Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 18:58   #781
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
BTW: there is no mud flap on the front wheel. The dealer claimed none of the bikes from Bangalore have it.
Bikes coming out now have the mud flap as standard equipment. This was mentioned by Mekhri circle KTM guys. Looks like if older bike owners demand, they would fit it for free.
Old 7th October 2013, 19:03   #782
BHPian

From MOTOROIDS:

"On-Spot Delivery of new KTM 390 Duke during this Festive Season"

Sure might piss guys who are still in waiting!!
Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 21:42   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
From MOTOROIDS:

"On-Spot Delivery of new KTM 390 Duke during this Festive Season"

Sure might piss guys who are still in waiting!!
I am waiting from 100 days and dealer is giving me plain old BS... This rubs salt on the wound I have been nursing :(
Why Bajaj Why??
Old 7th October 2013, 21:48   #784
Senior - BHPian

Rubber mud flap
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1030954_r.jpg

Duke 'Em....Nuke 'Em
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1030947_r.jpg

Two petrolhead delights
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1030951_r.jpg
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 22:05   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I personally think the "flap" looks extremely ugly, and is a Bajaj afterthought on a KTM product/design.
Functionality over form doc.

Congratulations Sandeep and Sridhu! Nice pics there!
Guys do any of you have plans of getting a bigger fuel tank? The white tank 'cover' over the actual tank is such a waste of space IMO.
Old 7th October 2013, 23:08   #786
Senior - BHPian

Form is better because it's definitely not functional. I am going to remove all these non sense tomorrow.

I feel without the hugger and mud flap my engine would fairly be better in making itself dirty.
Attached Images

VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 04:00   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't speak about the Duke but I can mention that all motorcycles/scooters with computer controlled electronic fuel injection have a wiring connector somewhere that is not plugged into anything.

This connector serves as a computer link for the service department to plug their analyzer into so they can locate faults or make adjustments to the computer settings.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 10:55   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Form is better because it's definitely not functional. I am going to remove all these non sense tomorrow.
Sensible (I still have my saree guard in that plastic cling wrap stored away). Also removed that hugger which actually spatters more mud on the bike's undersides and pillions legs and feet than without. Also with a lot of rough riding, on some bikes the mounting bolts on the very expensive aluminium swingarm have ripped off/cracked. Not to mention that over rough roads, regardless of rear shock setting, the hugger hits the reflector just below the number plate (though to be fair, that does not happen - or not quite as much - with the much better/stiffer rear suspension of the 390).

And btw, that (photos) is a VERY clean Duke or VERY light rains.

You should see a Duke after a serious ride in serious rains and muck. The mud covers the TOP of the pillion seat as well as splatters on the back of your (rider) jacket. Luckily the cramped engine bay is pretty well protected (than God for that with all the dozens of elctronic gadgets and sensors and all) and does not get as dirty.

Have fun cleaning!

Last edited by ebonho : 8th October 2013 at 11:03.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 12:47   #789
Senior - BHPian

@Dr,

Is there a way to adjust the position of the brake lever. Or the foot pegs. Any mods that you have seen.

The only problem i have is with the position of the lever which is good only when i ride bare footed. With boots on, it puts a lot of strain as it is positioned very high. I may create something on my own to help braking and changing gears much easier. But that will take some time

Duke is a dust and dirt magnet
Old 8th October 2013, 13:42   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Two petrolhead delights
Attachment 1149246
Is that a TJET? When my 390 is delivered (which I am counting days for) I will have the exact same combo

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th October 2013 at 13:49. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 8th October 2013, 14:02   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Dr,

Is there a way to adjust the position of the brake lever. Or the foot pegs. Any mods that you have seen.

The only problem i have is with the position of the lever which is good only when i ride bare footed. With boots on, it puts a lot of strain as it is positioned very high. I may create something on my own to help braking and changing gears much easier. But that will take some time

Early problem most Bulleteers have. With the need to first (1) find the tiny (by Bullet sword-sized brake lever standards) brake lever; and (2) lift and twist and invert the foot to actually get on top of the lever and actuate it.

All you need to do is (1) adjust tthe position of the lever down (possible to a certain degree); and (2) ride more (you will get use to it).

Anyways, like most Bulleteers, you will tend to use a lot more of the rear brake, as well as trail brake. Difficult to unlearn a lifetime of riding habits.
Old 8th October 2013, 14:14   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Dr,

Lever positions can be adjusted I guess.
Old 8th October 2013, 15:58   #793
BHPian

Quote:
I am going to the decal or what we call sticker shop here. Here is the bike with more reduction in weight.
The bike looks way better without those ugly decals. Wish KTM had designed them better. How did you get them off without damage?

I'm definitely getting rid of the mud-flap, hand guard, rear hugger and sari guard too - useless weight if you ask me. Wondering if the engine guard is required if you install crash blobs.

Should have my bike by next weekend. Cant wait to take it out on the road. And to the track.
Old 8th October 2013, 16:28   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500modder View Post
Wondering if the engine guard is required if you install crash blobs.
The hard plastic/fiber belly pan definitely provides some protection to the bottom of the sump, though would not be as strong or protective as a dedicated metal alu sump guard/bash plate. The crash bobs are not really needed since you already have company fitted crash guards (which do work). Anyways they would protect only the sides, not the bottom, which is where damage could occur if you ride rough off road.
Old 8th October 2013, 16:44   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The hard plastic/fiber belly pan definitely provides some protection to the bottom of the sump, though would not be as strong or protective as a dedicated metal alu sump guard/bash plate. The crash bobs are not really needed since you already have company fitted crash guards (which do work). Anyways they would protect only the sides, not the bottom, which is where damage could occur if you ride rough off road.
Hey ebonho, by engine guard I actually meant crash guard. Wondering if I can take off the crash guard and reduce a couple of kilos of weight when on track. But only if the crash bobs/frame sliders can save the engine cases from a royal scratch-up in the event of a crash.

Most Viewed