Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 20:52   #2281
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
For the beam quality, spread, throw, the reflector is the limiting factor.

Better brighter bulbs just increase the illumination within essentially the same beam (give or take a bit in terms of focal point of max lumens).
Thanks for the reply, what I get from your post is that a stronger bulb will increase the intensity in the original beam(throw and spread) and will not increase both, correct me if I am wrong. I guess that is fine for me as I am not satisfied with the intensity of the beam, feels too dim. Will upgrade to the xtreme visions first and will see what happens.
Old 10th April 2014, 10:59   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I meant using HIDs or LEDs in the stock headlight sealed beam housing of the Duke. Not as auxilliary running lights. As such also, in my personal experience, the lights you have (these are the ones Rajiv fom Mumbai sells right?) have decent spread and everything is bright and cosy close up and around. But the throw is not very good. And the beam wavers. And on a bike that can do 170+, you need lumens and throw. Big time.
correcta. the bullet /ambassador type dome designs extract the maximum. A friend runs an HID (only high beam) without a projector on his TB, and its blinding. Pain for oncoming traffic. I have seen some guys running on a 100W halogen, without much battery issue. i guess the 14 amps battery could take it, not sure if its bearable by 390's battery.
The LEDs which i have are 10 w each, with following values. (i have no idea how good or bad these are)
  • Theoretical Lumens Output: 1000 lm
  • Operating Lumens Output: 720lm(CREE LED)
Other LED models with higher wattage is also available. I have kept them pointing towards the low beam throw area, and they do well for about 30-40 mts. the LEDs when used in combination with stock halogen high beam gives much much improved visibility. added advantage with the LED lights are that oncoming traffic notices you cos of the not so common 3 lights arrangement. ALso, during daytime, i ride with just the LEDs on. So far, i have not seem any impact on the battery. touchwood!
The point i was trying to make is having those LEDs help in many ways, as we dont really have much affordable options to choose from. given the 390's dome design, not sure if there will be any visible impact between the OEM halogen, and philips / osram bulbs. saying this, as personally, i did not find any big difference between the philips xtreme and oem halogen on the C5.

Quote:
6k? Budget is not concern here, what is want is better illumination in a stock setup, without adding any external mounted lights. Any pointers?
not at all sure about feasibility, but feasibility of a 100W bulb on the 390 would be worth diggin into.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 10th April 2014 at 11:03.
Old 11th April 2014, 11:13   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Have many folks have had the crash guard screw shear off?

What started off as the usual ride from work to home, I could hear some weird creaking noises. Was difficult to replicate. I reached home, parked the bike. Did not bother checking for the noise. I suspect accumulated mud on the rear spring as we had a short spell of rain.

I dust the bike this morning and notice the crash guards are not aligned. The left one was slightly off. I touched it and it moved. There was no lower screw to be seen. It looks like it has sheared off. The upper allen key was intact but loose. Tightened it and headed to work.

The bike has not had a tumble of any kind. I know it has been moved in the office parking lot (unavoidable) and this could have resulted in the crash guard getting hit with some other motorcycle part. I can't find a single scratch on the crash guard for a sign of a hit so its a little concerning on what happened to the lower bolt that holds it in place. It looks like a common bolt with the engine mounted to it. I need to look closer.
Old 11th April 2014, 11:18   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Sandeep has already told me that there are some fiddly bits in the headlight assy which I am sure to obliterate.
Headlamp bulb replacement is a <10 min job. Its the pilot lamp thats a royal pain to access and replace. I don't know why they put a screw at the bottom. A clip fit cap would have been easier to remove for the pilot lamp.

Be gentle, like you are with your lady and you won't break anything.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:47   #2285

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Anyone with any experience with the Service Center in New Bombay - Seawoods. Want to get my 1st service done someplace good. Thanks.
The Seawoods service center is one of the better ones IMHO. I've had two services done there + diagnosing what was the wrong with my fan assembly. My personal experience till date has had no complaints. Very accommodative with last minute appointments as well.

I bought my bike from Lower Parel, but my experience with them - to say the least - has been very disappointing. Living in Goregaon, I visited the service center there, but it does not yet come close to the level of professionalism, competence or care shown by the guys at Seawoods.

Most of the guys in our group of 390 owners (about 20) take their bikes to Seawoods from all corners of the city. You should definitely give it a shot.

Regards
Kaushik
KaushikN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 17:31   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaushikN View Post
The Seawoods service center is one of the better ones IMHO. I've had two services done there + diagnosing what was the wrong with my fan assembly. My personal experience till date has had no complaints. Very accommodative with last minute appointments as well.

I bought my bike from Lower Parel, but my experience with them - to say the least - has been very disappointing. Living in Goregaon, I visited the service center there, but it does not yet come close to the level of professionalism, competence or care shown by the guys at Seawoods.

Most of the guys in our group of 390 owners (about 20) take their bikes to Seawoods from all corners of the city. You should definitely give it a shot.

Regards
Kaushik
Thanks Kaushik. Will definately take to bike to Seawoods then. Cheers!!
Old 11th April 2014, 22:50   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Be gentle, like you are with your lady and you won't break anything.
Even if you break, its a 390. The replacement parts are DIRT cheap and i am not joking.

The best way to remove it is to simply follow the guide. Another trick i used was to tape these wires and make it into simple bundles to have easy access to that tiny little space.

Its more than a month without 390 and i miss it more than my hot kesari at saravana bavan.
Old 12th April 2014, 04:31   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Further update on the braking:

Its Bad!!! Really really bad!!!

I am easily able to "pinch" my ring and little finger without really applying too much pressure
Quote:

What's scary is the braking. The front brake I felt did not have any bite in the initial part of the "Squeeze". Brakes were bled n pads cleaned with sandpaper. I was told there will be some loss of braking as the pads have just been cleaned n need to bed in

I ride back home, over 10 Kms. The braking now is just plain bad. I was better off earlier.

I tried squeezing the front brake levers of some other (white paint scheme) 390s. Sooooo much better. In fact, checked out another black 390. Same poor front brake feel as mine

Does anyone know if there's a problem with the new lot wrt front brakes
Quote:
More updates on braking issue:

Will be going to the Gurgaon center tomorrow to have the job carried out. Lets see how it goes. Will keep the updates flowing till the issue is resolved.
Quote:
Anyhow; the brake feel, feedback and stopping abaility has improved a lot. I would still like some more "bite" though
The brake issue is back and it's much much worse than before. The brake lever all of a sudden has lost any feel / pressure whàtsoever. I pull the lever in (2 fingers) right up to the point where I pinch my ring finger n pinky. There is literally zilch stopping power. I pull the brakes in with 4 fingers n there is some loss of speed

And guess where / when I found this issue ........ On a national highway, at 3 am, surrounded by trucks

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 12th April 2014 at 04:34.
Old 13th April 2014, 13:31   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
The brake issue is back and it's much much worse than before. The brake lever all of a sudden has lost any feel / pressure whàtsoever. I pull the lever in (2 fingers) right up to the point where I pinch my ring finger n pinky. There is literally zilch stopping power. I pull the brakes in with 4 fingers n there is some loss of speed

And guess where / when I found this issue ........ On a national highway, at 3 am, surrounded by trucks
Rims breaking, Brakes failing. This is scary!
Old 14th April 2014, 10:36   #2290
Team-BHP Support

How many of you guys have graduated from an R15/CBR-250R to this? How does it stack against? How is the ride? Is it a fill it, shut it & forget it Motorcycle as probiking ASC would be ~200kms away.

Does it still have a waiting period?

I was thinking to wait & graduate to a 650F, but seems it is still sometimes away & it would be out of reach because of $$$ for the time being.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th April 2014 at 10:38.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:44   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How many of you guys have graduated from an R15/CBR-250R to this? How does it stack against? How is the ride? Is it a fill it, shut it & forget it Motorcycle as probiking ASC would be ~200kms away.

I was thinking to wait & graduate to a 650F, but seems it is still sometimes away & it would be out of reach because of $$$ for the time being.
Me and a close riding buddy (owns a Duke 390) are personally getting strongly motivated to look at the Ninja 300.

That bike oozes quality (what a lovely clutch action ....), looks really big compared to the 250 it replaces (optical illusion?), and there are multitude You Tube videos of top speeds in the same ballpark of the big Duke 690.

As I said, strongly motivated. Just the riding position is a concern.

Last edited by ebonho : 14th April 2014 at 11:46.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 12:01   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it a fill it, shut it & forget it Motorcycle as probiking ASC would be ~200kms away.

Let's just say you will have to keep filling it mine has been largely trouble free. Sitting at the service centre as i type this, for 2nd service. 200 km ride for a service is crazy. Don't think there's a waiting period now. How things change in 6 months!
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 12:13   #2293
BHPian

Hi,

Does anyone know the exact make/type of engine oil that is shipped in the Duke 390 for the intitial run in. I think i need to top up a bit and dont want to get oil types mixed up.

Thanks.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:36   #2294
Mik
BHPian

Quote:

I moved from a CBR 250R to this. Frankly, the CBR engine is not really like the Unicorn or what you expect a Honda to be. Its pretty rough.
Performance wise, CBR stands nowhere close to the 390. The handling and control on the KTM is much much better (a generous amount of that praise is for the tyres too)
Ride quality is better in the CBR due to a softer setup.

I have done 19+ hours rides on both and the difference in body pain were as follows
Bum:: KTM fried me with its sharp edges of the seat. CBR was more comfortable.
Hands/Shoulders:: CBR was painful due to its forward leaning position which resulted in all the shocks of the road translating to the hands and shoulders. The KTM was much better here due to the upright position.
Legs: No difference. Same amount of pain.
Wind resistance:: Personally, i think its overhyped. Over such long hours, unless you are in a car, you will bear the brunt. You cannot keep crouched for so many hours. The windscreen generally channels air right onto your helmet or shoulders, so that creates its own fatigue problems even on a bike with windscreens.

A critical difference is the speed you carry. Over the same distance, the KTM will reach faster (not just top speeds - each and every overtake/quick maneuver/stop go exits is faster on the KTM) so you will put up lesser hours on it

Is the KTM a fill it/shut it/forget it bike. Unless you get a lemon, it should be. Also depends on what you expect out of a bike. Personally, I am ok with little niggles, chain slapping noises and squeaks as long as the bike brings a smile to my face when I ride. Some might obsess over the niggles and get frustrated.
Mik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:08   #2295
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a bunch three of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Is the KTM a fill it/shut it/forget it bike. Unless you get a lemon, it should be. Also depends on what you expect out of a bike. Personally, I am ok with little niggles, chain slapping noises and squeaks as long as the bike brings a smile to my face when I ride. Some might obsess over the niggles and get frustrated.
This is where I am concerned. Of the close to 4+ years, I had the R15 as well as the CBR (only 8k on CBR) I didn't have to adjust the chain, forget any other expense or niggles.

Not to raise any eye brows, but seeing, few niggles/issues being cropped up I am a bit apprehensive.

Though, I always fancied the N-300 (not because of its fairing :P) but the cost of D-390 made me look at it. Lets see...

Thanks once again guys, much appreciated. If I bite the bait, will update for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks