Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 11:58   #631
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
And to add to this point, the knuckle guard also prevented the front brake lever from getting squeezed (in the middle of that overtake) due to the smack from that ORVM!
No that did not happen. The ones I have are hinged flaps only. They do not extend and wrap around to join at the bar ends like the ones on the KTM, to form a semi-rigid cage. There are pluses and minuses to both types really.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:40   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Both Psycho and Sri Ram,

Consider doing away with the front number plate once you are through with the RTO formalities.

I think you can live with a number sticker on the front mudguard, as has been done by one of the TBHPians in Bangalore on his FZ

Ram
Sure Ram Sir! I am still running on Temp Number waiting for a particular number I had asked for.

As suggested, I plan to remove the front number plate and also remove the tire hugger / saree guard as suggested by doc. (I am also planning to have a sticker which Doc had recommended after removing the tire hugger ('If you can read this, you have mud on your face' )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
While I agree knuckle guards are not of the best finish and the orange ones of the KTM Power Parts for the 200 are lightyears ahead, knuckle guards do work and when they do, you would be glad you had them than not.

I have some Chinese after market black hand covers/flaps on the Bullet motocross (cross strut) handle. You can see them in my DP. Cost me some 400 odd bucks so you can imagine the quality etc. A week or so ago in heavy rains on the road behind my house I was overtaking an SUV that was hogging the entire carriage width of the road. When an oncoming sedan from the opposite side came too close and his right ORVM smashed into my right knuckle guard.

The guard took the impact, did not break (just bent downwards with the brake lever (which also did not break), and had barely two dents in the hard plastic. Most important - my fingers did not break (not even bruised). It was a hard solid whack and I was really glad that I had the knuckle guards that day.
I now need to go back and get the knuckle guard - Functionality > Form (personal opinion). I also need to reinvest in gear (previously owned ones are no longer fit to use)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 19th September 2013 at 12:43.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:53   #633
BHPian

Just got a call from KTM Adyar. The first deliveries in Chennai are tomorrow evening during a function with the MD.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:19   #634
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow, there will be 5 delivery in chennai. After which the wait extends to October 2nd week.

Chennai showrooms really have no clue and no plan to manage their orders.

I think i may cancel, wait for all niggles and initial issues and reviews to fix in the bike and then rebook when delivery is manageable.

Given up on chennai dealers to meet promises.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:39   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think i may cancel, wait for all niggles and initial issues and reviews to fix in the bike and then rebook when delivery is manageable.
That is a wise idea, if you can manage containing your excitement.

Meanwhile in Bangalore.

Source: Iamabiker FB community
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-15087_683917731636713_1983228714_n.jpg

Last edited by man_of_steel : 19th September 2013 at 19:42.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 20:55   #636
Senior - BHPian

Now you are making my case stronger for i have waited 90 days now. The need to own in the first lot has vaporised. The ego is killed. Now comes practicality. Meaning waiting for the right reason.

I think i am going to cancel and wait. 5 bikes to a city that had over 120 bookings and over 30 of them in the first week of booking cycle.

Ridiculous and to know that pune and Bangalore are getting their second and third lot in bigger numbers(yes 10 is bigger than 5 ) makes you feel like the dealers are screwing it up for the buyers.

Now you post something like this and make me realise the truth
Old 19th September 2013, 22:29   #637
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think i am going to cancel and wait. 5 bikes to a city that had over 120 bookings and over 30 of them in the first week of booking cycle.
I would really suggest that wait for a few more weeks.
Meanwhile, enjoy this

P.S: Booked 20 mins after the price was announced. Still waiting!
Mik is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 10:36   #638
BHPian

I love the way the power drift team does their reviews. Fantastic camera work. The bike lifting off during take off & the part where the bike pauses and ten hut talks about the riding stance is amazing!!! Makes me feel the 90 day wait till now has been worth it.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:01   #639
Senior - BHPian

Only 5 bikes have been to KTM Adyar and will be delivered today evening and rest 3 to Bajaj Staffs itself.
Next lot will be coming on or before Oct 6 and expecting 30 bikes or more.
Hopefully my bike will be getting delivered by Oct 6.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:34   #640
Senior - BHPian

3 for Bajaj staff. Why can't their staff wait. I already conveyed my disappointment compared to other cities and have told them to cancel.

I will book once delivery gets regular
Old 21st September 2013, 01:44   #641
BHPian

Guys what is this new news about recalls for heating & braking issues. Sriram I see your name in the article. Can you please shed some light as to what is happening. The other folks who recently got their bikes. Can you please tell us if you have been informed as well? Doc any news in this one?
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/ktm-car...ecall-duke-390
Old 21st September 2013, 15:07   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Guys what is this new news about recalls for heating & braking issues. Sriram I see your name in the article. Can you please shed some light as to what is happening. The other folks who recently got their bikes. Can you please tell us if you have been informed as well? Doc any news in this one?
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/ktm-car...ecall-duke-390

Oh man, now its going to have even more waiting. What's Bajaj doing? If the issue exists in pre-production bikes, they should have rectified it before commencing production. Why a recall just after starting first deliveries? Haven't they notified of the issues while testing?
Old 21st September 2013, 16:03   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Why a recall just after starting first deliveries? Haven't they notified of the issues while testing?
Quite common in any product development. A small amount of issues will slip through to the final product. Thats why terms like "recalls", "bug-fixes" and all exists. Initial batches of CBR250R was having more issues than this. But what I appreciate here is they did a quick recall to rectify these issues before any of the customers approaches them citing this problem. Now thats what I call a business with customers in mind.
Old 21st September 2013, 16:17   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Quite common in any product development. A small amount of issues will slip through to the final product. Thats why terms like "recalls", "bug-fixes" and all exists. Initial batches of CBR250R was having more issues than this. But what I appreciate here is they did a quick recall to rectify these issues before any of the customers approaches them citing this problem. Now thats what I call a business with customers in mind.
Yes, I agree to you fully but braking and engine heating issues are not small to go unnoticed during the testing stage itself. If such issues managed to creep into the final product, then I am sure that there is so much in store, especially when Bajaj's quality control is not up to the mark when compared to the Japanese giants. And when it comes to the CBR250, Honda is offering extended warranty for five years for a nominal amount. Hero Motocorp offers 5 year standard warranty on all its products. But on the other hand Bajaj is not ready to go past 2 years even as an option. This shows quality control and their faith in the product.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 21st September 2013 at 16:24.
Old 21st September 2013, 18:11   #645
Senior - BHPian

6 bikes were delivered from the Mekhri circle KTM yesterday and mine was one of them. 2 of the owners did not turn up and would take the delivery today as the shop manager quoted. 51 kms completed as I write this and my impression from these are as below:
First impression: A thing of a beast, everybody looks up at you when you arrive and it does in style.
You flip the throttle and it flies, you wring it and it is hard to tame the beast. Awesome pick up and invariable you will be grinning in your helmet without your knowledge. Overtaking is a breeze in the city traffic as you can pounce on the gaps and cut your way out.
Grip of the Metzellers are a world apart from the others. The bite is always reassuring and you can flip the bike in a curve and still push on the accelarator, such is the confidence level it inspires.
Brakes are good. Tried to cut off the ABS, but did not find any difference in the city
Now comes the hard part. The clutch is a bit heavy and you need to really work it. It becomes a pain in the stop go traffic situations. The gearing is perfect but the engine knocks if you are not in perfect gear. You need to potter in 1st or 2nd in the traffic of Bangalore. The next is the most discussed topic, heating. Definitely you will feel the heat around your calves when you stop, but on the move it just disappears. The temperature bars easily shoots upto 10 bars on the MID and stays there. Only when you stop for more than 2 minutes, the fan comes on and goes off.
The headlights are brilliant for the city and work well. The police asked me switch off as I waited at the signal.
Plastics look a bit cheap on the knuckle guards and it shows up prominently.
Will post more as I get used to my baby in the coming days.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed