Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2013, 16:59   #76
BHPian

re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Booked the Burgundy Ray. Getting delivery next week.So excited to own a 2 wheeler after 15 years. I wasn't so excited, even when I got the delivery of my Audi 2 months ago.
Old 11th January 2013, 17:58   #77
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Booked the Burgundy Ray. Getting delivery next week.So excited to own a 2 wheeler after 15 years. I wasn't so excited, even when I got the delivery of my Audi 2 months ago.
Congrats on the brown beauty!!

Hope to see an initial ownership review soon.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 21:40   #78
BHPian

Quote:
@Ritesh, yoohoo! Congrats and I'm sure you will love it.

All the best! and keep us posted.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 21:51   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats buddy! Damn, if you had proposed the alternative arrangement for spare parts(through yikes) programme sometime before, even I would have brought a Ray for myself We could have shared parts if required. Just kidding though, as neither of all of us would regret the choice we make, as each one will have individual preferences.
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:57   #80
BHPian

The Yamaha Ray shines again when compared to the Vespa LX 125. Here is the link to the comparison conducted by autocar india. http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...amaha-ray.aspx

Cheers!
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:51   #81
BHPian

Sorry for jacking your thread @yikes6633. Have been busy and unable to write my ownership report.
Got delivery of my Burgundy Ray on Saturday 19 Jan and rode for 55 kms on day 1 itself :-). A friend who owns an Activa drove it for 20 kms ( out of 55 kms) and was 'head over heels' with the Ray's suspension. He was contemplating selling his activa and buying the Ray.
I'm really happy with the decision and 100% credit to @yikes6633.

More later.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope-ray.jpg  

riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 13:02   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for jacking your thread @yikes6633. Have been busy and unable to write my ownership report.
Got delivery of my Burgundy Ray on Saturday 19 Jan and rode for 55 kms on day 1 itself :-). A friend who owns an Activa drove it for 20 kms ( out of 55 kms) and was 'head over heels' with the Ray's suspension. He was contemplating selling his activa and buying the Ray.
I'm really happy with the decision and 100% credit to @yikes6633.

More later.
Congrats! buddy, you will love every bit of the ride on this scooter. Cheers and Happy riding!
Old 29th January 2013, 17:22   #83
BHPian

Completed the 2nd free service today on my Ray at 2432kms and 3months. I had time until the 7th of Feb and upto 3000kms to service it, however the oil level was low and I had been riding the scooter in very dusty conditions (Thanks to most of the Roads in Bangalore). Therefore decided to get done with the 2nd service earlier.

The total bill for the 2nd free service is INR 320.00 (215 Oil, 50 Consumables, 40 Polish). I had paid the same price for the 1st free service on 29th Nov 2012.

After collecting the scooter I stopped by the road side and loosened up the brakes as they were tightened such that the slightest grip on the levers brought it to a stop.

Then I lowered the idling to my liking as the service center keeps it real high.

Overall satisfied so far with the Ray

Last edited by yikes6633 : 29th January 2013 at 17:23.
Old 30th January 2013, 08:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
however the oil level was low
I stopped by the road side and loosened up the brakes as they were tightened such that the slightest grip on the levers brought it to a stop.
Then I lowered the idling to my liking as the service center keeps it real high.
Does the Ray have an Oil level indicator on the console? Also is it advisable to get the brake & idling adjustment on you own as you could have done the same in the workshop during your visit.
Old 30th January 2013, 16:13   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does the Ray have an Oil level indicator on the console? Also is it advisable to get the brake & idling adjustment on you own as you could have done the same in the workshop during your visit.
There is no oil indicator on the console. Even I would be interested in knowing, how 1 checks for oil level. I tred looking for an indicator on the right side,somewhere in the vicinity of the exhaust, but couldn't find it.
Old 30th January 2013, 16:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no oil indicator on the console. Even I would be interested in knowing, how 1 checks for oil level. I tred looking for an indicator on the right side,somewhere in the vicinity of the exhaust, but couldn't find it.
For Activa there is an oil dip stick available on the left of the engine where the manual kick level is located. Although I rarely inspect it but have seen the technicians have a look at it during the regular servicing. Try locating it near the said location, you might find one.
Old 30th January 2013, 19:36   #87
BHPian

I received a sms from yamaha suggesting to contact the dealer and get an upgraded part replaced free of cost. Will give may ray for second service on this weekend.

has anyone received similar communications from the compny?
Old 1st February 2013, 11:44   #88
BHPian

Quote:
There is an oil dipstick on the right side of the scooter engine. It is tucked behind the exhaust.

To check the oil level start the scooter and let it idle for 5 mins, turn off. Open the dip stick using a flat head screw driver. Wipe the dip stick clean and place back into the dip stick slot. Do not screw it back. Just put it in as far as it goes. take it out and ensure the oil is between the low & high mark. Top up if necessary.

On the idling and brake adjustment, after servicing the Ray, the idling is set and the brakes are adjusted at the prescribed level by the service center. I am very particular about the idling and also since I have a braking pattern that I am most comfortable with, I prefer adjusting these two things myself, after the service guys set it at the prescribed levels. The idling is set at a lower rpm than that done by the service center. The brakes are set such that there is more play when using the brakes (both front and back). It's just a matter of personal choice and liking.

I too received a message from Yamaha on the upgradation of a particular part on Wednesday. The guys from the service center had called me and requested me that I bring the scooter in for upgrading the part on Thursday or Friday free of Cost. Since I am traveling I told them that I will bring my scooter on Wednesday itself.

I took it there and they upgraded a part (rubber pocket is being inserted behind the ignition lock to prevent any acid overflow from the battery falling on it given the rough Indian roads or the poor precision with which the service guys top up the battery acid level). They returned the scooter to me within 15 minutes.

Unfortunately after this upgrade I realized that evening that the headlight is not working and I have been very upset with the dealer for screwing it up.

I will be back on Saturday, just can't wait to take it back to get it fixed and give the service supervisor a good piece/peace of my mind.

Incase any of you get this part upgraded, please ensure you check the working of all the electricals before leaving the service center.

Last edited by yikes6633 : 1st February 2013 at 11:48. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 1st February 2013, 13:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha has published the servicing details for the first year which includes free servicing on their website. Clicking on the arrow button gives the list of maintenance to be done at required duration/kms. Details can be found in the link attached. Yamaha owners can comment more on the maintenance. The website also talks about protection plus - anybody opted for this? Overall good that Yamaha has listed the details on the website.

http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/se...edule/ray.html
Old 2nd February 2013, 20:07   #90
BHPian

@ghodlur....Thanks a lot for the online information.

I called the yamaha dealership this morning and informed them that the headlight wasn't working after the up-gradation of the part. They requested me to bring the scooter. I went there by 12.45pm and told the service supervisor that I would like to see what they fix to have the headlights back on.

In the workshop the mechanic started stripping down the headlight turn on/off switch and then the hi-beam/lo-beam switches. This was irritating me and I told him that the upgraded part required the stripping down of the headlight assembly and the wiring there must be checked.

After that he stripped down the headlight assembly removed all the connections leading to the headlight. He then used compressed air to clean all the contacts and started to assemble back the headlight unit, the switches and then screwed back the panels.

He then started the bike and switched on the headlight and they worked perfectly fine. I asked the mechanic about the approach of removing the switches and using compressed air to clean them and he replied that a lot of scooters come in with low electrical current passing to the bulbs and horn and this is mainly due to dust in the switches or wiring contacts.

This is surprising, in so many years of owning and maintaining bikes/scooters I've never come across a problem related to the electrical contacts due to dust. Have any of you come across a similar issue?

I know for a fact that when the headlight assembly was removed to upgrade the spare part on my scooter by Yamaha the electrical leads were not connected back properly leading to this issue.

It's back to normal and I'm content about it. I also got to see the inner parts of the scooter, the fit, finish and the build, looking at it I'd say Good Job Yamaha, the build is definitely World Class within so also on the outside!

Cheers!

Last edited by yikes6633 : 2nd February 2013 at 20:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks