Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2013, 17:14   #526
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
But with Dunlops as OE - which did supply adequate grip and contributed a lot to the stopping power. As they were like butter, the rear needed replacement every 15 K (were lucky if it lasted that much)
Ram Sir,
Did lay my hands on Dunlop Spectramind tires if that is what you were to referring to. From my experience with it, the tires did offer better grip and stability even in wet. The life was very short however and the braking distance would diminish after a few thousand kilometers.
The MRF Nylogrips were a good replacement and was an even all-rounder. Unfortunately they stopped production of it, but you still can lay your hands on old NOS. They however offer degraded performance considering they would have been sitting in stock for ages.

Michelin Sirac seems to be a good one which am currently use. However for smooth tarmac they do not offer a cushion ride due to the nature of their grooves. Will change it to MRF Zapper Q which seems to be a hot cake these days. Heard they are good in wet conditions as well unlike the MRF Nylogrips.
Old 27th August 2013, 17:23   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
The life was very short however and the braking distance would diminish after a few thousand kilometers.
Mahesh,

Typo - I think you intended to say increase

(hey I am saying this as I think I can take this liberty with you)

I don't remember the exact name of the Dunlops - I think you've got the name correct. Last time I bought a tyre for RD 350 it was Nylogrip (3 years ago)

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 28th August 2013, 09:37   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Seen on their own, before the Metz's got offered on the 390 stock, the Revz were the best tyres I have ridden on to date. I have heard good things about the sticky OE R15 tyres too (also MRF?), but never ridden an R15 to be able to really compare.
Having ridden the R15 quite extensively and currently owning a Duke shod with RevZ's at 12,000 KM, my personal opinion is that RevZ's are a superior tyre maybe not by much but they are. A lot of the control experienced on the R15 is down to the brilliant design of the bike itself. It definitely feels more planted, the Duke is no slouch either. Can't go wrong with either tyre. The wet is where neither perform exceptionally well, definitely can live with it though.
ashwin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 14:39   #529
Senior - BHPian

Another review:

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/ktm-d...t-ride-review/

Did not find any new info here; language is quite poor.
Old 28th August 2013, 23:42   #530
BHPian

Another way of passing some time till the bike arrives - get acquainted with the bike in theory. Had some time in afternoon. Just went through 183 pages of user manual pdf. some points were interesting to read. One bit is about recharging the battery if it drains out due to less use. Looks like KTM offers(to be bought separately) a small charger that you can connect to AC outlet and the other end has the standard red and black prongs that you connect to battery and charge it. No need ot take it to local battery store. one has to remove the entire battery for this. Wonder if they could have provided a simple plugin socket somewhere under the seat that could be used for charging dead battery from AC outlet rather than removing battery physically.

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 28th August 2013 at 23:43.
the VTEC guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 01:40   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Another way of passing some time till the bike arrives - get acquainted with the bike in theory. Had some time in afternoon. Just went through 183 pages of user manual pdf. some points were interesting to read. One bit is about recharging the battery if it drains out due to less use. Looks like KTM offers(to be bought separately) a small charger that you can connect to AC outlet and the other end has the standard red and black prongs that you connect to battery and charge it. No need ot take it to local battery store. one has to remove the entire battery for this. Wonder if they could have provided a simple plugin socket somewhere under the seat that could be used for charging dead battery from AC outlet rather than removing battery physically.

Can you share the link for the user manual here?
Old 29th August 2013, 02:46   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post

Can you share the link for the user manual here?
http://www.ktm.com/my/dealer-service...atalogues.html

Select the Indian model from the list of products (2013, naked, 390 IN).

May be worth seeing if there is any difference between the IN and Eu manuals.

Btw, regarding the battery charger, deltrans battery tender comes with a quick disconnect cable which can be kept under the seat.

Last edited by GreaseMonk : 29th August 2013 at 02:48.
GreaseMonk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 08:07   #533
Senior - BHPian

Continuing the spirit of waiting - what accessories are you thinking of?

Me:
- The bigger windshield
- Alarm system? (Is this really worth it? Are there aftermarket plug & play versions?)
- Frame & hub sliders
Old 29th August 2013, 08:38   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Me:
- The bigger windshield
I took delivery of the MRA RNB windscreen here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-r...rt-motorcycles. This is much bigger than the KTM accessory and hopefully will be a big help on the highway.
- Alarm system? (Is this really worth it? Are there aftermarket plug & play versions?)
Having used a Puig Alarm system on my Ninja, I don't recommend it. Breaks too easily and anyone who 'knows' about it can disarm it in a few seconds. IIFK, n_aditya had a different alarm system on his Ninja that was way better; if he can throw light on it.
- Frame & hub sliders
Not sure if Frame sliders will make a big difference on the Duke (engine crash-guard already present) but hub sliders are available aplenty and would be a good buy.
Replied in bold above.
Apart from this, I was planning on getting these:
Akra exhaust
Tank protectors
Fuel lid stickers
Alternate headlight assembly offered by KTM (undecided on this)
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 09:25   #535
Senior - BHPian

Oh I forgot ... a good hard case that does not lose the pillion or kill the looks. Ok with a dual side for retaining symmetry in the looks
Old 29th August 2013, 09:44   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I would love to get my hands on an Akrapovic. Other than that i would get tankpad and possibly a wind screen.

If i am able to find a new Duke 200 owner wanting orange wheels I would exchange mine for the black one as well.
Old 29th August 2013, 11:27   #537
BHPian

Word in the xbhp forums is that BTM KTM Bangalore would be delivering a couple of bikes in very very near future. They have received the stock from KTM, just a couple of last minute paperwork remains. Not sure of the status of deliveries with other showrooms though.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:20   #538
Senior - BHPian

The main reason for delay I feel is , every single bike built is exported to get the highly priced dollar or pounds . Companies are making hay while sunshines . We have to suffer the delay due to their greediness .

Last edited by black12rr : 29th August 2013 at 12:21.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:27   #539
Senior - BHPian

Chennai will delivery in last week of september. There is a chance they could get 1-3 bikes in first week of September, but delivery will start only around last week of september.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:19   #540
BHPian

I had called KTM Indranagar yesterday they have no clue as to when they will be receiving the bikes. My booking number is 42 looks like it would be beyond the 90 day period before I can actually lay my hands on the bike.

Regards
Abhishek

Most Viewed