Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 18:20   #61
BHPian

re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Guys I have a question . I purchased Ray two weeks back. . I had taken a temporary registration by paying 500 Rs . The TR expires on 12th Jan and I want the bike to be registered only on 16th . What do I do . The dealer says that I have to say 500Rs again for another TR.
I did check out with a few auto consultants I know in Bangalore city and it seems like you have the following options:

1) The Yamaha dealership has a bunch of temp nos. that they could help you with. Be smart and talk through smoothly
2) Incase your temp registration expires on 12th and you register the scooter on 16th and lets say you do not renew it, then you will need to pay an additional INR 500/- + penalty at the time of registration
3) Cough up the prescribed fee of INR 500/- before its expiry and ride along

Also, do you have any documents confirming that the temp registration is valid upto 12th Jan or is it just the dealership that is crying out loud?
Old 8th January 2013, 21:07   #62
BHPian

@ yikes

Thanks for your reply .
I spoke to one of my known rto guy . He said me that I have to pay a fine of 150 Rs for the delay and register the vehicle .

I have a paper for the temporary registration till 12th.

I will soon post a detailed first impression and ride thread . Unfortunately I am not finding time at all .

Last edited by rki2007 : 8th January 2013 at 21:13.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:29   #63
BHPian

Wanted to let you all know that I refilled at another gas station about 2 days ago and the scooter fires up to life in just 1 kick, again and I am happy about it.

The quality of the fuel sure has a great role in exhilarating the performance of any engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The official Yamaha Ray website says "Presenting All New STARRY WHITE", which means that the white colour has been launched by the company itself and is no longer customised.

Here's the link: http://www.yamaharay.com/

However, on enquiring with a few dealers here, they are still charging an extra 3500 INR for the white colour saying it's customised. This is seriously putting me off. I really want to go for this scoot but why should I pay extra for the colour I want? Looks like Yamaha is going to lose out on one customer atleast.
@Oxy, initially the Ray was never offered in white, however the dealerships went all out and customized the white color for customers. Since the white looks stunning, after market response and dealer demands, Yamaha has now launched Ray in white.

The dealers have a couple of white Ray's that were customized at an additional cost of INR 3,500/- whilst charging a premium of INR 5,000 on the those, by them.

The residual stock at the dealerships is being cleared by them, hold on for another week or two and you should be able to get yourself the white at no extra premium/cost
Old 10th January 2013, 19:59   #64
BHPian

@yikes6633 . I took the test ride of the Yamaha Ray and am completely sold on it. It is the perfect size that I am looking for. Both my feet plant perfectly on the ground when seated and the foot board is small as per my preference. The only worry is about long term ownership. Questions like, if they discontinue the model, how will the part sourcing/availability be like? I am considering keeping it atleast for 10 years. Any thoughts or am I being paranoid and thinking too much in the future.
Old 10th January 2013, 20:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
@yikes6633 . I took the test ride of the Yamaha Ray and am completely sold on it. It is the perfect size that I am looking for. Both my feet plant perfectly on the ground when seated and the foot board is small as per my preference. The only worry is about long term ownership. Questions like, if they discontinue the model, how will the part sourcing/availability be like? I am considering keeping it atleast for 10 years. Any thoughts or am I being paranoid and thinking too much in the future.
I don't think there much to be worried about. As per ARAI homologation rules, spare parts must be made available in the country for a minimum of 7 years or so AFTER the production of the vehicle is discontinued or if a part is changed/modified.

I am not terribily sure about the 7 years part, but I remember reading it somewhere here in T-bhp itself. Or perhaps its 5 years. But there is such a rule, so no worries about that.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 21:27   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post

I am not terribily sure about the 7 years part, but I remember reading it somewhere here in T-bhp itself. Or perhaps its 5 years. But there is such a rule, so no worries about that.
Mate, my experience is not the same. I think I have explained the same in my review. Never once have I able to easily source spares for my bajaj wave. It was discontinued seven years back, but from a long time I have the issue. Not even common parts like brake cable, etc is available. One prominent reason I went and brought a popular scoot. The ray is popular these days, no doubt. Still, not as popular as an activa, access, or the like. Go through my review, you will get a clear picture.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 22:36   #67
BHPian

I think I'm going to risk it and go in for the Grey Ray ( it rhymes). They have a facebook page too. http://www.facebook.com/ray.yamaha?fref=ts

Another thing being the OTR Mumbai is Rs 55600,with 5 days delivery time, whereas the Dio is 63000 with the premium and most of the dealers and sub dealers are waiting for the 2013 production lot.
Old 11th January 2013, 12:54   #68
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I think I'm going to risk it and go in for the Grey Ray ( it rhymes). They have a facebook page too. http://www.facebook.com/ray.yamaha?fref=ts

Another thing being the OTR Mumbai is Rs 55600,with 5 days delivery time, whereas the Dio is 63000 with the premium and most of the dealers and sub dealers are waiting for the 2013 production lot.
Good decision Ritesh, I think the Ray has great potential. However, it looks the best in white. Why don't you wait for a couple of weeks and get a white one when it hits the showrooms? Just my 2 cents..

And are you really sure about the price of the Dio in Mumbai? Here in Bangalore it's 53,880 plus accessories. 63k is way too much for a Dio. Even an Aviator with disc brakes and alloys costs 64,880 here. And I was under the impression that Bangalore has the highest road tax/ex-showroom price for vehicles throughout India.
Old 11th January 2013, 13:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
And are you really sure about the price of the Dio in Mumbai? Here in Bangalore it's 53,880 plus accessories. 63k is way too much for a Dio.
Dio costs about 53K in Mumbai OTR excluding the accessories. With accessories it should be around 55K. Yamah Ray in Mumbai would be slightly less costlier than Dio around 52K OTR.
Old 11th January 2013, 13:39   #70
BHPian

Kamla Yamaha at Chembur told me 55600. Maybe thats the price with all accessories. Will check and revert on this. As for the White Ray, surprisingly, no dealer has heard about the white being available. And in my opinion, white if not maintained, looks bad after a few years.

Regarding the price of Dio, it was as quoted by a Multibrand showroom on Lamington road.And further to the price, most of the dealers are waiting for the 2013 stocks to arrive from Gurgaon.

Edit:
Ray costs split up from Kamla Yamaha
Ex showroom: 46988
Octroi: 2519
RTO handling: 4743
Insurance: 1350
Total: Rs 55600 with a free body cover.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 11th January 2013 at 13:46.
Old 11th January 2013, 13:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@yikes6633 . The only worry is about long term ownership. Questions like, if they discontinue the model, how will the part sourcing/availability be like? I am considering keeping it atleast for 10 years. Any thoughts or am I being paranoid and thinking too much in the future.
If you are considering a long term ownership, availability of spareparts should be a major concern.

I am telling from my personal experience - I am facing problem soucing spareparts for a popular model like Yamaha RXZ. Once the model goes out of production, you are on your own. Even the authorised service centres won't source the spareparts for you.

From the point of view of availability of spareparts (as well as for long term reliability), the Honda scooters Activa and Dio would be the best.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 14:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the White Ray, surprisingly, no dealer has heard about the white being available. Total: Rs 55600 with a free body cover.
Ray costs Rs 55700/- in Thane incl Octroi, Road tax and Insurance and exl accessories. As per the dealer White Ray will be expected in the showroom by the end of the month but the SA cheekily said that there is a possibility of waiting for the White Ray. Surprising when the colour is yet to reach the showroom.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 14:45   #73
BHPian

Quote:
@ritesh, I've been riding the Ray for a little over 2 months now. I should admit that its a superb scooter. In my immediate family we also own an Activa, Dio and an Access, I still prefer riding the Ray over these other scooters only because of the way it handles and the way it feels.

I took the plunge early on, just when the ray started rolling out into the market, I too thought of the spare parts availability and the risk associated with buying a new scooter. I went through the history of the Yamaha Company, read a lot about their scooters and the various models, checked out the background of the company, took a test ride multiple times to reassure myself about the build, quality and performance and only then put my hard earned money down for the scooter.

From the initial research I did, some things that impressed me highly is that Yamaha have been manufacturing scooters since donkey's years. Infact the headlight design on the dio was copied from yamaha's scooter.

The promising notes and speeches from Mr. Suzuki of Yamaha Corp is assuring and its evident that yamaha have invested big money to make the Ray and the subsequent model of scooters from their stable to be successful.

Yamaha is launching another couple of scooters including a moto-scooter in 2013 & 2014 positioned for boys and for both sexes. They are here to stay. The sales figures of Yamaha over the last 3 months speaks volumes for itself.

Also, considering the fact that the Ray has been awarded the scooter of the year 2012 and with multiple/new dealerships coming up with a growth strategy laid out for the next 7 years, you have very little to worry about at this point in time.

Your decision is a good one, you will never regret it, go for the Ray. I just love my Ray and am very happy that I decided to buy it.

The Ray costed me exactly 55,168/- without any accessories in Bangalore.

Last edited by yikes6633 : 11th January 2013 at 14:56. Reason: corrected grammatical mistake
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 14:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post

Your decision is a good one, go for the Ray. I just love my Ray and am very happy that I decided to buy it.
After reading your assurance, I am off to the dealership. If they stop production and I don't get spares, I will reach Bangalore and pawn off parts off your Ray.
Old 11th January 2013, 15:09   #75
BHPian

Quote:
After reading your assurance, I am off to the dealership. If they stop production and I don't get spares, I will reach Bangalore and pawn off parts off your Ray.
Sure! after you pawn off parts from my Ray, I will then source new ones easily from the market to replace them.

You can be rest assured that with the present success of the Ray, Yamaha will definitely never phase out this model in the coming years. They sure will explore the opportunity of building subsequent/other models based on the Ray (you know the smart marketing strategy like Honda did with the Activa followed by Dio and then Aviator, i.e. leveraging the same engine and chasis to fit a new body to it)

In my opinion like how Honda spruced up their engine from 102cc to 109cc after a decade and offered the new Activa/Dio, likewise Yamaha too will spruce up their 113cc engine to 125cc and offer it on the new scooter positioned for boys in the coming months/years (may be).

All the best! do return with your own Ray from the dealership

Last edited by yikes6633 : 11th January 2013 at 15:11.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks