Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 11:35   #91
BHPian

re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

This morning I had the first ever flat on my Ray. It was the front wheel. The culprit was a nail due to a big construction next to my house.

Something that may be useful to other Ray owners is that the worm gear of the speedometer is very fragile on the Ray. The roadside puncture guys will dismantle the wheel very quickly and then struggle to assemble the worm gear back. Just to save on time and energy they will assemble the worm gear onto the hub and let you go. You may not realize it but after a few kms the odo/speedo will stop working.

I started the scooter this morning and walked alongside the scooter to the dealership (1/2 km from my house) I requested the service supervisor to remove the front wheel, I then got the puncture fixed and returned to have the service mechanic at the dealership fix it back.

The service mechanic told me that it was very wise of me to do this because there have been a lot of complaints from customers about the speedo/odo not working after a puncture and the worm gear is presently unavailable/out of stock.
Old 6th February 2013, 20:57   #92
BHPian

Yamaha and the Ray of hope

Hello yikes,

As i sold my LML Freedom about month a back to have any auto gear scooter, i test raided activa to vespa 125, not decided yet, waiting for new tuned up Activa 2013 model to reach showrooms, my permanent 2 wheeler mechanic not recommended Aviator, as usual i glued to my lovely forum to decide on my next 2 wheeler, 7 pages 90+ posts, in that allmost 60+ posts of your own praising of RAY...i already done 2 test rides of RAY, i loved the smooth ride when compared to other said scooters, only my worry was about the spares availability in coming years, because i already experienced on non availability of spares for LML freedom, that's why i sold that, other wise it was very good Bike to own. After reading this thread i am leaning towards RAY of hope, i am going tommorow again for another ride, hope will decide to go for it
Old 7th February 2013, 23:11   #93
BHPian

Re: Yamaha and the Ray of hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hello yikes,

As i sold my LML Freedom about month a back to have any auto gear scooter, i test raided activa to vespa 125, not decided yet, waiting for new tuned up Activa 2013 model to reach showrooms, my permanent 2 wheeler mechanic not recommended Aviator, as usual i glued to my lovely forum to decide on my next 2 wheeler, 7 pages 90+ posts, in that allmost 60+ posts of your own praising of RAY...i already done 2 test rides of RAY, i loved the smooth ride when compared to other said scooters, only my worry was about the spares availability in coming years, because i already experienced on non availability of spares for LML freedom, that's why i sold that, other wise it was very good Bike to own. After reading this thread i am leaning towards RAY of hope, i am going tommorow again for another ride, hope will decide to go for it
With the growth of the Ray and the Yamaha sales figures, the spare parts shouldn't be a concern. The scooter is wonderful and you will love every bit of it.
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:43   #94
BHPian

Re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

After two test rides and two months later, I am planning to go ahead with Ray booking today. Last time around the white color was not available and the dealer was charging 5000/- extra. I called and checked that the white is now available at the same price as that of other colors. Dealer has promised immediate delivery. As I said I will pay by cheque, I will get the delivery only after 3-4 days.

The vehicle will be used by my wife with my kid riding pillion. Daily expected usage around 20 kms.

Yikes and other owners:
- Is there anything specific I need to check before taking delivery?
- Any freebies I can avail?
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:32   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

Yikes and other owners:
I have been seeing the white on display and sale at the showroom that I bought mine from in Mumbai ( Chembur).
Looks awesome in white. I got a free body cover, that I plan to use, once it starts raining,since my scooty is kept in the open.
Old 25th February 2013, 16:33   #96
BHPian

Quote:
After two test rides and two months later, I am planning to go ahead with Ray booking today. Last time around the white color was not available and the dealer was charging 5000/- extra. I called and checked that the white is now available at the same price as that of other colors. Dealer has promised immediate delivery. As I said I will pay by cheque, I will get the delivery only after 3-4 days.

The vehicle will be used by my wife with my kid riding pillion. Daily expected usage around 20 kms.

Yikes and other owners:
It depends on how well you can bargain and how desperate the dealership is to add to their database another customer, besides the fact that they have certain sales targets to meet. I got a free beeper and teflon coating for my Ray.
Old 25th February 2013, 22:54   #97
BHPian

@yikes - brought home a black Ray today.

Thanks for this thread - my wife used this to convince me to trade in my trusted old YBX to get the new Ray!
Old 27th February 2013, 13:39   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoom View Post

Thanks for this thread - my wife used this to convince me to trade in my trusted old YBX to get the new Ray!
For sure this thread is a research tool for prospective buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
I got a free beeper and teflon coating for my Ray.
Thats a nice deal you got . I just got the body cover free. My Yamaha dealers service centre didnot have a beeper and I paid around Rs 750 for Teflon coating. They will coat the vehicle 3 times in a year. One time was for Rs 500.
Old 27th February 2013, 15:19   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoom View Post

Congrats! Mate, you will love this scooter for sure.

Happy Raying!
Old 14th March 2013, 22:59   #100
BHPian

Finally took delivery of my Yamaha Ray today.

A big thanks to yikes6633 for his detailed review and replies to my queries.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

1.RIDE QUALITY:Very good. I just loved the way it glided over the speed breakers without breaking a sweat and minimal jerking.My 6 year old Honda Eterno used to remind me of every bone in my body as it went over the very same speed breakers. It was very smooth and silky ride as I took my wife for a ride on a road with speed breakers. The people at Yamaha have done a good job with the suspension and ride quality.

2.ENGINE & PICKUP:Smooth and seamless delivery of power. The vehicle easily carried the two of us without any strain on level roads and on inclines too without breaking much of a sweat. The sound of the engine was also very pleasant.

3.HEADLIGHTS:The single major point of concern to me before plonking my money on the Ray. I had queried yikes and his reply-" It should be the least of your concerns" still rings in my head. Though it gave me some confidence, I was not fully convinced till today evening when I went for the inaugural ride with my wife. The fixed headlights are no longer a matter of concern. The throw of the light is sufficient and bright enough to put all my concerns to an end.

4.BUILD QUALITY:Overall the fit and finish is good and at par with the competition. The panels are all fiber and there is very little metal on the body.The switches are OK and feel good, though the headlamp switch can be catergorised as minuscule . But what really irks me/wife is the console. The el cheapo looking "thing" definitely looks like a Chinese job and ditto with the fuel gauge .A brake lock would have cost Yamaha what?

These are first impressions on day one of ownership. Dealership experience was nothing much to write home about. But I guess that's how it is.

Hoping to add some more positive notes as the day and kilometers roll by.
Old 15th March 2013, 15:27   #101
BHPian

Took the delivery of my Ray today after waiting for the white one for almost three months.

I took delivery and rode to office 20 kms away from Hebbal and did not cross more than 40kmph.

Agree with jnpai on the console. The fuel gauge showed almost empty though it had one litre fuel. Took the dealer's word and rode to Shell - 15 kms away and filled up. Wished console was at an angle for easier reading.

Got buzzer and hand grips as complimentary. Paid 1800 for accessories (Front and rear guards, foot mat, seat cover, ladies foot rest)
Old 18th March 2013, 19:08   #102
BHPian

Congrats! jnpai and Alto LXI.

The Yamaha Ray is a very good scooter and you will love it.

Happy Riding!
Old 18th March 2013, 20:06   #103
BHPian

Congrats to you both. Wishing you many more happy miles with this great scooter. Happy scootering...
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:08   #104
BHPian

After one week usage here are my updates:

+ ves:

1. Took it to office the first day. The ride is smoother compared to Access - speed breakers are handled well by Ray.
2. Comfortable for women folk as the vehicle is not bulky compared to Access / Activa. Pushing vehicle in parking slot is easier than Access. The vehicle is used by my wife - she feels very comfortable using it.
3. I felt foot board space is narrow but my wife finds it comfortable.

- ves:

1. From the first day, a DRRR... sound is produced somewhere on the back side. I remember yikes 6633 mentioning the same and removed the toolkit, service book kept in storage etc. The sound still persists.
2. The Console is what I do not like. On the day of delivery, the dealer told the tank had 1 liter of petrol. As the fuel indicator was pointing to near empty, I rechecked with him. He opened the lid and confirmed it as 1 liter. I was skeptical but decided to check later. I filled Rs. 250/- worth fuel in Shell. My wife used it for 1 week. With odometer now showing 95 kms, the fuel indicator is already pointing to reserve.. Need to check this...
3. Yamaha should have made the hook, where the bags can be hung, lockable like that of Access.

Another observation: I have filled two times in Shell. The fuel dispenser does not enter into the tank. The attendants need to fill slowly and carefully.
Old 25th March 2013, 19:42   #105
BHPian

Quote:
After one week usage here are my updates:

+ ves:

1. Took it to office the first day. The ride is smoother compared to Access - speed breakers are handled well by Ray.

2. Comfortable for women folk as the vehicle is not bulky compared to Access / Activa. Pushing vehicle in parking slot is easier than Access. The vehicle is used by my wife - she feels very comfortable using it.

3. I felt foot board space is narrow but my wife finds it comfortable.

- ves:

1. From the first day, a DRRR... sound is produced somewhere on the back side. I remember yikes 6633 mentioning the same and removed the toolkit, service book kept in storage etc. The sound still persists.

2. The Console is what I do not like. On the day of delivery, the dealer told the tank had 1 liter of petrol. As the fuel indicator was pointing to near empty, I rechecked with him. He opened the lid and confirmed it as 1 liter. I was skeptical but decided to check later. I filled Rs. 250/- worth fuel in Shell. My wife used it for 1 week. With odometer now showing 95 kms, the fuel indicator is already pointing to reserve. Need to check this...

3. Yamaha should have made the hook, where the bags can be hung, lockable like that of Access.

Another observation: I have filled two times in Shell. The fuel dispenser does not enter into the tank. The attendants need to fill slowly and carefully.

+ves

1) Agree, the Ray is smooth and peppy!
2) My wife swears by it!
3) Agree, its narrower by 2 inches when compared with the Activa or Access

-ves

1) This sound irritated me no end. If you can remove the bolt holding the inner mudguard and insert a rubber washer, like that of a water heater hose pipe used at home, this sound will be gone forever.

The other possible drrr sound could be from the seat lock hook. Roll some insulation tape on it and then push the seat to the lock position, the sound will be gone.

2) Please do not depend on the accuracy of the fuel gauge, it does show slightly deflected readings, the scooter has given me a mileage of 41kms/ltr consistently!

3) This requirement may be fulfilled, just buy a hook with a lock/key and have it fitted where the present hook is.

Some of the gas station guys do get puzzled, however the nozzle fits in if inserted properly and I have never had to wait for the fuel to be filled in slowly. Even if the nozzle doesn't fit through the fuel may be filled in at the regular speed without any issues.

Happy Raying!

Last edited by yikes6633 : 25th March 2013 at 19:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks