Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 19:12   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Infact I am thinking of a jugaad portable stand. An half inch dia steel pipe /rod about a 15" long ( I mean appropriate length) or so welded / bolted to a sturdy lockable castor wheel. the upper portion of the steel pipe one can weld a half section of connecting rod bearing or something like that to form a cup to support and hold the bike frame in position. The whole contraption will cost a few hundred rupee and can be done is a few hours. and it could function similar to the above telescopic stand.
Ashwin, I have posted a few photographs sometime back of the paddock stand which is made for the Kreigers, the Bangalore Dukers. It costed 800INR for the first lot and is now available for 1K. Basic, no frills concept and works to the hilt. I have been using this since December. Photos by added_flavour are available on post nr. 1451.
Old 25th May 2014, 05:00   #2387
BHPian

I see a lot of 390's konking off in the middle of the road. Earlier yesterday, I saw a rider trying to push his 390 from the middle of the road while all the cars were honking behind and shortly afterwards, I saw another 390 rider pushing his bike alongside the road. I go upto him and ask him what's wrong and if he needs any help. He says " I really don't know what's wrong, the engine just died on me, ignition isn't helping either". I didn't quite stay around for long but what's happening @KTM? Anyone else facing this dilemma?

Last edited by createrkid : 25th May 2014 at 05:01.
Old 26th May 2014, 10:05   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man. check out this telescopic stand by Dhaval. Last time I asked him the price, he quoted about 3K. But guess it is money well spent.
Wow. That looks indeed cool and portable. Let me check it out! Thanks. I am also considering a local manufactured paddock from the Bangalore 390 Group for around 1000 bucks.

Quote:
I cant wash it more often due to limitations were I am staying ( our apartment does not have a tap at the parking lot and I need to carry the water bucket all the way down from my flat down to the basement which is a lot of work for a lazy bum like me)
Same here with my current apartment! That factor combined with some recent rains ensures that my KTM looks exactly the way they are supposed to look like. EVERYDAY!

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-unnamed.jpg

Time to put the hugger back!
Old 26th May 2014, 11:35   #2389
BHPian

Hello everyone, need some help here. I have covered 8.5k kms and the tires are at the end of there life span. Also due to a puncture, the rear tire keeps losing air.

Now what options do I have for a good rear tire ? I am hearing very good reviews about the Michelin pilot street radial. Any idea how is this tire ?

Lastly, I am heading to ladakh on September end. Will the michelin provide good grip and survive the road. Or should I go with ceat vertigo sport ( 120 sec ). But I know the grip won't be as good as the Michelin's. Kindly suggest.

Regards
Aditya
Old 26th May 2014, 18:14   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hello everyone, need some help here. I have covered 8.5k kms and the tires are at the end of there life span. Also due to a puncture, the rear tire keeps losing air.

Now what options do I have for a good rear tire ? I am hearing very good reviews about the Michelin pilot street radial. Any idea how is this tire ?

Lastly, I am heading to ladakh on September end. Will the michelin provide good grip and survive the road. Or should I go with ceat vertigo sport ( 120 sec ). But I know the grip won't be as good as the Michelin's. Kindly suggest.

Regards
Aditya
Why not stick with the Mets?
Old 26th May 2014, 18:18   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Well because I tend to your a lot and in a few months I will be off to ladakh . I am sure they won't be able to handle the terrain. Second point is that it is considerably expensive than the michelin.
Old 26th May 2014, 18:44   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Aditya
Which Michelin's are you talking about?

Is the 120 section Vertigo Sport of Ceat tubeless or tubed? Wil it fit on the Duke's rim (which is built to take a 150 section tyre)?
Old 26th May 2014, 19:14   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
The metzs will be chewn up by the hostile terrains in no time. The ceat vertigo is a good choice till then and decide on the other options after return.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 19:33   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The metzs will be chewn up by the hostile terrains in no time. The ceat vertigo is a good choice till then and decide on the other options after return.
And for the front wheel?

P.S. Will the Ceat Vertigo be tubeless and will it fit?
Old 26th May 2014, 20:43   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
And for the front wheel?

P.S. Will the Ceat Vertigo be tubeless and will it fit?
Ceat secura sport for the front. The vertigo is tubeless and to protect against puncture, add slime. This was what I was advised by a rally bred brother of mine. I am also in fray for the Ladakh circuit this August.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 21:39   #2396
BHPian

Quote:

My two pence here. Why don't you also consider the MRF Rev-Z tires from the Duke 200, or even the Pirelli Sport Demon tires?

With the MRF tires, you would get the exact same size and specifications for your rims, albeit with a little less grip, but stronger compound tires. With the Pirelli tires, you might have to upsize from 16 to 17, but would get the same size sections, and I'm sure they'll match the Michelins for grip and compound.

I don't have any experience with touring on my bike, so I'm unsure of what tires would be best for the Ladakh terrain, but I've also not heard of Ceat tires being used on any of the modern day motorbikes these days, and from what I know, they're hardy tires, but don't provide good grip, hence thought of suggesting alternatives.

Best of luck with choosing, and do let us know what you end up buying .

Cheers
Old 27th May 2014, 10:09   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man. check out this telescopic stand by Dhaval. Last time I asked him the price, he quoted about 3K. But guess it is money well spent.
Sure is. Being portable is the biggest gain.

What is that blue color thing below the side stand base? Is it to reduce the tilt angle of the bike?
Old 27th May 2014, 11:11   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Ceat secura sport for the front. The vertigo is tubeless and to protect against puncture, add slime. This was what I was advised by a rally bred brother of mine. I am also in fray for the Ladakh circuit this August.
Thanks! So the front Secura Sport I'm assuming has to be fitted with a tube? Does it fit easily under the stock mudguard? And the rear Seura Vertigo Sport fits on the stock rim of the Duke as a tubeless - or do you have to fit that with a tube as well? Does that tyre (120 section) stay in place safely and hold air, inspite of being fited to a rim dsigned to take a 150 section tyre stock? Would be really great if you could get me the ansers to these questions from your rally friend. Yeah, a friend and I both on Dukes are also planning the circuit in late September-early October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
My two pence here. Why don't you also consider the MRF Rev-Z tires from the Duke 200, or even the Pirelli Sport Demon tires?
Aside from the tougher compound, they would still be smooth surfaced tarmac sport road tyres. Not the best for Ladakh though plenty of people (including our Wolfy here) have done the circuit on Dukes with stock tyres.

Quote:
I don't have any experience with touring on my bike, so I'm unsure of what tires would be best for the Ladakh terrain, but I've also not heard of Ceat tires being used on any of the modern day motorbikes these days, and from what I know, they're hardy tires, but don't provide good grip, hence thought of suggesting alternatives.
Ceat tyres are probably the most widely used brand by Indian rallyists for decades now. They are truly born tough. And do exceptionally well in rallies under tough terrain conditions. Most old timer as well as present crop rally racers swear by them. The Secura Sport is an Indian rally legend and tons of Bullet guys (including me) would use no other tyre.
Old 27th May 2014, 16:26   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks! So the front Secura Sport I'm assuming has to be fitted with a tube? Does it fit easily under the stock mudguard? And the rear Seura Vertigo Sport fits on the stock rim of the Duke as a tubeless - or do you have to fit that with a tube as well? Does that tyre (120 section) stay in place safely and hold air, inspite of being fited to a rim dsigned to take a 150 section tyre stock? Would be really great if you could get me the ansers to these questions from your rally friend. Yeah, a friend and I both on Dukes are also planning the circuit in late September-early October.

Aside from the tougher compound, they would still be smooth surfaced tarmac sport road tyres. Not the best for Ladakh though plenty of people (including our Wolfy here) have done the circuit on Dukes with stock tyres.

Ceat tyres are probably the most widely used brand by Indian rallyists for decades now. They are truly born tough. And do exceptionally well in rallies under tough terrain conditions. Most old timer as well as present crop rally racers swear by them. The Secura Sport is an Indian rally legend and tons of Bullet guys (including me) would use no other tyre.
Sir, both the tires will fit as tubeless. A friend is using them in his D200 and is really happy. And I am sure we won't be facing any problem on the D390 too as the rims are the same. But I am still not sure what to get. Either the michelin pilot street or the ceat vertigo sport. I have two weeks to decide. Please help !
Old 27th May 2014, 16:36   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, both the tires will fit as tubeless. A friend is using them in his D200 and is really happy. And I am sure we won't be facing any problem on the D390 too as the rims are the same. But I am still not sure what to get. Either the michelin pilot street or the ceat vertigo sport. I have two weeks to decide. Please help !
Ceat Vertigo Sport 120 is tubeless tyre. But Ceat Secura Sport (for the front) is definitely not a tubeless tyre. Please confirm!

I would any day go with the Ceats over the Michelins. Horses for courses. And since you're only using them for this ride, you don't need to break the bank either (I think you can get both Ceats in the price of one Michelin - check ).

P.S. Doc is fine. No sir please buddy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks