Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2014, 19:12   #2326
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi All,

One more question, the EU Duke 390 manual downloadable from the website indicates 1.6l of Engine oil to be used. However, our Indian copies of the Duke 390 user manual has no mention of the quantity(unless ive missed it) There is a mention of 1.5l engine oil to be changed on the service slips of our manual though.

I wonder why there would be a difference in oil quantity recommended in the EU and Indian version of the exact same bike?

Can anyone throw some light on this.

Thanks.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:44   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Hi All,

One more question, the EU Duke 390 manual downloadable from the website indicates 1.6l of Engine oil to be used. However, our Indian copies of the Duke 390 user manual has no mention of the quantity(unless ive missed it) There is a mention of 1.5l engine oil to be changed on the service slips of our manual though.

I wonder why there would be a difference in oil quantity recommended in the EU and Indian version of the exact same bike?

Thanks.
That's interesting. I had 1.4 l of 300 V filled in on my first service.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:52   #2328
BHPian

I had posted earlier about a noise i keep hearing from the engine of my 390. It increased to the point i could clearly hear it with a helmet on and i took it to KTM Banjara.

Srikanth checked the bike and told me it was a known issue, to do with the clutch basket spring which needs replacing. My clutch felt looser and the gearshifts got really hard, i kept hitting neutral while moving to 2nd. Supposedly this is a trademark symptom and a whole batch of bikes delivered have this issue.

It's an hour's job and should deal with the issue effectively. Will update the group on Monday once i'm through with it.
Old 19th April 2014, 20:36   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
That's interesting. I had 1.4 l of 300 V filled in on my first service.

1.4l would be less IMO. How does the oil level look on your bike?
Old 20th April 2014, 02:17   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Low pressure could be ONE factor. May not be the only factor.

Like Doc said, speed could be another. AFAIK, the same rims do duty world wide.

Yes low pressure could be a factor But there are certain other things too. Its a relatively new bike and is not flying off the shelves like the commuter bikes but still there are several cases of rim breakage reported over the forums itself. In addition to this, think about the 390 owners who are not a part of any of the forums.

Speed could be another factor but what about lakhs of those motorcycles, running on low profile tubeless tyres, without any routine tyre pressure checks, at speeds of anything from 0-100 over potholes of varied shapes and sizes with their rims intact?

Agree that same rims do the duty worldwide, but here potholes are on duty 24/7. Is it that Bajaj/KTM expecting Indian roads to grow up overnight?
Old 20th April 2014, 12:19   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
This thing about tyre pressure breaking rims is truck loads of <you know what>.

Tyre pressure on my bike is checked very regularly and I maintain it 26 in the front and 30 on the rear. In spite of this, I hit a pothole in Bangalore as I was following a big vehicle and couldn't avoid the pothole when it appeared in front of me all of a sudden. And yes, I bent my rim!

Let's face it. On the pretext of reducing weight, they did not build Indian-road-worthy rims! As simple as that.
Totally agree, 1-2psi less or more can not be a reason for bent rims. You can not inflate tyres with that level of accuracy anyway - pressure gauge error, temperature too play a role. It is a problem that KTM must address by way of recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The front is supposed to be 25 psi not 28 psi. The rear solo is supposed to be 28.5 psi (I round it off to 29).

I was not aware that the profile of the MRF Revz on the 200 were different to the Metzelers on the 390. I thought the dimension specs of the two tyres were identical. Can you please confirm?
I know its meant to be 25 psi in front but I usually let the petrol pump attendant fill it to 26 as they do with all two wheelers. Some members here seem to advocate that a little higher pressure would keep their rims safe but I do not think that's the case. Even the service advisor at Khivraj motors KG road Bangalore advised that I keep 28 in front and 32psi in rear wheel (even for solo riding). I think higher pressure defeats the purpose of having tires with a nice grip. On the day of purchase, my bike came with 36psi on both tires and the ride felt extremely bumpy.

Quote:
And let's face it, this is a uniquey 390 problem. Not affecting the 200s.

What could be the difference?

The rims different?

The tyres different?

The speed when bike hits pothole different?

I can't think of a 4th reason.
Speed is not an issue because mine and a few others' rims were bent at 40-50km/h. I think its the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Low pressure could be ONE factor. May not be the only factor.

Like Doc said, speed could be another. AFAIK, the same rims do duty world wide.
Lot of us ended up with bent rims even with a little higher than recommended pressure, so its not low pressure. All it takes is hitting one nasty pot hole at 50 km/h (very likely when driving behind a big vehicle). The issue will be isolated to India (or a few similar countries) obviously due to our lovely roads.
Old 20th April 2014, 12:25   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks.
Not all the oil gets drained out during service, about 100ml or so still remains inside hence it takes only 1.5l during service even though total oil capacity is 1.6l.

Last edited by ff1609 : 20th April 2014 at 12:27.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 15:21   #2333
BHPian

I read a service notice in the parel service station in Mumbai about what to tell customers when they get bent rims. I will take a picture of it next time. What they were saying is that tire pressure isn't the main cause of bent rims but how your tire goes in the ditch. In case you try to avoid the ditch at the last minute but still end up going in it where a part of the side of your rim which will cause the bends. I have had one such incident with my car alloys when a ran over a rock and as these tires don't go over the rims like say the avenger rear tire this is possible here as well in which the speed won't matter. I felt this was relevant as I had faced it on my car back then hence posting. Tell me what you think.
Old 20th April 2014, 17:09   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Had a question for all of you. I was under the assumption that during the 1st service, the rev limiter was raised to 9500-10500 RPM from the factory shipped 7500 RPMand that this is done by reprogramming the ECU during the service.
My understanding is that there is no rev limit during run-in period. You are expected to limit the revs to 7,000. After the run-in, the limit increases to 10,500. However, there is nothing stopping you from hitting 10K even in the run-in period.

I think you're referring to the shift indicator lamp which can be programmed easily to light up at two different RPMs according to an individual's taste.
Bluu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 19:10   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
I read a service notice in the parel service station in Mumbai about what to tell customers when they get bent rims. I will take a picture of it next time. What they were saying is that tire pressure isn't the main cause of bent rims but how your tire goes in the ditch. In case you try to avoid the ditch at the last minute but still end up going in it where a part of the side of your rim which will cause the bends. I have had one such incident with my car alloys when a ran over a rock and as these tires don't go over the rims like say the avenger rear tire this is possible here as well in which the speed won't matter. I felt this was relevant as I had faced it on my car back then hence posting. Tell me what you think.
You cannot always control how and where you hit a pothole.
Old 20th April 2014, 19:57   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
You cannot always control how and where you hit a pothole.
I agree however the fact that these cases are creeping a plenty is scary and that's the only point that I felt made sense which is causing the bends. The alloy should be more tensile to be able to withstand such impacts.
Old 20th April 2014, 20:15   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
I agree however the fact that these cases are creeping a plenty is scary and that's the only point that I felt made sense which is causing the bends. The alloy should be more tensile to be able to withstand such impacts.
Its not the bends that are worrying me. After all, at worst that is a money thing. Around 4K a wheel (less than the tyre by some margin!).

What worries me is the wheels breaking. Clean off the spokes.

I would rather have spoked wheels in such a case. And live with the weight and tubed tyres.
Old 20th April 2014, 20:20   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would rather have spoked wheels in such a case. And live with the weight and tubed tyres.
Doc,
Is the alloy wheels of KTM such a concern? Would there not be any alternatives that will match the KTM? Am thinking if the FZ wheels can be looked into with some machining required and an adapter plate.
Old 20th April 2014, 20:32   #2339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
Is the alloy wheels of KTM such a concern? Would there not be any alternatives that will match the KTM? Am thinking if the FZ wheels can be looked into with some machining required and an adapter plate.
I think its a concern. And I think KTM and Bajaj need to address it, not the owners.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 21:13   #2340
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what KTMs attitude is in Europe. One accident, because of a known product problem, and they are going to loose their shirts (and pants) in liability costs.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks