Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 20:33   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

The cornering report card: Result = Flunked with flying colours

After absorbing the advice of my bretheren here; decided to give this proper cornering technique another shot.

First; the good part. I was able to slide half a cheek off with little to no weight on the bars.I could also stick my knee out. But thats where the good news ends.

I think my problem is even more basic. I dont think I can find my sweet spot yet on the seat. I tried leaning over the tank (not full on crouch) and slid my bum back. My elbows dropped a bit and were almost parallel to the road. I immediately felt a lot looser on the bike; much much better. But the moment I would need to move a little (like braking, changing gear); I would go sliding into the tank. Or; I would really feel the load on my palms / wrists (as I get pushed ahead). OR; I literally fight to jam my knee into the flared area by raising my claf muscles and clamping down on the tank with both legs REAL hard. This made my legs sore and I felt really tired after some time. I am not feeling "connected" to the bike.

This is a huge problem. I am unable to get a lock and thus end up supporting myself on the bars. Coz I am supporting myself on the bars I cannot be smooth with my throttle. I feel nervous and twitchy on the bike and it gets further aggravated owing to inconsistent throttle. I simply cannot keep my line. The bike bobs up and down and simply does not feel in control.

I'm gonna try gripping the tank without wearing the knee pads and also try some body positions on the bike when stationary. Lets see how it goes.

I will keep updating my progress. All those who responded to my queries - Thank you! Anything further help would be most helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
No problemo bro! Since you are from Delhi do enroll for the 390 track day at BIC
AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have a long day at work today and an early visit at the relative's tomorrow. CANNOT believe I am going to miss this. This is horrible. How was this advertised? CANNOT beleive I am going to miss this.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 14th March 2014 at 20:34.
Old 15th March 2014, 00:55   #2162
BHPian

Wish we could practice cornering on a simulator some place which allows you to mistakes without getting hurt. Sounds pathetic from a biker but better safe then sorry.
Old 16th March 2014, 12:00   #2163
BHPian

Hello, tbhpians

I have booked a black duke 390 last week and have been promised a delivery within 2 months. I wanted to know a few things before the bike arrives, duke 390 owners kindly enlighten me.

1) I have read in many places that in the 2014 model duke 390s, some of the issues have been resolved, I wanted to know whether since mine will be the black one, does it mean that it will be obviously a 2014 model since it is recently launched or no I need to check the VIN no.

2) I also want to know whether the hand guards come as standard or do I need to purchase them separately? I am asking this as the demo bikes didn't have any. Also in many d390 pictures, some are having white hand guards in black duke 390, doesn't black d390 come with matching black hand guards?

3) Lastly, the d390 had lots of vibrations as compared to the d200. The bike had just run 710 kms, will the vibrations recede after running in?

Thanks in advance
Old 16th March 2014, 12:20   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Hello, tbhpians

I have booked a black duke 390 last week and have been promised a delivery within 2 months. I wanted to know a few things before the bike arrives, duke 390 owners kindly enlighten me.
Good going bro! To the best of my knowledge,

1) You will receive a 2014 midnight black Duke, the newer edition..its smoother than the older bikes for sure, i got mine a month back

2) You get handguards as standard, i got the white ones which i promptly removed

3) I'm not sure about the vibrations, the bike is pretty smooth and runs well provided you're not trying to pull off high gears in city traffic..having said that it isn't as refined as say even an old Ninja 250 but who the hell cares really! You won't really care once you get to ride it, can promise you that

Okay, just a quick update on the Duke - had the first service done at 715 km. Once it got Motul 300V flowing through it's veins it started feeling like a new bike. The sound changed, the power delivery got even smoother and these were things that were apparent within 2 minutes of riding. Had no idea an engine oil change would be so dramatic

The guy who serviced my bike had no tips to give at all about the 'running in'. All he said was on the lines of 'rip all you like and don't worry about the bike..just dont crash it'

Weird but im gonna stick to the 7500 rpm limit for a bit longer, why risk it.

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote option to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. Check this thread to see how this feature works.

Please also avoid quoting a lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. You can shorten the text you want to quote (the post you are replying to) within the two [/quote] tags in this case.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th March 2014 at 08:56. Reason: Posts merged
Old 16th March 2014, 12:40   #2165
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt reply, even I dont like those hand guards, will remove them in the showroom itself. But, why did they provide you with white hand guards, doesn't the blacn duke 390 some with matching black ones?
Old 16th March 2014, 21:08   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply, even I dont like those hand guards, will remove them in the showroom itself. But, why did they provide you with white hand guards, doesn't the blacn duke 390 some with matching black ones?
I'm really not sure as to why they're giving out white ones, i thought that was how it was tbh. I think i've seen a poster showing the bike with black ones and that definitely looked better. Wasn't too concerned cos im never going to use them am positive.
Old 17th March 2014, 07:17   #2167
Senior - BHPian

To the folks who are throwing away your hand guards - please rethink. The hand guards are certainly a help in the event of a minor crash or during one of the 'squeeze thru traffic' maneuvers either on your part or the other guy's.

It could represent the difference between complaining about the bad quality of the guards to Doc on T-BHP or complaining about the lack of flexibility in your fingers to the doctor, period.

I had a minor crash on the track in MMSC and broke both guards. The LHS hit the barrier and the RHS, the ground, as I examined the growth pattern of the grass closely. I am convinced that I had no injuries on my hands at all because of the guards and could ride again, and more importantly, ride back to Bangalore because of them. The gloves dont even have a mark on them.

So, please rethink.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 12:41   #2168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
To the folks who are throwing away your hand guards - please rethink. The hand guards are certainly a help in the event of a minor crash or during one of the 'squeeze thru traffic' maneuvers either on your part or the other guy's.

It could represent the difference between complaining about the bad quality of the guards to Doc on T-BHP or complaining about the lack of flexibility in your fingers to the doctor, period.

I had a minor crash on the track in MMSC and broke both guards. The LHS hit the barrier and the RHS, the ground, as I examined the growth pattern of the grass closely. I am convinced that I had no injuries on my hands at all because of the guards and could ride again, and more importantly, ride back to Bangalore because of them. The gloves dont even have a mark on them.

So, please rethink.
Thank you for the advice Sridhu, as you said am sure in the event of a crash the handguards will be a blessing. I was planning to have them on for my ride to Leh in June and remove them once back, but maybe i should reconsider.

They look crappy IMO and that's the only reason i had them removed; maybe a decent sticker job will change that

Glad that you did not have any injuries after the crash, hope the bike wasn't damamged too much !
Old 17th March 2014, 18:45   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
But the moment I would need to move a little (like braking, changing gear); I would go sliding into the tank. Or; I would really feel the load on my palms / wrists (as I get pushed ahead). OR; I literally fight to jam my knee into the flared area by raising my claf muscles and clamping down on the tank with both legs REAL hard. This made my legs sore and I felt really tired after some time. I am not feeling "connected" to the bike.
The things highlighted in bold are not supposed to happen mid corner. All hanging off, braking and gear change is supposed to happen before entering the corner. Like niranjan mentioned before, the busiest part while cornering is before entering the turn. After tipping the bike in, its just throttle maintenance and charging out before the apex.

And you will slide into the tank if you try to brake or shift gear after hanging off because no body on earth can grip a motorcycle tank with one leg while braking.

Quote:
I have a long day at work today and an early visit at the relative's tomorrow. CANNOT believe I am going to miss this. This is horrible. How was this advertised? CANNOT beleive I am going to miss this.

Sad brother! I was seeing some pics of some of my friends who attended the event. Seems like those buggers had a blast!!
Old 17th March 2014, 18:53   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Thank you for the advice Sridhu, as you said am sure in the event of a crash the handguards will be a blessing. I was planning to have them on for my ride to Leh in June and remove them once back, but maybe i should reconsider.
I second Sridhu's opinion on the handguards. I have been in multiple occasions saved by the handguards in the b2b traffic and also in sane speeds. In one instance a Dizzy trying to overtake another vehicle came into my path and smacked my handguard. Except for the paint residue, nothing untoward happened. I vouch for these although they look crappy.
So those who think of removing them, have a second thought about it.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 03:33   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The things highlighted in bold are not supposed to happen mid corner
Wish u n your loved ones a happy holi bud

Everyone- wish u a happy holi. God bless u all

Steel bhai Saab - never did I say I am braking or changing gear whilst cornering. I meant that even when I was riding straight (not cornering) and changed gears or braked, I was upsetting the bike. Hard braking saw me slide a bit into the tank. I was moving my upper leg as well as Lower to upshift / downshift (changing foot position on the pegs to reach the gear lever).

Issues:

- tired legs : it was a bad day. The first time I experienced the 390 in choc a vloc granrly traffic jam. It lasted well over half hour. When that bumper to bumper monstrosity was over I rode in heavy traffic. All this lasted for around 45 Kms and over one hour. By the time I got to the last 10 Kms of expressway, I was tired. I could not get a good grip on the tank, my position in the seat kept changing coz of that and I basically was quite frustrated

I went down to my office parking lot n on my stationary bike, I tried hanging a left (body position). To my surprise, I was able to hang off a little more than half a cheek and hold myself well using the outside leg. I even let go of my hands and was perched quite nicely atop the bike

Just then, I tried sticking the inside knee out.

DISASTER!!!

I immediately lost my grip on the tank as my outside leg protested, my upper body was automatically scampering upwards pulling my inner leg up and just then; I pulled a hamstring

I was already looking quite ridiculous trying those "stunts" on a stationary bike. The guards had all come to watch. With a ton of restraint and imagining being kicked in the nads as a worse off pain, I managed not to scream

Problem 2- little to no flexibility in the lower body

This should have been easy to figure out. I mean, I have trouble sitting cross legged. What on earth made me think I could do this? But not to worry. Sticking the knee out is not at all a compulsion, Mr Nick Ienastch Assures me.

I leave for home in the wee hours of when night meets day. No traffic and beautiful tarred well lit roads were calling (India gate area). I took the first roundabout gently. Except for a less than perfect throttle, it was all good. Did a couple of chicane type turns too (quick entry into the roundabout followed by a hasty exit to the right). Not perfect (not by a longshot) but I was smiling.

So, for now the inner leg rests against the trellis and I go to work on throttle control.

More to come gents. Take care n ride safe.
Old 18th March 2014, 03:40   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Ratting noise is COMMON - Your reservoir is probably rattling with the tank.

Near the oil filter there could be some traces of oil and it may be called leaking but at a really really really slow pace. Get it checked without cleaning the bike. The Service centre should diagnoise if its a bigger issue or a common problem due to bad quality of seal.

6th - Gear. Go ahead and Enjoy. You will hardly screw the engine at that speed. If you are constantly riding at 8k to 10k RPM in 6th you are already over 150kmph which is pretty difficult to do continuously in our roads.
I have this rustling noise from the engine area, definitely not the engine in itself but there's something loose or what i don't really know..it's got this rustling, trebley quality to it and is irritating to say the least. Seems to be pronounced after a ride as opposed to a cold engine start. Do you have any idea what this could be? Any information would be most appreciated, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
My bike has done over 3500 Kms now and very recently ( about a couple of 100 Kms back, I started noticing some engine noise, a constant humming / buzzing if you may say.
Bro, did you manage to put your finger on this noise? I hear some noise from the engine area too , it's this irritating rustle which is driving me nuts. The bike's done 800 km, been serviced and now runs on Motul 300 V 15W50. While the engine oil change has reduced engine noise & it now feels more powerful , this darn noise has cropped up. It's not the engine for sure but something around there. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks man, ride safe !!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th March 2014 at 12:30. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
Old 18th March 2014, 08:18   #2173
Senior - BHPian

@vedderTheFixer: Check the belly pan - fits the description.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 11:45   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Wish u n your loved ones a happy holi bud
Belated same to you!

Quote:
Steel bhai Saab - never did I say I am braking or changing gear whilst cornering. I meant that even when I was riding straight (not cornering) and changed gears or braked, I was upsetting the bike. Hard braking saw me slide a bit into the tank. I was moving my upper leg as well as Lower to upshift / downshift (changing foot position on the pegs to reach the gear lever).
Sorry, i misunderstood. And, when it comes to braking in a straight line, the bike is upright and no centrifugal force playing with it. This means that you can directly transfer your weight onto the handlebar down the shocks to the tires. Which in turn increases the contact patch of tires and provides maximum grip! Boring explanation right? I know!

In a nut shell. You should not be loose on the handle bar while braking in a straight line. That's the reason you slide onto the tank! Resist the upper body's urge to fall forward by keeping the elbows stiff and pushing the bar down while braking. This prevents you from sliding on to the tank. Also you can hug the tank with both thighs lightly for better stability!

Quote:
Issues:

- tired legs :
I was not used to shifting my weights on the bike before hitting the tracks. I tried it that day and for the next 4 days my legs were paining like hell! More like how you feel on a Sunday or Monday after a Squat Friday at the gym!
Old 18th March 2014, 13:27   #2175
BHPian

I got a call from the Pro-Bike showroom last Friday to confirm my mail id. The reason give was that they are organizing an overnight ride to Kashid Beach (near Alibaug) only for D390 customers & were gonna mail all the details.

It is planned for 22-23 March & costs Rs 2700/- per person including Meals & Accommodation (in Tents). Fuel costs to be borne by the participants.

I will be going as it would be my first long distance trip on a bike (~ 450 kms).
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktm.jpg  

Most Viewed