Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:30   #3736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
I recently acquired a duke390 and I'm finding it hard to take my mind off the number of vibrating and rattling parts. Thanks to my OCD tendencies and the vibe free R15 that I owned previously.
1.I have solved most of the rattles except the belly pan and MID rattles between 2500-4000rpm. Any pointers as to what can be done?

My daily commute of 8km traverses through 4-5 traffic signals.
2.Am I better off switching the bike off or letting it
idle(most ppl frown at the sound the bike makes) considering the fuel efficiency and coolant temperture.

3. The fuel efficiency / average values vanishes sometimes. May be it is some sort of loose connection that I couldn't replicate at the svc. Rest of the MID features works flawlessly.

PS- I know a big single vibrates and I am ready to live with the vibrations from the seat and foot pegs but not rattles. Apart from that its been a blissful ownership.
I think you will have to live with the rattles. You coukd tighten the screws/bolts of the number plate holder, windscreen, belly pan, fuel tank lid.
Old 24th January 2015, 14:25   #3737
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
I recently acquired a duke390 and I'm finding it hard to take my mind off the number of vibrating and rattling parts............

My daily commute of 8km traverses through 4-5 traffic signals.
2.Am I better off switching the bike off or letting it
idle(most ppl frown at the sound the bike makes) considering the fuel efficiency and coolant temperture.
Easiest solution for taking your mind off the rattles - hit 5th gear n take it to the redline. Rattles will be the last thing on your mind

And remember, you bought a hooligan. If you see people frowning, give it a nicè rev. You are not a conformist. That bright orange frame will never let you fit in

However, I switch off the bike if the wait at the signal is over 60 sec. Even on the hottest days, it starts right up
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 18:11   #3738
BHPian

I have a weird problem with my bike regarding the vibrations. My bike vibrates, a lot; there is noticeable blur due to vibrations at the fuel tank. However, yesterday at around 6k rpm, I sensed a peculiar vibration originating right under my crotch. It was really really high frequency. So much so that I started getting a tingling itch under my balls. It was highly uncomfortable.

Will be taking the bike to the SVC on Tuesday to get the issue resolved. Stupid Vibrations.
Old 24th January 2015, 18:18   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I have a weird problem with my bike regarding the vibrations. My bike vibrates, a lot; there is noticeable blur due to vibrations at the fuel tank. However, yesterday at around 6k rpm, I sensed a peculiar vibration originating right under my crotch. It was really really high frequency. So much so that I started getting a tingling itch under my balls. It was highly uncomfortable.

Will be taking the bike to the SVC on Tuesday to get the issue resolved. Stupid Vibrations.
As for the fuel tank vibration, the most common one is that of the fuel cap. Check it once in low rpms. Solution would be to fevi-quick a rubber O Ring around the keyhole.
As for the saddle vibration, you can check the alignment of your seat and get the bolts tightened under. Also, check the bolts and nuts on the plastic cover like thing under the fuel tank (which would run parallel to your thighs). There are two bolts in that area (if I'm not wrong) and I opened them, tightened them back to have my vibrations drastically reduced.

Last edited by barcalad : 24th January 2015 at 18:28.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 18:25   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
As for the fuel tank vibration, the most common one is that of the fuel cap. Check it once in low rpms. Solution would be to grease a rubber O Ring around the keyhole.
As for the saddle vibration, you can check the alignment of your seat and get the bolts tightened under. Also, check the bolts and nuts on the plastic cover like thing under the fuel tank (which would run parallel to your thighs). There are two bolts in that area (if I'm not wrong) and I opened them, tightened them back to have my vibrations drastically reduced.
Ive sorted the vibrations from the fuel cap. Will check the other bolts you mentioned. Thanx
Old 24th January 2015, 21:53   #3741
BHPian

Fuel tank vibrates more when it less on fuel . At least that hold true in my bike , I have established this over multiple refills . The increase in vibration between 10 litre and 2-3 litre is very apparent . In general once it is less than half , it proves difficult to ignore as I always hug the tank with my thighs . Also I expected the bike to become smooth once first service was done but my feeling is vibrations have increased while the engine is just as harsh . Either the accuracy of the internal machining or oil circulation or both are not at desirable level .

@Barcalad
Cookie to you for the tip about the bolts securing the plastic parts , will get them tightened next time I drop by the SVC . Should help my case.

Last edited by basuroy : 24th January 2015 at 22:10.
Old 25th January 2015, 01:06   #3742
Senior - BHPian

I am starting to forget but i never had vibration issues because i eliminated those that create noise due to vibration which makes it over pronounced.

Check list:-

- Headlight assembly - Open this up, tape loose wires and plastics and tighten it back. Use some old tyres if available to create a rubber cushion between the headlight assembly and anything attached to it.
- Get a rubber based washer like material for the fuel tank that touches the coolant nozzle.
- Tighten the engine guard at the bottom which makes the most noise.
- To test if the bike really vibrates check your rear view mirron and if you cannot see whats behind you the vibration is over the acceptable limit.

Overall it may require some trial and error to eliminate these minor vibrations.

And people, ride this bike hard. Not like cruising at 20km in 4th gear. Keep it above 7.5K RPM to actually enjoy what this bike is all about.

Dont fear to keep it above 7.5 k because the engine optimum power point is around this RPM and the bike feels so nimble and ready for anything you throw at it.
Old 25th January 2015, 02:23   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Thanks a ton schakravarthy

The job looks too neat. To adda few pointers went out on a ride today on my bike to test the windscreen. Took it to 100+ kmph for quite sometime. Did not see any flex in the screen. Wind protection was really good (Will be of super help in rains here in Goa) all and all Im impressed and will recommend this to all.

Shall post finer pics sooner.
Akshay Sir. Welcome to Team-bhp. Good to see our veteran Goa rider here. We will surely learn a lot from you. and to my other friends here. Akshay Tendulkar is an extremely passionate and prolific rider at Goa and very knowledgeable too.

By the way, I have fitted the Yamaha FZ jugaad windscreen on my bike till I get the China bubble windscreen in a fortnight. Shall we meet some day and check out these both windshields for wind gust and all because you already have the bubble windshield ? II shall retain which ever windshield offers me the better protection.

And by the way did you go to Orange-day today at Madgao? I missed it.

Last edited by ashkamath : 25th January 2015 at 02:34.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 02:54   #3744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Akshay Sir. Welcome to Team-bhp. Good to see our veteran Goa rider here. We will surely learn a lot from you. and to my other friends here. Akshay Tendulkar is an extremely passionate and prolific rider at Goa and very knowledgeable too.

By the way, I have fitted the Yamaha FZ jugaad windscreen on my bike till I get the China bubble windscreen in a fortnight. Shall we meet some day and check out these both windshields for wind gust and all because you already have the bubble windshield ? II shall retain which ever windshield offers me the better protection.

And by the way did you go to Orange-day today at Madgao? I missed it.
Thanks a ton Ashok Sir. Glad to see you here

Yeah the bubble screen does offer good wind blast protection. About checking the windscreens out I've been banned from riding for a month. 25 days past still feel the pain in my back. So hopefully before IBW I will be up on the saddle comfortably.

About the Orange Day I did not go even this time. Being at work was a priority
Old 25th January 2015, 10:01   #3745
BHPian

Hi all,

I rode from bangalore to goa yesterday on my Duke 390, i see the engine oil is almost nonexistent, can anyone please help me with a shop wherein i can buy Motul. I am at palolem, please suggest a shop closest to it.

Thanks
Surajit
Old 25th January 2015, 12:20   #3746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Hi all,

I rode from bangalore to goa yesterday on my Duke 390, i see the engine oil is almost nonexistent, can anyone please help me with a shop wherein i can buy Motul. I am at palolem, please suggest a shop closest to it.

Thanks
Surajit
Can you tell us how you checked it? I mean the engine condition, whether the engine was heated to normal operating temperature or cold. Also, on the duke, the bike has to be tilted about 10° to the right side for you to see the oil in the window.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 12:31   #3747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks
Surajit
How can the engine oil simply evaporate? You sure there are no leaks?
Old 25th January 2015, 12:36   #3748
BHPian

Added flavour, you are right, false alarm. I tilted and checked, oil shows. I got alarmed as I could see the level before starting from bangalore, i confirmed this service tech Rohit @ KTM Marthahalli. He was really helpful.

Thanks for the response added flavour
Old 25th January 2015, 13:22   #3749
BHPian

How much does it cost to change the Metzeler pair on the 390? What is their average life, if reasonably ridden (if thats possible on the 390!)

Are the MRFs on the D200 considerably cheaper to replace? Am assuming that they would be more durable as well given that the Metz is soft compound
Old 25th January 2015, 14:06   #3750
BHPian

[quote=schakravarthy;3628918]Here you go!

This looks great....

However I have done a little different and maybe easier implementation of this. Here are the photos, the windscreen is of ZMR; it is slightly longer and wider than the Fazer one. It works great. Also for benefit of all, in one of the photos do note the placement of DRL's(rather RL's only as they are connected with parking lamp) and horns. DRL's sourced from ebay and horns are of Hella, they are small but great costed some 1000 bucks and sound good on the Duke.

The KTM replica looks worth trying.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150125wa0002.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150125wa0003.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150125wa0004.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150125wa0005.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150125wa0006.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150125wa0008.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150125wa0007.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks