Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 09:36   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Are you folks inspecting the motorcycle before taking delivery? Is there a motorcycle Pre Delivery Inspection required for the KTM Duke 390 before proceeding for registration? Are dealers allowing this?
Old 5th September 2013, 09:53   #572
BHPian

Re: Coming Soon :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
This is 'Popular KTM' in Mekhri Circle. The guys there are awesome. I was the first one to take delivery. Apparently this is the first delivery in S. India (as some one else also pointed out). There is a function today at the showroom for 4 deliveries of 390 with head of KTM India also dropping in. (I'll be missing the event though..)
Congrats !! Pics and ride impressions please ?
Old 5th September 2013, 10:05   #573
BHPian

Re: Coming Soon :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Congrats !! Pics and ride impressions please ?
Unfortunately, I spent very little time with the bike since I had to travel. My buying experience and my first impressions are in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...uke-390-a.html
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 17:25   #574
Senior - BHPian

The buying experience in BTM KTM is making me seriously consider about committing 2+ lacs to Bajaj.

Mostly, the issues are trivial but but the totality of the experience displays a callous attitude that is getting my goat.

First, I wanted to take delivery on Sep 5 (My birthday) and mentioned this when I booked. Was given a soft promise saying "No worries!". Was also told that there is no priority/ order for first day bookings. All of them would be treated the same. Obviously, we all know that deliveries did not commence until Sep. But since they did commence on 1/2 Sep, I called international from Dubai to see if KTM would still get me a bike on the 5th (as there were no priorities on the first day. So, I may as well be the guy getting it on 5th because it is my birthday).

All the manager wanted to tell me was "You signed a contract. It says 90 day delivery" (So, buzz off was the implication). This went on until I told him that I was requesting a favour. Also not to make me regret signing that contract.

Yesterday, after I returned, I gave Mohammed, the manager, a call asking when I can expect the bike. He again expressed his inability to predict but offered a test ride (on his own). So, I cleared my calendar today afternoon & visited BTM KTM with son in tow & helmet in hand.

The 'test ride' turns out to be a ride on the 50m stretch of the service road. Cant even turn the bike around or get past the 1st gear. When I told him that he wasted my time by inviting me for this test ride he had the gall to say "But this is a test ride no?" No apologies, no understanding of what the expectation on a test ride of a 390-like bike should be or the disappointment that he has caused to my son & me.

If Bajaj seriously expect me to commit 2L on a 50m 'test ride', they have another think coming.

What do you folks think - am I over reacting? Or am I justified?
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 17:53   #575
Senior - BHPian

I spoken to KTM Chennai store Manager.
First lot of bikes are expected between 10 & 15 Sep.
hoping that some 40 bikes will be coming on the first lot.
We might be getting it delivered before 20 Sep.
waiting is really painful.
Old 7th September 2013, 18:17   #576
Senior - BHPian

@Sridhu,

I understand your frustration but the fact is the bikes are delivered by booking number. If i am the first booking and the centre is going to delivery your promise, i would be equally super pissed like you are. In fact more. Secondly there was already a clear media message that local delivery would start as late as second or third week of september.

And these dealers are selling bikes. Thats their job. They would have kept the promise had the bikes got delivered to the dealers.

I would say, dont fret about these delays for you like the bike and not the dealer.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 19:54   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Sridhu,

I understand your frustration but the fact is the bikes are delivered by booking number. If i am the first booking and the centre is going to delivery your promise, i would be equally super pissed like you are. In fact more. Secondly there was already a clear media message that local delivery would start as late as second or third week of september.

And these dealers are selling bikes. Thats their job. They would have kept the promise had the bikes got delivered to the dealers.

I would say, dont fret about these delays for you like the bike and not the dealer.
Vw2010 I am not actually upset about the non delivery on Sep 5th. What I am upset about is throwing the contract. The 'priority does not matter for first day bookings' was told to me multiple times by the dealer. I assumed that booking order matters. May be things did not pan out the way Bajaj thought. Maybe the strike screwed up the plans. Would have appreciated an explanation instead of "you signed a contract" defense.

The test drive really set me off!
Old 7th September 2013, 20:04   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Vw2010 I am not actually upset about the non delivery on Sep 5th. What I am upset about is throwing the contract. The 'priority does not matter for first day bookings' was told to me multiple times by the dealer. I assumed that booking order matters. May be things did not pan out the way Bajaj thought. Maybe the strike screwed up the plans. Would have appreciated an explanation instead of "you signed a contract" defense.

They don't care after they got your booking amount . The strike has nothing to do with delivery . All are exported to get more pounds and dollars .
You need to head to KTM indranagar or Marathalli for a long ride .Call them before you go because they keep rotating the bike between the two stores . The BTM showroom/service center does not look like serious KTM store .

Last edited by black12rr : 7th September 2013 at 20:06.
Old 7th September 2013, 20:12   #579
BHPian

Quote:

I would be super pissed with the 50m test ride in a service road in 1st gear.

However, India has set an unhealthy trend - No test ride was offered for R15, CBR when they were launched. There is a thread which says one needs to pay 500 Rs for a Hyosung test ride etc. These guys will learn in tough times. (Just like arrogant Honda for cars)

That said, it sometimes works on personal rapport built with the dealership. I get a test ride without pillion from the dealerships once they know that I am genuine. I had my long test rides for Ninja, Hyosung, Duke etc without any problem. Just that it takes effort to communicate that we are genuinely interested in buying and are potential customers.

I hope (probably in 20 years) things will change for the better. It starts with ONE dealership starting a good practice and becoming super popular. Then it would all trickle down to every dealership. As long as good behavior is not penalized, there is hope that things will improve.

AFAIK, only 5-6 bikes have been delivered in all of Bangalore. I was told that the next lot will arrive next week, and the pending deliveries will be sorted out beginning last week of September.

Also, the head of KTM India assured that price will not be hiked in near future (unlike EcoSport). So, just keep your cool, and you will enjoy the 390 when it comes!
Old 8th September 2013, 08:31   #580
Senior - BHPian

@sriramv.iyer: I certainly hope they know I am genuine. I have paid 30 bloody thousand!

Having cooled down, have decided to still go ahead with the bike.

Can somebody advise if the priority # is at KTM/ Bajaj level or at the dealer level? If it is at KTM level, I think I will buy the bike from Indiranagar or Langford.

That would be the right response to the BTM KTM treatment.

Also: Sandeepmohan said "Are you folks inspecting the motorcycle before taking delivery? Is there a motorcycle Pre Delivery Inspection required for the KTM Duke 390 before proceeding for registration? Are dealers allowing this?"

Any answers to this excellent question? Even if it is not Duke specific, a generic bike checklist would do.

Last edited by sridhu : 8th September 2013 at 08:34. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 8th September 2013, 08:33   #581
Senior - BHPian

Mods: Please delete this post.

Last edited by sridhu : 8th September 2013 at 08:35. Reason: Double post
Old 8th September 2013, 21:00   #582
BHPian

Quote:

Also: Sandeepmohan said "Are you folks inspecting the motorcycle before taking delivery? Is there a motorcycle Pre Delivery Inspection required for the KTM Duke 390 before proceeding for registration? Are dealers allowing this?"

Any answers to this excellent question? Even if it is not Duke specific, a generic bike checklist would do.
When I took delivery of my Zma, I was armed with the T-Bhp's PDI checklist in hand.
Works pretty well for bikes if you leave out the cage-specific stuff.

Here it is:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...k-list-28.html

The first link has an option to have the checklist in a PDF format.

Cheers !
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 06:51   #583
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Duke 390, KA xx xx 2000, near Brigade Road Bangalore yesterday around 4:30 pm.

TeamBHPian? Sriram?
Old 9th September 2013, 10:52   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Saw a Duke 390, KA xx xx 2000, near Brigade Road Bangalore yesterday around 4:30 pm.

TeamBHPian? Sriram?
Not me, sridhu! I came back to Bangalore late night yesterday!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 14:12   #585
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the customer frustration is slowly spreading out as news

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/kt...kes-66442.html

Bajaj better start delivering considering they manufacture quite a lot each day and they cant simply ignore these messages.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks