Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:04   #1381
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
There is a annoying high frequency rattle from the speedo cluster area post 3k RPMs. I will try pinpointing the exact location today. I remember someone posting a similar niggle some times back, but could'nt find the post now! Was this issue sorted?
No, and I am looking for your diagnosis very intently

Worse, I also have to deal with a noise of some plasticky grinding sound everytime I travel over some moderate roads. Not good roads, not bad roads, but the average ones. It's killing me and I still have a good 300 km to go before first service. Is anyone going to Pune or Nasik soon? Please take my bike and clock those 300 kms for me, this is driving me nuts.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:05   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My view is the 390 is not teeth shattering to ride at 120. With good gears you hardly feel you are riding at 120.

With a decent windshield like a Fazer or CBR or even the ZMR you can even avoid the wind rush to your chest/body.

The must is a good helmet( i mean a really good snuggly fit helmet), a good armour jacket or a jacket that fits over your body and doesnt become a flat surface to block wind.

I say this only after i got a good helmet. The wind noise in this new helmet is pretty much very low and this has a huge difference in the speed i am doing. 100 hits pretty easily than before and at 120 the body plays more role with respect to resistance than the face.

We have a habit of resting after an hour irrespective of where we ride. A ten minutes tea break may be. But thats how we seldom get too tired riding the bike too long.
Errrm...I was talking about the D200 being teeth shattering @ 120. I know the 390 cant be even though I haven't taken a test ride.
Yes, nothing beats a good helmet and gear. I got a SOL the moment I got the Duke and its been good to me. Wind noise is negligible and high speed buffeting is practically non-existent but not sure what it would do at speeds above the D200's territory.

I've seen the screen mods that some have done and somehow I lack faith in them. DIY in this respect is a strict NO for me. I would gladly get an aftermarket screen thats meant for the bike even though it may be expensive.
But a fairing does a lot more than just a screen, it increases high-speed stability too which i found the D200 lacked, especially on wide open highways where it gets juggled a lot.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:21   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I am seriously planning to check it out thoroughly! Its really annoying. And the irritating bit (as VW2010 mentioned) is that it is not there when the bike is stationary and revved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
I've seen the screen mods that some have done and somehow I lack faith in them. DIY in this respect is a strict NO for me. I would gladly get an aftermarket screen thats meant for the bike even though it may be expensive.
If you are going for a branded aftermarket screen, please avoid the one in the Power Parts catalog, which sold for around 2.6k. It is of no use even on a 200!
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:42   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Worse, I also have to deal with a noise of some plasticky grinding sound everytime I travel over some moderate roads. Not good roads, not bad roads, but the average ones. It's killing me and I still have a good 300 km to go before first service. Is anyone going to Pune or Nasik soon? Please take my bike and clock those 300 kms for me, this is driving me nuts.
Check your chain lube & freeplay. Might be too loose & require adjustment/ lubrication
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:49   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
I am seriously planning to check it out thoroughly! Its really annoying. And the irritating bit (as VW2010 mentioned) is that it is not there when the bike is stationary and revved.

If you are going for a branded aftermarket screen, please avoid the one in the Power Parts catalog, which sold for around 2.6k. It is of no use even on a 200!
I was thinking more on the lines of a Puig but thanks for the heads-up anyways.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:54   #1386
BHPian

Quote:

Try getting rid of that wheel fender along with the saree guard if you haven't already. It should help. If that doesn't help I am willing to put you out of the misery and exchange my D200 for yours .

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 2nd December 2013 at 16:55.
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:26   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Check your chain lube & freeplay. Might be too loose & require adjustment/ lubrication
That's done. Ad hoc visit to the service centre last week. Noise still persists. This sound is of plastic grinding against other plastic or metal. Somewhere, the wear HAS to show. Not going to leave the service centre on the next visit, until it is totally gone. Front disc is also whining despite some adjustment done to it on the last visit. Arrrrrrgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Try getting rid of that wheel fender along with the saree guard if you haven't already. It should help. If that doesn't help I am willing to put you out of the misery and exchange my D200 for yours.
Rear wheel hugger and saree guard were never on my bike from day 1. And you'll go back to your D200 a happier man.
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:53   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This sound is of plastic grinding against other plastic or metal. Somewhere, the wear HAS to show.
Just a brainstormer. Check if the front disc brake line (the part near the caliper) is touching somewhere like the rear portion of mudgard or something during the front suspension action. Also there is a plastic clamp which holds the ABS sensor line and the brake line together.. Check if the clamp is in place. Mine was not in place when I took the delivery.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:59   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp
Nitro I am thinking of getting either one of MRA RNB or MRA SPS or MRA VTNB windshields. These are specifically for naked bikes, imported from Germany and costing around 8-10K. I am getting one of the above this week from Mumbai.

Check out here for the different windshields available for naked bikes. http://www.bikehps.com/mra/nakedscreens.html
check out the SPS, VTNB and RNB that I mentioned

The DIY Fazer windshield is fabulous. Infact I went to many Yamaha Showrooms in Goa ( panaji, Margao and Mapusa (earlier today) to get the fazer windshield as it cost only 300 bucks. But I guess I do not want to compromise on my safety as I am not sure how the DIY fitment with cable ties will hold during high speed ride.

Last edited by ashkamath : 2nd December 2013 at 18:04. Reason: Adding info
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:05   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
The DIY Fazer windshield is fabulous. Infact I went to many Yamaha Showrooms in Goa ( panaji, Margao and Mapusa (earlier today) to get the fazer windshield as it cost only 300 bucks. But I guess I do not want to compromise on my safety as I am not sure how the DIY fitment with cable ties will hold during high speed ride.
I rode with the windshield for over 500 odd kms on road and off road with no cable ties, no metal stays, nothing. Just the 4 original screws and the number plate bracket over that. No vibration, no sound, nothing. All the way to the Duke 200's top end. Even so, I do not understand how a windshiled is going to affect your safety bro?

P.S. The trick is to make the holes big enough to accomodate the entire rubber bush for each screw. That way the fit is tight and the vibration (harmonic), even when there, does not make an iritating trrrrrrrr sound.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd December 2013 at 18:08.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:14   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I rode with the windshield for over 500 odd kms on road and off road with no cable ties, no metal stays, nothing. Just the 4 original screws and the number plate bracket over that. No vibration, no sound, nothing. All the way to the Duke 200's top end. Even so, I do not understand how a windshiled is going to affect your safety bro?
Hehehe that's good to hear. I believe this is the first statement from some one riding 500 Kms on / off road with no cable ties no metal stays nothing with just 4 screws and that too at 200's top speed. See this inspires confidence. I think I read earlier in this forum that the Fazer windshield is held in place by 2 screws and cable ties and not 4 screws so when I meant safety I implied that for any reason if the fastening gives away to the wind blast or bad road rattling / off roading whatever, then I am in the harm's way ( flying windshield's way) that is what I meant by safety. But with a properly designed windshield I am assured of proper design / fitment and hence peace of mind.

Doc Fazer's windshield is fastened to the bike using 6 screws and in our DIY, we are down to 2. Anyways I am keen to check it out. Let us see how it works out and btw could you please give me the dimensions of the FZ windshield Height and width at the max?

Last edited by ashkamath : 2nd December 2013 at 18:17. Reason: adding info
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:23   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But with a properly designed windshield I am assured of proper design / fitment and hence peace of mind.
One costs 216 (not 300), the other cost 8000 bucks. I was not in the mood to spend 8000 bucks on a piece of fiber. I actually bought the small windshield (that looks like a crown) of the FZ-S as well to try out (never did; its still lying with me in bubble wrap in case anyone wants it).

Quote:
Doc Fazer's windshield is fastened to the bike using 6 screws and in our DIY, we are down to 2. Anyways I am keen to check it out. Let us see how it works out and btw could you please give me the dimensions of the FZ windshield Height and width at the max?
The windshiled is very light. The top two (of the 6 original) holes remain open (for ventilation ). The bottom two also do not match. You have to line it up and make new holes.

The top edge of the windshield does flutter. It would have been more steady had the top two holes also been fixed. But that's about all. The windshield is not going to come off (in case of doubt, use blue loctite on the 4 screws). And its pretty strong, so its not going to snap clean off either. If it cracks on a ride, simply take it of and chuck it.

The only thing, as I've mentioned in the past, is that for a 6' guy like me, with the windshield in place, its impossible to do a full crouch over the tank. Because the top edge of the windshield will hit your helmet. You have to live with that. But other than that, if you put you hand in front of you and then move it up, you can clearly make out a zone of clear still air beow versus turbulent air above.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd December 2013 at 18:28.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:29   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
One costs 216 (not 300), the other cost 8000 bucks. I was not in the mood to spend 8000 bucks on a piece of fiber.

The windshiled is very light. The top two (of the 6 original) holes remain open (for ventilation ). The bottom two also do not match. You have to line it up and make new holes.

The top edge of the windshield does flutter. It would have been more steady had the top two holes also been fixed. But that's about all. The windshield is not going to come off (in case of doubt, use blue loctite on the 4 screws). And its pretty strong, so its not going to snap clean off either. If it cracks on a ride, simply take it of and chuck it.
Doc. you are still the same . WIll install the FZ windshield and we will have a blast with the money saved when I ride down to Pune next time. Let me see if I can improve on the DIY. Just curious. what other bike windshield option ( Bull / avenger etc) do I have which could fit the bill other than FZ windshield
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:31   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious. what other bike windshield option ( Bull / avenger etc) do I have which could fit the bill other than FZ windshield
Ive seen Dukes with CBR, R15 and SZ-R(a bit smaller one) ones.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:41   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc. you are still the same . WIll install the FZ windshield and we will have a blast with the money saved when I ride down to Pune next time. Let me see if I can improve on the DIY. Just curious. what other bike windshield option ( Bull / avenger etc) do I have which could fit the bill other than FZ windshield
There are many (most of them the sub 150 cc commuters). I actually went on to MG Road a couple of times for a walk down the length of the road, and scoped out the various bikes parked there. Checked the mountings closely (taking care not to touch the bikes even once). Then I went for confirmation to the Rider Yamaha showroom and got details of availability and price. Finally got the screens from the company showroom at Wakdewadi.

Before that I had asked the Bombay guy about the price of the branded one. That put paid to that idea post haste .....

Bullet one is like the wind sail of a yacht. Good if you want to conserve fuel and want to go windsailing. The Avenger one is a better shaped and slightly smaller version of the same. The R15 bottom part is too elongated and pointy. The CBR ones shape I did not like. I actually originally was looking for that bike from LML with the 3 valves that had a clear windshield. Adreno? I had once thought of putting that on Doppie as well (some Bulleteers have).

Trust me. The Fazer one looks best. I recall no one else had fitted this when I did on a Sunday. I saw another guy from another forum (also a Puneite)doing the same thing at least a month later with photos etc. Not bragging or laying copyright claims to the idea. Just feel protective towards it is all.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd December 2013 at 18:48.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed