foot board starts off and then then narrows down. The design of the front fenders make it seem narrower than it seems. However when compared to the likes of Dio and Access the foot board is a tad narrow. With a child standing in the front on the foot board, the space will be cramped due to the front fenders.

The scooter comes with 2 years or 24000kms warranty (whichever is earlier) and the service intervals are at an interval of every 3 months (recommended by the manufacturer). There are 5 free services, followed by alternate paid and free service upto the prescribed 11 services.

The scooter costs a good INR 55,168/- on road.

The scooter is a mixed bag.

What you'd like:
- Suspension (Floats over rough roads)
- Acceleration upto 60kms/hr
- Sharp Lines and finish
- Seating position
- Ride quality & its nimbleness
- Road grip and low speed maneuverability
- Responsive throttle
- Its practicality

What you'd dislike:
- Low ground clearance
- the simple functional speedo console
- Under seat storage space
- Quality of plastics, could have been better
- Narrow foot board
- Gender biased positioning
yikes6633 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 16:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

I actually liked the V styling front lights, however one thing which puzzles me is the path of the light beam will not follow the direction of the scooter isnt it? Had you considered this? The rear lights are not that inspiring and the same can be said about the very basic metre console. Digital odometer was one of the wishlist. Does the Ray have the shutter lock feature to prevent key insertion? Whats the mileage promised by Yamaha?
Old 31st October 2012, 16:32   #5
BHPian

The V styling of the front lights is very similar to the Dio. From a distance its very difficult to identify the Ray from the Dio. The path of the light is wide spread on low beam, however its more diffused when on high beam. Its very similar to the Dio.

The rear lights are bright and I was very impressed by the fit and finish of it. It enhances the rear stance of the scooter.

The basic meter is a sure let down. It should have offered a digital odometer.

The key holes are provided with the shutter locks and the mileage under test conditions is 62.1kms/ltr, however the dealerships have claimed a mileage of 45-50kms/ltr on the test scooters.
Old 31st October 2012, 17:40   #6
BHPian

Congrats on your ownership! Awaiting a detailed review down the line.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 1st November 2012, 07:25   #7
BHPian

Fantastic. Probably the first ownership review of the Yamaha Ray that I have come across online. Will be glued to this thread. Please do update on your ride, positives - negatives as you come across any.

I am on the lookout for a 2 wheeler probably in a month's time and this (along with the Suzuki Access) makes my shortlist. I am looking for good ride comfort and decent mileage. So hopefully the Ray makes a case for itself. Am surprised with Yamaha's positioning of this, as you mentioned, as it would have done well as a unisex bike with its black, blue and gray colors.

BTW, can you provide a split-up of the on-road cost and what accessories did you opt for along with the bike? Also, any waiting period?

Last edited by sachinayak : 1st November 2012 at 07:28.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Fantastic. Probably the first ownership review of the Yamaha Ray that I have come across online. Will be glued to this thread. Please do update on your ride, positives - negatives as you come across any.

I am on the lookout for a 2 wheeler probably in a month's time and this (along with the Suzuki Access) makes my shortlist. I am looking for good ride comfort and decent mileage. So hopefully the Ray makes a case for itself. Am surprised with Yamaha's positioning of this, as you mentioned, as it would have done well as a unisex bike with its black, blue and gray colors.

BTW, can you provide a split-up of the on-road cost and what accessories did you opt for along with the bike? Also, any waiting period?
The split up of the costs is as follows:

Ex showroom inclusive of VAT at Bangalore - 46, 818/-
Comp Insurance - 1,100/-
Handling Charges & PDI - 2000/-
Road Tax - 5,250/-

Total cost is 55,168/-

The dealership (Perfect Riders) offered me a free beeper and teflon coating of the bike.

I have taken this scooter without any accessories and do intent to fit the foot mat and the saree foot rest in the coming weeks.

Due to the incessant rains in Bangalore over the past 2 days I haven't been able to check out the mileage, will do so over the weekend and post updates.

I was in a dilemma on which gearless scooter and after a thorough analysis went ahead with the Ray.

The front and rear crash guards offered by Yamaha for the Ray are not very aesthetic and I do not intend to get them fitted.

Last edited by yikes6633 : 1st November 2012 at 09:47.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:49   #9
ike
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ray. Ride safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
The scooter was bought from Perfect Riders. Mr Murali the Manager has been extremely courteous and supportive through the entire purchase experience. Mr. Yousuf has also been of great support in conducting the PDI and also explaining some features of the scooter
[/b]

I went to the local yamaha dealer to check out the scooter as soon as it was launched and the dealer was really indifferent, to say the least. I waited in the showroom for quite some time and nobody was bothered to attend to me and nobody even asked what I wanted. I did not even get a brochure. Maybe it is because this is the only yamaha dealership in town. I have written to yamaha about my experience. Hope they do something about it.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Congratulations on your new ray. Ride safe.

I went to the local yamaha dealer to check out the scooter as soon as it was launched and the dealer was really indifferent, to say the least. I waited in the showroom for quite some time and nobody was bothered to attend to me and nobody even asked what I wanted. I did not even get a brochure. Maybe it is because this is the only yamaha dealership in town. I have written to yamaha about my experience. Hope they do something about it.
@ike, sorry to hear about your experience at the dealership, however Perfect Riders in Bangalore on KK road has courteous and very supportive staff. There are a few other dealerships of Yamaha that I visited, Bangalore Wheels, where my experience was fair.

I've also heard and read that the Yamaha Dealership network is being expanded and each of the dealerships is getting a facelift to enhance customer experience and customer focus.

Just wanted to update that we bought a half face helmet today to suit my wife and boy! I was glad that the helmet comfortably fitted into the Ray's under seat storage compartment.

Last edited by yikes6633 : 1st November 2012 at 17:18.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 22:38   #11
BHPian

Came across some detailed pictures of the Yamaha Ray online which are far better than the pictures that I have taken. Here is the link http://www.autocarindia.com/Gallery/...ery,1.aspx#pic

Cyclone Nilam has still cast her spell over Bangalore and I haven't been able to take the Ray over a long ride or even check the mileage.

Hoping to do this once the weather Gods calm down
Old 1st November 2012, 23:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I actually liked the V styling front lights, however one thing which puzzles me is the path of the light beam will not follow the direction of the scooter isnt it? H
This bike looks like a copy of the Dio - and they have copied over the biggest drawback of the Dio - light beam does not go in the direction of the scooter. Very bad during turns in city condition.

I don't see any USP of this bike except for Yamaha brand name.

BTW: The new Dio looks very good in white.
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:27   #13
BHPian

Today the weather Gods have been kind enough. With no signs of any drizzle or rain I decided to take the Ray out on a spin.

Engine and Transmission:

I put the scooter on the Center stand, engaged the choke and gave the kick start lever one firm push and the peppy engine came to life. I let it warm up and then disengaged the choke. After a few small revs off I went.

The engine has a lot of pep and I did not realize how quickly the scooter reached 40kms/hr. I did not exceed the 40 - 42kms/hr mark through my entire ride of 22kms this morning as its a new scooter and the engine needs to be run in well.

At the traffic signals and stop and go traffic in Bangalore the scooter takes off very well with a little flip of the throttle. There is enough punch in the engine to satisfy city commute with 2 riders comfortably. The scooter picks up speed pretty well. The engine does seem to have a good mid range and it did very well accelerating between speeds of 15kms/hr to 40kms/hr. I did not push the bike any further, however will do so on completion of the running in period.

The good thing about the engine is that it sounds like it 'wants to go'. I took it over some steep inclined roads in our city and it didn't show any signs of strain, it zipped up smoothly with its linear power/torque delivery.

The CVT transmission is on par with any of the scooters offered and the setting or tuning of it is perfect. At no time I felt the engine had to be strained or the throttle needed to be opened up beyond 1/3 of its rotation.

The engine sounds smooth and buttery, however I definitely feel that the honda engine is far more refined.

Vibrations and Ride:

Between the 0kms.hr to 40kms/hr there were absolutely no vibrations felt whatsoever. Will need to push it further to see if there are any vibrations over 40kms/hr.

The ride is slightly stiff in the front however the Ray scores full points in its maneuverability. With every turn I took and with every steer, it inspired a lot of confidence. I took a couple of sharp low turns/U turns without realizing that it were too low. At times I felt that I should keep my foot down, however the scooter curved in low and then straightened out. It's very well balanced with superior ride and handling and all of this on the wet roads of Bangalore given the rains over the past 2 days.

The suspension feels just like it would on any of the 100 - 125cc motorbikes. They definitely float over rough roads and absorb shocks very well. To ensure it does not bottom out, I bravely but cautiously (at low speed of 7 - 10kms/hr) intentionally rode into a couple of potholes filled with muddy rain water. These potholes would have been of 4 to 4.5 inches deep and the scooter dumped into them and then with the slight twist of the throttle climbed out of them. On two occasions I had to keep my feet down after entering into large potholes and then off I went out of them onto smoother tarmac with a slight twist of the throttle.

The seating position is good and you can adjust your position by shifting yourself on the well contoured seat. I haven't ridden on the pillion seat as yet and will update my experience once I do.

Braking:

On the wet roads I did break many a times through traffic and at signals. I also went into a quieter road and tried braking hard a couple of times. The scooter felt sure footed and stopped with precision each time.

I did try braking with only the front brakes and then only the back brakes. I did not feel comfortable at all using only the front brakes (not that I do, just wanted to check out the braking and the handling of the scooter). The rear brakes feel more precise. On using both brakes simultaneously my confidence was oozing.

I haven't ridden it extensively enough neither have I experienced panic braking, however will update as and when I experience the same. However I feel with proper braking technique one will go around these situations with confidence on this scooter. One should acknowledge the dangers of biking on slippery and rough surfaces and never let the scooter get out of the comfort zone of ones own riding capabilities.

General:

The overall impression at this point is very positive. The horn sounds sharp and shrill. Just out of curiosity I checked out the dimensions of the Activa and Ray with a hand held tape. The distance from one end of the grab bar to the other on the Activa is 25.5 inches and on the Ray is 25.25 inches. The foot board on the Activa in front (steering side) is about 17 inches and on the Ray is 15 inches.

My wife is very happy with the Ray and has thanked me countless times so far.

More to come as I experience and learn anything about my riding experience.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:08   #14

@yikes6633 Nice initial impressions on your ray!
I took the delivery of a blue ray 2 weeks back. Its light weight and flick-able nature impressed me the most.
Did not get a chance to ride around extensively. Hardly clocked 100 kms.
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelN View Post
@yikes6633 Nice initial impressions on your ray!
I took the delivery of a blue ray 2 weeks back. Its light weight and flick-able nature impressed me the most.
Did not get a chance to ride around extensively. Hardly clocked 100 kms.
Congrats! on the good buy neelN. I am trying to use it as much as possible to get done with the running in period.

I am also curious to know what the mileage is. On the Activa that we own I have never got more than 35-36kms/ltr in the city traffic conditions. I have been riding the Ray in similar conditions and will probably dry out the tank later today to get the initial first hand estimates of its mileage.

Do share your experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks