Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 08:07   #466
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I understand that the present situation is much worse that students waiting for their final exam results to be out. Bajaj is testing it's customers patience for sure.
But I want to know when exactly do you think KTM/Bajaj could increase the price and by how much? I'm out of India at the moment and want to have the 390 in my parking lot once am back in Jan. Wanted to check how deep the hole would make to my pocket after the hike. If it's gonna be too deep, I want to make the booking before they raise the price.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:07   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
If it's gonna be too deep, I want to make the booking before they raise the price.
Not going to help since price at the time of delivery will be applicable

So even if you book now, you will end up paying the revised prices (if any) at the time of delivery.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 10:43   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
The proverbial 'First impression is the Best impression' is just a cliche. When it comes to reality, we all appreciate the finer qualities in others when we get to know a little deeper. My suggestion is not to write off this great machine. I had similar impression when I saw the bike first. I have been an Enfield rider throughout my life. I thought the bike was too small. I am 5.8 tall/short. Then I came across Doc (Ebonho) in this forum. He is 6 plus feet tall and rides a Duke and an Enfield. Respecting his wisdom I went ahead and took the test ride. I am a happy convert now. I suggest you go and take a longer test ride. The bike will illuminate your day. Just suggestion from a fellow biker.
Bro my first bike is an Enfield TBTS and i got it last year only. Though its good for cruising i am feeling the lack of power on highways, especially with pillion but cant replace it atleast for one more year. Thanks for your suggestion, definitely will take TR as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
That is only because you are not used to the riding position. I am 5'10, and I don't have any issues with the tank or my legs being uncomfortable at all. The reason why it feels so different is because of where the foot pegs are positioned, but once you get used to the position, it actually becomes very comfortable.

Atleast that's the way it was for me, and I have been on a 120 kilometre ride non-stop, and the only thing that was aching was my rear end .
That is more owing to the fact that I'm not used to long bike rides than anything else.
Footpeg positioning is not as much as issue as the knees going beyond tank grooves and being in an awkward position. I am sure the seat is not to blame, i last a maximum of 100-150km on non-stop rides Since i have the time to wait, speculating about the Adventure variant for now
Old 19th August 2013, 10:56   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
Footpeg positioning is not as much as issue as the knees going beyond tank grooves and being in an awkward position. I am sure the seat is not to blame, i last a maximum of 100-150km on non-stop rides Since i have the time to wait, speculating about the Adventure variant for now
How tall are you bro? I am 6' in my socks, and once I got used to the backward placed pegs, I never had an issue of the front of my knees touching the knee recesses (even with the bulky knee-armored riding pants).

On the 200 and more so the 390, you will have to stop for fuel before you need to stop for your body. Yes, tall guys will need to stretch their upper thighs and ankles-calves once you cross 400+ kms into your ride.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th August 2013 at 10:57.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:02   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes, tall guys will need to stretch their upper thighs and ankles-calves once you cross 400+ kms into your ride.
Why cannot people stop or take a break every 100 kms or so ? .Unless you are doing IRON butts .
I would stop every 50 -70 kms and enjoy the ride ,than rip rip all the way.
black12rr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:02   #471
BHPian

Quote:
How tall are you bro? I am 6' in my socks, and once I got used to the backward placed pegs, I never had an issue of the front of my knees touching the knee recesses (even with the bulky knee-armored riding pants).
I am 6'2 atleast. Not helped by the fact that i am bulky also. My knees shoot up beyond the fuel tanks of most bikes.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:06   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Why cannot people stop or take a break every 100 kms or so ? .Unless you are doing IRON butts .
Nothing stops riders from stopping whenever they want to. But for those who do not like stopping too often and need (or want or like) to cover large distances quickly, they need a bike and ergonomics that can support uninterrupted saddle time. As a comparison, I am more comfortable riding faster and longer on the KTMs than on the Bullets, inspite of the supposedly less radical riding position and posture for the Bullet. You do not need to be attempting an Iron Butt type ride to enjoy riding long distances fast. Purely personally, I am not a stop and smell the roses, take 500 photographs along the way type of rider. For me the ride is what gives me the kicks, and stopping too often irritates me to the extent I get itchy to move on. Which is why I rarely if ever ride in a group.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th August 2013 at 11:12.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:35   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am more comfortable riding faster and longer on the KTMs than on the Bullets, inspite of the supposedly less radical riding position and posture for the Bullet
It will only get better with the 390. 390 to me personally felt at home. To me the engine RPM on longer rides makes a huge difference on when i take a break.

Given that the 390 can do 100-120 between 5000-7000 RPM i feel this is pretty close to what the comfort zone on a 500 is for me.

I am pretty sure i will change the riding position to fit my need even in the 390.

As you clearly mentioned even in your 200 review, the 390 will feel very close to home for the bulleteers while they can now cover more distance with same comfort and safety in the same time.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:46   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
As you clearly mentioned even in your 200 review, the 390 will feel very close to home for the bulleteers while they can now cover more distance with same comfort and safety in the same time.
You will cover the same distance much faster, with much less fatigue (of bike and body), and arrive at your destination much fresher. The seat is more comfortable and gives less butt burn, which comes in much later than on the Bullet, and of a much more manageable intensity. The only thing the Bullet betters the KTM in with regard to long distance fast touring is the better headlight. Otherwise engine, brakes, tyres, heating, clutch, seat, ergos, chassis, handling, and fuel consumption, its simply different generations of motorcycling.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:52   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing the Bullet betters the KTM in with regard to long distance fast touring is the better headlight
Even that can be fixed in the KTM and will be fixed in mine as soon as i get hold if it

Having said that, the KTM will not replace my 500. My 500 will continue to own its space at home while KTM will try to find some in the shed
Old 19th August 2013, 14:45   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Purely personally, I am not a stop and smell the roses, take 500 photographs along the way type of rider. For me the ride is what gives me the kicks, and stopping too often irritates me to the extent I get itchy to move on. Which is why I rarely if ever ride in a group.
Echo that, Doc.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 14:49   #477
Senior - BHPian

KTM Duke 390 Delivery and Price Updates

Key points:

* Duke 390 deliveries to begin in the last week of September 2013. (in-line with the 90 day waiting period as the bike was launched in June-end)

* Price bump up not anytime soon, according to Mr Amit Nandi, CEO of KTM India.

Link to news section.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 19th August 2013 at 14:51. Reason: News Link Added
Old 19th August 2013, 14:50   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post

That totally depends on the kind of ride one is doing. If one doing a one day ride to just relax have some coffee and get back home then its absolutely fine to take breaks every 50-60 Kms.

But if one is trying to get some where and a lot of it involves riding on boring 4 Lane highways, for example Bangalore to Kodaikanal is about 500 odd kms, then taking breaks every 50-60 kms will mean taking almost 15-16 hrs to cover distance that can ideally be done in something like 7-9 hours. Or even something longer like Bangalore - Mumbai it would really kill average speeds if one takes breaks so often.

Been riding a friends D200 past couple of weeks to get a feel of it before I take the 390 plunge. And the firm seats of the D200 means I can go on riding and riding, way more than my 220. The first break I actually took was after about 250kms because I needed fuel. I think 390 will make for an awesome mile muncher, if only it had a slightly larger tank.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 16:29   #479
BHPian

* Duke 390 deliveries to begin in the last week of September 2013. (in-line with the 90 day waiting period as the bike was launched in June-end)

* Price bump up not anytime soon, according to Mr Amit Nandi, CEO of KTM India.

Good news. Even though expectations were that the bike would be delivered ahead of the three month deadline. The Hindu article seems to suggest that KTM schedules were not affected by the strike. Wonder then if overseas delivery commitments was the reason for the bike being delayed till the last?
Old 20th August 2013, 11:32   #480
Senior - BHPian

Checked with Chennai.

Estimated delivery first or second week of September. The shipments may reach by this weekend and they need a weeks time or so to prepare for delivery.

Expect 5-6 bikes in the first lot and a little more in the second lot.

Total bookings around 50-55 is what the guy told and already few cancellations.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks