Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 22:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - NEW model coming. EDIT : Launched @ 1.53 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Anyone knows how the ignition is handled in this one?

Regards
Sutripta
TCI Unit, Multi curve from REM website
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 08:02   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
EFI-500 is still on sale? What is this new model called and how is it differentiated from the EFI version?(name wise)
All bullets currently on sale are EFI models.

However, the new 500cc which is released is a carb version so they should have specifically given a different name/badge to distinguish it from other models on sale

I reckon RE needs to market their suite of products better considering the growing popularity so people know each product distinctly from another.
Old 19th April 2013, 08:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Rear wheel is not reverted to 19", it's 18" for 500. For 500 EFI it's 19".
Tyre specs are same across the 500 range

90/90/19 for front
120/80/18 for rear both in Classic 500 and RE 500 carb.

This one runs on a BS 33 Carb,that is also being used in a pulsar 200 NS.
I would recommend dumping it and going in for a good Amal or a VM34 at least.
It undercuts Efi CL500 by just 9K bucks.
Old 19th April 2013, 08:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
EFI-500 is still on sale? What is this new model called and how is it differentiated from the EFI version?(name wise)
EFI is still on sale as Classic 500.
Classic 500 basic colors
Classic 500 Chrome/Desert Storm
Only RE 500 gets the carb,rest of the 500 range continues to run on FI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Tyre specs are same across the 500 range

90/90/19 for front
120/80/18 for rear both in Classic 500 and RE 500 carb.

This one runs on a BS 33 Carb,that is also being used in a pulsar 200 NS.
I would recommend dumping it and going in for a good Amal or a VM34 at least.
It undercuts Efi CL500 by just 9K bucks.
Old 19th April 2013, 22:16   #65
BHPian

RE had to ruin it somehow. This was almost sounding like a perfect bike and then RE once again messed up with the aesthetics. The gap between the rear fender and tyre just spoils the party.
Old 20th April 2013, 14:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
RE had to ruin it somehow. This was almost sounding like a perfect bike and then RE once again messed up with the aesthetics. The gap between the rear fender and tyre just spoils the party.
If the looks are so unpleasing to you, just put in the old 3.50-19 MRF and you are good to go. I Personally found this version the Best from the R.E. stable..
Old 24th April 2013, 07:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield launches Bullet 500 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Brand new version with the old engine technology UCE which was terribly popular in the past

Lets see how it sells or performs compared to the new technology EFI engine 500CC's
If I am correct, is the EFI also not a Unit construction engine (UCE) with added EFI (electronic fuel injection)? I think the engine is the same. The prime advantage of UCE was the integrated gearbox and no oil leaks.

EFI gives about a bhp or more compared to the carb version, however EFI is not as tunable as a carb, although we have performance chips for the bullet today.
Old 24th April 2013, 15:31   #68
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield launches Bullet 500 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
If I am correct, is the EFI also not a Unit construction engine (UCE) with added EFI (electronic fuel injection)? I think the engine is the same. The prime advantage of UCE was the integrated gearbox and no oil leaks.

EFI gives about a bhp or more compared to the carb version, however EFI is not as tunable as a carb, although we have performance chips for the bullet today.
Actually. I'd prefer the Carb 500 over the EFI coz finally we can install the short bottle silencer without the accompanying "Popping" when the throttle is closed- downhill..
Old 24th April 2013, 17:00   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Afaik, EFI is also a UCE(Unit construction engine). And yes, the EFI produces a bhp more compared to d carb version.
But as the carb can be tuned by re-jetting it, the EFI can be tuned by re-mapping the ECU.

IMO, Re-mapping the ECU with a piggyback performance chip or a new standalone ECU is simpler than getting a carb rejetted. This is because while rejetting, you need to get the air to fuel ratio exactly right and needs more skill than tuning an EFI.
Old 24th April 2013, 17:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post

Actually. I'd prefer the Carb 500 over the EFI coz finally we can install the short bottle silencer without the accompanying "Popping" when the throttle is closed- downhill..
I drove my friend's classic 350 which has the short bottle silencer a.k.a 'rocket silencer' but there was the accompanying "popping" when the throttle was closed downhill. Classic 350 is carb. Can you please tell me how the popping sound is associated with carb and EFI?
Old 11th May 2013, 06:15   #71
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well, as a die hard fan of the RE since my teens, I am finally getting a chance to own one in my 30s!! I have ridden an uncle's Machismo in college for about 2 months.

I have short listed three variants - Carb 500, TB500, Chrome 500 and listing my requirements and reservations as below -

Requirements - weekend rides with spouse, occasional office commute in Delhi of about 35 Kms one way, Leh trip

Pros and Cons as per my opinion, please note that I am a novice when it comes to engine technologies and the information below is more of online knowledge gained over the past few days !

Carb 500
+ retro and classic styling, proven carb technology which any road side mechanic can fix in an emergency, off he shelf delivery in Delhi, more comfortable for rider and pillion for long runs
- carbs are more prone to breakdown and skilled maintenance is required, weather changes in north India might require tuning more frequently

Chrome 500
+ amazing styling which reminds me of the machismo I had for a short stint in college, EFI engine has better power, available off the shelf in Delhi
- classic seats are a pain for both rider and pillion over a long run which I have personally experienced in my recent Classic hire at Manali, read some horror stories of 500EFI owners on other threads

TB500
+ probably the best build quality among current fleet of RE, great looker, cruiser would be more comfortable for long run
- EFI engine might be an issue, more expensive than others and 1 month waiting in Delhi.

I would request the gurus and other learned RE owners to help me out with this one.
Old 11th May 2013, 10:32   #72
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
RE owners to help me out with this one.
After riding my son's Classic 500 for more than an year and my Thunderbird 500 for a few days, I can authoritatively say the following:

- Fit and finish of my Blue Bird are far better than my son's Classic 500

- Gear-shifting is smoother in my Blue Bird compared to my son's Classic 500

- I like the handlebar position of my Blue Bird more than my son's Classic 500

- Rider seat comfort is way better in my Blue Bird, especially for long trips although my wife, who sits keeping both the legs on one side, finds my son's Classic 500's pillion seat more comfortable; but my daughters, who sit keeping one leg on either side, praised the pillion seat comfort of my Blue Bird!
  (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 10:46   #73
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
After riding my son's Classic 500 for more than an year and my Thunderbird 500 for a few days, I can authoritatively say the following:

- Fit and finish of my Blue Bird are far better than my son's Classic 500

- Gear-shifting is smoother in my Blue Bird compared to my son's Classic 500

- I like the handlebar position of my Blue Bird more than my son's Classic 500

- Rider seat comfort is way better in my Blue Bird, especially for long trips although my wife, who sits keeping both the legs on one side, finds my son's Classic 500's pillion seat more comfortable; but my daughters, who sit keeping one leg on either side, praised the pillion seat comfort of my Blue Bird!
Thanks Sir, will you be able to help me out with the carb vs EFI argument as well ?
Old 11th May 2013, 17:05   #74
J.Ravi

Quote:
Thanks Sir, will you be able to help me out with the carb vs EFI argument as well ?
That's a vast R&D subject of which I know very little. You can go through this wonderful thread for further information and decide: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3118267

Old 13th May 2013, 11:16   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Carb 500
+ retro and classic styling, proven carb technology which any road side mechanic can fix in an emergency, off he shelf delivery in Delhi, more comfortable for rider and pillion for long runs
How come RE is giving off the self delivery in Delhi but not even launching this in rest of India

Any idea when they plan to. When I called the local dealers they were clueless

Most Viewed