Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 11:38   #1411
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Another thing. the downloaded 390 manual mentions the engine oil grade to be 15W50. But my mechanic recommended 10W40 which is what I got him during the service. Should I stick to 10W40 or next time change to 15W50? Anybody tried both ( of course at different times )???
Regarding the engine oil, please stick to the manufacturer recommended warm weather rating. In your case its W50. You can use W60 but don't go below W50. Same holds true for cold weather rating. If its 15W, then you can use 10W but don't use 20W. Reasoning is simple, the OEM would have run some tests and then recommended the oil grade. Best to stick to it or use better oils rather than using a grade that is below the recommended ratings. Some OEM's specify a range of oil grades varying on weather condition. If that is mentioned in the manual, then based on your location, you can choose the correct grade.

The W40 at high temperature will become very thin and might not provide adequate protection to your engine. If i was in your place, i would drain out the W40 right away and go with the correct grade oil at the earliest.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 4th December 2013 at 11:40.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 12:35   #1412
BHPian

Gave my 390 for 1st service this morning. Odo reading was at 1081 kms. The SE gave me an estimate of about Rs 2200/-. He said 1.5L of Motul oil is used & that I would be given 500 ml unused oil to take home for future use. Is the amount (Rs 2200/-) reasonable? Pl advise.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:35   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Got my registration number from the dealer today. Before I make the numberplate I wanted to verify the number. Can anybody help me with the online link to check the vehicle owner name with the reg. number? Its Indiranagar RTO(Bangalore). I couldnt find anything in the Karnataka RTO website.

Thanks.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 12:45   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
4 punctures is the last 2 weeks. Am I the only one facing this issue? I never ever go off roading. However, the Bangalore roads anyway look like dried river beds. Even in a jam I try to be as close to the divider as possible. Any idea do Michelin Pilots come for the duke or not?
I had what i thought was a puncture within a week,, replaced the valve seems ok now
Old 4th December 2013, 12:55   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
Gave my 390 for 1st service this morning. Odo reading was at 1081 kms. The SE gave me an estimate of about Rs 2200/-. He said 1.5L of Motul oil is used & that I would be given 500 ml unused oil to take home for future use. Is the amount (Rs 2200/-) reasonable? Pl advise.
About right. That is what happened to me. Stay with them if possible when the bike is being serviced.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:07   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
I paid about Rs. 1400 for the first service. The Motul 7100 4T 10W50 had an MRP of Rs. 825 for the 1 liter can and I only paid for 1.5 liters. The oil filter cost around Rs. 75 and the remaining were taxes. I wasn't charged for coolant top-up, chain lubing and other ancillary things. If he's charging you for 2 litres of oil then also this is a bit on the higher side, unless there are more things to be replaced other than the oil and the oil filter.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:12   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I wanted to verify the number. Can anybody help me with the online link to check the vehicle owner name with the reg. number? Its Indiranagar RTO(Bangalore). I couldnt find anything in the Karnataka RTO website.
The link for Bangalore is http://www.btis.in/rto but it is not displaying any owner information for the 3 vehicles i own.

If the chassis number of the vehicle matches with the vehicle number, then you can rest assured that it will be correct.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:17   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The link for Bangalore is http://www.btis.in/rto but it is not displaying any owner information for the 3 vehicles i own.

If the chassis number of the vehicle matches with the vehicle number, then you can rest assured that it will be correct.
Thanks abhinav.s. I tried that link but its showing nothing even for my friend's car. The thing is I have'nt received the smartcard till now. And the vehicle number is not mentioned in the tax Challan! Only chassis number is there! So in a way, I have no source to verify the number as of now!
Old 4th December 2013, 13:24   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Thanks abhinav.s. I tried that link but its showing nothing even for my friend's car. The thing is I have'nt received the smartcard till now. And the vehicle number is not mentioned in the tax Challan! Only chassis number is there! So in a way, I have no source to verify the number as of now!
The tax challan will not have the vehicle number and typically it would take around 30-45 days and sometimes 60 days to get the smart card. But the dealership from where you got the bike will have a book with the chassis number and the corresponding registration number. Chances of human error during number entry in the book is there but I have not so far bothered to verify and thank my stars there has been no goof up so far for nearly 7-8 bikes and 2 cars.

Best thing is to wait for your smart card before you go for HSRP plates if you are planning for that. For the moment, just get the existing plates stickered at a local shop for 100/-. Peace of mind at a fraction of the cost.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:39   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Chances of human error during number entry in the book is there
Thats the only thing I am worried about here!

Quote:
Best thing is to wait for your smart card before you go for HSRP plates if you are planning for that. For the moment, just get the existing plates stickered at a local shop for 100/-. Peace of mind at a fraction of the cost.
Not going for HSRP right now, I will get the stickering done anyways!

Got the Number 490X. Missed '390'X.

Thanks again!
Old 4th December 2013, 14:33   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post.

Is anybody considering adjustable levers? Personally I find the clutch lever a bit uncomfortable to operate. Especially with gloves. And the heavy clutch is not helping too (I find it heavier than my ex-TBTS). I find it hard to reach the indicator switch while operating the clutch. Now I am planning for an adjustable lever.

One doubt I am having is: after installing the adjustable lever if we are setting it to a shorter reach, will it affect the clutch action as the range of operation of the lever is reduced? Please throw some light onto this.

Cheers.
Old 4th December 2013, 14:49   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the back to back post.

Is anybody considering adjustable levers? Personally I find the clutch lever a bit uncomfortable to operate. Especially with gloves. And the heavy clutch is not helping too (I find it heavier than my ex-TBTS). I find it hard to reach the indicator switch while operating the clutch. Now I am planning for an adjustable lever.

One doubt I am having is: after installing the adjustable lever if we are setting it to a shorter reach, will it affect the clutch action as the range of operation of the lever is reduced? Please throw some light onto this.

Cheers.
The technical aspect is you need to pull the cable the right amount and there are no right, right amount. Half clutch, quarter clutch, full clutch all works. So if you are setting up a lever that will move the clutch lever closer yet lets you pull the cable for all three cases, there should not be any issue.

But i agree that the clutch lever is quite away from the handle bar. Designers are either basket ball players or not ready to look at people having small fingers. Ideal place to have the lever length is to let your hands fall free on sides and notice how much the fingers fold it. That is the natural position of fingers bending inwards and a slightly extending that position or just retaining the lever in that position is the best position imho.

Regarding rattles, its definitely near the radiator coolant box rubbing the tank but at a slightly inside position. Need to add some tube(rubber) around the coolant mouth and see if that helps.
Old 4th December 2013, 15:31   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The technical aspect is you need to pull the cable the right amount and there are no right, right amount. Half clutch, quarter clutch, full clutch all works. So if you are setting up a lever that will move the clutch lever closer yet lets you pull the cable for all three cases, there should not be any issue.

But i agree that the clutch lever is quite away from the handle bar. Designers are either basket ball players or not ready to look at people having small fingers. Ideal place to have the lever length is to let your hands fall free on sides and notice how much the fingers fold it. That is the natural position of fingers bending inwards and a slightly extending that position or just retaining the lever in that position is the best position imho.

Regarding rattles, its definitely near the radiator coolant box rubbing the tank but at a slightly inside position. Need to add some tube(rubber) around the coolant mouth and see if that helps.
I was looking for something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-Adjust...697eec&vxp=mtr

Enquired in a few shops here in B'lore, but no one seems to stock this.

Regarding the rattle, I just could'nt find time to check it.. Or, coming from a Royal Enfield, this rattle is not yet registered in my mind as a 'Problem' or an 'Irritant' . I will check in the reservoir area as you have suggested! But yesterday I did try holding the coolant reservoir top while hearing this rattle. But it did not stop. It should be from somewhere deep underneath.
Old 4th December 2013, 15:50   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Anyone found an answer for that rattling noise from the cluster or near the cluster while revving up thought it dies after it crosses 5-7k rpm.
I pinpointed mine to the rhs switch cluster..it a buzzy kind of sound
Old 4th December 2013, 16:32   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
I too dropped my 390 for service today and got the same quote. Reasonable or not I don't know, at least he is being consistent

Most Viewed