Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 19:34   #166
BHPian

Re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Got the Ray's last and final Service completed. Another month and it will wrap up the 2 year warranty on the scooter.

Its 23 months and has covered 16537Kms to date.

The Service Costed 530/- towards oil change, new indicator beeper, consumables and polishing.

The Ray is running as it did on the very first day I collected it. Its mileage is still at 40-41kms per ltr.

Love this scooter.

Happy Raying!
Old 4th December 2014, 10:51   #167
BHPian

My Ray completed 2 years on 31st Oct 2014.

Have been off the hook for sometime, thus the delayed update.

It's covered 18000kms and has performed well.

I love it and its a highly recommended buy, in my opinion.

Happy Raying!
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 23:46   #168
BHPian

Hi

Reviving your old thread, how is your Ray doing ?

I had a question for you :

I have a 2013 Ray Z, done about 7500Kms, recently serviced. 90% of the time its But the engine feels and sounds so strained to hit 40kmph, feels a bit ok from there on till 60-70kmph. With 2 on board, the scooter feels super strained. Not sure whats the issue. Wifey is now demanding an upgrade to 125 Activa citing this issue.

Any suggestions ?
Old 4th November 2016, 18:42   #169
Senior - BHPian

We have a 2014 RayZ - don't see any engine-strain with 2 on board. Did you have it checked by the service centre?

It's my Dad's local runabout, but I also use it quite a bit & find it a nifty bike. I find Activa overhyped, especially in KL where every home has minimum 1 Activa. For a change we tried Yamaha & it was worth it.

Was curious about the FE, which is difficult to calculate in these scooters since there is no fuel-knob. So emptied the tank fully, then put in 1 litre & rode around for few days till fuel got over. FE : 45kmpl. Not bad at all IMO.
Old 1st February 2018, 15:47   #170
BANNED

My Ray Z headlight's high beam is aligned straight to sky from the Day 1 :-(

Is there any way to align headlamp in Ray Z like we do in bikes?
Old 1st February 2018, 16:22   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is there any way to align headlamp in Ray Z like we do in bikes?
Yes you can do it. But you may have to remove the shield at the front to be able to do it. Our 2014 Ray Z had a similar issue right out of the showroom. Got it aligned at a known local mechanic.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:26   #172
BHPian

The Ray has been ridden for over 45000 kms until now and the engine feels as peppy as ever. Over all these years and all the rides it has only improved. The mileage which was consistently 40kms/ltr has also improved to 45kms/ltr

The overall ownership has been fantastic, so far. I had got the brake pads/linings replaced, the exhaust fibre cover replaced, the battery replaced and that's pretty much it. Though the body panels have faded a bit and show signs of slight looseness, however the engine still has the grunt and feels alive each time you start it and rev it.

I like it more than I ever did an Activa
Old 25th August 2018, 09:07   #173
Senior - BHPian

Its heart warming to see Ray aficionados, talking positively about this scooter.
It is essentially a smaller scooter for quick commutes, IMHO.
I have covered close to 12000 kms on my Ray and never had any issue cropping up. Mileage is consistently 40+ kmpl.
My 2013 Ray of Hope
Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope-1.jpg
Ride safe with a helmet always.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:11   #174
BHPian

I got an issue with my wife's ray. Sick and tired of the endless punctures, i removed the tube and got a new valve and converted to tubeless tires. Retained the existing tires after fixing some punctures (only on rear tire). The previous day the
rear tire burst all of a sudden!. Wife got them changed them to new ones.
But the persistent issue here is a handling problem which came up after my "tubeless conversion" process. The scooter just doesnt behave as expected. It turns erratically and sometimes has a floaty behavior.

My questions are..
Did I make a mistake converting to tubeless using exisiting tires?
Is this some other issue?
Old 27th February 2019, 11:06   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
The previous day the rear tire burst all of a sudden!
Quote:
The scooter just doesn't behave as expected. It turns erratically and sometimes has a 'floaty' behavior.
Dunno about the technical details, but if it were me, those two things would have been MORE than enough to convince me to go back to the stock tire setup!
Old 27th February 2019, 11:14   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
.. back to the stock tire setup!
And back to the punctures.. its just a headache since my wife is the primary user and i hate to make her push the bike once in a week for puncture repairs.. i really want to be able to keep tubeless tires.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:24   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got an issue with my wife's ray. Sick and tired of the endless punctures, i removed the tube and got a new valve and converted to tubeless tires. Retained the existing tires after fixing some punctures (only on rear tire). The previous day the
rear tire burst all of a sudden!. Wife got them changed them to new ones.
But the persistent issue here is a handling problem which came up after my "tubeless conversion" process. The scooter just doesnt behave as expected. It turns erratically and sometimes has a floaty behavior.
I am not sure if the rim is built for a tubeless tyre. The tyre bead must be seated properly else all these issues you mentioned will occur. Also, the tyre you use must be a tubeless tyre and not just a regular tyre without tube since the bead of the tubeless tyre must be designed to form an air tight joint with the rim. If that is not the case, then it will burst and when not seated properly, it will wobble affecting the handling of the vehicle.

Check if the new Ray comes with a tubeless tyre setup and if so, check if the rim has been changed. That will rule out the chances of rim incompatibility. In the case of the Hondas, the rims have been the same with only the tyres and valves changed.

One way to find out if the tyre is seated properly is to rotate the wheel freely and check if the tyre rotates uniformly or in an oval pattern. When I got the wheels of my bike balanced, one rim was needing excessive weight on one side. The technician deflated the tyre, broke the beading with rim and remounted it and the weights came down by a good amount.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 11:24   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. its just a headache since my wife is the primary user and i hate to make her push the bike once in a week for puncture repairs..
Understandable, but guess it's safer than having a tire blow while she's riding? And probably safer than riding an unstable scooter?

The tire experts will weigh in, but perhaps a complete upgrade to tires (and maybe wheels) that are designed to be used as tubeless tires would be the way to go. Or just an upgrade to a better quality tire.

Last edited by am1m : 27th February 2019 at 11:30.
Old 7th March 2019, 17:17   #179
BHPian

So finally.. this is what happened

Went to ASC and asked for tubeless tires
The SA mentioned that the existing tires are okay to be converted to tubeless ones.
But later on called me back and informed that the tires need to be changed along with the rims!
Did that and the scooter scoots like a champ!
I swear that even the ride quality has improved drastically. It is much smoother.
Total damage ~6.5K including a full service. High? Oh yeah. But didnt have a chance to bargain. Lets leave it there
Sorry i didnt get any before-after pics..
Old 19th March 2019, 17:32   #180
BANNED

Can I fit this in Ray-Z because the stock one is 35W HS1?

https://www.amazon.in/Osram-Halogen-.../dp/B01IDF979I

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks