Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 08:54   #2986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I used to simply idle after starting in the morning till the radiator fan kicks in. Post that its always been smooth. I did have over heating scenario and the engine cutting off.
But that will take more than 5 min. How do you have the patience for that long.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:19   #2987
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I used to experience the engine cut off issue when the bike was new. It cleared itself up until recently. Since its been exactly a year since I got the bike, I'm wondering if the lower temperatures in Chennai at this time are in anyway connected with the engine cutting off?

Anyway, I noticed the issue only occurs when the engine is cold AND the engine is blipped or a rapid throttle closure\rpm drop to idle takes place.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:22   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
I used to experience the engine cut off issue when the bike was new. It cleared itself up until recently. Since its been exactly a year since I got the bike, I'm wondering if the lower temperatures in Chennai at this time are in anyway connected with the engine cutting off?
I seriously doubt lower temperatures in Chennai are the cause of this - even in "winter", this is a pretty warm city (temperatures in the twenties C are the very definition of moderate). The stalling has to be due to something else.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:23   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
I seriously doubt lower temperatures in Chennai are the cause of this - even in "winter", this is a pretty warm city (temperatures in the twenties C are the very definition of moderate). The stalling has to be due to something else.
Haha, I agree. I'm sweating as I type this out :P
Old 21st October 2014, 10:52   #2990
Senior - BHPian

I have a question for owners of the newer 390s (later months this year).

Does the radiator fan still come on when you stop after a hard 15-20 minute city traffic ride? And does it stay on like in the older bikes (no matter how long you wait for it to go off at idle) or does it quickly go off once the temperature comes down (like in the 200s)?
Old 21st October 2014, 14:52   #2991
BHPian

For academic purpose only:
=================

Based on the primary/secondary (final) gear ratio and individual gear ratios for each gear, these are the figures for D390 (with stock settings)

Gear_Position - Overall_Gear_Ratio - Speed-per-1000RPM
---------------------------------------------------------------
1st - 21.39:1 - 5.4kmph/1000RPM
2nd - 14.90:1 - 7.7kmph/1000RPM
3rd - 11.37:1 - 10.1kmph/1000RPM
4th - 09.13:1 - 12.6kmph/1000RPM
5th - 07.69:1 - 14.9kmph/1000RPM
6th - 06.73:1 - 17.1kmph/1000RPM

Please let me know if there is any error in above data. I got the above data by calculating the overall gear ratio for each gear and the tyre size.

I know the above data may be bit boring unless you compare them with the Ninja 300s
As a bonus and with a hope this does not start an unwanted debate, here is the data for N300.

Gear_Position Overall_Gear_Ratio Speed-per-1000RPM
---------------------------------------------------------------
1st - 25.12:1 - 4.7kmph/1000RPM
2nd - 6.59:1 - 7.1kmph/1000RPM
3rd - 13.07:1 - 9.0kmph/1000RPM
4th - 10.75:1 - 11.kmph/1000RPM
5th - 09.27:1 - 12.7kmph/1000RPM
6th - 07.97:1 - 14.8kmph/1000RPM

Any inference ???? The above data only confirms that D390 has a longer gearing when compared to N300.
Old 21st October 2014, 15:10   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have a question for owners of the newer 390s (later months this year).

Does the radiator fan still come on when you stop after a hard 15-20 minute city traffic ride? And does it stay on like in the older bikes (no matter how long you wait for it to go off at idle) or does it quickly go off once the temperature comes down (like in the 200s)?
The radiator fan does turn on when the bike stops after a hard run. I usually turn the bike off after abfew seconds of stop. So really haven't noticed it.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 15:48   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
The radiator fan does turn on when the bike stops after a hard run. I usually turn the bike off after abfew seconds of stop. So really haven't noticed it.
Which month is your bike of? If its one of the newer ones (say post April, May 2014) please check and let me know. Would be greatly appreciated.

What you are doing is counter-intuitive for me. When the fan is on, I never shut off my bike. Well, to be fair, I only ever had one bike with a fan. And its not with me anymore. My current bike is from a much simpler time.
Old 21st October 2014, 16:15   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
When the fan is on, I never shut off my bike.
Well this is not possible on any 390 doc! After a normal traffic run, the fan is on by default. I have waited a looonng time for the fan to stop before I turn the engine off. But it just does not and I will have to shut off the engine. The same is noticed in another friend's "newer" 390.

I believe this fan is sufficient to cool the 200's engine. But it is only just sufficient to ensure the 390's engine does not overheat. I am strictly talking about the scenario where the bike is standstill.

EDIT: I also heard that the same fan in the 390 is made to run at a higher RPM compared to that on the 200. Not sure how true this is.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 21st October 2014 at 16:16.
Added_flavor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 17:18   #2995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
EDIT: I also heard that the same fan in the 390 is made to run at a higher RPM compared to that on the 200. Not sure how true this is.
To add to this, I have read about a person in one of the international forums who had swapped the existing fan of the 390 to a bigger fan and noticed superb cooling characteristics when compared to the stock one! Even in heavy traffic scenarios.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 17:23   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Which month is your bike of? If its one of the newer ones (say post April, May 2014) please check and let me know. Would be greatly appreciated.

What you are doing is counter-intuitive for me. When the fan is on, I never shut off my bike. Well, to be fair, I only ever had one bike with a fan. And its not with me anymore. My current bike is from a much simpler time.
The manufacure date is July 2014. I also agree with you on not to turn the bike off when the fan is on, after hard riding. But I haven't hard ridden the bike yet. 650 kms till date. And I don't turn off atleast untill after waiting for 10 sec.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 17:58   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Well this is not possible on any 390 doc! After a normal traffic run, the fan is on by default. I have waited a looonng time for the fan to stop before I turn the engine off. But it just does not and I will have to shut off the engine. The same is noticed in another friend's "newer" 390.

I believe this fan is sufficient to cool the 200's engine. But it is only just sufficient to ensure the 390's engine does not overheat. I am strictly talking about the scenario where the bike is standstill.

That's really helpful (and depressing) bro.

mithunvijayan, once your bike is runin, and your first service and oil change is done, could you please check if the fan shuts off after some time.

Like added flavor, once jst to check, I actually sat near the idling bike for 15 minutes (burning my own fuel), and the fan still did not go off. After which I simply shut off the bike.

I cannot believe that almost 2 years later this is still happening ......
Old 21st October 2014, 18:50   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a 2013 last model. And for moderately short traffic signals I never shut off the engine and the fan will be whirring away in all glory throughout the halt! And this block is a bit hard to cool down, some days I have noticed that after parking my bike in my office parking lot by 1030hrs with temp bar at last but one and then while taking it out for a spin at 1330hrs the temp bar will still show the last bar!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 19:21   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
That's really helpful (and depressing) bro.
I am whimsical rider, and ride mostly at sedate speeds. But when I need the power I better have it, that's the sole purpose of power as far as I am concerned. I was a bit different before,though. Before I crashed my getz diesel into an auto ( I was doing about 170 kmph when I spotted it, taking the proverbial u turn).

Quote:
mithunvijayan, once your bike is runin, and your first service and oil change is done, could you please check if the fan shuts off after some time.

Like added flavor, once jst to check, I actually sat near the idling bike for 15 minutes (burning my own fuel), and the fan still did not go off. After which I simply shut off the bike.

Will definitely check. But why are you worried, the radiator fan hardly exerts any load on the engine, while idling. Once you are sure that, the engine has cooled down, I don't think there will be a problem, if turned off.
Old 21st October 2014, 23:12   #3000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I don't think there should be coolant leakage, whatever the situation may be (except a crash of course). Might sound stupid, but the coolant cap is tightly secured right? Coolant leakage has been a hallmark of some Bajaj and many KTM bikes, but not from the cap area.
Yes cap is tight , for the time being I am excusing this incident .

Quote:
Basu bro, you should be feeling chuffed right now. Not concerned, or angry.

Honestly, I have never been able to do a stoppie on the 390. I am just too chicken for that.

Btw, congrats on the new bike! And nice shoes.
Thank you Sir , it was your comment months back about considering the 390 that initially made me consider the bike

The stoppie was quite scary and based on the explanations since provided , I guess I wrongly assumed it as an ABS malfunction/shortcoming .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
A thousand times agree with the doc. Basu - you should be celebrating dude. Your first stoppie / endo. I have been practicing for a week now n nada. Wheelie took like a couple of days but stoppies just ain't happening

One comment that leaves me baffled though dude is why you went back checking for gravel or whatever else. From what you've explained, you didn't lose traction. You think gravel or cow shit helps performing endos? Do tell
Thank you though only if it were intentional lol , I am scared right now to rev the bike too fast let alone pull of stoppies or wheelies . Did a small wheelie tonight(a small speed breaker and horrible throttle control by me to blame ), again unintentional .

I was merely stressing on the quality of road and wanted to reassure myself , I due to a lack of complete understanding of the physics behind stoppie that I assumed traction might play a role .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post

Hope you are getting what I am trying to say.

The only way ABS fails is if it completely locks your wheel where you start skidding aka loose traction.
Thank you for the explanation and I did get your post , thank you for clarifying and hence reassuring me in a way because I had a very wrong Idea of what had happened .

I have few queries btw ,
The bike after starting (as in cool engine ) is extremely jerky , no I don't mean mild snatching that are present in even hot engine below 4k rpm but severe snatches and they are present even after 4/5 bars on temp gauge in first 3 gears ( 1st gear is insufferable , 2nd too and 3rd is just about tolerable and coming from a CI bullet , a regular bike guy will probably brand it defective the way it is right now ) . Fuel is premium indian oil(91 RON) from a company owned and run pump , has a good reputation so chances of adulterated fuel is very low . Bike is just 140km on Odo , I assume it will get smoother with passage of miles and is the cold engine behavior normal ? I should mention I keep the bike below 5k rpm , tried 2nd today at 6/7k rpm and it was still jerky for the rpm .

Twice now the gear indicator has malfunctioned during shifting to neutral in standstill , it shows 0 but stall on letting off clutch . Should I be concerned or such occurrence are typical ? It doesn't really bother me but at the same time I don't wish a complication later on .

Tonight during a short acceleration burst ( almost WOT ) , the front wobbled slightly (nothing scary but noticeable , road is good ) . Is that normal , excuse the question if it comes across as newbie/vague but I am not used to this type of acceleration hence really have no idea at all what is normal and what is not .

Last edited by basuroy : 21st October 2014 at 23:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks