Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 12:23   #3781
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have observed this from the day I got my motorcycle but never looked at it as a problem that I need to address. The rpm increase is not over 2000-2200rpm and settles down almost immediately after the first spike. The engine rpm is a little unsettled when cold but stabilizes after reaching optimum temperature.

I too have started the practise of a little over 1 min idle cause the mornings are super cold and I start my ride to work at quarter past six AM. The warm up has also gotten rid of the stalling problem I used to face when ambient temperatures are very low and if the engine is cold too. I don't face the stalling issue at all in the evenings when I head back home from work and I don't do engine warm up in the evenings.
Well, that's a relief! Turns out me and man_of_steel are not the only ones following this practice, then. I find it highly beneficial, probably because I've spent 16 years in one of the coldest places (winters are crazy) of India. Almost everyone out there used to idle for a few minutes, while diesel vehicles used to idle as well as rev.
I happened to ask the KTM technician about this and got the standard template 'All 390's have this' answer. For a change, this time he's actually right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Happens in my bike too. I let my bike idle till a couple of bars pop up on the temperature gauge, yet, the bike exhibits the same behaviour as that what you've noted.
Maybe an auto-choke kind of feature, since the bike may perceive it as still being a cold engine, even with 2 bars on the guage?
Yes. There have been instances when I've saddled up with 2 bars on the gauge and yet have faced embarrassing stalls. I now make it a point to start at 3 and start while giving it some extra revs.
The features and characteristics of this motorcycle never cease to amaze me!
Old 30th January 2015, 09:36   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

Yes. There have been instances when I've saddled up with 2 bars on the gauge and yet have faced embarrassing stalls. I now make it a point to start at 3 and start while giving it some extra revs.
The features and characteristics of this motorcycle never cease to amaze me!
Its a relief for me too. I also idle my bike approx 1 min before riding out. It stalls occasionally, when it comes to an idle, if it is not properly warmed up. I have made quite a fuss about it, in this forum. And also at the service station, so much so that they replaced fuel pump, and decompressor and a host of other checks to satisfy me. :-P
Old 30th January 2015, 12:30   #3783
BHPian

The stalling issue in a cold engine is present in almost all 390s. I just idle my bike for a 30sec and use throttle input while letting out the clutch lever in the first 0.5km.
If the bike stalls when its cold, it makes fuss to fire up again.

I am losing about 5psi/week or 2psi/3days from my front tyre. Tried the standard soap water test but couldn't spot any leaks.
How do we test for slow leaks from valve?
Should I get Slime tyre sealant filled and be done with it?

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 30th January 2015 at 12:37.
Old 30th January 2015, 12:34   #3784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
I am losing about 5psi/week or 2psi/3days from my front tyre. Tried the standard soap water test but couldn't spot any leaks.
How do we test for slow leaks from valve?
Decided to get Slime tyre sealant filled and be done with it.
Check for any small punctures inside the groove of the tyre. These punctures are hard to diagnose.

The soap water test is also applicable to the valves.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 13:57   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
This being winter, every morning when I take off the cover and prepare for the first ride, I let the bike idle for 1 minute so. Having plonked myself on the saddle, when I release the clutch from the first gear, it moves normally (sometimes, stalls (understandable)), but then say I pull the clutch to apply the brake (in case of a parked car/pillar), it automatically picks up a high rpm (than it was) and then automatically idles down to normal after 1-2 seconds. This happens only in the mornings or anytime of the day when I start my first sortie.

Anyone else facing this? I happened to read one gentleman's query about almost this very same issue on his Stunner, and hence I decided to write mine here as well.
Yes normal behavior . Especially pronounced on my bike when it is foggy instead of sunny (even if the temperature is still cold ). While this goes away as soon as engine heats up which is normally 2/3km riding ( I idle for maybe 30-40 sec , time required to put on helmet and gloves ) , one thing that bothers me is the behavior when there is fog . Then the bike is so harsh and jerky that is takes all the joy out of riding it .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 17:55   #3786
Senior - BHPian

I distinctly remember the earlier few production lots had issues with starting up when hot. My Feb 2014 model however starts up immediately even after being stuck in choc a vloc traffic on the hottest of summer afternoons ...... and I am talking Delhi!!!! here. So you can imagine the ambient temperature

I think Bajaj initially set up the bikes so that they would strat up even on the coldest of days, given that these motorcycles would be shipped to many countries with a predominantly cold climate. This probably meant that the bikes heated up quicker and caused a host of issues in a tropical country like ours

The same has however been rectified and I doubt anyone faces issues with startup when the engine is hovering around the max temp mark. A very welcome change IMO

Additionally; I feel that in comparison to the older bikes, the newer bikes:

- Sound better
- Have better low RMP response; although its still quite jerky below 4500 RPM

And it could just be me, but the clutch isn't too bad either. Not too stiff I mean. Or maybe its because I hardly ever pull the clutch lever in completelly unless coming to a stop. The clutch engagement point or "friction zone" comes in after releasing it more than 50%. In slow moving traffic, there is no reward for pulling the clutch in fully
Old 30th January 2015, 22:57   #3787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I distinctly remember the earlier few production lots had issues with starting up when hot. My Feb 2014 model however starts up immediately even after being stuck in choc a vloc traffic on the hottest of summer afternoons ...... and I am talking Delhi!!!! here. So you can imagine the ambient temperature

I think Bajaj initially set up the bikes so that they would strat up even on the coldest of days, given that these motorcycles would be shipped to many countries with a predominantly cold climate. This probably meant that the bikes heated up quicker and caused a host of issues in a tropical country like ours

The same has however been rectified and I doubt anyone faces issues with startup when the engine is hovering around the max temp mark. A very welcome change IMO

- Sound better

And it could just be me, but the clutch isn't too bad either. Not too stiff I mean. Or maybe its because I hardly ever pull the clutch lever in completelly unless coming to a stop. The clutch engagement point or "friction zone" comes in after releasing it more than 50%. In slow moving traffic, there is no reward for pulling the clutch in fully
There are more differences in the temp control department. The lastest bikes comes with a shroud around the radiator fan. The hot air is apparantly directed away from the thighs and the fan is unidirectional. My bike is sept 2014 model black. It doesnt come with the shroud. We had a visit from the state sales head few weeks ago, and according to him the older fans cannot be replaced, without changing the whole circuitry.

And also please do not attempt a sprocket size change. It is not covered under warranty. Larger sprockets are not available for 390 models in power parts either.
Old 30th January 2015, 23:13   #3788
BHPian

Quote:

- Sound better
I agree with you. I have keenly observed these two factors in both year models, and my conclusions have been the same as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
We had a visit from the state sales head few weeks ago, and according to him the older fans cannot be replaced, without changing the whole circuitry.
I highly doubt that. Perhaps you might want to cross check with various SVC managers. My fan stopped functioning and they replaced the entire unit with a completely new one without even touching the circuit or wirings. It took almost 1 hour for the entire setup to be done properly. And it works like a charm now. So much so, that even during the dreaded peak hour traffic jams at Silk Board/Corporation Circle/ORR, it stays at least 4 bars below maximum, without giving me a moment of discomfort. (or maybe I'm used to the heat )
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 23:22   #3789
BHPian

Quote:

- Sound better

Mine is from the first lot and I have no issues with hot starts. It just had to do with the correct shims. Some bikes did not have shims of the correct size which affected valve clearance and hence starting issues. I remember a mechanic at a Bajaj ASS once said the shims are either a size low or a size high - which meant either starting issues or more than normal clattering noise.

Regarding low speed ride-ability, I have ridden a 3k run 2014 D390 and compared with my 10K run 2013 D390. My bike feels much more 'settled' and relatively less jerkier. A fellow rider also commented that he feels much more comfortable with his bike after 10K km! Same with the clutch, probably it's a lot less heavier than before plus I have gotten used to it now - I know the exact bite point and it doesn't pain my fingers anymore in B2B traffic!

Basically apart from the high(er) idle RPM on the 2014 bikes (which was done to solve the stall-when-clutch-disengaged issue), I do not see much difference between the older and the newer lots. Some say the newer lots are a little slower, but nobody knows if it's true.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 30th January 2015 at 23:24.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 00:33   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you. I have keenly observed these two factors in both year models, and my conclusions have been the same as yours.

I highly doubt that. Perhaps you might want to cross check with various SVC managers. My fan stopped functioning and they replaced the entire unit with a completely new one without even touching the circuit or wirings. It took almost 1 hour for the entire setup to be done properly. And it works like a charm now. So much so, that even during the dreaded peak hour traffic jams at Silk Board/Corporation Circle/ORR, it stays at least 4 bars below maximum, without giving me a moment of discomfort. (or maybe I'm used to the heat )
Can you confirm the presence of the shroud in the fan. It can be seen visually from the back side of the fan. Can u put up a photo. If this is the new fan, then its good news.
Old 31st January 2015, 01:41   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you confirm the presence of the shroud in the fan. It can be seen visually from the back side of the fan. Can u put up a photo. If this is the new fan, then its good news.
I can share the sentiment. And you're right, post 4Q 2014, Dukes have started to come with plastic shrouds around the radiator fan, currently it's present in the D200 and the Duke 390 and the newer lots do come with another plastic shroud "INSIDE" the rear shocker to prevent from crud intrusion and another shroud near the rear shocker (9 o clock to the rear fluid reservoir) small plastic shroud or I'd call it a flap, to prevent crud throw from the tires to shockers.

A photo was apparently posted by one of the users in xBhp, a welcome addition I'd say.

But hey, at least KTM doesn't fall under the Peter Pan syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
..... which meant either starting issues or more than normal clattering noise.....
Perhaps just to toss some sushi around, my Duke 390 was purchased June 2nd 2014, and sans all the above mentioned points I'd thrown in for mithun, I second your thought, the newer lots do have a higher idle RPM and the bike spent almost all of the 1500 KMS it clocked, purely in Ooty, early morning starts were a breeze. Cranked at 3:30 AM in the morning, mercury hovering at 4 degrees, single crank, no fuss! Idle? No matter what, I'm hard pressed on the idle theory, my car or bike undergoes this treatment for at least one minute, bare minimum.

Never encountered a single stall on the run, except for twice when the bike was new, and that was me engaging the cogs, side stand down, getting to know the basics (lazy to read the manual)

Now, a HoH comparison from the older to newer lots, I find the older lots to be more fun, and throttle-to-acceleration ratio is something to be ashamed of in the newer lots. The older lots, simply shined though not by a big margin, but yes, there is a difference. Well, karma comes back to say, you're screwed and that's the stalling issue, again a lot depends on the rider et al, but again these are just my observations.

Well, all this being said, I divorced her on December, 28th 2014, 4:45 PM (less than 1500 kays on the ODO) for incorrigible differences.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 31st January 2015 at 02:02.
Old 31st January 2015, 10:59   #3792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post

Well, all this being said, I divorced her on December, 28th 2014, 4:45 PM (less than 1500 kays on the ODO) for incorrigible differences.
Curious to know what were those incorrigible differences! Btw, recently I almost decided to sell it off, only to change my mind after a ride. Had to ask people to ignore the ad I posted as I'm not selling it.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 12:32   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Curious to know what were those incorrigible differences! Btw, recently I almost decided to sell it off, only to change my mind after a ride. Had to ask people to ignore the ad I posted as I'm not selling it.
Story time I guess. As I always say the bike is very adept at trolling, be it both sensual or a pain in the posterior it does a good job at it.

While, even I was apprehensive of the fact that I've posted an ad; deep down I knew selling the bike asap would offer long term peace of mind. Well, it did.

My bike unfortunately had lots of niggling issues. First week of the purchase was an absolutely honey-mooner bliss, she obliges to every single thing, impresses you in ways you've never experienced, toss in the Ooty, village backroads, it was an excellent union.

Fast forward a month, after a date with Indra, she was upset, first signs include fogging speedometer, water vapor droplets and totally getting useless in heavy -- I mean a literal ass whipping downpour. Though it worked fine, clumsy fit and finish of the speedo. KTM says it's the case with most bike, I wasn't impressed. REPLACED.

Later, a few days after, I notice coolant leaking from the temperature O ring, (the blue switch) wasn't really alarmed, but it was slow enough to make the ring full bazooka in a month or so.. Again, REPLACED.

Now, right from day one, the rear shocker was leaky, though initially I suspected just a usual wear and tear, as days went by I could sense the rear getting squatty, spongy or whatever term you can throw in, again, fuss later. REPLACED.

Say Cheese!!

While replacing the rear shocker, god forbid why, the left switch gear high/low didn't work, fuss later, again REPLACED.

Now, it got me thinking, how would this bike fare after a few thousand miles on the odo, would it still reach 30k without much fuss, let alone peace of mind factor. My personal thought would be, absolutely no.

Considering, I live 80 KMS one way to hit the KTM SS, I can safely say, the desire to let go was as itchy as ever.

My 2009 220 was a gem, absolute gem. To this day, never a day goes without re-living those beautiful memories I've experienced, just so versatile.

It's been months since I've parted ways, but the little honey mooner experience that we shared, it's etched forever. But again, it's like those Amsterdam doxy.

I don't bring horsepower into equation much when comparing other motorcycles. I see forums flooded with HP to experience ratio, but I personally think people are missing a point. Again this is subject to personal discretion. At the end of the day, any machine, as long as a it offers you peace of mind, and lets you unwind with a good nights' sleep, there, you've made the right investment and the right machine.

For now caged, but two new ladies would be joining the stable in a few months.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 31st January 2015 at 12:42.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 12:42   #3794
BHPian

I dont know if its due to the fact that I only ride my bike over the weekends, or that I ride here like a moped, or that I am a pussy; but the first niggle my bike gave me was post 5000kms after I rode on a particularly bad stretch of road for about 100 kms. That road was so bad that it totalled one of the Duke200s and several other bikes had assorted injuries.

Owning a motorcycle has literally changed my life around. And no matter how many niggles my duke throws at me later on I am going to keep mending it and keep riding it till the end of time. I couldnt care less about how powerful my bike is, or how unrefined it is or how much more sense some other bike makes. I dont think any other bike comes close to the 390 in terms of character and personality.

EDIT: I almost missed the point I came here to make in the first place lol
Ive heard many many showroom employs claiming that the bike is "Ready To Race" thus not requiring any sort of engine run in. Huh. I ran in my bike the way the manual told me to. Not exceeding 80kmph for the first 1500kms and I feel my bike runs better than many other "Ready to Race" bikes.

Last edited by ashwin1224 : 31st January 2015 at 12:46.
Old 31st January 2015, 17:48   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
I shall do that by tomorrow. Been a busy day today and still is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Ive heard many many showroom employs claiming that the bike is "Ready To Race" thus not requiring any sort of engine run in.
Please do not rely on the words of the breed of technicians who didn't adjust my head beam focus because 'it is too risky as dipper will come completely down too and I'll end up seeing only my mudguard '. Another one is that I shouldn't tighten my suspension as 'seat will become hard and affect my spine'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks