Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 21:28   #2356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Any of the owners from Bangalore, getting their bike servived in Indiranagar faced a similar issue? Anything that I can do to fix this?
Yes, a lot of owners have reported this issue after getting their bikes from service. Move the bike for a few km with a light braking this will remove the residue from the disk. Next time you visit the SVC for service, ask them not to do this.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 03:21   #2357
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

"Diesel washing"?

Some idiot sprays diesel fuel on the motorcycle and then washes it off?

That would sure ruin the braking for a while and I would expect it to greatly reduce the power of the front brake too. Any oil/fuel/grease/brake fluid that gets onto the brake disk or pads will reduce or totally eliminate any friction and friction is what makes a brake work.

Ride 10 km with only partial brakes?
Another stupid idea. If the mechanics had to do the riding there soon wouldn't be any mechanics without broken bones.

I know you riders in India think that getting your motorcycle washed and polished is a part of having any service done but if I took my motorcycle in for service I would tell the mechanics/owner, "Do not wash my motorcycle!"

Not only do they do stupid things like putting fluids that don't belong on the machine on it but they use pressure washes to blast the fluids/dirt off.

Pressure washing is (in my opinion) one of the worst things that can be done to a modern motorcycle.
The high pressure water can get into the electronic wiring/connectors and other semi-waterproof areas that should be kept dry.
It can wash out needed lubricants from bearings and get into the switches creating corrosion.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 07:28   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Needed some gyan from the 390 gurus, got mine this month, finished the first service today, during the testride after service, I noticed that the rear brake was completely absent. Took it back to the SVC (Indiranagar, Bangalore), they said that this was due to diesel washing and polishing, and that it is a known issue during service (why they dont prevent this beats me completely), and that the rear brake will be fine after 5-10kms (and they expect me to ride brakeless for this period). I was getting late for a meeting so I left, hoping this will get resolved.

Any of the owners from Bangalore, getting their bike servived in Indiranagar faced a similar issue? Anything that I can do to fix this?
They used diesel to clean your brakes??? The service staff are known to goof up quiet often but this is some seriously retarded stuff.

And to ride such a powerful bike without a working brake is asking for trouble. You should consider using some brake cleaner product immediately - rather than waiting for it to clear up on its own. Just my two cents!!
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:23   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The pricing is obviously very important. Any idea what the desi "tuning houses" (Red rooster, Joel and the likes) usually charge for a remap? Should be a good base line to ascertain value proposition. I hope they do not go the powerparts way; and I dont think they would. Powerparts are all imported from Austria (the quality is top notch though). These maps would not have to deal with the Indian customs and hence should be competitively priced.
http://racedynamics.in/powertronic-ktm-duke-390/ - they have it for 15K. FM Psycho has is installed and is very happy with it. Check his ownership thread for impressions.

Kiirus also have a remap for 12.5K. There is a comparo here: http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/ktm-d...-remap-review/

Last edited by Bluu : 2nd May 2014 at 11:25.
Bluu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:39   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
They used diesel to clean your brakes??? The service staff are known to goof up quiet often but this is some seriously retarded stuff.

And to ride such a powerful bike without a working brake is asking for trouble. You should consider using some brake cleaner product immediately - rather than waiting for it to clear up on its own. Just my two cents!!
Registered an online complaint, KTM service got into quick action and fixed the issue (they basically cleaned the brakes). Took the opportunity to test the rear ABS, works like a charm, whenever the rear wheel locks ABS makes a "khhatt" noise and releases the lock. Niiccee!
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:24   #2361
Senior - BHPian

'Diesel wash' is a known devil, especially in RE circle. I have used diesel & kerosine myself to clean CERTAIN areas of my RE where the oil sweats mixed with dust, dirt, water, etc make a grime over a period of time. under the engine housing, around the fins, main stand joinery area, and rims (i dont use a chain guard as it interferes with the SA, so the chain lube sprays on the rim and overtime, gets difficult to get rid of). the diesel/ kerosine helps greatly in easily getting rid of these. Just dip a 4 inch paint brush in diesel and rub it around the dirty area and watch the magic. One is got to know where to use them, and not all over the bike. especailly no where close to rotor, etc. Dont think bikes like KTM require diesel wash. There are brake cleaning fluids available off the shelf.

OK, got my second service done from Autoservice. was not greatly impressed. Had prebooked for a 'stay' service and had to stay there for 6 hours. :( average workmanship, and bikes does not feel any much different after the service. INSPIRE of putting in the now famous motul 300v - 15W50. 2nd service requires change of fuel, oil and air filter, for which a lot of parts have to be opened. If not assembled well, the result could be added vibes/ rattles, and i am facing them. Got to take care of these issues myself. Also, the chain adjustment was performed such that now it slaps more then, before the service.

ANOTHER QUERY: the had run out of the 390 airfilter, so they installed a DISCOVER airfilter. They said its the same thing. I checked it myself, and found them to be identical. Can any one confirm if bajaj makes same filter for their KTM and discover motorcycles?
Old 6th May 2014, 11:34   #2362
Senior - BHPian

HELP!! HELP!!! HELP!!!!

last night, while riding home from work, i could hear some additional noise coming from the front wheel area, as if something is stuck in the wheel and making noise with each revolution. stopped to inspect but could not see anything as it was 9 pm with less ambient light. slowly rode to home and inspected the bike. Found the front fork right side seal busted FOR THE SECOND TIME in 6k kms. The same form seal was busted at around 3k kms last and the seal was replaced at autoservice, banashankri, bangalore. Now its happened again. i have been mostly riding on good roads, without any incident of hitting potholes/ humps at higher speeds.

I dont want to get the seal replaced again, but want to press for the entire right side USD fork replacement under warranty, as replacing just the seal may break again.
please help with a PM on any contact numbers of KTM area service representative/ mail ids/ process to make noise about this dual fork busting incident, to get a replacement.
Old 6th May 2014, 12:49   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
last night, while riding home from work, i could hear some additional noise coming from the front wheel area, as if something is stuck in the wheel and making noise with each revolution.
Thats bad! But I don't think a busted oil seal will make such a sound. Did you inspect the disc rotor/wheel hub and see if something is stuck there?
Old 6th May 2014, 14:44   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats bad! But I don't think a busted oil seal will make such a sound. Did you inspect the disc rotor/wheel hub and see if something is stuck there?
Nopes.. I saw the oil leaking from the fork and left it there. Wanted to rotate the wheel but gaveup, as it was not feasible to do the same single handed. damn! at times like this, we miss the main stand. will have a good look at it tomorrow morning.
Old 6th May 2014, 18:08   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
damn! at times like this, we miss the main stand.
Every single freaking time. While washing, lubing, wiping and pretty much everytime when I am not riding!

Will it be too much of trouble to design a detachable/easy bolt-on centre stand so that owners can easily fix it when required and remove it while going out for corner carving sessions! Call me backward thinker!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 21:06   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Forgive me for....

Just would love to know how the newer lots fare with the issues like leaking head, fork seals going kaput, and rims shattering on impact (some even argue it could be a crumple zone design feature) any gyaan on this would be real helpful.

Secondly, are there any improvements in the bike w.r.t quality and I've even heard the ECU is remapped (newer lots) for a more progressive feel of the power not the raw brunt that was given on earlier models.

Any other inputs, thoughts, experiences would be real helpful. Thanks.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 6th May 2014 at 21:07.
Old 11th May 2014, 21:38   #2367
BHPian

Commissionable project - check out autologue design on Facebook or their official website.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpg  

Old 12th May 2014, 13:47   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Needed some gyan from the 390 gurus, got mine this month, finished the first service today, during the testride after service, I noticed that the rear brake was completely absent. Took it back to the SVC (Indiranagar, Bangalore), they said that this was due to diesel washing and polishing, and that it is a known issue during service (why they dont prevent this beats me completely), and that the rear brake will be fine after 5-10kms (and they expect me to ride brakeless for this period). I was getting late for a meeting so I left, hoping this will get resolved.

Word of advice - For KTM, avoid Khivraj motors Indiranagar workshop like the plague. The mechanics as well as the manager there do not have the slightest clue about what they are doing. I have been through my share of troubles with them and would never go there again.

One visit to that workshop and my brakes have not been the same again - mind you I have done 2000kms since then! They sprayed chain cleaner and chain lube nicely on the brake disc, I rode the bike for 50kms and the brake simply didnt work. Then they cleaned the disc and brake pads with petrol, scrubbed them with sand paper, turned various screws near the brake disc and under the brake pedal - nothing improved. Finally, one by one, the mechanics and their manager took turns to ride the bike with brake constantly engaged - it was like gang raping the bike in an attempt to wear out the lube! Everything they did, only made the problem worse.

Finally another workshop cleaned the discs and bled the lines - brakes improved but the bite is gone.

This is not the only issue I have had with them, they scaled new heights of incompetence each time I went to them to get missing screws fixed (within a week of delivery) or to get the chain tightened - they are simply incapable of adjusting chain slack without causing more problems.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 15:47   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post

They sprayed chain cleaner and chain lube nicely on the brake disc, I rode the bike for 50kms and the brake simply didnt work. Then they cleaned the disc and brake pads with petrol, scrubbed them with sand paper, turned various screws near the brake disc and under the brake pedal - nothing improved. Finally, one by one, the mechanics and their manager took turns to ride the bike with brake constantly engaged - it was like gang raping the bike in an attempt to wear out the lube! Everything they did, only made the problem worse.

Finally another workshop cleaned the discs and bled the lines - brakes improved but the bite is gone.

I've had similar experiences in the past (Pulsar, Khivraj). They all do it in the name of cleaning. Stupid practice!

Once you get oil or lubricant on the brake pads, it's very hard to get rid of. The first thing to try is to remove the pads, clean them with brake cleaner or petrol to remove the lubricant. Rub with 80 grade emery on a flat surface to remove a SMALL layer of friction material. Refit the pads and try again. Normally, when you rub the friction material with emery, the bite in the pads is lost but is soon regained (in about 10 km of city riding). If this still doesn't solve it, replace the pads with new ones.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 22:49   #2370
BHPian

Thanks ff1609 & Motard_Blr, indeed they seem to bungle all the time. Switching to Kasturba Road for good, heard some positive stories from some regulars. But then again it's a devil's bargain. Fingers crossed.

Most Viewed